Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: U.S. Sen. Menendez - new federal investigation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Just admit it, you've got nothing, lol.

Can we get back to yet another NJ Senator getting indicted-the last being another Democrat, Harrison Williams. And we almost should count the Torch, who withdrew his re-election campaign when it was apparent he'd be indicted. Quite the rogues gallery!

Posted on: 2015/4/2 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, the bid process was begun in 2011, narrowed down to three finalists in 2012, and awarded in 2013-and Christie interceded on behalf of Jerry Jones to get playoff seats in 2014?

Legends is co-owned by the Dallas Cowboys (of which Jones is one of the partner mix) the NY Yankee partners, and Dave Checkett (former MSG honcho) and his group. They are based in NYC.

Specious as any claim is, the NJ Ethics board already looked into it and found everything fine and dandy. Cuomo also backed the awarding of the contract. After all, 2/3 of the owners are NYC based.

Oh, the contract was awarded months before Jones and Christie ever met!

And Christie didn't 'make calls'-he and Governor Cuomo released a freaking official press statement the day before the announcement!

http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gover ... gends-hospitality-develop

Other than that, you're spot on!

Look at you carrying all that water! Be careful, if you don't lift with your legs your back will have problems.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 19:04
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, the bid process was begun in 2011, narrowed down to three finalists in 2012, and awarded in 2013-and Christie interceded on behalf of Jerry Jones to get playoff seats in 2014?

Legends is co-owned by the Dallas Cowboys (of which Jones is one of the partner mix) the NY Yankee partners, and Dave Checkett (former MSG honcho) and his group. They are based in NYC.

Specious as any claim is, the NJ Ethics board already looked into it and found everything fine and dandy. Cuomo also backed the awarding of the contract. After all, 2/3 of the owners are NYC based.

Oh, the contract was awarded months before Jones and Christie ever met!

And Christie didn't 'make calls'-he and Governor Cuomo released a freaking official press statement the day before the announcement!

http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gover ... gends-hospitality-develop

Other than that, you're spot on!

Posted on: 2015/4/2 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Mayor Fulop, who first pooh-poohed the rumors of the indictment, continues to carry water for Senator Menendez. Just what could Menendez have on Fulop? http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_for_n.html#incart_river

I prefer Tom Moran's take in today's Star Ledger in which he laid out a clear and strong case as to why Menendez should resign. I think Moran has probably a more objective, less transactional take on all of this than our mayor. Part of Moran's thinking is "Innocent until proven guilty" is too low of a standard for a Senator. I agree.

So yes, Monroe - while I'm hard-pressed to think of another time I agreed with you, I do think Menendez should resign. Unlike you, I don't buy into the reflexive party nonsense that big politics would like us to ascribe to - I happen to vote Democrat more often but for me it's about the person, not the party. I think deciding who our leaders are should be taken a little more seriously than the way we follow football.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Menendez has given up his chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Sadly, the two things I like about him are his stance on Israel and Cuba, and those may have greased his skids with the Obama Justice Department.

And if Christie ever was indicted I guess some here would suggest he stand down as Gov. Will any of you suggest the same of the indicted Senator of NJ?

Go back and read my first post on this. If he?s guilty, and he seems like it, then toss him.

As an aside, how is what Menendez did any different than Christie lobbying the Port Authority so that Jerry Jones can get a catering contract in exchange for Dallas Cowboys playoff tickets?

Because it didn't happen perhaps?

Menendez or Christie's lobbying efforts? Considering that we know for a fact that he made calls pushing for the Legends deal with the PA and we have photos of Christie in the luxury box hugging Jones, I don't see how you can say it "didn't happen." Is Christie now Shaggy?

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:11
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Monroe's reaction to the indictment:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Menendez has given up his chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Sadly, the two things I like about him are his stance on Israel and Cuba, and those may have greased his skids with the Obama Justice Department.

And if Christie ever was indicted I guess some here would suggest he stand down as Gov. Will any of you suggest the same of the indicted Senator of NJ?

Go back and read my first post on this. If he?s guilty, and he seems like it, then toss him.

