Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Wall St. Journal story today on Fulop JC Rebrand attempt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
DTJC does not represent the entire city, GV for example has not had any growth in the last 10 years the number of people moving in are always replaced with the people moving out.

No reason why for the lack of growth right user? No, let me guess, it's cause people are racist...

Yawn... Please don't ever change! I always want to be better than you.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
DTJC does not represent the entire city, GV for example has not had any growth in the last 10 years the number of people moving in are always replaced with the people moving out.

No reason why for the lack of growth right user? No, let me guess, it's cause people are racist...

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To vindication 15: Some of the cities you listed have a city sales tax or city income tax or both, so the local municipalities benefits from visitors. I saw an article recently about Liberty State Park; the host said nearly 6 million visit every year. I don?t know if that number is accurate but unlike some of the cities you mentioned, JC paves the roads for visitors but receive no income. I had to argue with former Mayor Schundler because he did not want to tax hotels; luckily this happened when he left office. When events happen in JC, it places a burden on public safety that taxpayers must shoulder. Just recently, we bonded $9.5 million, mostly retiring police, for terminal leave. This might enhance the mayor?s imagine, but it will cause overtime for police, one of the most costly departments in the city.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/sales-tax-rates-major-us-cities

the combined local and state sales taxes in houston, new york, and philly are higher than JC

highest tax burdens by income: ny, philly, chicago are among the top

Just for a second yvonne, can you put down the 1975 newspaper about "chilltown" JC and lookup the facts on this thing called the internet.

Horse and carriage JC is gone. wasteland JC is gone (at least in DTJC). Embrace the kids on your lawn...

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2 ... ghest-and-lowest-taxes/4/

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is your water and tax bills, va2015? Jersey City is worth less today on paper than in was in 1988. It is the reason Fulop cancelled the revaluation. He didn?t want to face angry homeowners with $20,000 plus tax bills while he is promoting the city. So live in your happy world until the courts force the revaluation and you will see million dollar homes in bankruptcy.

Finally something we can agree on, this is why I sold because the reality was my apt was not worth what I sold it for, but someone was willing to pay for it. I hate the fact that Fulop just wont do this already.

For the life of me, I just can't figure out the reval... I - mistakenly, apparently - had understood anyone who had purchased their place since the early/mid 2000's would benefit, as our apartments are way over-valued compared to single family houses owned by long-term owners. But if JC property is worth less overall, what would the impact be.

On a side note, read this today on www.curbed.com http://observer.com/2014/01/expensive ... -packing-plenty-of-punch/ Why shouldn't, or isn't, JC benefiting more by the insane increase in property values in Manhattan? DTJC is so close, it seems promoting JC would encourage more affluent people to invest here, and voila! increased tax levy!

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is your water and tax bills, va2015? Jersey City is worth less today on paper than in was in 1988. It is the reason Fulop cancelled the revaluation. He didn?t want to face angry homeowners with $20,000 plus tax bills while he is promoting the city. So live in your happy world until the courts force the revaluation and you will see million dollar homes in bankruptcy.

Finally something we can agree on, this is why I sold because the reality was my apt was not worth what I sold it for, but someone was willing to pay for it. I hate the fact that Fulop just wont do this already.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People in Greenville and other parts of the city take the bus to Journal Square or Grove Street and experience the same horrors on the PATH as downtown folks. .

I take the lightrail, to the Path or ferry (during warmer months) I guess the Path would be crazy packed if I had a 9-5 job, but I don't so this really does not effect me any.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only people who are doing well in JC are the developers who received their tax abatements. But the quality of life for the average citizen has diminished.

