Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Rutgers graduate, 22, dies after car plunges into water off Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
This is sad and confusing. Where did he start driving from? Surf City is closed for the winter, unless they had some kind of New Year's event. Did he drive down Marin for some time and just continue into the water? He may have just passed out at the wheel. Or maybe he had parked his car there and just couldn't navigate out of the lot, for whatever reason (drunk, tired, careless...).

As far as drinking and driving, I think there are four types of people:

- People who do not drive. (Few)

- People who do not drink. (Few)

- People who have DUI's, (more than a few)

- People who have driven while intoxicated, but fortunately have not been caught or involved in an accident. Yet. (a shitload)

There is no excuse for drinking and driving.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
This is sad and confusing. Where did he start driving from? Surf City is closed for the winter, unless they had some kind of New Year's event. Did he drive down Marin for some time and just continue into the water? He may have just passed out at the wheel. Or maybe he had parked his car there and just couldn't navigate out of the lot, for whatever reason (drunk, tired, careless...).

As far as drinking and driving, I think there are four types of people:

- People who do not drive. (Few)

- People who do not drink. (Few)

- People who have DUI's, (more than a few)

- People who have driven while intoxicated, but fortunately have not been caught or involved in an accident. Yet. (a shitload)

Posted on: 2014/1/2 21:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Well, there's nothing like a tragedy to make others feel the need to fill up voids in their own self-esteem.

If a drunk driver plows down a group on a sidewalk, it's a tragedy for the pedestrians and we're out calling for the driver's head on a stake.

Nah man. It's just natural selection weeding out pedestrians whose reflexes aren't above average, right?

Posted on: 2014/1/2 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This could have been a suicide.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 20:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/23 13:55
Group:
Registered Users
I'm with you. My first thought was sympathy for the young man and his family.

My 2nd thought, very quickly was, "Wow, I'm glad he drove towards the river instead of towards Grand Street where he could have killed many innocent people."

Our culture is way too lawsuit-happy.

Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Well, there's nothing like a tragedy to make others feel the need to fill up voids in their own self-esteem.

If a drunk driver plows down a group on a sidewalk, it's a tragedy for the pedestrians and we're out calling for the driver's head on a stake.

If a drunk driver speeds through a parking lot and in to the water, we're suddenly sympathetic for the driver?

Why is the driver in scenario one wrong and the driver in scenario two unfortunate?

If "filling my self-esteem" includes being happy this guy didn't take out any innocent lives in his cloud of misjudgment, than yes, my self-esteem meter is at an all time high.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Poor lighting combined with the moveable barrier. Tragic. He shouldn't have been going so fast but the restaurant has some culpability in this matter as well.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Photos in the NJ.com article make it clear that the "barriers" were the portable pedestrian / crowd control types. There is no way the would have stopped any motor vehicle.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_jersey_city_family.html

Regardless of any possible responsibility of the driver, that sure looks unsafe to me. Whoever was supposed to replace the barriers shares some of the responsibility here.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/1/2 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
If...

If...

Why is the driver in scenario one wrong and the driver in scenario two unfortunate?

There?s only one scenario: The one where it appears that a young man died because a mistake he made happened in close proximity to an unsafe, unacceptable condition. You can speculate about what might have happened otherwise and demonize the victim for what you see in your own imagination, but that?s entirely subjective and irrelevant.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Seems like there was a barrier, though it was steel and not concrete.

Based on the photos, it was a lightweight crowd barrier that might not even have been able to stop a coasting vehicle.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
From the article:

"he saw the driver speed past in the darkness, crashing through a steel barrier and splashing into the water seconds later in the Morris Canal.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/m ... e-1.1563235#ixzz2pGOD1NSe"

Seems like there was a barrier, though it was steel and not concrete.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

If a drunk driver speeds through a parking lot and in to the water, we're suddenly sympathetic for the driver?

