Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: For those who are having issues with Netflix over FIOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Anyone here experiencing issues with Amazon Prime streaming during peak hours (i.e. 8:30 P.M. on a Sunday night)?

I have been experiencing slow / choppy streaming. Netflix has been fine though.

I use FiOS and did some Prime streaming on Sunday evening. It wasn't more than an hour but I didn't have an issue.

Posted on: 2015/8/18 18:53
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone here experiencing issues with Amazon Prime streaming during peak hours (i.e. 8:30 P.M. on a Sunday night)?

I have been experiencing slow / choppy streaming. Netflix has been fine though.

Posted on: 2015/8/18 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Contrary to what some self-professed "experts" think, Verizon could get into trouble for the extortion fees they charge Netflix. Note how Netflix welcomes the FCC investigation, Verizon doesn't, and has told them not to regulate (why would the mugger with all the power want that power checked?). FCC looking into complaints that broadband ISPs are dragging their heels The U.S. Federal Communications Commission is looking into complaints from Netflix and some Internet backbone providers that several large broadband providers have been refusing for years to upgrade their backbone connections as a way to slow video traffic that competes with their own services. Following a public spat this week between Netflix and Verizon Communications, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said the agency is collecting information about the so-called peering and transit arrangements that allow Web traffic to flow between networks and content providers. Wheeler stopped short of calling the FCC review a formal investigation, but he said there is growing public concern about problems with peering arrangements. In recent months, Netflix, along with backbone providers Level 3 and Cogent, have accused large U.S. broadband providers, particularly ones that offer cable-like video services, of refusing to make inexpensive upgrades to their networks in order to accommodate growing video traffic from Web-based competitors. Comcast, Verizon examined The FCC staff is collecting information about peering arrangements and about recent traffic management agreements Netflix has signed with Comcast and Verizon, Wheeler said. Netflix officials have complained about those agreements, saying they shouldn?t have to sign side deals with broadband providers to deliver videos broadband customers ask for. ?Consumers must get what they pay for,? Wheeler said in a statement. ?As the consumer?s representative we need to know what is going on. I have therefore directed the commission staff to obtain the information we need to understand precisely what is happening in order to understand whether consumers are being harmed.? So far, the FCC is collecting information and ?not regulating,? Wheeler added. ?We are looking under the hood. Consumers want transparency. They want answers. And so do I.? The bandwidth-intensive Netflix has caused some of its own problems by using low-cost backbone providers, Jim Cicconi, AT&T?s senior executive vice president for external and legislative affairs, suggested during a net neutrality debate this week. Netflix is trying to get broadband providers to deliver its traffic at ?zero cost,? he said. Should Netflix shoulder some blame? Dan Rayburn, executive vice president with news and analysis site StreamingMedia.com, raised similar points in a blog post this week. In cases where Netflix could not get free peering arrangements, the company has moved its traffic ?onto very specific Internet paths that were not capable of handling their massive load and caused the congestion that impacted customers,? he wrote. ?If Netflix does not receive free peering, ISP customers do not receive good performance and get low rankings and shame from Netflix.? A person named George recently filed comments to the FCC in the agency?s net neutrality proceeding, Wheeler said. ?Is Verizon abusing Net Neutrality and causing Netflix picture quality to be degraded by ?throttling? transmission speeds?? George wrote to the agency. ?Who is at fault here? The consumer is the one suffering! What can you do?? The FCC is not suggesting that any one company is at fault, Wheeler said. ?But George has gone to the heart of the matter: What is going on and what can the FCC do on behalf of consumers?? he added. ?Consumers pay their ISP and they pay content providers like Hulu, Netflix or Amazon. Then when they don?t get good service they wonder what is going on.? Netflix applauded Wheeler?s request for more information. ?We welcome the FCC?s efforts to bring more transparency in this area,? spokesman Joris Evers said by email. ?Americans deserve to get the speed and quality of Internet access they pay for.? Verizon urged the FCC to refrain from regulating the peering arrangements. ?Internet traffic exchange has always been handled through commercial agreements,? spokesman Ed McFadden said by email. ?This has worked well for the Internet ecosystem and consumers. We are hopeful that policy makers will recognize this fact and that the Internet will continue to be the engine of growth of the global economy.? Comcast welcomes the FCC?s attention on peering arrangements, the company said in a statement. ?Internet traffic exchange on the backbone is part of ensuring that bits flow freely and efficiently and all actors across the system have a shared responsibility to preserve the smooth functioning and highly competitive backbone interconnection market,? the company said. ?We welcome this review, which will allow the commission full transparency into the entire Internet backbone ecosystem and enable full education as to how this market works.? http://www.pcworld.com/article/236368 ... om-netflix-consumers.html

