Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Snow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I was out clearing the walk and driveway. I don't get it: at least 4 or 5 senior citizens were out marching past me in that crap. WTF? What was so desperate that they didn't get it beforehand or couldn't wait till the storm was over and the sidewalks cleared?

Haven't you heard - 80 is the new 40. Maybe they:

were going to the gym or a hot yoga session
ran out of miso and were headed to P&K
had tickets to The Book of Mormon
were headed to the pharmacy for lube and some blue pills
were going to their favorate wine shop, because a case of the wine from the Tuscan town they went to on vacation had come in

Posted on: 2014/2/15 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Are you talking about 2 Journal Square Plaza? Hartz Mountain owns it. They don't clean very well. They seem to do the minimum. Feel free to report them.

http://www.hartzmountain.com/developments/journal_square.html

Posted on: 2014/2/15 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday (Thursday) I saw a dedicated snow removal mini snowplowing vehicle driven by a building maintenance worker down the sidewalk adjacent to the parking garage North of the PATH station on JFK Blvd. this is the large modern building on the West side of the street North of the tracks. Minimal effort to drive this thing down the sidewalk but it turns out this person only made one pass and the swath he cut through the snow is not as wide as the sidewalk nor was it wide enough for two people to pass each other. 24 hours later the sidewalk is covered with commuters on foot slogging home and the walk has seen no further snow removal and is not wide enough to allow two way foot traffic. Unacceptable. This is a property that OWNS A SNOW PLOW DESIGNED FOR THE SIDEWALK. They have employees who can operate it but they didn?t fully clear the public sidewalk? Looking over at their vast parking facility 100 yards away I could see acres of cleared pavement, plowed clean to allow for paid parking. Unacceptable. If the large managed properties show this sort of contempt for their responsibility to clear the sidewalks how are we going to get the small business owners to do the right thing and clear generous amounts of sidewalk so the rest of us can at least walk around our town like its civilized?

Posted on: 2014/2/14 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if recycling will be picked up soon?

Our block has thurs night recycling. So currently, all our recycling is still on the curb (along with the rest of the street).

Wondering if we should leave them out (and hope for a special pick up schedule to make up for the missed one last night), or should I bring it in to wait for next thurs?

Posted on: 2014/2/14 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
With all the corners needing snow removal it didn't look good to see a bobcat snowplow clearing the snow in Van Vorst Park. Where are the DPW crews who did this in past years? Not even clearing sewer grates to allow the lakes of water to go down. A horrid mess.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh what fun!!!!

Posted on: 2014/2/14 21:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
My guess, sadly, would be pharmacies - at least those where you can play the numbers....
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I was out clearing the walk and driveway. I don't get it: at least 4 or 5 senior citizens were out marching past me in that crap. WTF? What was so desperate that they didn't get it beforehand or couldn't wait till the storm was over and the sidewalks cleared?

I'm guessing Church and/or Pharmacy visits.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 23:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users

brewster wrote:

The usual.
Milk, Bread and Eggs

Posted on: 2014/2/13 23:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
For any inquiring minds ?.

Update Feb. 13, 12:53pm - Tonight?s Garbage and Recycling is cancelled due to the inclement weather.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Seattle refused to salt roads in order to save the environment.

This was the result:

Posted on: 2014/2/13 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
JCbiscuit - the articles you quote are referring to an average town inland somewhere.

Jersey City is surrounded by estuary, we are not the typical location they are thinking of in these articles.

Robin.

So you think rock salt isn't harmful to OUR environment? That's insane, You sound like those old time residents who used to pour their used motor oil down the sewer drains.

Oil comes from the ground! It's natural!

Meanwhile, here is some science from an actual estuary that is feeling the ill-effects of our addiction to road salt.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/education/envirothon/salt.html

But who needs science when we have Tern's opinion?

And it's 100% organic! Unlike all these genetically modified dogs running around.

The EPA recommends keeping dog crap out of the gutters, but not rock salt. When you find some science supporting your hyperbole, perhaps you can write to the EPA and get them to add salt to their list of estuary pollutants.

http://water.epa.gov/type/oceb/fact5.cfm

While we're quoting the EPA, here are a few more entries FROM THAT SAME WEBSITE.

http://www.epa.gov/ada/eco/pdfs/road_salts.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/region1/topics/water/pdfs/winterfacts.pdf

http://blog.epa.gov/healthywaters/201 ... ter-with-a-grain-of-salt/

"Once in the groundwater, salt remains there for decades."

"Several recent studies have shown that by using new techniques, equipment, and chemicals, roads can actually
be safer with less salt use."

And not one mention of dog poop.

And where in any of those additional links does it say it harms estuaries?

Posted on: 2014/2/13 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
JCbiscuit - the articles you quote are referring to an average town inland somewhere.

Jersey City is surrounded by estuary, we are not the typical location they are thinking of in these articles.

Robin.

