Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Rutgers graduate, 22, dies after car plunges into water off Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
So what are your theories? He was blinded? He just didn't bother to look out the windshield? The gas-pedal got stuck? He was showing off? Just saying that a railing could have saved him is really just speculation too.

I can imagine of all kinds of stuff that might have happened, but the absence of an appropriate barrier insured that no moving vehicle could have been impeded, which is NOT speculation. That?s why we insist on barriers between roadways/parking lots, and large bodies of water?because who knows what might happen.

Well if he drove through a bench and an orange barricade then he was either wildly out of control or did it on purpose. All evidence is that he did not roll slowly into the river. Whether drowning or horrific crash, it was going to happen either way. Glad no one else was injured.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
So what are your theories? He was blinded? He just didn't bother to look out the windshield? The gas-pedal got stuck? He was showing off? Just saying that a railing could have saved him is really just speculation too.

I can imagine of all kinds of stuff that might have happened, but the absence of an appropriate barrier insured that no moving vehicle could have been impeded, which is NOT speculation. That?s why we insist on barriers between roadways/parking lots, and large bodies of water?because who knows what might happen.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Listen Monroe, if the police officers saw the danger during the night, they would not have proceeded. I am sure the same thing could have been said about this young man. Lighting is poor in Jersey City especially at night. My point is - the city is always giving fines to regular folks but ignore something major like this.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/1/8 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Seriously, though, the posts on this thread are disgusting. How about we wait until the toxicology reports and actual facts come out about this incident? Typical JC List.

Further, even if comes back that this kid was high as a kite and drunk as a skunk, is dancing on his grave really necessary? Are some of your inferiority complexes so intense that being right on something like this brings you joy?

+1

Posted on: 2014/1/8 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
How about we leave speculation, demonization, and irrational, conditional empathy aside, and speak objectively?

Simply put, given the information at our disposal, it was possible for a car to be driven into the marina because a required barrier was missing. Because the chances of having an automobile accident are rather high while the tolerance for injury is very low, our nation?s attitude toward roadway safety has deemed it critically important that such conditions are not permitted to exist. In this case, an unsafe condition was allowed persist for an extended period of time, and it sadly became a case study in ?accidents waiting to happen.?

The work to repair the damage to the barrier after Hurricane Sandy was never performed, and while it was obviously a mistake, that particular aspect of the story was probably no accident. If I?m going to speculate, I?d wager that several fully-grown adults in positions of responsibility were aware of the situation for over a year and yet failed to resolve the problem, regardless of what I might assume about the driver.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Seriously, though, the posts on this thread are disgusting. How about we wait until the toxicology reports and actual facts come out about this incident? Typical JC List.

Further, even if comes back that this kid was high as a kite and drunk as a skunk, is dancing on his grave really necessary? Are some of your inferiority complexes so intense that being right on something like this brings you joy?

Posted on: 2014/1/8 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

We can erect a sign at the point of entry - My money is with drug or alcohol related for this wasted life

Posted on: 2014/1/8 8:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I couldn't care less about Peter Mocco but it's amazing how we try and blame anybody but the guy who drove his car, at a high rate of speed, into a river. In any case, I still suspect DWI and/or suicide.

1) No one is exculpating the driver.
2) There is zero reason to suspect suicide.
3) Speculation is not a substitute for actual evidence.

No matter what, the property owner is not solely responsible. But he definitely bears some responsibility.

So you are speculating that it was not suicide. In any case, young man just graduated from college, booze plus the holidays plus the new pressures of success equals plenty of evidence to speculate that it could easily be suicide.

If I was a family member I'd be devastated by these unnecessary speculations. What right?

Agreed. As if losing their kid wasn't hard enough, now they get some stranger with no facts crying "suicide!" Tacky and heartless.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 8:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let us not forget two police officers did something similar by driving in the water. It is dark in the early morning hours. The city has no problem issuing parking tickets but doesn't recognize the danger this cause?

There is no comparison you could make between the tragic accident of the policemen driving off the bridge, which was the case of both equipment malfunction followed by human error, and this which (likely) is due to a person making a bad choice and driving impaired.

http://www.njlawman.com/Memorial/Jersey-City.htm

Posted on: 2014/1/8 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I couldn't care less about Peter Mocco but it's amazing how we try and blame anybody but the guy who drove his car, at a high rate of speed, into a river. In any case, I still suspect DWI and/or suicide.

No matter what, the property owner is not solely responsible. But he definitely bears some responsibility.

So you are speculating that it was not suicide. In any case, young man just graduated from college, booze plus the holidays plus the new pressures of success equals plenty of evidence to speculate that it could easily be suicide.

If I was a family member I'd be devastated by these unnecessary speculations. What right?

Posted on: 2014/1/8 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Let us not forget two police officers did something similar by driving in the water. It is dark in the early morning hours. The city has no problem issuing parking tickets but doesn't recognize the danger this cause?

Posted on: 2014/1/8 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/7 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/6 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

I don't think anyone is absolving the driver of blame. we're simply pointing out that a dark, barrier-free stretch of waterfront probably didn't help the situation.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Yeah, no barrier.

Again, it is unclear how much the driver's own actions contributed to his death; we will probably never know for certain.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that the property owner failed to put in any sort of barrier after Sandy, and this contributed to the death. No matter how things shake out, the property owner bears some responsibility for this outcome.

from the Daily News, "A parking lot attendant said he saw the driver speed past in the darkness..."

No lights. No barrier. This was a disaster waiting to happen.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, no barrier.

