Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Recommend the indoor heater please
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I believe ventless fireplaces are illegal. All good wishes to CDeCoincy, but they've had some problems. I'd highly recommend having several carbon monoxide detectors (which is a good idea for everyone, anyway).

I had one in a rental until recently, and no state inspector ever said a word about it.

I'll say it again, the OP's home HAS heat, it just needs to be tuned properly, even if that means a new intake duct needs to be run downstairs. There are some forced air systems set up so you shift the intake seasonally from the highest point in summer to the lowest in winter.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody know if regular (vented) gas fireplaces are legal in JC? Mostly just curious, I would like to have one someday.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I believe ventless fireplaces are illegal. All good wishes to CDeCoincy, but they've had some problems. I'd highly recommend having several carbon monoxide detectors (which is a good idea for everyone, anyway).

Posted on: 2013/12/10 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
CDeCoincy, is it currently illegal to have a gas fireplace in JC?

I don't know - mine was installed at least 10 years ago and it was Ventless, which I suppose makes it more of a risk. I had it installed by a plumber. I believe I bought it in Home Depot on 440.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/ventless+gas+fireplace?NCNI-5

Mine was very much like the above. As you can see, it can be shipped to NJ, however you'd need to know if JC has banned them. I should add, that as I recall, it cost almost as much to install as to purchase.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
CDeCoincy, is it currently illegal to have a gas fireplace in JC?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
anyone have any input on one of those faux fireplace looking heaters? We have a finish first floor rec room that gets chilly (only one zone on the heating and its right next to the kitchen which of course stays pretty warm in the evening when I am cooking)

we got a little delonghi ceramic blower tower and its not bad but I would prefer something a bit more permanent/stylish

the room is about 600 sq ft which seems to be problematic as most say 400 sq ft max

Have you considered a ventless gas fireplace? I had one installed and loved it. I did have a gas line that was pretty accessible. At the time (10 years ago, about) they were legal in JC except in bedrooms. This kept my front and back parlor comfy and provided a nice addition to the room's look.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am assuming you want electric and not Propane and kerosene heaters. Here in my office at work is always chilly and I use a Honeywell with a thermostat so it turns off once it reaches 65 degrees and turns it self back on when the temp gets lower than that.

You can program it to reach up to 80 degrees which is crazy hot.

IMO that seems to be the safest since it turns it self off.

Kerosene is illegal in Hudson County they can be a fire hazard. I doubt you will find them for sale.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 12:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
If it's forced air, can't you partially close the upstairs vents to force more of the warm air to the downstairs?

Yup. I'm sure there's ways to get the heat where the OP needs it without the expense of running an electric radiator. I wonder if the intake is upstairs too, so the coldest air, downstairs, is never circulated through the heater. And it sounds like the thermostat needs to be relocated to a more representative part of the room. There's some basic rules about it that are routinely ignored even by pros, like don't put it on an outside wall or over the radiator.

Sometimes a landlord DOES need harassing, but sometimes they just need feedback as to what's going on. They don't live there and don't know unless you tell them. A longtime tenant just told me a room has been cold, it turns out the automatic air bleed valve on the radiator was not working. Easy fix, but he had to tell me.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
If it's forced air, can't you partially close the upstairs vents to force more of the warm air to the downstairs?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 2:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
If you're renting.. reliable heater would be one of those "Radiator Heaters" you can find them even at CH Martin.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 0:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Sorry to hijack.

I am having heating issues on my first floor, as a renter. My second floor is very warm, however the first floor feels as if it definitely needs a space heater. There is close to a 10 degree discrepancy between floors especially in the morning.

Do I have rights as a renter when it comes to this? (I assume this is what you were getting at.)

Can you harass your landlord? Sure! That's what we live for. I had a tenant stand there in a 70 deg room after calling me at 10pm complaining it's cold. When I pointed out that it was January and she was only wearing a tank top and shorts, she replied "that's bullshit".

What kind of heat do you have, a boiler for the whole building or do you have your own the thermostat? There's lots of causes of such imbalances, such as tenants blocking the convection of radiators or a bad vent valve.

