Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Asian Food Market on Route 440
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I've been meaning to pass this on - they sell a brand of frozen buns and dumplings - PRIME - which is really good. The shrimp pork wontons are especially delicious. They also have mini dumplimgs that give soup dumplings a run for their money. Each bag is about $4.00 and has 25-30 pieces. All USA made.

They also sell Wei-Chuan frozen products that I have not tried, but this company publishes wonderful cookbooks, so of which are out of print and are asronomically priced, so I'll give them a try.

I've goven up on the fish, for the most part.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/25 21:42
From Brooklyn
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, Kobe and Wagyu beef are NOT the same. If you think they are you shouldn't be trying to comport yourself as a sushi expert in addition to a beef expert..

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
"sushi grade" tuna is just like a restaurant saying they serve kobe beef....it's a scam

Not true - since 2012 Japanese Kobe Beef (or Wagyu) can be imported, each serving has it's own unique number and certificate of authenticity. The Old Homestead steakhouse in the meat packing district serves it.

"Sushi Grade" means that you can eat it raw and still taste good. This is not true of just any tuna caught then frozen.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Went tonight for the second time and they ran out of baked pork buns... I was upset, but that's good business.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 6:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Finally went there today! Got there late so the store was kind of empty already. Spend over $100 and got a free bottle of Canola Oil, and a pack of red pockets!!! It was a packing frenzy with two cashier ladies, and my husband and myself trying to pack (one of the ladies is eager to leave as her shift is just over). We walked out with 20 bags that has an average of 4 items in them each.

Everyone looks good, but must admit the snack section looks GREAT. Better than some of the ones in Chinatown even!!!

Love the aisle space!!! So much room to manuver my shopping cart. I always feel like I'm running over old ladies with a shopping cart in the Chinatown supermarkets.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
corybraiterman wrote: There's seating right by the front. When you walk in the front outside door, look to your right. There's a small seating area with like... a dozen tables or so.

Thanks. Maybe I do need that time machine for my eyes. I was standing right by the baked goods counter and didn?t even notice the seating. Nice that you got that tea do you want to trade it for my balloon?

Posted on: 2014/1/25 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

I am not a great shopper but all of the produce looked ?happy? to me.

The asparagus wasn't all that great, but I was able to pick and choose some stuff to get a decent bunch. Everything else seemed pretty ok.
Quote:

They are selling all of that hot food but there is no seating. You have to take it home to enjoy it. Or sit in your car and eat while fighting off the many seagulls that have surrounded your car. (don?t ask)

There's seating right by the front. When you walk in the front outside door, look to your right. There's a small seating area with like... a dozen tables or so.

I didn't get a balloon today, but the samples were plentiful - the chili sauce they used to fry up some tofu was great, as was the light soy sauce and pearl rice they had in the back. The soy milk one they had was pretty tasty, too.

Between my friend and I, we dropped close to a hundo and got a free 100-ct box of tea!

Posted on: 2014/1/25 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Went there today (Sat) the place was packed. The owner was handing out balloons to the kids, dang guy handed me one also. Hmmm maybe my workouts at RF are paying off. (I can cancel my order for a time machine) Like I said in a post below it is so nice to see the HM lots filled with cars. Between RF and the AF places the HM area is really making a come back.

When the HM first opened it was just an outdoor strip mall , it later became an enclosed mall. It was THE place to go if you were young and lived in JC. All kinds of stores and restaurants. (and a cool record store) You would have to park in the big parking lots behind the mall that is how crowded it got. Newport Mall ruined HM and the rest of retail in JC.

