Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 »

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to learn more about Lyft. $22-24 from Manhattan is fantastic. How much can I expect to pay Lyft from the Gowanus section of Brooklyn to Grove Street area?

Posted on: 2014/9/24 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Hoboken cracks down on Uber drivers despite customers' rave reviews of service

On a night in early August, Uber driver Joseph Broytman had just picked up a customer in Hoboken, when a police officer stopped him and knocked on his window.

The officer told the woman to get out of the vehicle at Washington and Eighth streets and call a Yellow Taxi, Broytman said.

When she insisted on calling another Uber car, the officer said he'd just force her to exit that one, too.

More

She should have just walked over another block or something where the police officer couldn't see her.

Anyway, I thought the law in Hoboken says you need to be a licensed taxi only for picking up and dropping off in Hoboken on the same trip. In other words, you can't take Uber from one Hoboken address to another Hoboken address, only a licensed taxi can do that. However, if you are getting into an Uber car and your destination is outsdie of Hoboken, there is no problem. Did the officer think to ask the woman what her final destination was?

I tried taking UBERx from the Hoboken Path station. Same deal, cop knocked on window, informed the driver it was illegal for him to pick up passengers. Also, asked where I was going...with was DTJC, obviously not within Hoboken. Nevertheless, he told me I couldn't take UBERx. Wish i would have known this detail beforehand and argued. Cop offered to get me a yellow taxi, which conveniently was right there waiting. Seemed like a scam to be honest...so I declined and just took the Path.

I remember reading that news story before. Question - couldn't you have just walked a block over or something so the cop couldn't see you? I wouldn't try it at the PATH station. Just wondering because I'm headed down to Hoboken later today, and I just LOATHE their taxicabs.

I suppose so, but at the time, I had no idea that the cops were doing this.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 15:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Does anyone have much experience with lyft in jersey city?

I use Lyft. I've taken about 15 rides in the last couple of months - mostly in JC and once to Manhattan.

I used to LOVE it. The business model is that it's less town car feel and more, friendly upbeat and fun. It was awesome and cheap! I would take it from Dixon Mills to Home Depot for $6, Dixon Mills to Journal Square $8, Dixon Mill to NJCU $12. Or to Union City was $18. Into Manhattan $12 but from Manhattan to JC $22 or $24.

It was amazing when I first started using it 2 months ago, then recently all the NYC medallion drivers came to NJ and it started to become like one of the car services that you call up. I'm disappointed in that since Lyft's business model was deeply rooted in the feel of catching a ride with someone who "could" be a friend.

I still use it. I think I've read too many slamming articles on Salon.com about Uber to try it.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

On a night in early August, Uber driver Joseph Broytman had just picked up a customer in Hoboken, when a police officer stopped him and knocked on his window.

The officer told the woman to get out of the vehicle at Washington and Eighth streets and call a Yellow Taxi, Broytman said.

When she insisted on calling another Uber car, the officer said he'd just force her to exit that one, too.

More

She should have just walked over another block or something where the police officer couldn't see her.

Anyway, I thought the law in Hoboken says you need to be a licensed taxi only for picking up and dropping off in Hoboken on the same trip. In other words, you can't take Uber from one Hoboken address to another Hoboken address, only a licensed taxi can do that. However, if you are getting into an Uber car and your destination is outsdie of Hoboken, there is no problem. Did the officer think to ask the woman what her final destination was?

I tried taking UBERx from the Hoboken Path station. Same deal, cop knocked on window, informed the driver it was illegal for him to pick up passengers. Also, asked where I was going...with was DTJC, obviously not within Hoboken. Nevertheless, he told me I couldn't take UBERx. Wish i would have known this detail beforehand and argued. Cop offered to get me a yellow taxi, which conveniently was right there waiting. Seemed like a scam to be honest...so I declined and just took the Path.