Central Air/Furnace. The unit is on our second floor and our thermostat is on the first floor. We try to keep the thermostat around 70F. Our thermometer reads about 75 upstairs and downstairs in our living area we get around 65 on a coldish day (although the area where our thermostat is is reading 70). We drop the thermostat down to 68 at night or else it is sweltering upstairs. But that leaves us with a freezing living area come the morning.

Is that harassment?

Posted on: 2013/12/10 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
anyone have any input on one of those faux fireplace looking heaters? We have a finish first floor rec room that gets chilly (only one zone on the heating and its right next to the kitchen which of course stays pretty warm in the evening when I am cooking)

we got a little delonghi ceramic blower tower and its not bad but I would prefer something a bit more permanent/stylish

the room is about 600 sq ft which seems to be problematic as most say 400 sq ft max

Posted on: 2013/12/10 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Sorry to hijack.

I am having heating issues on my first floor, as a renter. My second floor is very warm, however the first floor feels as if it definitely needs a space heater. There is close to a 10 degree discrepancy between floors especially in the morning.

Do I have rights as a renter when it comes to this? (I assume this is what you were getting at.)

Can you harass your landlord? Sure! That's what we live for. I had a tenant stand there in a 70 deg room after calling me at 10pm complaining it's cold. When I pointed out that it was January and she was only wearing a tank top and shorts, she replied "that's bullshit".

What kind of heat do you have, a boiler for the whole building or do you have your own the thermostat? There's lots of causes of such imbalances, such as tenants blocking the convection of radiators or a bad vent valve.

Won't someone think of our poor landlords?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
HA!!!! I keep my heat @ 74 until its time for bed, I hate a cold house.

That's fine as long as you pay for your own heat.

I do, I own. Are there still apts in JC that offer free heat? besides public housing?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

That's fine as long as you pay for your own heat.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Sorry to hijack.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Sorry to hijack.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
Hi,

What would be the best, safest indoor heater?
Which one is an economically good choice in a long run?
Your opinion needed.. We want to get a but warmer but also keep the building safe.

Thank you!

safe=electrical
economical=propane

If you do go with propane, I'd recommend only running it when you're at home and awake. Not sure if they're legal to run indoors in JC.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tool ... NTIr8uVpLsCFe5j7AodyFUAtA

or

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307957_200307957

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Are you a renter or an owner? Do you have a cold room, or an inadequate heating system? What is the existing heat?

Sorry to hijack.

As a renter, yes you have rights. See:

JC local heat ordinance

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Dyson heater is combined with a fan that distributes the heat so the whole room is heated, not just the space near the heater. You can run the fan alone in the summer. It works as advertised. It's very expensive. I got a large discount at Costco.

I have a home office that is 5 degrees colder than the rest of the apartment. Rather than raising the thermostat for the whole apartment, I hoped it would be more economical to heat the office and keep the rest of the apartment at a lower temp.

Apparently, the cost of the electricity for the heater made up for any gas savings and my bills were not any lower.

Fortunately, Cosco has a very liberal return policy.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:03
I live by the river.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Vornado fan/space heaters were very good for us when renting with those terrible wall units. They did a much better job and were quieter and cheaper.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Are you a renter or an owner? Do you have a cold room, or an inadequate heating system? What is the existing heat?

Sorry to hijack.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
this type works really well. Got mine from CH Martin on the avenue.

http://www.amazon.com/Homebasix-CYPB- ... 001GDIXVI/ref=pd_sim_hg_5

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am assuming you want electric and not Propane and kerosene heaters. Here in my office at work is always chilly and I use a Honeywell with a thermostat so it turns off once it reaches 65 degrees and turns it self back on when the temp gets lower than that.

You can program it to reach up to 80 degrees which is crazy hot.

IMO that seems to be the safest since it turns it self off.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:58

Recommend the indoor heater please
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

What would be the best, safest indoor heater?
Which one is an economically good choice in a long run?
Your opinion needed.. We want to get a but warmer but also keep the building safe.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017