I am not a great shopper but all of the produce looked ?happy? to me. So did the seafood swimming around in the tanks. (I guess until they are picked) I was just amazed walking around looking at all of the items and especially the fish in the back and the hot food/bakery goods on the side. Wow! (I know?I need to get out more) I even was brave enough to take the free samples of soup that the young girls were handing out. I don?t have a clue what it was but it was hmm hmm good. (hope it wasn?t octopus soup)

They should have bus tours of the place for old time JCer?s like they do for the big hunting/outdoors store in Pennsylvania Cabela?s. I guess the only bad thing is you need to know what you are buying. The many aisles are marked in English and Chinese (?) but I didn?t have a clue what the products on the shelves were. Seems the packaging even had pictures of ?happy? smiling faces on them. So I guess it must be good. I did recognize the old standards?string beans, mushrooms, apples, and carrots. Oh and the asparagus. I now know I must expand my menu too more than just hamburgers and potatoes. (is that right Dan Q?)

I posted this before ?I heard that an Asian food market wanted to open in the HM area for about 10 years. In that big green factory across 440 from the HM. The one that has a big for rent sign on it. Somehow the city would not let it be. Don?t know why.

Oh yeah? To answer the asparagus question if it wasn?t already answered a bunch of it is 99 cents a lb regularly $1.49 a lb. Saw it with my own eyes. You will have stinky pee for a while at those prices.

In closing I will say it again there are 4 empty store fronts inside of the HM. The AF market should open a satellite restaurant in there. They are selling all of that hot food but there is no seating. You have to take it home to enjoy it. Or sit in your car and eat while fighting off the many seagulls that have surrounded your car. (don?t ask)

Posted on: 2014/1/25 20:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
I visited the asian market last weekend, and I wasn't impressed. Mitsuwa, HMart, Kam Man, and Phil Am are all preferable to me. The produce was sort of sad-looking. I decided against buying seafood. Also, the store seems to lack focus-- some Filipino, some Indian, some Chinese. If you want to experience a low-brow grocery store in china without leaving jc, this is your place.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I have gotten dry scallops at the A&P. They were incredible -- $19.99 a pound.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 20:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
Did any one notice any haemoglobin clams( cockles) in their sea food counter ? Last week i was able to pick several pounds up at the Korean H-Mart on 1 & 9. Although they were large 1.5~ 2 inch dia they do not taste as good as the smaller variety. They cost $4.99/lb . For those who can appreciate it , they taste like heaven with the spicy sauce.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Honshu serves Santa Barbara scallops...great and sweet. I prefer the west coast scallops to the briny east coast ones.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Komegashi in Montgomery sometimes serve live scallop, on the shell that it lives on - you'll notice the texture and really taste the difference

Posted on: 2014/1/24 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Komegashi in Montgomery sometimes serve live scallop, on the shell that it lives on - you'll notice the texture and really taste the difference

Posted on: 2014/1/24 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Sea scallop prices vary widely for some very good reasons. From Fine Cooking -- "When you?re at the fish counter, you?ll often see sea scallops labeled two ways??dry? and ?wet.? (If they?re not marked, ask.) Whenever you can, choose the dry scallops. ?Wet? scallops have been treated with a solution called STP (sodium tripolyphosphate), which helps the scallops maintain their moisture (they?re made up of about 75% water when fresh). The STP solution gives scallops a longer shelf life; they don?t dry out or lose their plump appearance. As a result, you?ll not only pay for the added water weight (and often get scallops that are less than fresh), but you?ll also have trouble browning these scallops?no matter how hot your pan or oven?because of all that excess moisture. The STP solution can also give scallops a rubbery texture and cloud the mollusk?s sweet, delicate flavor."

Thanks - that explains why I have had scallops a la puddle instead of seared scallops.

Oh, as I have written before, these sort of posts are what make JCList worthwhile, at least for me.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
"sushi grade" tuna is just like a restaurant saying they serve kobe beef....it's a scam

Not true - since 2012 Japanese Kobe Beef (or Wagyu) can be imported, each serving has it's own unique number and certificate of authenticity. The Old Homestead steakhouse in the meat packing district serves it.

"Sushi Grade" means that you can eat it raw and still taste good. This is not true of just any tuna caught then frozen.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, that's good to know, I'll definitely look(or ask for it) next time - was this in the seafood section? - which, btw, had a really good selection

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

This is not Mitsua though, where you can get... Sashimi-grade tuna.