If "filling my self-esteem" includes being happy this guy didn't take out any innocent lives in his cloud of misjudgment, than yes, my self-esteem meter is at an all time high.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
The "potential danger" was a non-issue until you mix in post-NYE celebrations. Alcohol? Nah, can't be.

I understand?you?re pointing your finger solely at the victim because you don?t approve of the presumed manner in which he made his mistake. Thankfully, traffic barriers have no such bias and are equal-opportunity lifesavers. They exist precisely so that accidents such as this don?t become tragedies.

A missing automobile barrier between a large body of water and a parking lot is never a ?non issue,? and the people who failed to install one?and their lawyers?know it.

You are absolutely correct. I'm a big fan of natural selection. The lawyers will have a valid case, though.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I understand?you?re pointing your finger solely at the victim because you don?t approve of the presumed manner in which he made his mistake.

You are absolutely correct. I'm a big fan of natural selection.

Please. Natural selection has not been a relevant factor in the evolution of our species for many thousands of years, and for that you should consider yourself fortunate. We all should.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
The "potential danger" was a non-issue until you mix in post-NYE celebrations. Alcohol? Nah, can't be.

I understand?you?re pointing your finger solely at the victim because you don?t approve of the presumed manner in which he made his mistake. Thankfully, traffic barriers have no such bias and are equal-opportunity lifesavers. They exist precisely so that accidents such as this don?t become tragedies.

A missing automobile barrier between a large body of water and a parking lot is never a ?non issue,? and the people who failed to install one?and their lawyers?know it.

You are absolutely correct. I'm a big fan of natural selection. The lawyers will have a valid case, though.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Remember Zev Segal... traffic barriers are installed for a reason. Victim blaming must somehow make jmiz feel better about his sad self.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/nyregion/07rabbi.html

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
that?s sustained negligence by a group of fully grown adults who, as experienced professionals in their fields, must have been aware of the potential danger. It?s also disappointing that the City failed to enforce any action on the part of NY Waterway and/or Liberty Harbor to address a major safety hazard before it was too late.

Hundreds of people use that lot every day to board the NY Water Taxi. Dozens of RVs use the RV park behind the parking lot. Even more used that lot during the summer once Surf City reopened. The "potential danger" was a non-issue until you mix in post-NYE celebrations. Alcohol? Nah, can't be.

That's certainly possible. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be a (removable) barrier, though.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
that?s sustained negligence by a group of fully grown adults who, as experienced professionals in their fields, must have been aware of the potential danger. It?s also disappointing that the City failed to enforce any action on the part of NY Waterway and/or Liberty Harbor to address a major safety hazard before it was too late.

Hundreds of people use that lot every day to board the NY Water Taxi. Dozens of RVs use the RV park behind the parking lot. Even more used that lot during the summer once Surf City reopened. The "potential danger" was a non-issue until you mix in post-NYE celebrations. Alcohol? Nah, can't be.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very, very sad. Sure, young people do stupid things and accidents happen, but as far as I can tell, that section of the lot has been missing a proper automobile barrier since it was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy over a year ago. That?s more than a single mistake on behalf one person, that?s sustained negligence by a group of fully grown adults who, as experienced professionals in their fields, must have been aware of the potential danger. It?s also disappointing that the City failed to enforce any action on the part of NY Waterway and/or Liberty Harbor to address a major safety hazard before it was too late.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
I thought the Sand Bar had closed down and replaced with a newer place.

Robin.

It's called Surf City I believe. Same nuisance though it seems.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the Sand Bar had closed down and replaced with a newer place.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 22:09

Rutgers graduate, 22, dies after car plunges into water off Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A recent Rutgers University grad died early New Year?s Day when his runaway car smashed through a steel barrier and sank in the waters off Liberty State Park, police said.
The weeping parents and sister of Mark Pych, 22, stood on the Jersey City banks of the Hudson River hours after the bizarre 3:30 a.m. crash, wondering what went wrong.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/m ... e-1.1563235#ixzz2pBduXCKk

Posted on: 2014/1/1 22:01

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017