Posted on: 2014/6/13 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Netflix blames Verizon in direct screen message to users

Netflix is shifting tactics in its ongoing tussle with Internet service providers over streaming speed, issuing direct messages to users on the buffering screen that ISPs are to blame.

The change was first revealed on Twitter by a Netflix user, Yuri Victor, who works as a user experience designer for Vox Media. "The Verizon network is crowded right now. Adjusting video for smoother playback," read Netflix's message on the red screen, as shown in a photo by Victor.

Netflix confirmed that it sent the message. "We are testing ways to let consumers know how their Netflix experience is being affected by congestion on their broadband provider's network," said Netflix spokesman Jonathan Friedland, in an e-mail. "At present, we are testing in the U.S. in areas serviced by many broadband providers."

Verizon spokesman Bob Elek responded that the company is investigating Netflix's claim but added that it "seems misleading and could confuse people."

"This is a PR stunt," he said.

Netflix's public nudge comes as a surprise since the two companies signed about a month ago an agreement in which Netflix pays to connect directly to Verizon's network.

The deal, similar to the one Netflix signed with Comcast and that caused furor among net neutrality proponents, was meant to improve Netflix's downloading speeds for Verizon's customers.

Net neutrality proponents have argued that such deals embolden ISPs to increasingly force popular video and audio content providers to pay to ensure a smoother traffic flow between their pipes.

ISPs say their financial arrangements with content providers and other third-party content distributors are routine and have been around for years.

Despite these direct negotiations, Netflix has not been shy about publicly revealing ISPs' streaming data to its customers, ranking them by their performance it measured.

The Los Gatos, Calif.-based company also has been moving to eliminate the middlemen distributors that help its traffic flow by creating its own program, called Open Connect, that urges ISPs to connect directly with Netflix's servers.

Open Connect is free for ISPs to join, Netflix says. Comcast and Verizon have refused to participate in Open Connect.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/b ... flix-isp-message/9961909/

Posted on: 2014/6/5 2:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Would it help if I access Netflix through my Apple TV? Does it matter? Just a thought because I notice the app when I turn on Apple TV.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Netflix was pretty bad last night. Very low resolution, lots of stops / buffering, sound out of synch with the picture.

So far, not much of an improvement since the Verizon-Netflix deal.

Amazon streaming works fine though.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/30 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It came out today that Verizon claimed public utility status in order to get taxpayer money to build and upgrade its networks.

Now they've rejected that status and have extorted Netflix (and who knows who else they have targeted).

http://m.slashdot.org/story/202651

Posted on: 2014/5/29 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Is anyone having issues with with FIOS slowing down to a crawl going literally dsl speeds. How is Xfinity compared to FIOS?

I can't directly compare them, but I'd say Xfinity service sometimes suffers from unexplained outages. And their customer service and troubleshooting simply sucked. Every few days around 3pm their internet connection would simply die, over both my cable modem from my PC, and their OTA/wifi service from my cellphone and mobile devices - indicating some issue with their local routers. And they wanted to send a service tech to my address and charge me for it if they traced the problem to my equipment - which of course they would, since they almost never admit to the problem being at their end.

The past few months service has been good with no outages. Streaming video works fine - I run Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Xfinity on demand with no issues. Bottom line is that Xfinity is great when it works, but sucks when it doesn't.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone having issues with with FIOS slowing down to a crawl going literally dsl speeds. How is Xfinity compared to FIOS?

