Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
In addition, some schools are K-8 so the middle school issue is mooted.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The 4 downtown elementary schools are fine. Individual parents will sometimes have a problem with a teacher or principal but the schools are good.

When you get to junior high and the schools start splitting off the gifted and talented classes is where it may get dicey if you don't get into the G&T program.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 3:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/28 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I am interested in which school this is too, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Quote:

Can you share which school the kids went to? PM me if needed. Thx.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I have another buddy who was renting down in Paulus Hook but he left a few months ago because his 7 year old daughter picked up an Indian accent at school, so yes people leave JC when kids get a certain age. It has almost become the norm. Like the poster said below, the schools can't do everything parents have to be involved.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Like so much in life, the answer is "it depends". On you, and your kid. There's a surprising number of options around other than just going to your local PS#, but it takes engagement, sometimes luck, and having a bright motivated kid really helps.

At the elementary level there's some good charters, some good privates including relatively affordable parochial, and some good local PS's. You can check their NCLB test scores online at the NJDOE site. There are middle school options too, like the test-in magnets MS-4 and Academy 1.

At the HS level there's a surprising number of options. McNair (one of the best HS in the state), the 2 county schools HiTec and Prep, several newish charters like METS and University Academy, and the Catholics schools like St Peters & St Doms, which also have lots of academic scholarships. Several kids from my son's class also went to Hoboken High, which will take JC students if their classes aren't full. I'm sure I left some schools out.

Basically, all of the decent students in my son's LCCS (a charter) class got into somewhere other than their local high school. Make of that what you will.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Not all public schools are bad in the city. A few in the heights actually provide a fairly good education overall. Same in downtown. The biggest problem comes from high school where most of the problems persist in the school system. I spent my entire elementary and high school years in JC, went to #27 which wasn't a bad school but lacked any A/C and sometimes heat but I learned there nonetheless.

High school is a different story. Oh how I wish I could get my high school years back and go somewhere else. Everything you can find wrong with a school I found in Dickinson.Went three years only on Algebra and not because I failed the classes.

The one thing we could look forward to is more and more families are moving to JC. With this increase their will eventually be more demand for changes that improve the whole education system.

Edit: I may have to retract my system apparently. #27 seems to rank at 4. Never thought it was that bad, maybe a 6 at most.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Can you share which school the kids went to? PM me if needed. Thx.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I have another buddy who was renting down in Paulus Hook but he left a few months ago because his 7 year old daughter picked up an Indian accent at school, so yes people leave JC when kids get a certain age. It has almost become the norm. Like the poster said below, the schools can't do everything parents have to be involved.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Trivia wrote:
I am noticing a distinct trend across people I have known in Jersey City over the years. As soon as people have children they move away.

You need to hang out with richer people. I am not aware of any rowhouse in my neighborhood that has not been bought by a young family and converted back into a one family house in the last 10 years. Purchase and renovation is at least 800K. All the kids go to private school. Some Catholic, some laic. Those posh NJ suburbs have become quite a bargain by comparison, at least your taxes get you a good public education.

Their taxes are high because they pay the majority of their own school costs, unlike JC. They also spend a lot less per student. But the affluent tend to be well educated with money to spend for student enrichment and they're motivated parents. To compare, JC spends a bit over 22K per student with NJ taxpayers paying over 75% of the cost. Millburn, generally the highest performing school system in NJ, spends under 18K per student, with NJ taxpayers paying only 11% of the cost. Millburn taxpayers pay 86% of the schools cost, JC taxpayers pay 16%. What's always amazing to me is that even with a near billion dollar ratable in the Short Hills Mall Millburn taxpayers pay the highest real estate taxes in NJ.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I went public school in the heights, and subsequently got my MBA from NYU Langone.

My father was a single parent and was involved.

Monroe's point is pretty spot on.

That said, yes, the JC education system is not great, but it gets the job done.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Trivia wrote:
I am noticing a distinct trend across people I have known in Jersey City over the years. As soon as people have children they move away.

You need to hang out with richer people. I am not aware of any rowhouse in my neighborhood that has not been bought by a young family and converted back into a one family house in the last 10 years. Purchase and renovation is at least 800K. All the kids go to private school. Some Catholic, some laic. Those posh NJ suburbs have become quite a bargain by comparison, at least your taxes get you a good public education.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I do not have kids, and if I wanted them I would probably leave as well. However I have friends who live in the Heights and both of their kids went to public school here and there daughter is now at The Juilliard School and their son is at Georgetown so you can go to school in JC and it can be a success.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Involved parenting is the best approach for improving children's education. It sure isn't a funding issue in JC. Uninvolved or absent parents crushes the chances of kids learning as the should.

This may be true, but I would have to grant there is a great influence from teachers and other staff. My parents were immigrants, they could never help me with my studies and were hands off and I still got A's through school. Then again, they did bribe me with $10 for every A on my report card.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Involved parenting is the best approach for improving children's education. It sure isn't a funding issue in JC. Uninvolved or absent parents crushes the chances of kids learning as the should.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:42

JC Schools
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I happened to be looking into schools around the neighborhood and I am kind of appalled.

http://www.zillow.com/jersey-city-nj/ ... 82®ionId=25320&zoom=13

I am noticing a distinct trend across people I have known in Jersey City over the years. As soon as people have children they move away. I love JC, but it the educational system around here seems to be falling behind. A family friend moved away not long ago and his children did very well in school. As soon as he moved to the suburbs in the summer his children took placement exams for public school in his new town. When the tests came back, it was determined that the kids were about a year behind everyone else in their grade and would have to be left back. He hired tutors right away and the kids spent two months catching up, but I thought- geez that's awful.

What's being done about this?

I'm young, but I would like to have children some time this decade and would hate to move away. I love JC, but I feel like there are not too many choices. I doubt I could ever afford Montessori.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017