I remember reading that news story before. Question - couldn't you have just walked a block over or something so the cop couldn't see you? I wouldn't try it at the PATH station. Just wondering because I'm headed down to Hoboken later today, and I just LOATHE their taxicabs.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've been a huge Uber supporter, since I love any business that disrupts old business models and encourages competition. But there's a dark side to all of this - talk to any Uberx driver or read some of their blogs, and you'll see that the company has engaged in some pretty shady tactics. They dropped prices this year to increase ridership, promising drivers that they'd make up the difference in volume...but at the same time they're flooding the streets with new cars and drivers. Lots of these guys are making minimum wage or less, and they're pretty much locked in because they've leased cars that they now have to pay for.

Maybe you don't care about this, and maybe you'd say "sorry sucker, you bought into a bad deal." But myself, I'm going to start giving my Uberx driver an extra $5 in cash. I'll feel like a sport, and the guy will increase his margins.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

More

Posted on: 2014/9/24 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have much experience with lyft in jersey city?

Posted on: 2014/9/24 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This could set a new precedent for getting around the law.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 19:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
More Hoboken residents, including Councilman At-Large David Mello, are coming out in support of the popular app-based car service, Uber.

While Hoboken is actively enforcing municipal code that says it's illegal for Uber, Lyft or any other taxi service not licensed by the city to pick up fares within the city, many say it's time for the police department to focus on other issues, and for laws to accommodate Uber. Some have even formed a Facebook community, Hoboken Uber Lovers.

WATCH: Hoboken councilman takes Uber ride, says car service should be legal

Posted on: 2014/8/29 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I've used Lyft a couple of times to get from downtown to the West Bergen area. It was $8.00 and very convenient.

There is nevertheless the unpleasant fact that these companies, as part of their business model, are wilfully skirting the law, operating in a gray area at best and simply ignoring regulations at worst. This is obscured by the fact that the service is popular among the wired, and that the traditional taxi service is generously described as spotty.

With mobile apps, and a sufficient number of drivers, the one advantage that taxis have, the ability to take street hails, is limited. Taxi drivers often have paid a lot to get their medallion/license, and operate under regulated conditions that often make it difficult for them to earn a living. So I do understand the objections when a startup company comes along and says "No, we're just a transportation network company, not a taxi or car service company."

But it could very well be that it is time to reconsider how we regulate the private transportation industry. How much of these regulations have bona fide safety and consumer protection at issue, and how much is just "rent seeking" by taxi drivers?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
It's great that Hoboken police have no other crimes to worry about.

They do, this is just one more. You know like Airbnb.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:37
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's great that Hoboken police have no other crimes to worry about.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

More

Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

More

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
Uber may not be a car service, but I'll take its imitation over the real thing any day.

As others have said, the JC cabs are laughably, disgustingly decrepit; half the time you get crammed alongside other fares whether you like it or not; and riding in one feels like a Choose Your Own Adventure, death-wish edition.

Uber has been a game changer for us.

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I just want to be clear and make people aware that Uber and Lyft are NOT car services nor are they regulated like one. People have the mistaken notion they are car services and it's a notion the companies don't mind perpetuating.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
If Uber or Lyft are like a car service with more bells and whistles, maybe the car services out there need to start providing those bells and whistles too - have any car/limo companies considered creating an app for smartphones? They may be unfair competition, but fighting back simply by whining to the city council and/or state should not be your only actions.

Like any business, you need to evolve and change with the times, and give people a reason to use you instead of Uber or Lyft. Forcing Uber and Lyft out of business will only work temporarily for you - there will always be another company out there that offers something like this, in some places, Sidecar and Gett have emerged. It's too good of a product to not exist. Seems like the car service and taxi industries only want to fight and win battles, ignoring the big picture and ultimately losing the war.

A taxi medallion in Jersey City costs about one-hundred thousand dollars, and in New York City they?re at least a million. If you?re in the taxi business, you?re deep in the hole before you can pick up a single passenger. How do you compete with a business that is able to charge customers less because they avoid traditional licensing fees by taking advantage of an abstract concept? An app isn?t going to solve that problem.

I don't know what else to tell you. The cost of a medallion - which I assume you have to buy for both taxis and car services - isn't my or any other customer's problem. I didn't say an app would solve everything either, I said that the car services and taxi industries need to adapt and change with the times too. They seem to be reluctant to do so. Exactly what they need to do, I don't know, but lobbying government to shut down Uber and Lyft will not solve the problem in the long term anyway. This is a concept that people love and it isn't going away anytime soon.

