Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: What does the future hold for The Heights?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
Gino's Grandma pie is the best!

+1

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Gino's Grandma pie is the best!

Posted on: 2013/12/18 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I love Gino's Pizzeria.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Baron-Bay wrote:
The Heights needs to be "broken up" into smaller neighborhoods. Just as Downtown is a collection of smaller parcels (Van Voorst, Paulus Hook, Hamilton Park, etc etc).

The Heights' character varies considerably throughout, and the new tags could capture this. Landmarks could provide the cues.

How about

Riverview
Pershing (or Reservoir)
Washington Park
Western Slope North
Western Slope South

Perhaps there is a more enticing tag for the Western Slopes?

I feel like some of this you can't force, it will happen naturally - Riverview is already on its way. I know the area because of the events in the park. So if someone says "the Riverview park area" I know what they mean. Notice that in downtown 2 of the neighborhood names revolve around parks (VVP and Hamilton). In many cities around here living next to a park means you're in the good area (used to be true of lincoln park).

Posted on: 2013/12/18 13:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/10 17:47
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights needs to be "broken up" into smaller neighborhoods. Just as Downtown is a collection of smaller parcels (Van Voorst, Paulus Hook, Hamilton Park, etc etc).

Anyone with an interest in the future of The Heights, realtors included, should lobby for this. The value cannot be overstated, I believe.

Smaller enclaves will foster civic pride and generate friendly competition. Realtors will find it easier to pitch houses and values will increase, in certain sections at first, but ultimately overall. There is an exciting sense of arrival and departure when, Downtown, you pass one of those attractive green signs that indicate a new region/neighborhood.

The Heights' character varies considerably throughout, and the new tags could capture this. Landmarks could provide the cues.

How about

Riverview
Pershing (or Reservoir)
Washington Park
Western Slope North
Western Slope South

Perhaps there is a more enticing tag for the Western Slopes?

How about Edgecliff, or something evocative of a mountainside?

The cost to the city would be minimal, just a bunch of signs. Then it is just a matter of time for the tags to enter the language of the city.

Other sprawling regions within the city would do well to be parceled out too.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
when visiting friends in the heights, it might take me 35-60 minutes but i tend to talk (and i'm not the fastest walker) from hoboken up to 9th/congress/palisades.....that also includes getting from my office to hoboken via path or ferry.

i avoid the lightrail since you have to walk over to tracks and prehaps wait....

Posted on: 2013/12/18 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
My only question is, if somebody is priced out of DTJC, why wouldn't they move to a place in the outer boroughs that is cheaper than DTJC but has subway access? Or even JSQ?

I'm a NJ guy, born and raised. Some are afraid to cross to this side of the Hudson, I refuse to go to the other side. That, and if I want to visit family, I'd get hit with tunnel/toll fares that are ever increasing or a MTA + PATH + NJTRANSIT ride smorgasbord..

As far as JSQ is concerned, I have yet to find an area that is attractive. There's no open space -- aside from the empty lots around the PATH -- and there's nothing that attracts me to the area. The Heights has the ice rink (hockey during the summer), the Reservoir, the view from Riverview Park, etc etc ..

Posted on: 2013/12/18 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Question for folks who live in The Heights do you make multiple trips back in forth into NYC using public transportation? I sometimes make three trips in one day...

No, never. When the stars all align, I can get from Franklin and Sherman Avenues to my office by Police Plaza in Manhattan in 50 minutes, I generally allow 1 hour. It takes about the same amount of time to get to Chelsea for brunch on a Sunday between the #87 bus, the PATH, the layovers (although in warmer weather, when the rooftop bar at Boxers in Hell's Kitchen is open, I can sweet-talk my pals into meeting there - the #123 bus on weekends is sweet, 25 minutes tops!).

Maybe I just have really bad transit Karma, comparing myself to some of the other posters LOL!

3 round trips a day?! that would easily kill 4 1/2 to 6 hours for me... Maybe I need to ask you for tips on how to be more zen about getting in and out of NYC (either that, or refer me to whoever prescribes your meds LOL).

Posted on: 2013/12/17 23:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think it's awesome that people have settled into the Heights because it fits their lifestyle perfectly. CapnJon it looks like we are in agreement - my advice to people considering the Heights is buy in the Heights if you love the way the Heights is right now. Not as an investment.

You don't have to LOVE the way the Heights is right now. You can think it's pretty decent right now but still has room for improvement. This strategy is called "Long term investing?"
There are ways to make money in real estate without the quick flip and your home can also be your retirement savings because it's long term. I agree with Christine that do not know the future.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Bunny - ha ha! We love it there. and yeah, if we could find a little cottage with a little pool, walking distance to Duval and the waterfront... we'd be there!

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think it's awesome that people have settled into the Heights because it fits their lifestyle perfectly. CapnJon it looks like we are in agreement - my advice to people considering the Heights is buy in the Heights if you love the way the Heights is right now. Not as an investment. All real estate should go up in the long term, but the Heights should not be looked at as a hyper-growth neighborhood.