Again, it is unclear how much the driver's own actions contributed to his death; we will probably never know for certain.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that the property owner failed to put in any sort of barrier after Sandy, and this contributed to the death. No matter how things shake out, the property owner bears some responsibility for this outcome.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Barrier erected where Jersey City man drove into the Morris Canal and died yesterday

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
January 02, 2014 at 6:58 PM

The bulkhead at the foot of Marin Boulevard in Jersey City where a Jersey City man died after driving into the water early yesterday morning is crumbling into the Morris Canal and there was no guardrail or barrier at the time.

By this afternoon, five massive concrete blocks had been placed at the location as a barrier where Mark Pych, 22, had driven into the river.

According to New Jersey property assessment records, the land is own by Liberty Harbor Holding, which is owned by developer Peter Mocco.

Asked today about the deteriorating bulkhead, lack of a guard rail and whether he owned the property, Mocco said ?I think it?s inappropriate for me to comment except to say it was an unfortunate incident that happened. I can?t say anything more than that. My sympathies go out to the family of the young boy and I wish them well.?

Read more from the Jersesy Journal

Posted on: 2014/1/6 8:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
The metal pedestrian barriers in the photographs are from after the accident. No one knows what was there before, unless someone has a recent picture of the area. If you look at the truck in the background of the picture, you'll see a lot of debris from what looks like a wooden dock, matching up closely with what was along the water.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Yeah, I feel terrible for the family but trying to spread the blame in a case like this is silly. If I wanted to I could drive my car through the front door of Helen's Pizza. Some things just can't be guarded against and any other thinking is just a result of our litigious society.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Agreed that you can't idiot proof everything and hand hold everyone through every part of life. But, threads like this are frustrating.

Wishful thinking's sentiment is spot on. All these junior detectives jumping to conclusions on here with no reports of anything. How about we wait to hear the tox. reports before assuming anything?

Regardless of the reason, this guy's family is grieving on New Year's, and that's pretty sh*tty. Let's not on dance on this kid's grave.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I've yet to hear/read about the toxicology results in the paper - unless someone has, and can bring everyone up to date, I don't think anyone is in a position to comment on what happened! Regardless, this is a tragedy for his family and friends, and my heart goes out to them. No matter what the cause, the guy paid dearly and his friends and family will bear this loss always.

Looking at the condition of the parking lot and lack of barrier with my day job hat as a City official (although not in JC) on, I'm appalled this patently unsafe - for a lot of people and situations - condition was permited to exist. The ownership of the property absolutely must take responsibility for their failure to maintain the properpty safely. Mayor Fulop et al, if you are reading this, you have to step up and deal with this nonsense from scofflaw property owners.

+1

Ain't buying it. There are some things we just know. Don't walk off the PATH Train platform, Don't drive into oncoming traffic, Don't drive into the river. If we have to idiot-proof everything then we've lost.

This area couldn't have been guarded against? lulz

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Yeah, I feel terrible for the family but trying to spread the blame in a case like this is silly. If I wanted to I could drive my car through the front door of Helen's Pizza. Some things just can't be guarded against and any other thinking is just a result of our litigious society.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Agreed that you can't idiot proof everything and hand hold everyone through every part of life. But, threads like this are frustrating.

Wishful thinking's sentiment is spot on. All these junior detectives jumping to conclusions on here with no reports of anything. How about we wait to hear the tox. reports before assuming anything?

Regardless of the reason, this guy's family is grieving on New Year's, and that's pretty sh*tty. Let's not on dance on this kid's grave.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I've yet to hear/read about the toxicology results in the paper - unless someone has, and can bring everyone up to date, I don't think anyone is in a position to comment on what happened! Regardless, this is a tragedy for his family and friends, and my heart goes out to them. No matter what the cause, the guy paid dearly and his friends and family will bear this loss always.

Looking at the condition of the parking lot and lack of barrier with my day job hat as a City official (although not in JC) on, I'm appalled this patently unsafe - for a lot of people and situations - condition was permited to exist. The ownership of the property absolutely must take responsibility for their failure to maintain the properpty safely. Mayor Fulop et al, if you are reading this, you have to step up and deal with this nonsense from scofflaw property owners.

+1

Ain't buying it. There are some things we just know. Don't walk off the PATH Train platform, Don't drive into oncoming traffic, Don't drive into the river. If we have to idiot-proof everything then we've lost.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Surf City is closed to the public for the winter and will reopen in March 2014. Surf City is available during the winter for corporate and private events.

Was he going to a private party there?

http://www.surfcitybar.com/

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
HE was speeding!
IF he was speeding towards the street , no doubt he wouldve takened innocent lives.
Good thing he didn't and only his life and for that, I say he did others a favor!

Drinking and what else he was taking and driving do not mix.

I only feel for his family. Period.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
This is sad and confusing. Where did he start driving from? Surf City is closed for the winter, unless they had some kind of New Year's event. Did he drive down Marin for some time and just continue into the water? He may have just passed out at the wheel. Or maybe he had parked his car there and just couldn't navigate out of the lot, for whatever reason (drunk, tired, careless...).

As far as drinking and driving, I think there are four types of people:

- People who do not drive. (Few)

- People who do not drink. (Few)

- People who have DUI's, (more than a few)

- People who have driven while intoxicated, but fortunately have not been caught or involved in an accident. Yet. (a shitload)

There is no excuse for drinking and driving.

Where was the excuse?

Posted on: 2014/1/2 22:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017