As soon as Uber or any other service of that type is gone from the area thanks to your efforts, another service will sinply take its place. I assume you don't like gypsy cabs either but they continue to exist and when there's a problem, they are even harder to track than anyone who drives for Uber/Lyft/Sidecar/Gett.

Welcome to our capitalist society. Uber and Lyft seem to be working to provide something the customer wants, while the car service and taxi industry are simply fighting to keep things the same. I have no sympathy, regardless of how much you spent on a medallion.

This, exactly. I would also add that if the industry as a whole is SO IN THE HOLE from the cost of medallions and licensing, maybe they should invest all that money spent on lobbying and campaigning against Uber/Lyft in relief for its members.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
If Uber or Lyft are like a car service with more bells and whistles, maybe the car services out there need to start providing those bells and whistles too - have any car/limo companies considered creating an app for smartphones? They may be unfair competition, but fighting back simply by whining to the city council and/or state should not be your only actions.

Like any business, you need to evolve and change with the times, and give people a reason to use you instead of Uber or Lyft. Forcing Uber and Lyft out of business will only work temporarily for you - there will always be another company out there that offers something like this, in some places, Sidecar and Gett have emerged. It's too good of a product to not exist. Seems like the car service and taxi industries only want to fight and win battles, ignoring the big picture and ultimately losing the war.

A taxi medallion in Jersey City costs about one-hundred thousand dollars, and in New York City they?re at least a million. If you?re in the taxi business, you?re deep in the hole before you can pick up a single passenger. How do you compete with a business that is able to charge customers less because they avoid traditional licensing fees by taking advantage of an abstract concept? An app isn?t going to solve that problem.

I don't know what else to tell you. The cost of a medallion - which I assume you have to buy for both taxis and car services - isn't my or any other customer's problem. I didn't say an app would solve everything either, I said that the car services and taxi industries need to adapt and change with the times too. They seem to be reluctant to do so. Exactly what they need to do, I don't know, but lobbying government to shut down Uber and Lyft will not solve the problem in the long term anyway. This is a concept that people love and it isn't going away anytime soon.

As soon as Uber or any other service of that type is gone from the area thanks to your efforts, another service will sinply take its place. I assume you don't like gypsy cabs either but they continue to exist and when there's a problem, they are even harder to track than anyone who drives for Uber/Lyft/Sidecar/Gett.

Welcome to our capitalist society. Uber and Lyft seem to be working to provide something the customer wants, while the car service and taxi industry are simply fighting to keep things the same. I have no sympathy, regardless of how much you spent on a medallion.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I agree that yellow and white cabs in Jersey City are mostly terrible?both the equipment and the personnel?but a business model like Uber?s has same potential to undermine the competition regardless. I don?t mind seeing bad companies and bad drivers take a hit, but they won?t be alone. Uber sells the same product as a car service, albeit with more bells and whistles, but it avoids a car service?s much greater overhead. That?s not fair competition, and seems it would have the potential to become a race to the bottom.

I call a car service in Jersey City when I need a car at a specific time, like going to the airport. I would never use Uber or Lyft in that instance.

For a ride somewhere "on demand" in Jersey City, I used to use taxis, never a car service. Now I use Uber or Lyft. If there are any "good" taxis in Jersey City, I never saw or rode in one.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that yellow and white cabs in Jersey City are mostly terrible?both the equipment and the personnel?but a business model like Uber?s has same potential to undermine the competition regardless. I don?t mind seeing bad companies and bad drivers take a hit, but they won?t be alone. Uber sells the same product as a car service, albeit with more bells and whistles, but it avoids a car service?s much greater overhead. That?s not fair competition, and seems it would have the potential to become a race to the bottom.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
My understanding of how they operate is that any schmuck with a decent car and a driver's license can become a driver.\

That would be UberX, not the original and still existing Uber Black service. Here is an article:

http://detroit.legalexaminer.com/auto ... -uberx-rights-if-injured/

Uber Black ? (Similar to a limo or metro car service)
?Premium option,
?Licensed chauffeurs of black sedans and SUVs,
?Follows state law,
?Background checks on drivers,
?$1 million in liability insurance,
?Cars inspected once a year to earn certification sticker that?s visible on back window to police.