Posted on: 2014/5/28 2:29
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Way to keep ignoring the major points, including the ISPs' pocketing of $200 billion intended to improve their networks. I think the fact that your income seems to originate from the ISPs (at least in part) has clouded your judgment on this issue.

I'm sure they appreciate their free defender though. When the prices for many Internet services rise due to their greed, we can count on you to defend the ISPs.

Dude, again, you keep slinging accusations my way and you know nothing about me, or what I do. I am an IT consultant, with a specialty in networking and traffic manipulation/management. My clients are mostly hedge funds, financial firms and some law firms. I don't work for an ISP, nor would I want to (boring work, and not focused on what I like). But, because of the nature of my work, I have a lot of knowledge about the industry and how it all works. You, on the other hand, keep showing your ignorance post after post. Keep at it.

As for the $200 billion dollars you claim they pocketed, even the article goes on to the explain that a portion of that was simply wasted due to bad legislation.

And, for the record, I don't defend the ISPs nilly willy. I think most of them are crap. I absolutely abhor Comcast, but I really have enjoyed my FiOS experience to date. In over two years, not one outage, decent customer service and reliable internet and cable. But, in the situation of Netflix and the ISPs, I do side with the ISPs.

I would also add that unlike what your quoted article claims, I don't think we (the USA) pay a lot for the internet access we have. I have friends overseas who are always surprised to hear how little I pay for the internet broadband speeds I enjoy. The same level of service in Europe is costlier, if even available.

Here is a RECENT article for your reading enjoyment:
When It Comes To High-Speed Internet, The Grass Isn't Greener In Europe

Apologies if you feel unjustly attacked by me. It's just rare to find someone on the ISPs' side on this issue.

I agree with you that FIOS generally has been fine (besides Netflix). We clearly disagree on the Netflix issue, primarily because the ISPs have already been provided with the money to upgrade their networks to handle increased capacity, including from Netflix, but failed to do so and now seek to be paid twice.

But as I mentioned, the broader issue is the terrible precedent this sets. You didn't really address it, only presenting a recent article that claims internet in Europe is worse than here (although I discussed internet service in Asia). Even if true, that article fails to account for the terrible precedent set by the Netflix deal, as I keep saying.

Here is a very recent article that is 100% on point with this precise issue.

http://gizmodo.com/netflix-and-verizo ... a-traffic-deal-1568974004

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:27

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/5/27 20:46:41
Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/5/27 20:48:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Way to keep ignoring the major points, including the ISPs' pocketing of $200 billion intended to improve their networks. I think the fact that your income seems to originate from the ISPs (at least in part) has clouded your judgment on this issue.

I'm sure they appreciate their free defender though. When the prices for many Internet services rise due to their greed, we can count on you to defend the ISPs.

Dude, again, you keep slinging accusations my way and you know nothing about me, or what I do. I am an IT consultant, with a specialty in networking and traffic manipulation/management. My clients are mostly hedge funds, financial firms and some law firms. I don't work for an ISP, nor would I want to (boring work, and not focused on what I like). But, because of the nature of my work, I have a lot of knowledge about the industry and how it all works. You, on the other hand, keep showing your ignorance post after post. Keep at it.

As for the $200 billion dollars you claim they pocketed, even the article goes on to the explain that a portion of that was simply wasted due to bad legislation.

And, for the record, I don't defend the ISPs nilly willy. I think most of them are crap. I absolutely abhor Comcast, but I really have enjoyed my FiOS experience to date. In over two years, not one outage, decent customer service and reliable internet and cable. But, in the situation of Netflix and the ISPs, I do side with the ISPs.

I would also add that unlike what your quoted article claims, I don't think we (the USA) pay a lot for the internet access we have. I have friends overseas who are always surprised to hear how little I pay for the internet broadband speeds I enjoy. The same level of service in Europe is costlier, if even available.

Here is a RECENT article for your reading enjoyment:
When It Comes To High-Speed Internet, The Grass Isn't Greener In Europe

Posted on: 2014/5/27 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/27 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 said:

An essential ISP monopoly (duopoly at the best) combined with an insatiable entitlement to additional revenue from every source could lead to Internet prices rising dramatically for everyone.

