Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: dog question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
There are also breed-specific rescues you can look into. If you really want a Boston terrier, just google "boston terrier rescue nj" and you'll get many options. For example:
http://www.nebostonrescue.com/

Posted on: 2014/1/2 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it's over the top at all to say all breeders are evil. When we in the U.S.A. are KILLING MILLIONS OF DOGS and someone is artificially breeding "brand name" dogs for the sake of profits, that makes me sick. When the shelters are empty then please, breed away.

Yes, people love their "breeder dogs" because they view them as a piece of property like a handbag or new pair of shoes (yes, I know the law agrees with this viewpoint). If you valued dogs as living, emotional creatures, you would NOT be ok with the holocaust happening right now across this country and the mass killing of healthy dogs.

And French Bulldogs/Pugs, etc... do their owners even comprehend how uncomfortable their lives are? "Reputable" breeders have turned them into these mutant animals that have severe breathing issues and decreasing life spans. French Bulldogs cannot even reproduce on their now, doesn't that tell you something???

These "reputable" breeders pay dues to the AKC to be certified. The AKC uses a large portion of these dues to lobby state governments in the midwest where puppy mills thrive, because the mills are the largest bloc of financial support to the AKC. The AKC makes sure these states don't enforce existing laws and don't create stricter ones. So while your little toy is winning you ribbons and trophies, puppy mills thrive.

It is insane to me that someone with a functioning brain can possibly justify giving a commercial breeder hundreds/thousands of dollars for an animal that is simultaneously going through a mass killing across this country. You can just say "I don't care and want my designer breeder dog" and there's nothing I can say other than you are heartless.

/end rant

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The dog is 3 and he is not at a shelter. He is in foster care.

I happened to watch a Kathy Griffin stand up where she talked about her adopted dog who has behavior issues. The joke was that fosters will say anything to get a dog adopted: "Loves people; loves kids; etc." Makes me wonder.

Kathy Griffin is a comedian. Please don't take what she says as gospel. I foster dogs (through Anarchy Animal Rescue on Staten Island), and the last thing we want is to get a dog back. It makes no sense for us to mislead prospective adopters.

I've fostered dogs that I've gone into great detail to describe as "lively and energetic," only to have somebody say, "he would be great for my couch-potato mom." No, he wouldn't.

A good foster parent is like a good yenta. Find one and you'll find your perfect companion.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/1/2 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I am also in the process of adopting a dog. I've been looking at one that was a breeding stud in a puppy farm for three years. His foster owner describes him as good-natured, but still, after 3-4 months, not house-trained. She says she had other training priorities, but I'm worried that an adult dog might be difficult to house train.

Advice?

My dog was also a puppy mill stud, and housebreaking took a little longer, but now he's the king of dry floors.

If his foster mom has a house full of pups, she might be using wee-wee pads out of necessity. Some one-on-one training might be just what your future pup needs.

If everything else about his temperament suits you, don't be discouraged!

Posted on: 2014/1/2 3:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
There are plenty of reputable breeders. Saying all breeders are bad is ridiculous. You should certainly check out shelters and rescues FIRST, but if you want a specific breed, check out breed-specific rescues. I have two purebred dogs I got from breeders, but my previous dog was a purebred, pedigreed English Bulldog I got from the Teterboro shelter who had been just dumped there, papers and AKC registration and all. Prior to her, I had two shelter mixed breeds in a row. Your needs are your needs and you don't need to be bullied or intimidated by people who have good intentions but who don't live your life. I definitely agree that there are thousands of dogs in need of good homes in shelters right now who you could make the difference between life and death for, but it isn't fair to malign all breeders, many of whom are wonderful and who practice healthy and sustainable breeding practices.

If you want a Boston Terrier because of size/disposition/personality, I recommend considering a French Bulldog. I have two and I work closely with the French Bulldog Rescue Network which does amazing work finding new homes for rescued dogs. http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/adoption-info/available-dogs2/

Posted on: 2014/1/1 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
The term "reputable breeder" is akin to "harmless bomb." A dog is a living emotional being, not a branded handbag to buy.

See Spot Rescued gets the best dogs while breeders profit off of the euthanization of 4 million innocent pups a year. I've met so many See Spot Rescued dogs around town and they are just exceptional. Another local rescue I've met the founder is called Animal Lighthouse Rescue.

PLEASE do not buy from any breeder!!!

Adoptions are up while "sales" are down, so why not be on the right side of history?

That's a little unfair about breeders. My girlfriend bought from a breeder & her dog wound up reaching number 3 in Best of Breed at Westminster. A responsible breeder will have no problem with you visiting their operation & interacting with the breeding stock as well as the perspective pup to be purchased. My neighbors bought their last pup like this & came home with a binder about as thick as a dictionary filled with vet records, feeding, care & everything you would ever want to know. If you go to one of these places that advertise they sell AKC puppies & see that these poor little things come from places like Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi ect - these dogs come from puppy farms & you are not saving them by buying them, you are condemning others to a miserable life because as long as there is a market, there will be unscrupulous breeders.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

I happened to watch a Kathy Griffin stand up where she talked about her adopted dog who has behavior issues. The joke was that fosters will say anything to get a dog adopted: "Loves people; loves kids; etc." Makes me wonder.

Excellent point & things should not be taken at face value. I know the shelter I adopted from takes great pains in making sure their dogs are happy. It was 3 months before they even showed the dog I adopted & I was the 4th person who came in to look at her.