UberX ? (Free for all)
?Low cost option,
?Drivers use their own vehicles,
?No licensed chauffeurs, and not required to get ?vehicle for hire? licenses,
?Background check on drivers,
?$1 million in primary coverage ? when a driver is transporting a passenger.

You neglected to note the last three paragraphs of that article, which basically proves my point:

Uber has responded by saying it?s primarily a technology business and doesn?t need to comply with local and state taxi and limo laws that may require higher safety standards.

So, if Uber doesn?t need to comply with local and state laws, what happens if one of its passengers is injured in a crash?

"This question is no longer theoretical. Sadly, lawyers and safety inspectors are asking the question after a recent tragedy in San Francisco, where a 6-year old girl was killed and her mother and brother were seriously injured when an ?Uber-contracted driver? allegedly turned into the crosswalk without yielding, running down the entire family, according to an article by Tech Crunch, ?Uber?s Denial of Liability in Girl?s Death Raises Accident Accountability Questions.?

Because the article is highlighting that UBER Black as "Follows state law", I took this tragic example as one relating to UberX. I don't think the article is clear. Either way, I give Uber 2 thumbs up.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I?m not as concerned with the character and skill of the drivers as I am the business model. What if somebody found a loophole that permitted them to compete for our clients while avoiding the expense and effort that is traditionally required of professionals in our fields? Should we simply ?adapt? and accept lower and lower fees just to stay in business? What's the result of that process?

At this moment, I have not experienced a "professional in this field" while taking a taxi in JC. I've had them try to jam me into cars with other people that don't want an additional rider. I've had them try to overcharge me for trips that would cost less with the meter running. I've seen them try to take longer routes when the meter is on to ring it up.

The business model that exists for taxis is based on minimizing competition and being a conglomerate on transportation.

As far as "accepting lower and lower fees"... there is a floor that exists. I had a driver explain to me that there is a point where Uber can't charge lower rates because it won't make any sense to the driver.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 14:13
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I?m not as concerned with the character and skill of the drivers as I am the business model. What if somebody found a loophole that permitted them to compete for our clients while avoiding the expense and effort that is traditionally required of professionals in our fields? Should we simply ?adapt? and accept lower and lower fees just to stay in business? What's the result of that process?

There has to be some result, because the taxis in Jersey City are just downright frightening. They are mostly old NYC taxis with 90,000+ miles on them that are barely holding together, drivers DEMANDING you tip them, and then 3/4 of the time, they claim their meter is broken and make up a fare which is undoubtedly higher than if the meter had been running. If Uber or Lyft force the taxicab companies to change their ways (like technology has for so many other industries), I consider that a good result. But the taxicab industries in most places where Uber and Lyft operate don't want to change - they just want to whine to their city council and force any potential competition out of business. When are they going to learn, competition is the American way and you have to learn to adapt to it, or find another business?

Taxis in Manhattan are mostly fine, well regulated and in some cases, easier to pick up than Uber or Lyft cars. I'll still take taxis in Manhattan. But in Jersey City I'll be taking Uber and Lyft. If the taxis in Jersey City are regulated, I sure don't see it, and it seems to me they are more of a free for all than Uber or Lyft.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on the side of Uber... sorry, but every time I've used it, the app is fantastic. I see the driver as he's pulling up. Prior to Uber, I took cabs around town. Not only did much of them smell, have ripped seats and generally unpleasant drivers. I have no idea where they are located and the dispatcher says about 15 minutes regardless and they show up in about 20/25.

Every cab I've gotten into at my house has told me $10 to Barcade prior to tip. Uber runs just about $8. The cabbies will never put up the meter unless I force it. The first time I did, I was charged $8 home from Grove.

For all the fears that some have of Uber, I've found the drivers to be far more honest, courteous and cleaner.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
My understanding of how they operate is that any schmuck with a decent car and a driver's license can become a driver.\

That would be UberX, not the original and still existing Uber Black service. Here is an article:

?Premium option,
?Follows state law,
?Cars inspected once a year to earn certification sticker that?s visible on back window to police.