Last time I was there, I saw a package of tuna that said 'sushi grade and was 16.99/lb. Shrug?

Posted on: 2014/1/24 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I have yet to see dry scallops sold in any local store. I can order them online... but they cost a small fortune.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Sea scallop prices vary widely for some very good reasons. From Fine Cooking -- "When you?re at the fish counter, you?ll often see sea scallops labeled two ways??dry? and ?wet.? (If they?re not marked, ask.) Whenever you can, choose the dry scallops. ?Wet? scallops have been treated with a solution called STP (sodium tripolyphosphate), which helps the scallops maintain their moisture (they?re made up of about 75% water when fresh). The STP solution gives scallops a longer shelf life; they don?t dry out or lose their plump appearance. As a result, you?ll not only pay for the added water weight (and often get scallops that are less than fresh), but you?ll also have trouble browning these scallops?no matter how hot your pan or oven?because of all that excess moisture. The STP solution can also give scallops a rubbery texture and cloud the mollusk?s sweet, delicate flavor."

Posted on: 2014/1/24 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I just really have no idea what the quality is, and since I've never actually bought "sushi grade" tuna before, I couldn't tell you what it's supposed to be. I've HAD plenty of sushi, so I guess I could tell by the taste, but that's after the fact.

Back in my late teens, I spent a few years working for a seafood distributor / retailer:

Tuna are warm blooded. To preserve the quality of the meat, you have to prepare the fish before icing it down. The fish needs to be immediately gutted, cut into sections, and then run something like a piano wire down the backbone to kill off the nerves.

If you don't, the fish (even if you bashed its skull in) will start produce chemicals that aid in its ability to keep warm. I can't remember the exactly how it works, but I had a biologist explain it to me once that the chemicals act almost as an anti-freeze of sorts.

The chemical excretions turns the light pink, firm, and tasty meat into a graying mush. We used to have a few sport fishing charters who knew how to handle tuna. Once we got their catches in, the boss would call certain restaurants that specialized in Sushi (this was just becoming popular in my area in the 80's). We would get 2.5x to 3x the price per lbs compared to someone who just hauled a tuna on the boat and iced it down.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 13:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/24 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, think of the shrug as a mixed "I dunno" kind of shrug. Sushi grade has any number of ambiguous terms, and given some of the shady side ish i've heard about the owner, there's a halfway decent chance it means absolutely nothing.

That said, it looked like a decent piece of frozen tuna.

As far as price goes, I was in the Whole Foods up in Paramus today with a friend who was hunting for some particular organic things and I saw some nice looking tuna on ice (not frozen) for $25/lb, so that's a significant price difference.

I just really have no idea what the quality is, and since I've never actually bought "sushi grade" tuna before, I couldn't tell you what it's supposed to be. I've HAD plenty of sushi, so I guess I could tell by the taste, but that's after the fact.

Posted on: 2014/1/24 3:05

Re: "Asian Supermarket" on 440--open? Real name?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Cory, thanks - NJ Transit just got me as far as the light rail station. As far as $16.99 for sushi grade tuna (a previous post) - what does shrug mean - is that the going rate or is it too expensive - I have no idea. Actually, what does sushi grade mean - anyone??