As an aside, how is what Menendez did any different than Christie lobbying the Port Authority so that Jerry Jones can get a catering contract in exchange for Dallas Cowboys playoff tickets?

Because it didn't happen perhaps?

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/4/2 15:23
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And the Hudson County Democrats are all rallying around Menendez-because to them it's just business as usual, nothing to see here, move along.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty funny how the DB writer talking about the good old boy system in NJ mentions nicely dressed Fulop train ride story then later highlights McGreevy as Exhibit A to make the case.... yet some how does not mention McGreevy working for Fulop today?

Posted on: 2015/4/2 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
If you think Hillary hosting a personal server is a "scandal" why aren't you killing every other Secretary of State, before Kerry? So, like I said, "completely absurd."

Oh, yes. Every single Secretary of State did that! They all set up their own home server, then they failed to disclose that when Congress asked to review documents. And then, as soon as Congress requested to take a look at that server, naturally, all Secretaries of State immediately wiped down all the contents.

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Menendez's info wasn't "sat on for 3 years." The information came out when it came out. It has nothing to do with his absurdly poor positions on Cuba and Iran.

Yep. It's a pure coincidence.

By the way, what's your theory on why nobody in the IRS is indicted yet? Or do you actually believe that by sheer coincidence hard drives there crashed exactly on the very computers that held data requested by Congress? And by sheer coincidence they crashed in a way that made it impossible to restore the information?

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
The Benghazi thing has been done to death. Are you looking for a fifth investigation into it? It's sad that this is something that is continued to be harped on. I can only assume it plays well with the the feeble-minded.

No, sorry pal. This is not how it works. If your party members hide documents from the investigation you don't get to strike a pose "hey, why do they keep investigating". if Congress requests documents from State, and State claims that they gave everything, and then we find out that State lied and Hillary actually had a whole private server that she only now "remembered" he had, you don't get to pretend you were wronged. And you claim that this is something "harped on"? Like what? Evil Republicans hypnotized Hillary and made her to wipe out her server?

Posted on: 2015/4/2 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm hoping if he gets convicted, he goes to jail and serves time just like everyone else.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing compared to the JCList circle jerk every time the Star Ledger writes yet another silly Christie story. The one I'm waiting for is the Newark Watershed expose of Booker. I mean, he ran the board when his former business and political allies looted it for millions right under his nose.

Quote:

SimonBarSinister wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Menendez laid out his defense in an epically short, 8 minute press conference! And the Star Ledger is calling for his resignation.

Monroe must be having multiple orgasms over this

Posted on: 2015/4/2 1:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/24 1:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Menendez laid out his defense in an epically short, 8 minute press conference! And the Star Ledger is calling for his resignation.

Monroe must be having multiple orgasms over this

Posted on: 2015/4/2 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The softballs about Fulop are pretty funny, considering that talking about him being so uncomfortable on the train-he was so uncomfortable down in AC at the League of Municipality boondoggle that he kept all his meeting OFF his public record of appointments!

Posted on: 2015/4/2 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Lying with Dogs

THE DAILY BEAST 04.01.15

Why Jersey Politicians Are All Crooks

With his indictment, Bob Menendez joins a long list of New Jersey politicians who find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Bob Menendez has just been indicted on 14 criminal counts including eight counts of bribery. While it’s not every day that a member of the United States Senate is hit with criminal charges, it might as well be every day that a politician from New Jersey is revealed to be corrupt. 

“There is something about this state—whether it’s in the air or in the water or whatever it is, that just makes people more accepting of corrupt practices,” Bob Ingle, co-author of The Soprano State, said. 

“I am not going anywhere,” a defiant Menendez said at a Newark press conference, the crowd studded with Menendez supporters, on Wednesday evening. “I am angry and ready to fight. Today contradicts my public service career in my entire life,” he snapped, as supporters chanted “Menendez! Menendez!” and “Viva Bob!”

But Menendez’ optimism ignores New Jerseys history.

Part of the problem may be the sheer number of public officials the Garden State employs.

New Jersey is the fourth-smallest state in terms of square mileage, yet it has 565 municipalities which each have dozens of public officials.

“There is a lot of government and there are a lot of people running that government, and it’s very difficult to keep up with all of them,” Ingle said, calling the system “bureaucracy on top of bureaucracy.” 