I think a lot of people are misled about that. Realtors tell potential buyers that the Heights is "up and coming". It's BS. I would say the Heights is slow and steady. It is NOT going to be a super lucrative long term investment (ie, you're not going to buy a house today for $400k and sell it for $1M in 10 years).

JSQ is a hyper-growth area, and an excellent investment. I do think that parts of the Heights that are very close to JSQ will rise in value fairly quickly over the next 10-15 years, but that is a tiny portion of the Heights.

Not so sure about that. As an investment I think we will get a better ROI on our 2-family house in 10 years, compared to the condo we almost bought at Dixon Mills.

2br condo for $425k at Dixon Mills will most likely not be worth $850k in 10 years.

Our 2 family house that we bought for 300k, might be worth close to 600k in 10 years. (fingers crossed)

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think it's awesome that people have settled into the Heights because it fits their lifestyle perfectly. CapnJon it looks like we are in agreement - my advice to people considering the Heights is buy in the Heights if you love the way the Heights is right now. Not as an investment. All real estate should go up in the long term, but the Heights should not be looked at as a hyper-growth neighborhood.

I think a lot of people are misled about that. Realtors tell potential buyers that the Heights is "up and coming". It's BS. I would say the Heights is slow and steady. It is NOT going to be a super lucrative long term investment (ie, you're not going to buy a house today for $400k and sell it for $1M in 10 years).

JSQ is a hyper-growth area, and an excellent investment. I do think that parts of the Heights that are very close to JSQ will rise in value fairly quickly over the next 10-15 years, but that is a tiny portion of the Heights.

How can you say, "It is NOT going to be..." and finish that sentence with anything?? I absolutely disagree. It is already rising steadily. And, hell, for all we know (and God forbid, really), parts of downtown can be under water permanently. I'm all for opinions, but you are not a guru...and unless you are clairvoyant, please refrain from giving your opinion and passing it off as some authoritative absolute.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's a strange coincidence---my fantasy place to move to is Key West. I'm a sucker for Victorians and my fiancee needs heat and humidity like a spider. If I won lotto I wouldn't sell either. I'll own this house till I die...but a little conch cottage in old town or the meadows with a swimming pool and a Hemingway toed cat...oh yeah!

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Bunny,

That's fine, I hope you do increase your home's value. Having said that, if you real estate trends in The Heights over the past decade, there really isn't that much of an uptick in terms of home value increases...

We bought in the Heights because we love Jersey City as a whole, and the Heights was the right place for us to raise a family.
We don't have any intention of leaving.

ps - full disclosure - if we win $600 million in mega millions, we will still live in The Heights, but we'll probably buy an awesome place in Key West, and a private plane to take us there!

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

"Not that I have anything different to add than what has already been said, but my first thing is "who cares" about gentrification?"

I care about gentrification because I want my home to go up in value. Is that wrong? I don't think so. It's not the only reason I want change here but yeah, the bottom line matters to me.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:

But speaking of change, the change in residency in the Heights, near the elevator, is huge over the past 5 - 7 years... We now see tons and tons and tons of "hoboken types" waiting for the rush hour buses and light rail. Remember when the light rail platform would only have 1 or 2 people waiting on it? And they didn't enforce fares? Yeah, that was fun.

Love it here.

Great post, I think this is the new trend throughout the city, people are discovering neighborhoods around transportation hubs.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Question for folks who live in The Heights do you make multiple trips back in forth into NYC using public transportation? I sometimes make three trips in one day...

Yes. I've done it several times.

One day, I forgot my work laptop at home. Came all the way in, turned around, got it, came back. My co-workers couldn't believe how fast.

Just recently I came to work, left at lunchtime, went to my son's school in JC for a performance, then came back to work. All by Public transportation.

no big deal.

Cool, I just looked up on Google maps from The Heights to my work which I spend a lot of my time, I don't have a 9-5 job and my job consist of hosting lots of events on the L.E.S and then I come back and forth to JC to change and walk the dogs.

I don't think I would have the calmness of taking 2 buses, and two subway trains to get to my destination. I guess if you work in midtown, and don't keep late nights and use NYC as much as I the Heights would work. I think it works for most who live up there. Enjoy!

If I worked on the LES I would probably path from Hoboken to 9th street and switch to west 4th subway one block away and take f train. To get to Hoboken path i would either walk (via 100 steps.. !) or 87 bus. My my guestimate, it would take about 40-50 minutes. The Hoboken Path train is really fast.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Not that I have anything different to add than what has already been said, but my first thing is "who cares" about gentrification? All you're really talking about is pushing out lower income people from their existing neighborhoods.

I love the Heights. It has everything my wife and I need. We both commute to NYC (she to time square, me to chelsea), and we take buses or light rail to PATH train. All are fine (except the often cancelled 119 bus in the rush hour evenings).

I am always at my office faster than co-workers who live in vrious parts of Brooklyn.

We lived downtown for many years, and while I think it's cool down there now with all the cool food spots and whatnot, it's virtually unrecognizable. Do I want the same thing to happen to the Heights? No. Would I like a few more interesting restaurants? Of course.

There is a ton of interesting stuff happening in The Heights without needed huge changes.