Speak for yourself. When I left the JC area circa 2003, grove street plaza was dirty, surrounded by run down bodegas and low rent stores, and full of homeless people begging. I came back in the summer of 2010 and thought the farmer's market had to be a mirage, it was that different from what I remembered. The restaurants, art galleries, renovated parks, etc. are all recent improvements that increased my quality of life.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
People in Greenville and other parts of the city take the bus to Journal Square or Grove Street and experience the same horrors on the PATH as downtown folks. You also are in traffic jams if you go to the JCMC. But I have experienced many traffic jams on Tonnele Avenue, West Side and other parts of this city. People travel into JC to work, St. Paul Avenue and 139 is a classic example of our streets being jammed with commuters. Our city spends our taxes dollars controlling this traffic but these commuters pay nothing to JC for the services they receive (cops, paving streets, snow removal, repairing lights, etc.) Politicians have been promising development as the answer to a stable tax rate. Really? I have seen the reverse.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Had some business at the Post Office this morning, so aimed to be at work for 10:00am. Left my place on Sherman Avenue & Franklin Street at 9:00am, mission accomplished at PO was standing on Palisade Avenue by 9:20am - schedule called for a #87 bus to Hoboken at 9:15 and 9:33. A bus comes at 9:31, packed to the gunwales - 3 generation Japanese family (on holiday?), young hipsters, Latinos, Indians heading to work, old-timers from the Heights. Much good natured jostling as seats were given up to the elderly riders, driver lets us stand in the stairwell even though the bus was way over capacity.

JC is not being negatively affected by more people - our quality of life is being brought down by the fact that people in power (City Hall, the Council, planners) are just handing out building and curb-cut permits, and not putting money into desperately needed transit and infrastructure improvements.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only people who are doing well in JC are the developers who received their tax abatements. But the quality of life for the average citizen has diminished. They are spending more time in traffic or circling blocks to find an empty parking space. The parks are over used. Have you seen Van Vorst Park lately? The schools are crowded. You really don't want me to start talking about the PATH, do you? JC is 14.7 square miles while Newark is 24.1 square miles. If we have more people than Newark, then we will be called the Bombay City on the East Coast. We have reached the saturation point a long time ago.

So a crowded VVP is a sign that the city is getting worse? Was it better when it was full of drug dealers and homeless people? Citizens were scared to walk through the park, but at least it wasn't crowded.

If your only quality of life issues revolve around how quickly you can get into and out of the city (parking and traffic), then yes, I suppose things are worse. If your quality of life issues also includes things like improving schools (they are getting better), more things to do (arts, programs for children, restaurants and the parks have all improved a ton) and safety then I think things are looking a might bit better than they were in the recent past.

You know what I love? Crowded parks. I go there, I find a bunch of people I know and we chat while our kids play together. I love the farmer's markets that keep getting better because the parks are crowded. I love that VVP and Hamilton Park both now have outdoor movies because there is enough demand. I love the Hamilton Park was completely renovated because of development and demand. I love that development paid for a a nice new park in Newport and looks to be providing another new park by 8th and Marin.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only people who are doing well in JC are the developers who received their tax abatements. But the quality of life for the average citizen has diminished. They are spending more time in traffic or circling blocks to find an empty parking space. The parks are over used. Have you seen Van Vorst Park lately? The schools are crowded. You really don't want me to start talking about the PATH, do you? JC is 14.7 square miles while Newark is 24.1 square miles. If we have more people than Newark, then we will be called the Bombay City on the East Coast. We have reached the saturation point a long time ago.

I understand your point, but comparing a downtown area is quite silly.
Perhaps you should visit outside of the dtjc area, when I go to Bayside Park I am usually the only one in there in the morning walking my dogs also in the evening after 9 PM. DTJC does not represent the entire city, GV for example has not had any growth in the last 10 years the number of people moving in are always replaced with the people moving out.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When JC was at its peak, it had fewer households because families had 6 to 12 children. Now there are more households composed of 1 to 2 people with cars, sometimes two cars in the family. In the past, people walked, took the trolley, or bus to work. Most worked at local factories such as Emerson Radio, Colgate or American Can. There were not thousands of people daily taking the PATH to work in Manhattan. JC was designed for horse and carriage and later adapted to the trolley system. We are destroying JC with overdevelopment.

JC can prosper under more development - if its sensitively done, with the neccessary mass-transportation improvements included.

Yvonne, your basis for criticizing more developement is the most ludicrous thing I've read so far on this post. Manhattan also was designed for the horse & carriage, and ferries. It prospered early in the 20th century - and continues to proser - because of the subways, progressive zoning, and an aggressive efforts to discourage cars. What do we get in JC - NO major enhancements in mass transit since the Manhattan & Hudson Tubes, just the negative impact on our inadequate and under-supported mass transit.

