Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 14 »

Re: Uber, Lyft, and traffic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
WhoElseCouldIBe They have solved the problem of drivers like me complaining by getting "better" qualified candidates and lowering vehicle standards to allow hoopties. And yes this applies to NJ.

"Uber Says It Will Begin To Accept Drivers In Connecticut With Minor Criminal Records" http://www.courant.com/news/connectic ... -1118-20161118-story.html

Posted on: 2016/11/29 23:33
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Thanks. That might possibly been the case but after you book the ride can they raise the rate mid ride?

Lyft says no. "You?ll never take a ride with Prime Time without agreeing to do so."

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/article ... Prime-Time-for-Passengers

I assume Uber works the same way.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
I have a question regarding Lyft. I recently took one home from Princeton. The fare said $45.00 but I was charged $215.00.....

The Lyft app will prompt you whenever higher fares are in effect. Maybe you just didn't notice it.

I always double-check the trip estimate before requesting the ride. That will include any peak charges.

Thanks. That might possibly been the case but after you book the ride can they raise the rate mid ride?

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/11/23 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Traffic has been bad the last week or so, but to say it's because of a surge in Uber and Lyft drivers is ridiculous. If anything it's because of additional roadwork on Newark Ave, Magnolia, and some other streets in the area. OP do you really think that such a significant number of the cars on the streets are cab drivers? Come on.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Wow, you can afford to live in downtown but you can't afford to tip a driver?! Here is a story of a driver who work 60 hours and only netted $350 (driver does not get vacation time or matching ss wages on that either). Uber won't put a psa since it will be bad for business and the bottomline since they paying for slave labor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUXHMsqj2Go&t=288s

I already told you, if Uber wanted me to tip their drivers they would build it into their app like Lyft. Nobody is forcing anyone to drive for Uber. The fact is, this is one of the easiest jobs to ever exist and therefore should be paid that way.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Has anyone notice that the amount of Taxis has gone though the roof along with traffic during rush hour?

Nope

Quote:
These apps have made it extremly easy for someone to hail a ride but the traffic has become unbearable.

Not that I've seen

Quote:
The amount drivers has gone significantly since they reduce the vehicle age requirement to vehicles 2001 or newer instead of 2006 or newer before.

Can you actually prove any of what you're saying?

I mean... granted, I don't expect you to do your own traffic study. But it seems a bit ridiculous to claim that there is an exponential increase of cars on the road, because you feel like there is more traffic now.

Quote:
Open your app and see how many cars you have in your area during rush hour.

Those apps don't tell you how many cars stay off the road, because people are using ride shares / taxis instead of driving their own cars around.

Quote:
I did a stint as a driver and stopped after I kept getting paid 3.71 per 25 minute ride and nobody tipped no matter if you gave them treats and excellent service.

So, wait. Ride sharing is fine when you did it, but not now because you were apparently bad at it?

And I know drivers don't get huge compensation, but they certainly do better than $8/hour. (It's closer to $20/hour after costs)

P.S. I always tip taxis / car services etc, when the driver does a good job (which is almost every time).

LOL! Have you driven for Uber buddy?! There is no way you can make that much after expenses unless it's extremly bad weather or something like the Path shutting down with extreme surge. Spoke with many other drivers and confirmed what was hapening to me was happening to them. With Uberpool drivers makes less but Uber makes more since the riders split the fare and the driver does not get extra money for stopping and picking another person up but Uber does gets an extra booking fee for each additional passenger. The booking fee is not paid to the driver. Go read some of the drivers experiences on Youtube or ask a driver next time.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 15:31
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Wow, you can afford to live in downtown but you can't afford to tip a driver?! Here is a story of a driver who work 60 hours and only netted $350 (driver does not get vacation time or matching ss wages on that either). Uber won't put a psa since it will be bad for business and the bottomline since they paying for slave labor.

Do you tip your gas station attendant? Your cashier?

Why not? Can't afford it?

Yer goddam right, I almost always give those poor bastards a dollar with my credit car when I fill up, a lousy freakin' dollar on a $30-35 tank of gas is nothing and they are always thankful and attentive.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
I have a question regarding Lyft. I recently took one home from Princeton. The fare said $45.00 but I was charged $215.00.....

The Lyft app will prompt you whenever higher fares are in effect. Maybe you just didn't notice it.

I always double-check the trip estimate before requesting the ride. That will include any peak charges.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Has anyone notice that the amount of Taxis has gone though the roof along with traffic during rush hour?

Nope

Quote:
These apps have made it extremly easy for someone to hail a ride but the traffic has become unbearable.