New Jersey’s boss-system -meaning parties are controlled by unelected, omnipotent dictators—also might be a cause of the moral bankruptcy.

The two most notable being George Norcross III in Southern Jersey (defined as everything South of Trenton), best-known for telling an enemy, “you’re going to get your fucking balls cut off,” and Joe, “Joe D,” DiVincenzo in Northern New Jersey who admitted to The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza in 2014, “Anybody who runs statewide has to come through us.”

It is impossible to rise in New Jersey politics without fostering relationships that will come back to haunt you.

Iraq and Goldman Sachs veteran Steven Fulop, the 38-year-old mayor of Jersey City knows this firsthand.

Fulop is about as unlike a New Jersey politician as a person with a New Jersey accent could possibly be. He wears tasteful suits; he competes in Iron Man competitions; he expresses normal, human ambivalence about the field he has chosen. 

I last saw Fulop in February, on a chartered train from Jersey City to D.C. populated by drunk legislators and lobbyists, engaging in the sort of eyebrow-raising back-slapping deal-making that people from other states might do in smoke-filled rooms.

Not in New Jersey.  There they do it in full view of the press because what else are we supposed to expect. 

Fulop, visibly uncomfortable, skeptically peered out the sides of his eyes as we spoke—while the intoxicated leaders of the Garden State bumped into and groped their way past us.

“I think if other legislators from other states could see [this train] they would think it’s very strange. Very strange,” he said. 

Fulop campaigned on finally ending the corruption which plagued the region of Jersey City since mayor Frank Hague sat behind his infamous desk—outfitted with a special drawer wherein people could deposit bribes—in the early 1900s.

Fulop’s slogan? “Enough.”

His challenger, incumbent Mayor Jerremiah Healy, had no vision, ties to some of the more corrupt members of the city, and perhaps most memorably, was known for wandering around on his porch completely naked. But Healy was machine-approved: everyone from powerful state Democrats to President Barack Obama had endorsed him. 

Their relationship began as contentious (Fulop challenged Menendez for Congress—and lost—in 2004) but eventually grew warm.

And now Fulop, a potential gubernatorial candidate in 2017, is in the position of having to defend Menendez or lose a vital ally.

When the news of Menendez’s impending indictment came down, Fulop told the Jersey Journal’s Terrence McDonald he would “stand by my friend…anyone who is making assumptions about Bob Menendez based on a news story clearly doesn’t know the Senator.” (Interview requests from The Daily Beast to Fulop were not granted.)

New Jersey’s recent history is littered with cautionary tales of those who stuck around too long to avoid stumbling into catastrophe. 

By most accounts former governor Jim McGreevey was a world-class mayor when he served the town of Woodbridge from 1991 to 2002, but then he reached for the next brass ring. McGreevey went to Trenton, and it only took two years until he was forced to resign after installing his unqualified (secret) boyfriend as the state’s homeland security director. 

The current governor Chris Christie passed up a chance to run for president or vice president in 2012, as Republican Party leaders so desperately wanted, opting instead to run for a second term. That proved unwise; he has been under investigation by the United States Attorney for the last 15 months, after a member (or members) of his administration orchestrated the closure of lanes on the George Washington Bridge—the busiest bridge in the world—seemingly to torment a small-time Democratic mayor. Christie’s hopes of running for president in 2016 now appear grim. 

But let’s not forget that when Christie was the United States Attorney from 2002 through 2009, he convicted over 100 public officials. That’s more than one per month.

For every Menendez or McGreevey, there are dozens other small-ball crooks and creeps populating New Jersey’s public offices. Ingle told me what has struck him most about the type of corruption most commonly seen in the Garden State is how “how small the amount of bribery or thievery these people will be involved in.” 

Sometimes it’s as small as a quarter—or several tons of them. 

For a decade, Thomas Rica served as the public works inspector of Ridgewood, a quaint village of less than 25,000 in northern New Jersey. An artificially tanned 43-year-old with a politician’s head of wavy dark hair, Rica made $86,000 a year in the position—but he wanted more. 