Why does Central have a ton of 99 cent stores? Because that's what the majority of the local population wants. A while ago on this board, people were saying they wish Central had a Gap or Anthropology and stuff like that... that stuff is barely successful in Hoboken, so there's no reason the Heights could support it.

But speaking of change, the change in residency in the Heights, near the elevator, is huge over the past 5 - 7 years... We now see tons and tons and tons of "hoboken types" waiting for the rush hour buses and light rail. Remember when the light rail platform would only have 1 or 2 people waiting on it? And they didn't enforce fares? Yeah, that was fun.

Anyhoo - the north east corner of the Heights is awesome. Two great parks, neat people - both new neighbors, and lifers, convenience (to hoboken restaurants, and to transportation)...

Love it here.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Depending on the type of work/hours, many people get car service home in the evening. I can tell you that from midtown (Park Ave in the 40s), the evening commute (after 8:00) is about 10-15 minutes door-to-door. The drivers take the Lincoln tunnel and go up through Hoboken and it's VERY quick. Similarly, from downtown NYC, it's the Holland tunnel and it's quick.

If you are going in and out of Manhattan during the day (not the morning/evening rush) and using the trains, it's pretty painless as well. Many JC Heights residents can walk to Journal Square and many others can walk to the elevator on Congress. Also, the buses along Palisade get you to Hoboken PATH ridiculously fast. Buses/jitneys along Kennedy can get you to midtown Port Authority and Journal Square PATH quickly.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

One day, I forgot my work laptop at home. Came all the way in, turned around, got it, came back. My co-workers couldn't believe how fast.

Just recently I came to work, left at lunchtime, went to my son's school in JC for a performance, then came back to work. All by Public transportation.

no big deal.

Cool, I just looked up on Google maps from The Heights to my work which I spend a lot of my time, I don't have a 9-5 job and my job consist of hosting lots of events on the L.E.S and then I come back and forth to JC to change and walk the dogs.

I don't think I would have the calmness of taking 2 buses, and two subway trains to get to my destination. I guess if you work in midtown, and don't keep late nights and use NYC as much as I the Heights would work. I think it works for most who live up there. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2013/12/17 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

no big deal.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/17 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One does not need a car to live in the Heights! There are many people in the Heights who get to Manhattan in 20-40 minutes by public transporation.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Without a doubt you get so much more for your money in the Heights than downtown.

My only question is, if somebody is priced out of DTJC, why wouldn't they move to a place in the outer boroughs that is cheaper than DTJC but has subway access? Or even JSQ?

I think that the type of people who are true "gentrifiers" and who bring about signs of "gentrification" such as cafes, high quality restaurants, etc (people who are under 40, earn a pretty good living in a white collar profession) are likely to look for things in a neighborhood that the Heights doesn't really have. Specifically, easy 24/7 access to the region's core, aka Manhattan.

Just my 2 cents. I like the Heights, and I think Central Ave is great. For years on this message board I've said that the Hoboken Path line should terminate in the Heights.

Weehawken, Union City, Edgewater, Guttenberg, Fort Lee are all places near Manhattan that do not rely on subways or Path trains and are doing really well economically. The Heights is along the same line (literally, the Palisades cliff)

I hear both of your points - but I think you are each referring to two very different types of, or paths for, "gentrification,", "turn-around", however one chooses to label it.

My "dream" Heights is much more along the lines of what tommyc_37 is describing - more of an immersive urban environment, for which NYC - and access to Manhattan - is the model. And to that extent I sense he and some of the other posters who focus on the lack of 24/7, direct, scheduled rail-based mass-transit to the Heights is a big drawback.

Of course, as kitten says, the Heights is good if you have a car of your focus is commuting to-and-from Manhattan, but that is more of a "suburban" or "peripherally" urban experience, like Fort Lee - the density without that urban sensibility.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I hear that you get a lot more for ur money and quicker commute than living in far parts of brooklyn and queens...and the outer parts of bronx and stanten island - no way, jose!

Yes. It's true.

And, there are people who live in Northern Hoboken who rely on the bus into the city or bus to PATH. So, in the Heights we use bus to the PATH too. It's no big deal.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hear that you get a lot more for ur money and quicker commute than living in far parts of brooklyn and queens...and the outer parts of bronx and stanten island - no way, jose!

Posted on: 2013/12/17 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Without a doubt you get so much more for your money in the Heights than downtown.

I think that the type of people who are true "gentrifiers" and who bring about signs of "gentrification" such as cafes, high quality restaurants, etc (people who are under 40, earn a pretty good living in a white collar profession) are likely to look for things in a neighborhood that the Heights doesn't really have. Specifically, easy 24/7 access to the region's core, aka Manhattan.

Just my 2 cents. I like the Heights, and I think Central Ave is great. For years on this message board I've said that the Hoboken Path line should terminate in the Heights.

Weehawken, Union City, Edgewater, Guttenberg, Fort Lee are all places near Manhattan that do not rely on subways or Path trains and are doing really well economically. The Heights is along the same line (literally, the Palisades cliff)

Posted on: 2013/12/17 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/17 16:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users
Uh, More 99-cent stores?

Posted on: 2013/12/17 15:03

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login