UberX ? (Free for all)
?Low cost option,

You neglected to note the last three paragraphs of that article, which basically proves my point:

Uber has responded by saying it?s primarily a technology business and doesn?t need to comply with local and state taxi and limo laws that may require higher safety standards.

So, if Uber doesn?t need to comply with local and state laws, what happens if one of its passengers is injured in a crash?

"This question is no longer theoretical. Sadly, lawyers and safety inspectors are asking the question after a recent tragedy in San Francisco, where a 6-year old girl was killed and her mother and brother were seriously injured when an ?Uber-contracted driver? allegedly turned into the crosswalk without yielding, running down the entire family, according to an article by Tech Crunch, ?Uber?s Denial of Liability in Girl?s Death Raises Accident Accountability Questions.?

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
And that's fine for you, Donald Trump. I've used Uber a bunch of times, and the cars were all clean and well-maintained. The drivers were all polite and friendly. The few times I've been in a JC cab, I felt like I was taking my life in my hands. No argument, taxis are great in NYC - but until we really are the Sixth Borough, I'll stick with Uber.

If that works for you that's great. I just want to be clear and make people aware that Uber and Lyft are NOT car services nor are they regulated like one. People have the mistaken notion they are car services and it's a notion the companies don't mind perpetuating. I know they look cool because (gasp!) there have apps and they're cheaper, but people should be aware that with that cheaper ride comes a trade-off.

You're right. And being both cheap and a sucker for apps of any kind, they have me right where they want me.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

?Premium option,
?Follows state law,

UberX ? (Free for all)
?Low cost option,

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
And that's fine for you, Donald Trump. I've used Uber a bunch of times, and the cars were all clean and well-maintained. The drivers were all polite and friendly. The few times I've been in a JC cab, I felt like I was taking my life in my hands. No argument, taxis are great in NYC - but until we really are the Sixth Borough, I'll stick with Uber.

If that works for you that's great. I just want to be clear and make people aware that Uber and Lyft are NOT car services nor are they regulated like one. People have the mistaken notion they are car services and it's a notion the companies don't mind perpetuating. I know they look cool because (gasp!) there have apps and they're cheaper, but people should be aware that with that cheaper ride comes a trade-off.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Uber & Lyft = app-assisted hitchhiking. Just google "Uber safety" and there are a number of hair-raising issues and incidents. No thanks. I'll pay the extra bucks for a properly licensed, regulated and insured taxi or car service.

By that logic, isn't calling a car service phone-assisted hitchhiking? Uber cars are licensed, regulated, and insured so not sure how you are making any distinction other than that all Uber drivers have full background checks done on them (same CANNOT be said about limo and yellow/white taxis) and the entire trip once you are picked up is logged, which is a huge safety feature for women riding alone.

So then why are Uber, Lyft and Sidecar fighting so hard against being regulated in every city they operate? Their standard argument is that they're a tech company and NOT a car service. My understanding of how they operate is that any schmuck with a decent car and a driver's license can become a driver. They often call themselves a "peer-to-peer ride-sharing service." Tech speak for "get into a car with a total stranger." The background checks they do on drivers are cursory at best, and I was under the impression that drivers are carrying nothing more than their personal insurance - which raises a big question of whether their insurance companies would pay up in an accident if they found out they were using their vehicles as a taxi service. And when something does go wrong, Uber typically tries to weasel out of any responsibility. The $1 "safe ride" fee Uber charges is laughable. It guarantees nothing, and my safety is worth more than $1.

I actually feel pretty safe in NYC yellow taxis. The TLC does a pretty decent job regulating them, and all drivers have their hack license and a medallion number displayed so that if something does go wrong, I know I have recourse through the TLC. The lack of regulation is also why I generally don't use JC taxis. The longest ride I ever took in one was between Grove Street and the Heights - that's pretty much my limit. I don't stay out into the wee hours, so taxis/car services aren't a huge expense for me. The only time I ever really need one is early morning or late night trips to/from the airport. Then I'll call the corporate car service my company uses and tell them it's a personal ride I want to charge to my own credit card. The airport trip is perhaps $10 more than Uber, but I'm fine paying that.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:24

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017