You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about if you think that there is "essentially" a monopoly, or duopoly, in ISPs. The "last mile" providers of broadband internet to people's homes are many, but they pale in comparison to the amount of real backbone providers out there. And, the fact remains that this problem was created by Netflix.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Netflix wouldn't be paying all these ISPs if they they weren't in the wrong.

I disagree, Mr. Verizon. Netflix wouldn't be paying these ISP extortion fees if they had any sort of leverage. But they don't, the ISPs hold all the power. When a mugger holds a loaded gun to your head, you comply with his demands.

This does not give him the moral high ground, as you imply.

And nice glossing over the fact that the ISPs received hundreds of billions in taxpayer money to improve their networks but utterly failed to do so. Now that this money is long gone, they come reaching with their hands out yet again.

With all of this said, I do understand your point that Netflix uses an inordinate amount of traffic, and if the ISPs didn't pocket $200 billion, there may be an argument that Netflix should contribute more. However my real concern is the precedent set by my these extortion fees. Now that the ISPs have forced Netflix to pay up, there is nothing preventing them from pointing their gun to other websites. An essential ISP monopoly (duopoly at the best) combined with an insatiable entitlement to additional revenue from every source could lead to Internet prices rising dramatically for everyone. This is because these websites will pass on the extortion fee cost to the consumer.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 14:14

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/5/27 14:37:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Netflix wouldn't be paying all these ISPs if they they weren't in the wrong.

You think Netflix might end up buying their own network at some point? I remember reading that RCN was debating putting itself up for sale.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Do you work for Verizon or another ISP? Because you are spouting nonsense.

No. I do not work for an ISP, but I understand the issue much better than you do, as I work as a consultant in similar matters for other clients. My particular specialty is in networking and traffic management.

The article you posted is from 2007 (!!). Do you realize that Netflix at that time was barely generating any significant network traffic? The issue back then has little bearing on the issue today. Residential broadband back then were xDSL networks. Today we are talking about much bigger pipes and different technologies. Educate yourself about the issue. The issue was brought about because Netflix CHOSE to implement a new streaming format that is SIGNIFICANTLY higher in size, leading to all the bandwidth being consumed unnecessarily. They then turned around and essentially demanded that all ISPs buy from them special appliances that would cache content and alleviate traffic on their networks. So, you have a company who overnight increased their traffic, unnecessarily, and demanded that in order to help with the problem the people carrying their traffic could pay for expensive appliances and incur network improvement costs. THAT'S extortion. Netflix wouldn't be paying all these ISPs if they they weren't in the wrong.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
The streaming reliability improved somewhat for me. I still can't keep a stream going in HD (I am hardwired, so I don't have wireless issues).

Has anyone else on Fios noticed an improvement?

Netflix paid Verizon's extortion fee, so Verizon decided to do their job and make sure their paying customers were able to receive a service they already paid for.

BS. It is NOT an extortion fee. Netflix DECIDED to unleash massive amounts of traffic by implementing a new encoding stream, and then pretended for all providers upstream to suck it up and handle their increased traffic.

This would like a trucking company opening shop in JC, and all of a sudden you have hundred of thousands of trucks driving through the local streets of DT JC and the company expecting the city government to provide bigger and better roads to handle the truck traffic. If that was the situation, everyone would expect the company to pitch in to improve the roads and/or help alleviate the increased traffic. Why should Verizon, and every other ISPs, have to invest hundred of thousands, or maybe even millions of dollars, out of their pockets, to increase bandwidth to handle the Netflix traffic?? Netflix should pay for those improvements, or provide their traffic caching appliances free of charge.

Do you work for Verizon or another ISP? Because you are spouting nonsense.

The answer to your question is that from 1994-2004 Verizon, along with the other ISPs, were collectively paid $200 billion of taxpayer money to improve their networks so we could have service similar to other countries such as Japan and Korea. Instead of using this money the way it was intended, the ISPs pocketed it (for a variety of reasons, including poor regulation).