A dog that is 3 is not too old to learn new behaviour & a good foster home will nurture & take great pains in matching dog & potential owner. Have you been to the caretaker's home or been allowed to spend time with the dog on a one to one basis? Is the dog crate trained? (Something I hate personally)

If he is not neutered, ask if that is included in the price. Also ask to see any vet records since he has been put in foster care.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Crating a dog can sometimes help with soiling issues. Not my first choice but it does work. As for dog walking fees. They run about $15.00-$25.00 a walk.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 22:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/22 12:10
Group:
Registered Users
Another rescue organization, where I got my dog, is Animal Lifesavers. They're based out of Palisades Park and have the dogs in foster care. They are usually at adoption events on the weekends at Petsmart in North Bergen. Most Petsmarts I believe have dogs for adoption there on weekends, brought by volunteers from rescue organizations.

My sister used this dog walker for her foster dog and was very happy with him: http://www.aplusdogwalking.com/

Also, some daycares may be affordable... for example Club Barks winds up being $20-22 a day if you buy enough days in a package, and you can leave the dog there for the whole day. Not a bad deal when some dog walkers will charge around $15.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/1 21:33
I live by the river.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate it.

If you're a dog walk browsing this thread, would love to know the average going rates around here. thanks!

Posted on: 2014/1/1 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Puppies are probably harder to house train, than adult dogs. Most of the ones you get from a shelter like Liberty have already been trained to go outside.

The biggest risk you have adopting an adult dog is with temperament that may not be obvious at the shelter. Do they play nice with other dogs? How are they with kids, cats, etc? Do they fear traffic, loud noises, thunder, etc? I think most shelters will allow "you to try before you buy", to see if the dog fits in to your household. It's in both your interests.

Old dogs can learn new tricks. Probably the hardest thing to overcome in an older dog is fear and anxiety.

Good luck to you and your new companion :)

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I am also in the process of adopting a dog. I've been looking at one that was a breeding stud in a puppy farm for three years. His foster owner describes him as good-natured, but still, after 3-4 months, not house-trained. She says she had other training priorities, but I'm worried that an adult dog might be difficult to house train.

Advice?

How old is this dog? Is there a physical reason preventing the dog from controlling itself? A little consistency may be all the poor animal needs. This was probably a dog that was enclosed in a very small area & allowed to pee & poop wherever it could. What kind of foster home is this dog in now that his foster parent had other training priorities? How many is she fostering that she doesn't have time for a relatively simply problem? The point of fostering is to put these poor animals in a home situation & try to work the 'kinks' out of the dog so a forever home can be found.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Advice?

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:07
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Secaucus Animal Shelter is another good place to try. Animals are vetted, socialized, etc.

Also, using Petfinder.com is a pretty good source.

Bless you for looking to adopt. Owning any animal is a commitment & shelters are overloaded with older animals who lost their homes through no fault of their own.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Get a mutt - much less health issues. Pure-breds are simply in-breds.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm all for adoptions, I've never bought a cat, but isn't this a bit over the top? Without ANY breeders, there wouldn't be any of the purebreds so many people love. Breeder =\= puppy mill.

Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
The term "reputable breeder" is akin to "harmless bomb." A dog is a living emotional being, not a branded handbag to buy.

See Spot Rescued gets the best dogs while breeders profit off of the euthanization of 4 million innocent pups a year. I've met so many See Spot Rescued dogs around town and they are just exceptional. Another local rescue I've met the founder is called Animal Lighthouse Rescue.

Adoptions are up while "sales" are down, so why not be on the right side of history?

Posted on: 2014/1/1 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats on your decision to get a dog! So exciting. The rescues everyone mentioned are great. If you want to expand your search, I got my small dog from a rescue in Westchester, called Pet Rescue (Larchmont, NY).

I really like it when the dogs are in foster homes, because the foster family knows the animal really well, and they see their behavior as it is in a home.

I also just wanted to say it may take you a while to find the right dog for you. Try not to get discouraged! The little dogs seem to more sought after in shelters and rescue orgs, so it can take some time and patience, especially if you're looking for a puppy. It took me about four months to find my guy,but we're perfect for each other and it was so worth the wait.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/1/1 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Yes, adopt a dog, save a life.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed :)

Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
Please visit the Jersey City shelter managed by Liberty Humane Society first. They are located across from the Liberty Science Center near Liberty State Park. www.libertyhumane.org

CARE is a well established rescue located in Bayonne. They are not a shelter so dogs are in foster homes.
http://www.carenj.com/

See Spot Rescued is new in the area but brings up puppies and pure breed dogs from the south. Again no shelter. Dogs are in foster homes.
http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/82443.html

Posted on: 2014/1/1 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/1 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
All great places listed below.

Also please take serious consideration of the leash laws in NJ as this has been a contentious issue specifically in JC.

Good luck with your search. Post updates!

Posted on: 2014/1/1 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Please visit the Jersey City shelter managed by Liberty Humane Society first. They are located across from the Liberty Science Center near Liberty State Park. www.libertyhumane.org

CARE is a well established rescue located in Bayonne. They are not a shelter so dogs are in foster homes.
http://www.carenj.com/

See Spot Rescued is new in the area but brings up puppies and pure breed dogs from the south. Again no shelter. Dogs are in foster homes.
http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/82443.html

Posted on: 2014/1/1 15:57

dog question

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
I am considering getting a dog and I'm just beginning my research. I wanted to ask other dog owners on JClist for recommendations on shelters/reputable breeders in the surrounding area. Clearly there are alot of downtown JC dog owners, so I figured what better place to ask.

I am interested in a small to medium size dog befitting of apartment living here in JC. perhaps a boston terrier. I am also looking for reputable dog walkers and what the average going rates are these days for one.

Serious replies or suggestions only please.

Thanks. I appreciate any help.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 15:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017