Also, the last time I was there sea scallops were $12.99. In Chinatown the same week they were $9.99 and about $19 at Shoprite and $21 at WF - what's the difference? At Shoprite, in my experience, I need to factor in the cost of 1/2 a pizza because 50% of the time the fish gets thrown out.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When you get off the light rail, you just walk straight down Claremont and right across there. It's 10 some odd minutes. It's not actually a crosswalk, but assuming you know how to cross a street, you're perfectly capable of doing so there.
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Maybe on a nice sunny warm day, I might try the light rail to Asian Foods and Hudson Mall. Google said to cross at Culver Ave. Do you know where else we can cross Route 440?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Goldjason wrote:
To those new to Jersey City, this must be welcoming news . To those who like to shop Asian but must travel to 555 on Rt 1& 9. this is perfect. Nevertheless it may impact the other smaller Asian groceries However due to the increasing asian population in JC, there should be sufficient business to keep everyone happy.
For many years, due to pushbacks, politically or otherwise, there was no asian food market in the area. The last one was called Asian Food International which opened at the site where the current Target Dept store is now located. When Asian Foodmart International started their business the site was abandoned for a while when they acquired tenancy . Although they had signed a long term lease with the landlord and had spent millions of dollars in renovation, they were forced to stop their business because Kmart Holdings went into bankruptcy and their lease became void.
All of us at that time were very surprised because it was the only Asian supermarket in the area and was doing very well.

It seems Kmart was only a sublease and the property owner was someone else. A Korean liquor store owner lost his investment of about 2 million after he opened his store in the complex.

I hope Asian Market best of luck and hope they will succeed and hope the landlord does not push their rent to an impossible level.

Although there is great parking, For many without cars, this may be a problem. Maybe the Jitneys should start a service for those who wish to get there from downtown JC

My understanding, albeit based on word of mouth, was that Lefrak wanted the Asian Market at Newport closed because his development was becoming too Asian. Maybe apocryphal, but still a good story.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
According to Google, it is a shorter walk to Asian Foods. But in Manhattan, I can also go to other stores such as J&R, Century 21, Whole Foods, restaurants, and whatever else is along the way.

Maybe on a nice sunny warm day, I might try the light rail to Asian Foods and Hudson Mall. Google said to cross at Culver Ave. Do you know where else we can cross Route 440?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I don't have a car, but I live near the PATH train. So, it makes more sense for me to just go to Chinatown.

Would the walk from the Light Rail Station to Asian Food be longer than the walk from the WTC to Chinatown?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a car, but I live near the PATH train. So, it makes more sense for me to just go to Chinatown.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 13:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
To those new to Jersey City, this must be welcoming news . To those who like to shop Asian but must travel to 555 on Rt 1& 9. this is perfect. Nevertheless it may impact the other smaller Asian groceries However due to the increasing asian population in JC, there should be sufficient business to keep everyone happy.
For many years, due to pushbacks, politically or otherwise, there was no asian food market in the area. The last one was called Asian Food International which opened at the site where the current Target Dept store is now located. When Asian Foodmart International started their business the site was abandoned for a while when they acquired tenancy . Although they had signed a long term lease with the landlord and had spent millions of dollars in renovation, they were forced to stop their business because Kmart Holdings went into bankruptcy and their lease became void.
All of us at that time were very surprised because it was the only Asian supermarket in the area and was doing very well.

It seems Kmart was only a sublease and the property owner was someone else. A Korean liquor store owner lost his investment of about 2 million after he opened his store in the complex.

I hope Asian Market best of luck and hope they will succeed and hope the landlord does not push their rent to an impossible level.

Although there is great parking, For many without cars, this may be a problem. Maybe the Jitneys should start a service for those who wish to get there from downtown JC

Posted on: 2014/1/23 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

This is not Mitsua though, where you can get... Sashimi-grade tuna.

Last time I was there, I saw a package of tuna that said 'sushi grade and was 16.99/lb. Shrug?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Visited the place today - nice to have an Asian supermarket with this kind of offerings. The cooked food section looks excellent, I saw Sea Bass, and most of the other dishes looked good. I took home a Roast Duck, which was okay although not quite as good as Chinatown (as expected).

This is not Mitsua though, where you can get top quality meat for Sukiyaki or Tonkatsu, or Sashimi-grade tuna.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just a little detour - if you decide to go the whole route, pay a visit to Korin at 57 Warren Street - down the block from WF Tribeca. Beautiful Japanese tableware and knives. I was there this morning, very friendly and helpful. Not a place to bring kids or bulls.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 19:36

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017