Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NY-NJ transit agencies outline Super Bowl plans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
YES Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Agreed. There is no better motivating factor than shame.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I also secretly hope that there is a Path problem on the Super Bowl. It will take an event of this magnitude to shine a spotlight on the Port Authority's lack of accountability and communication.

You really believe that?

So you believe shame is a better motivator than say, passion. That's sad to me.

In the case of a public transit agency, it might be, although even then that doesn't seem to matter sometimes.

Hate to break it to you but the Port Authority is not motivated by passion or shame. It's a somewhat unique creature, being filled with political appointees from two states, in that they don't really have to answer to anyone but the politicians who got them the job.

And during a hearing on the Port Authority's illegal closure of many GWB lanes to spite the Fort Lee mayor for not endorsing Governor Christie, a senior Port Authority employee essentially said they have a "culture of fear."

So fear is the motivator you guys were looking for. Fear of pissing off the political animals who run the show. Not fear of the pubic, or shame, or passion, or any other reason.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/cuomo-and-christie-bridge-too-far/

Posted on: 2013/12/11 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
See what happened to me on the other thread this past Sunday when there was a very minor ice/rain storm. The whole line from Newark to Journal Square was down. Not hard to imagine a FUBAR situation on Superbowl Sunday. Anyone that relies on the PA is living in a dream world.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 23:32
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

Trains will be added on Port Authority Trans-Hudson service between New York and Hoboken, Jersey City and Newark, and on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Long Island Railroad and Hudson lines.

They can do this on Super Bowl Sunday but they can't do this during the week or on the weekends? Part of me hopes that there will be a signal failure or "police action" so the PA will be called to task.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Insulting.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
YES Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I also secretly hope that there is a Path problem on the Super Bowl. It will take an event of this magnitude to shine a spotlight on the Port Authority's lack of accountability and communication.

You really believe that?

In the case of a public transit agency, it might be, although even then that doesn't seem to matter sometimes.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
YES Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

You really believe that?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
YES Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

You really believe that?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

You really believe that?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

as will buses and shuttles as they won't be allowed to drop off passengers and leave.

It's a bus and shuttle Roach Motel.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:14
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
or take a bus for $51

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA and people wonder why i don't go to more football games. what bullshit.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

Trains will be added on Port Authority Trans-Hudson service between New York and Hoboken, Jersey City and Newark, and on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Long Island Railroad and Hudson lines.

They can do this on Super Bowl Sunday but they can't do this during the week or on the weekends? Part of me hopes that there will be a signal failure or "police action" so the PA will be called to task.

They're adding more trains, compared to the normal Sunday schedule. I doubt you'll see them running more trains than the weekday rush hour.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
And here's how the rest of the world sees it....

There Will Be No Tailgating At The Super Bowl

In a press conference held at a train station, a consortium of semi-important men in suits announced that you'd better not drive to the Super Bowl, or else.

MetLife Stadium has 28,500 parking spots, but only 13,000 will be available on Super Bowl Sunday. So you've got basically two options: Take an NJ Transit train to Secaucus and change for the Meadowlands spur, or take a bus for $51 from one of nine locations around the area.

Taking a taxi or a limo? Forget about it. For security reasons, cars without a parking pass won't be allowed anywhere near the stadium, and if you do have a pass, your car can't leave until the game's over. Walking? Nope.

"You cannot walk to the Super Bowl," Kelly said. "You can get your hotel to drop you off at one of the New Jersey Transit locations or get the shuttle to take you to a Fan Express location, but you can not walk."
Let's say you're one of the lucky 13,000 to land a parking pass, most of which will likely go to the league's corporate partners. You will not be able to tailgate. Or, at least, you will not be able to participate in the many activities commonly accepted to describe tailgating. You will be allowed to shotgun sad beers in your car.

"You will be allowed to have food in your car and have drink in your car," Kelly said. "And provided you're in the boundaries of a single parking space, you'll be able to eat or drink right next to your car. However you're not going to be able to take out a lounge chair, you're not going to be able to take out a grill and you're not going to be able to take up more than one parking space. And it'll all be watched very carefully."
There is almost no tailgating culture to speak of at Super Bowls, so not too many people will be affected. Come to think of it, I don't actually know anyone who ever attended a Super Bowl as a fan. Are these people real? Actors? Did you ever go to a Super Bowl? Did it feel like a football game in the least?

http://deadspin.com/there-will-be-no- ... ook&utm_medium=socialflow

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:32

NY-NJ transit agencies outline Super Bowl plans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
December 9
BY DAVID PORTER
Associated Press

SECAUCUS, N.J. ? The New York area's major transportation agencies announced separate plans for moving crowds of football fans for February's Super Bowl, and their presentations Monday carried a common theme: Don't drive.

"I think it's the smartest thing ? people don't know where they're going and it's a dense area," said Al Kelly, head of the Super Bowl host committee. "If you want to party, it's a safe way to get around, a reliable way to get around. I think people should put the getting around in the hands of the professionals."

Those professionals gathered at the Secaucus Junction rail station to outline their plans. Absent was a plan to offer an all-purpose pass that could be used on all transit systems in New York and New Jersey. That had been discussed in the early stages after the game was awarded to MetLife Stadium in 2010, but was ultimately deemed too complicated, Kelly said Monday.

Organizers are billing the first outdoor, cold-weather Super Bowl as the first mass-transit Super Bowl, and their fervent hope is that fans will use public transportation to get to the game as well as to the official and non-official activities leading up to it.

Those hopes are rooted in pragmatism. With hundreds of thousands of commuters moving into and out of New York on an average day, the influx of an estimated 400,000 people for the Super Bowl ? most of whom won't have tickets to the Feb. 2 game ? could throw the region's roads into chaos.

In addition, MetLife Stadium's approximately 28,000 parking spaces for a New York Giants or New York Jets game will be pared to 12,000 to 13,000 due to security and television requirements. Ticketholders will be required to buy a parking pass to park at the stadium, as will buses and shuttles as they won't be allowed to drop off passengers and leave. There will be about 1,600 spaces set aside for buses, Kelly said.

The host committee will offer buses for ticketholders on game day for $51 from five locations in New York City and three in New Jersey. New Jersey Transit is selling a $50 commemorative "Super Pass" good for travel on its rail, light rail and bus lines from Jan. 27 to Feb. 3, and has expanded its platform at Secaucus to accommodate longer trains to MetLife Stadium.

In addition, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will dedicate additional lanes at its Hudson River tunnels to traffic heading to New Jersey before the game and to New York after the game, and Amtrak will suspend regular repair work on tunnels going into New York's Penn Station and will add a stop at the Secaucus station for some of its trains on Super Bowl Sunday.

Much of the game-day burden figures to fall on NJ Transit, which is expected to carry as many as three times as many passengers from Secaucus on Super Bowl Sunday than it did for Sunday's Jets-Oakland game, according to executive director James Weinstein.

Weinstein said Monday the agency has conducted drills at a recent Giants and Jets game and has made adjustments.

"It can be as simple as people walking all the way to the end of the platform and the doors opening up and everybody getting on, instead of lingering," he said. "In order to get 1,300 to 1,500 people on the train efficiently, that's what has to happen. We believe it's probably going to be less of a challenge getting people who are unfamiliar with our system to do that."

Kansas City

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017