I support Fulop 110% in this! If only we could clean house of all the outdate, useful complaints he's getting from Yvonne and the car dependent set, he could make some real progress.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/27 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only thing that is growing in JC is its debt, as far as Liberty State Park, it was railroad, meaning it had a different assessment. The city is not balancing its budget and that is a serious red flag. If the city is not careful, can we spell Detroit?

Um, you're the one advocating no growth. How do you think Detroit got into the current situation? It wasn't because they had too many new residents causing traffic problems.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The only thing that is growing in JC is its debt, as far as Liberty State Park, it was railroad, meaning it had a different assessment. The city is not balancing its budget and that is a serious red flag. If the city is not careful, can we spell Detroit?

Posted on: 2014/1/27 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Yvonne,

Cities are either growing or they are shrinking, they don't get preserved in amber. Give me the problems associated with growth any day over the problems associated with a shrinking population.

I agree, if you want to see an example of a city that stops growing you only have to look at Detroit.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City image is one of a anti-commerce city to those who have have had to deal with the various departments. Are you a small guy wanting to renovate a 3-family or open a new shop on Central Ave? Welcome to hell... Getting permits, plan review, tax information... JC is adversarial in its nature.

I know of one small developer who took a serious financial hit because after approving his building plans, the Building Department 'unapproved them', requiring changes. The changes were demanded at the time the developer was looking to get his occupancy permits. The changes were major, which put the project into the red.

I also know of second hand information of new stores and restaurants being given a very hard time (not just dealing with the Building Department).

My $0.02 worth:

Take a proverbial nuke to a number of departments in JC (the Building Department will require intervention from the Dept. of Community Affairs).

Re-organize with new hires (I know.. next to impossible with the civil service contracts). I would love us to have a Dept. of Commerce of sorts where someone wanting to invest in JC could get all the paperwork. Plus, this person would be assigned an expediter to help get the client through the red tape and in business ASAP.

This department would also advertise incentives such tax breaks for brownfield redevelopment.

As for JC being overdeveloped:

Not even close. Public transportation only works when you have high population density. Without the density, you end up spending billions on trains to nowhere (see the light rail projects in South Jersey) with few riders. A number of my tenants don't have cars. They find everything they need within walking distance.

Plus with density, you get more and more retail within walking distance because there are enough customers within a short distance to support a large number of businesses.

I would like to see JC (with help from the State) go after manufacturing. Due to the fact we have some of the cheapest energy in the world (China isn't so cheap anymore), we are starting to see the early stages of a Renaissance in manufacturing here.

States like WI are phasing out taxes on manufacturers plus adding other incentives. WI went from a deficit to almost $1 billion in budget surplus in tax revenues due to much improved growth.

I don't want to see JC too dependent on the financial industry. If the financial industry as a whole goes South, it could take JC with it. Its betters for us to have a very mixed business base, so we ride out the business cycles better.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

Cities are either growing or they are shrinking, they don't get preserved in amber. Give me the problems associated with growth any day over the problems associated with a shrinking population.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, because Liberty State Park was so much more attractive when it was abandoned and police would search for dead bodies there. But it was part of the ratable base, right?

Posted on: 2014/1/27 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To vindication 15: Some of the cities you listed have a city sales tax or city income tax or both, so the local municipalities benefits from visitors. I saw an article recently about Liberty State Park; the host said nearly 6 million visit every year. I don?t know if that number is accurate but unlike some of the cities you mentioned, JC paves the roads for visitors but receive no income. I had to argue with former Mayor Schundler because he did not want to tax hotels; luckily this happened when he left office. When events happen in JC, it places a burden on public safety that taxpayers must shoulder. Just recently, we bonded $9.5 million, mostly retiring police, for terminal leave. This might enhance the mayor?s imagine, but it will cause overtime for police, one of the most costly departments in the city.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Just wish he was a little more upfront about his plans... local government can only be successful if the person with the vision plans to stay and see it through; I guess I am just cynical when I see the claims from Christie and Booker about the great things they did that qualifies them for higher office. Both came in on change platforms and the NJ and Newark are not much better, despite PR campaigns.

Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Have to agree with this comment, between all the political glad handing photo ops / Huff Po /TV spots/national travel... every little thing being done appears to be resume building for some other job and does not seem like a sincere attempt at being the mayor hoped for when he was elected. Riding in snowplows doesn't change my impression.