So you think rock salt isn't harmful to OUR environment? That's insane, You sound like those old time residents who used to pour their used motor oil down the sewer drains.

Meanwhile, here is some science from an actual estuary that is feeling the ill-effects of our addiction to road salt.

And it's 100% organic! Unlike all these genetically modified dogs running around.

The EPA recommends keeping dog crap out of the gutters, but not rock salt. When you find some science supporting your hyperbole, perhaps you can write to the EPA and get them to add salt to their list of estuary pollutants.

While we're quoting the EPA, here are a few more entries FROM THAT SAME WEBSITE.

http://www.epa.gov/ada/eco/pdfs/road_salts.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/region1/topics/water/pdfs/winterfacts.pdf

http://blog.epa.gov/healthywaters/201 ... ter-with-a-grain-of-salt/

"Once in the groundwater, salt remains there for decades."

"Several recent studies have shown that by using new techniques, equipment, and chemicals, roads can actually
be safer with less salt use."

And not one mention of dog poop.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I'm guessing Church and/or Pharmacy visits.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> Meanwhile, here is some science from an actual estuary that is feeling the ill-effects of our addiction to road salt.
> http://www.dnr.state.md.us/education/envirothon/salt.html

I have just read that article fully, it doesn't seem to describe any ill-effects of salt on the estuary.

Not saying it doesn't happen, I haven't researched it. But none of the articles you have posted so far demonstrate salt being bad for a seaside location.
Superficially it seems unlikely adding salt to an already salty estuary will have an impact.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
brewster wrote: I was out clearing the walk and driveway. I don't get it: at least 4 or 5 senior citizens were out marching past me in that crap. WTF? What was so desperate that they didn't get it beforehand or couldn't wait till the storm was over and the sidewalks cleared?

I know.

Pregnant Woman Fatally Struck By Snow Plow In Brooklyn:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/1 ... by-snow-plow-in-brooklyn/

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Quote:

Practice good housekeeping. Around the house, keep litter, pet waste, leaves, and grass clippings out of street gutters and storm drains to prevent their entrance into streams that might flow to estuaries. Never dump any household, automotive, or gardening wastes into a storm drain. It might end up in an estuary. Keep your septic system in good working order. Replace any dripping faucets or leaky pipes and install water-saving devices in shower heads and toilets. Always follow label directions for the use and disposal of household chemicals. Take used motor oil, paints, and other hazardous household materials to proper collection sites such as approved service stations or designated landfills.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Given JC is surrounded by a salt estuary, I can't believe there's significant environment pollution with salt runoff.

sorry your belief system clashes with science. perhaps you can tackle evolution next? (after you over-salt your sidewalk. science can wait.)

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7229424/#.Uv0k_0JdWHc

Posted on: 2014/2/13 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm probably the only one here who is happy about this mess (except for the previous poster, out having a snowball fight with the kids - you go!) but today, like during our last snowstorm, was such an easy commute!

School cancelled, so no 3-block long traffic jam in front of P.S. 8 on Franklin Street, people who insist on driving everywhere apparently stayed home. The 87 bus was on-time, PATH to WTC had plenty of seats. Unlike the last 3 nights, where it took 45 minutes to 1 hour to get to the Heights from Hoboken Terminal, this was a breeze!

Posted on: 2014/2/13 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, just got back from the park with the kids. Snow is definitely wet, and heavy - great for making snow balls!!!

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping to get up there early for the exact reason dtjcview mentioned. The later I shovel the tougher it's gonna be.

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for once the state of emergency is lifted.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just shoveled my sidewalk. Snow is heavy due to the rain and will likely only get heavier during the day. Worth shoveling early if you can before the next round hits, and perhaps turning what's underneath to ice.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
heights wrote: It would be a benefit to those and there are many unfortunately that cannot speak the kings English to learn for liability reasons. I'd rather take a crash course then to subject myself to an injury or mishap due to my being inept, neglect, and ignorance of what my priority should be.

Quote:

mdips wrote:
was wondering if anybody has been out on the streets? I was hoping to drive up to the heights to help shovel out a couple houses.

City of Jersey City ?@JC_Gov 2/2 The State of Emergency orders that only essential public safety vehicles may be driven on city roads.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
mdips wrote:
was wondering if anybody has been out on the streets? I was hoping to drive up to the heights to help shovel out a couple houses. [/quote]

State of emergency means you can get ticketed for driving around.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
was wondering if anybody has been out on the streets? I was hoping to drive up to the heights to help shovel out a couple houses.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
It feels like they are preaching to the choir. How about the people who don't speak English or who don't have a smartphone or who are not on Facebook or Twitter? How do you get the message to them?

Twitter:
City of Jersey City ?@JC_Gov
1/2 Mayor Fulop, in conjunction with OEM, has declared a State of Emergency for #jerseycity as a result of the severe winter storm.

They can look out the window or turn on the TV to a channel that broadcasts in a language they understand.

Posted on: 2014/2/13 18:06

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017