Not that I've seen

Quote:
The amount drivers has gone significantly since they reduce the vehicle age requirement to vehicles 2001 or newer instead of 2006 or newer before.

Can you actually prove any of what you're saying?

I mean... granted, I don't expect you to do your own traffic study. But it seems a bit ridiculous to claim that there is an exponential increase of cars on the road, because you feel like there is more traffic now.

Quote:
Open your app and see how many cars you have in your area during rush hour.

Those apps don't tell you how many cars stay off the road, because people are using ride shares / taxis instead of driving their own cars around.

Quote:
I did a stint as a driver and stopped after I kept getting paid 3.71 per 25 minute ride and nobody tipped no matter if you gave them treats and excellent service.

So, wait. Ride sharing is fine when you did it, but not now because you were apparently bad at it?

And I know drivers don't get huge compensation, but they certainly do better than $8/hour. (It's closer to $20/hour after costs)

P.S. I always tip taxis / car services etc, when the driver does a good job (which is almost every time).

Posted on: 2016/11/22 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Promo for those of you traveling that have AMEX! Remember to tip your drivers!

This holiday season, American Express? Card Members can enjoy 2 free Uber rides (up to $65 each) originating from select airports.
Just enter the code AMEXAIRPORT in your Uber app prior to requesting a ride, select an American Express Card as payment for the ride, and complete your trips before 12/31/16. Prepaid Cards not eligible. See full terms below.*
Participating airports
?LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
?John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
?Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
?Chicago O?Hare International Airport (ORD)
?Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
?Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
?Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
?McCarran International Airport (LAS)
?George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
?Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
?Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
https://www.uber.com/promo/american-express-airport-rides-2016/

Posted on: 2016/11/22 14:12
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
It says I was charged 300% for prime time. I did not see this stated when I booked the ride. This was roughly 1am so it was not due to traffic. It was starting to snow. Is it possible to have your rate change during your ride depending on the conditions you encounter?

With Lyft I believe it is if demand is really high, with Uber the price you see will be the price you pay unless you go through tolls or cause damage to the vehicle. They recently changed that with Uber. BTW Uber will be offering free Uberpool rides in NYC for small business Saturday. Tip the driver at least a $1 since they absolutely hate Uberpool just go on youtube if you don't believe me.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home ... ight-Shop-Dance-Ride-Dine

Posted on: 2016/11/22 2:44
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It says I was charged 300% for prime time. I did not see this stated when I booked the ride. This was roughly 1am so it was not due to traffic. It was starting to snow. Is it possible to have your rate change during your ride depending on the conditions you encounter?

Posted on: 2016/11/22 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
I have a question regarding Lyft. I recently took one home from Princeton. The fare said $45.00 but I was charged $215.00. I know there are peak times with higher rates but shouldn't that be stated when you agree. I have sent an email to them without any response. I did notice today I was sent an email to rate my driver but nothing about my fare. Has anyone experienced this? Should I have my credit card reject the charge? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Was this during primetime? Did you encounter a ridiculous amount of traffic? Did you vomit in the car or cause any damage? CS is usually helpful so ask for a breakdown of what you were charged.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 2:15
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have a question regarding Lyft. I recently took one home from Princeton. The fare said $45.00 but I was charged $215.00. I know there are peak times with higher rates but shouldn't that be stated when you agree. I have sent an email to them without any response. I did notice today I was sent an email to rate my driver but nothing about my fare. Has anyone experienced this? Should I have my credit card reject the charge? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/11/22 1:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
would love to have an option to pre-set my tip on uber app - it just doesn't exist and I do not often have cash...when i do, I usually do tip when appropriate.

Many uber users and I assume drivers have suggested this feature - which would be optional

Posted on: 2016/11/22 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:

All those are paid minimum wage and considered employs not independent contractors meaning they get benefits and they don't have to pay anything else but for uniforms. You don't tip a server or a regular taxi cab? Can't afford it?

Posted on: 2016/11/22 0:08
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:

Posted on: 2016/11/21 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/21 23:19
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
how do you even know how much to tip out of pocket? I don't know my total fare cost till after i'm out of the car.

The whole idea of Uber when I started was a fast experience where you don't need to worry about tip. It makes no sense to hail an uber on your phone, track its whereabouts on your phone, find out how much it costs on your phone, pay for it on your phone and then have to dig out your wallet and hope you have some small bills. I'm gonna stick with that until Uber does a nationwide PSA about it. The drivers should just drive for Lyft if it's that big of a problem.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Has anyone notice that the amount of Taxis has gone though the roof along with traffic during rush hour? These apps have made it extremly easy for someone to hail a ride but the traffic has become unbearable. The amount drivers has gone significantly since they reduce the vehicle age requirement to vehicles 2001 or newer instead of 2006 or newer before. The number of cars that can be out at the same time should be controlled because I'm tired of sitting in traffic looking at Uber cars. Open your app and see how many cars you have in your area during rush hour. I did a stint as a driver and stopped after I kept getting paid 3.71 per 25 minute ride and nobody tipped no matter if you gave them treats and excellent service. Enjoy the service but don't forget to tip, many drivers are making less than minimum wage after expenses.