I'd rather see Mayor Fulop doing these things which raises JC's image. Would you prefer to see photos of another half naked drunk mayor sitting on on his front steps on the Huff Po?
I don't have a problem with someone wanting to advance in their career. Ultimately he will have to stand on his record as mayor of JC if he wants to move into higher office. This can only benefit JC and it's residents.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
The city is spending $600K on this with a matching investment from the private sector. Honestly 600K is not going to fix the public school system or any other large scale issue. If they were spending, say, $3M or more I'd object. But the return on investment for this could actually be pretty decent.

Bingo. Not so difficult to comprehend.

How many millions did Facebook Guy give Corey Booker for the Newark schools?

Posted on: 2014/1/27 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I think people live in a dream world where more development leads to a better quality of life. It doesn?t, it leads to congestion and not enough parking spaces.

Yeah, the top 5 most populous cities - New York, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly have nothing going for themselves. No tourists, no landmarks, amazingly dull and unattractive to outside residents.

Bring back horse and carriage please.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not agree, we are past the point for development. The new high rises in Journal Square will only lead to more congestion for PATH riders downtown. The sewers, streets, and PATH are at the saturation point already. My neighbor, who travels to NY by car due to her disability, told me the trip was faster on the Manhattan side than the Jersey side. It was bumper to bumper traffic from the Holland Tunnel to Van Vorst Park. I think people live in a dream world where more development leads to a better quality of life. It doesn?t, it leads to congestion and not enough parking spaces.

Even if you stop the development, the advertising is still helpful to bring new residents with more money, which will lead to more companies/businesses investing in JC. People will be priced out, but that's what happens when neighborhoods improve.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When JC was at its peak, it had fewer households because families had 6 to 12 children. Now there are more households composed of 1 to 2 people with cars, sometimes two cars in the family. In the past, people walked, took the trolley, or bus to work. Most worked at local factories such as Emerson Radio, Colgate or American Can. There were not thousands of people daily taking the PATH to work in Manhattan. JC was designed for horse and carriage and later adapted to the trolley system. We are destroying JC with overdevelopment.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Give me a mayor who has aspirations for higher office every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You mean his own desire for a higher position will essentially act as a term limit, preventing him from becoming an entrenched "career mayor" and turning City Hall into a patronage mill? You mean he'll have every incentive in the world to aggressively improve our city in the limited time that he's mayor so he'll have a good track record to run on for Governor or US Senator?

Yeah, that sounds just awful for the city.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
All of these public branding efforts by Steve, regardless if they're good or bad for JC, say one thing to me: brought to you by the Steve Fulop reelection/senate/congress/governor campaign. I think he will outdo someone like Chuck Schumer in the contest of biggest media whore.

Jersey City is just his....

Posted on: 2014/1/26 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For those who think this is a good idea, where do we put these new people? If you haven't notice traffic does not move in JC, especially downtown. I lived on Van Vorst Park, close to Jersey Avenue and sold after 40 years partially to the traffic congestion that I faced every day. Several days ago, I was on Jersey Avenue, near the Library, it took 10 minutes to travel 2 blocks. Unfortunately, it was around 3:00 PM when schools (there are 4 in that area) dismissed. Other parts of the city also have their jams but Jersey Ave, Newark Avenue, and other parts of downtown comes to a screeching halt. There is too much development in Jersey City.

Well obviously that is going to be congestion when you end up squeezing about 6 or 7 lanes of traffic into 2 for a tunnel. Whether you like it or not Yvonne this city will continue you grow. And around 3-5pm there will also be traffic jams as everyone is trying to go home. Past the rush hour traffic its not that bad unless there is construction going on. You really need to stop with this fear mongering.

You are right that traffic is becoming an issue, however, I am not downplaying it but it has not reached the extent that you keep exaggerating. But that is not to say we shouldn't plan for it but it seems your only plan is to apparently stop any new development. Instead this city should be focusing on improving our PT system by adding another LR line for the city, creating better bus routes, more bike lanes etc.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City had over 315,000 people at its peak and that was before modern infrastructure. There is plenty of room for more people.

Yvonne waxes nostalgic for when you would get your car vandalized if you didn't pay someone in the parking lot a fee to watch it.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 19:57

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017