Conveniently, Rica had a master key to Village Hall, which housed a coin-collection room full of buckets of quarters from parking meters. Rica would enter the room with the key, manipulate a security camera on the ceiling so that his act wouldn’t be filmed, and steal the coins by the fistful, sometimes $500 worth of coins at a time. 

He did this sometimes several times a week—for years. He would then bring the coins to multiple banks, where he had personal accounts. 

All told, Rica stole $460,000 in quarters. The Bergen Record calculated such a haul weighed 11.25 tons, “the equivalent of three elephants, a single 84-passenger bus or nine Honda Civics.” In June 2014, Rica was sentenced to four years probation, and ordered to pay the village back every last quarter. 

At his press conference, Menendez claimed investigators don’t know the difference between friendship and corruption—but the damning indictment suggests it is Menendez who doesn’t know the difference.

Menendez may not be so lucky, but then he probably should have seen this coming. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles ... cians-are-all-crooks.html

Posted on: 2015/4/2 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/2 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Hard to feel sympathy for this guy and describe him as another victim of the Obama/Holder Selective Justice Department.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Senator Menendez refusing to take questions at his press conference tonight-contrast to Christie answering almost 2 hours of questions after his traffic jam press conference.

Has Menendez wiped his emails clean yet? 'You see, they're all personal-what guayabera shirts I was packing to take on the private plane to the Dominican Republic'.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I do, I dislike him almost as much as I dislike you.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/1 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@stc4blues, always go with the guy who's indicted by the Feds when in doubt.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Mayor Fulop, who first pooh-poohed the rumors of the indictment, continues to carry water for Senator Menendez. Just what could Menendez have on Fulop? http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_for_n.html#incart_river

Lots of water carriers in this world. Maybe they're all wet. Who's up for making "wet back" a badge of honor?

Posted on: 2015/4/1 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/1 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
NYTimes treatment:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/nyr ... m-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

WASHINGTON ? Senator Robert Menendez was indicted on federal corruption charges on Wednesday, setting the stage for a bitter court fight and putting his political future in doubt.

Mr. Menendez was charged with eight counts of bribery, which carry up to 15 years in prison on each charge. He was also charged with conspiracy, fraud, and making false statements on government documents, the Justice Department said.

Mr. Menendez is the first senator to face federal bribery charges since another New Jersey Democrat, Harrison A. Williams Jr., was indicted in 1980 in the Abscam scandal.

The charges had long been expected and Mr. Menendez, a 61-year-old Democrat of New Jersey, has promised to fight them. He has offered no indication that he plans to step down or relinquish any power while he goes through that process....

Let the games begin: Who's the bigger sleaze merchant, Menendez or Christie?

Posted on: 2015/4/1 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just released-perp walk heads up-Menendez indictment official. Senator Booker on deck.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And Harry 'Yeah, I feel off my treadmill, right' Reid is bailing on his Senate seat (even after vowing he was going to run again) since he's tainted in the Menendez scandal.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Sen. Robert Menendez to face corruption charges

By Evan Perez and Shimon Prokupecz, CNN
Updated 6:47 AM ET, Wed April 1, 2015

Washington (CNN)Federal prosecutors are expected to charge Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez on Wednesday with using his Senate office to push the business interests of a friend and donor in exchange for gifts, people briefed on the case say.

The case, brought by the Justice Department's public integrity unit, sets up a high-stakes battle between a New Jersey senator who has fought off investigations for years, and federal prosecutors and the FBI who have spent years pursuing him.

Federal officials and Menendez's attorneys have discussed plans for the New Jersey Democrat to turn himself in before a planned court hearing on Thursday, according to people briefed on the case.

cnn piece?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/politic ... uption-charges/index.html

Posted on: 2015/4/1 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's amusing to see Menendez and Clinton in the news for real scandals, and a traffic jam in Ft Lee quickly departing in the rear view mirror. Next up? Newark Watershedgate for Booker.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Perhaps Pebble can hold Menendez and Clinton to the Christie standard.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/11/hillary-and-christie/

The "Christie Standard" is to act like a complete scumbag and it seems like Menendez has it down pretty solid...

Posted on: 2015/3/16 15:37
Dos A Cero

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017