You bring up 2 totally different subjects or maybe they're not so different as far as motives in posting. But that's another story.

I always tip Uber drivers. However, I don't blame anyone for not tipping because Uber gives the consumer the impression that the tip is included in the fare... up until recently but it's now ingrained in peoples' thinking. And even now, Uber doesn't overtly state or imply that tipping is suggested. I think Uber sucks for having such a duplicitous policy, and as stated, for not including a page to tip in their app like Lyft. However, your beef should be with Uber, not the consumer.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be more than happy to tip a percentage to many of my Uber drivers, a lot of them are WAY more personable and professional than your typical cabby. Did they launch their new app yet, is that going to be built in? i hope so.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I haven't noticed this.

But, to your other complaint, Uber policy is to be cash free and not require tipping - that's the point - so if they want to be like Lyft and offer tipping options, it needs to be on the app. I often have no cash whatsoever on my person. Complaining about customers what it's the brand's policy and/or app that troubles you is misdirected.

So the fact that most of drivers like me were making less than minimum wage and subsidizing your taxi ride is misdirecting my anger? Uber no longer discourages people from tipping so that policy has changed, but the mentality hasn't. Many of the people I took have no problem tipping at a restaurant or tipping a regular cab but when it comes to Uber they don't do it.Only 10% of riders tip on the lyft platform anyway so that mentality has got to change. Uber has also reduce what they pay to driver while upping what they charge the passenger with upfront pricing. Please be a decent human being carry a couple of dollars and tip.

You can tip on a card at a restaurant, you can't with Uber. Like the previous poster, I rarely carry cash as I don't need it. If Uber wanted to encourage tipping, they would easily add it to the app.

If that doesn't work for you, then don't work for Uber.

I already stopped with them but could not stand the fact that I was stuck in traffic on Saturday next to drivers who had the app on and one of the cars was falling apart, they had had to lower standards in order to replace all the drivers who have had enough.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 20:25
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I haven't noticed this.

But, to your other complaint, Uber policy is to be cash free and not require tipping - that's the point - so if they want to be like Lyft and offer tipping options, it needs to be on the app. I often have no cash whatsoever on my person. Complaining about customers what it's the brand's policy and/or app that troubles you is misdirected.

So the fact that most of drivers like me were making less than minimum wage and subsidizing your taxi ride is misdirecting my anger? Uber no longer discourages people from tipping so that policy has changed, but the mentality hasn't. Many of the people I took have no problem tipping at a restaurant or tipping a regular cab but when it comes to Uber they don't do it.Only 10% of riders tip on the lyft platform anyway so that mentality has got to change. Uber has also reduce what they pay to driver while upping what they charge the passenger with upfront pricing. Please be a decent human being carry a couple of dollars and tip.

You can tip on a card at a restaurant, you can't with Uber. Like the previous poster, I rarely carry cash as I don't need it. If Uber wanted to encourage tipping, they would easily add it to the app.

If that doesn't work for you, then don't work for Uber.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I haven't noticed this.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 19:40
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't noticed this.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 19:20

Uber, Lyft, and traffic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone notice that the amount of Taxis has gone though the roof along with traffic during rush hour? These apps have made it extremly easy for someone to hail a ride but the traffic has become unbearable. The amount drivers has gone significantly since they reduce the vehicle age requirement to vehicles 2001 or newer instead of 2006 or newer before. The number of cars that can be out at the same time should be controlled because I'm tired of sitting in traffic looking at Uber cars. Open your app and see how many cars you have in your area during rush hour. I did a stint as a driver and stopped after I kept getting paid 3.71 per 25 minute ride and nobody tipped no matter if you gave them treats and excellent service. Enjoy the service but don't forget to tip, many drivers are making less than minimum wage after expenses.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 18:54
ಠ_ಠ

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/1 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
If taxis want to compete more effectively with Lucy and Uber, they should have suvs

Posted on: 2016/6/28 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/16 8:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Austin, Texas votes out UBER and other ride sharing companies: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-ridesharing-idUSKCN0XZ034

Posted on: 2016/5/8 13:23
Get on your bikes and ride !

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017