Now, years later, Verizon doesn't care if you are paying both Verizon and Netflix for services. Too bad for the customer, you get no Netflix unless they pay an additional extortion fee. That $200 billion? Apparently irrelevant according to you.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/20 ... lpit_20070810_002683.html

Posted on: 2014/5/27 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
The streaming reliability improved somewhat for me. I still can't keep a stream going in HD (I am hardwired, so I don't have wireless issues).

Netflix paid Verizon's extortion fee, so Verizon decided to do their job and make sure their paying customers were able to receive a service they already paid for.

BS. It is NOT an extortion fee. Netflix DECIDED to unleash massive amounts of traffic by implementing a new encoding stream, and then pretended for all providers upstream to suck it up and handle their increased traffic.

This would like a trucking company opening shop in JC, and all of a sudden you have hundred of thousands of trucks driving through the local streets of DT JC and the company expecting the city government to provide bigger and better roads to handle the truck traffic. If that was the situation, everyone would expect the company to pitch in to improve the roads and/or help alleviate the increased traffic. Why should Verizon, and every other ISPs, have to invest hundred of thousands, or maybe even millions of dollars, out of their pockets, to increase bandwidth to handle the Netflix traffic?? Netflix should pay for those improvements, or provide their traffic caching appliances free of charge.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Well... I still can't get HD. Amazon streaming works great though.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/26 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I noticed that too, it happened after the agreement between Netflix and fios was announced.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/26 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A deal was announced between Netflix and Verizon. Hopefully streaming will be functional again in the coming weeks.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Last night instead of using my bluray player, I hooked up my laptop instead.

I hit cntrl-alt-shift-S to get into Silverlight's manual over-ride. I set buffering to maximum. It took a couple tries, but I did get the movie to basically completely load (it took a while) before I hit play.

Had HD without any hangs, even though Netflix was crawling.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
It's not only netflix over fios. If you use anything that requires high throughput, you can see that the speed varies with the amount of overall traffic. If you compare your speeds during normal waking hours vs when everyone is asleep you will see a vast difference. I did not notice this as much when I had comcast.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 10:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Streaming appears to be getting worse (though it wasn't bad last night). Is it possible to build a home theater PC, load it to the 9's with ram, and increase the buffer Netflix uses to keep it from lagging?

I don't think your available ram has anything to do with it above dead minimum, some apps use the buffer more effectively, with Hulu you can see the buffer bar rather than just waiting for it to crap out like Netflix. That said, my FIOS hasn't been that bad, but I watch pretty late. I have 4gb in my HTPC.

What I'd really like to see is a streaming app that uses a drive buffer like the PVR apps do. They'll buffer as much as you tell them to, an hour, whatever. But perhaps that poses a higher than normal pirating risk, not that the current state stops anyone. I started to download the Daily Show simply because the streaming from legitimate sites like Hulu was so crappy.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Streaming appears to be getting worse (though it wasn't bad last night). Is it possible to build a home theater PC, load it to the 9's with ram, and increase the buffer Netflix uses to keep it from lagging?

Posted on: 2014/4/6 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I just took Verizons arm, put it behind it's back and shoved their head into a bucket of water for messing up my netflix and got $10 off my bill for a year. Just ask to speak with the elite customer service dept and be persistent and pissed. Mention Netflix, cogent and the CEO talking about making a deal but holding the Netflix customer hostage in the mean time. Mention your amazing fast internet speed tests except Netflix still sucks. Tell them you blame them and your leaving for Comcast unless you get compensated in some form or another. It worked for me! (After 3 hours and 4-5 calls) Netflix still doesn't work though so they will need to be cancelled as well. Verizon actually had the nerve to mention Redbox to me at one point. Bastards! I was bluffing the whole time though, Comcast is like a crazy ex-girlfriend you never want mentioned again. I absolutely can not stand the Comcast customer service and vowed to never again sign up with them. Verizon has been great but they need to feel pressure from customers to get this deal done, it's completely unacceptable that I get 30mbps download speed and can't stream Netflix on the lowest quality setting.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 3:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Brian Lehrer this morning: Netflix

Posted on: 2014/2/25 17:39

(1) 2 3 »