Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 'House Hunters' couple to visit three Jersey City homes
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anyway, the open house was well attended, and when I mention this episode of House Hunter, someone (someone who may be living there) mentioned, "We saw the show, but we never see the couple."

I live in DM and have seen the couple. And creepily enough, I can see their window when I am waiting for the elevator and looking down into the courtyard.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
There is no gag order from the condo association, but I must say the idea has provided me with a much needed chuckle.

I've lived there since December 2013, and I think what's been most surprising to me is how quiet it is and how little I see other people. Walking through the halls, I rarely hear any evidence of people (voices, tvs, etc). So that may be what the person meant. I didn't see the episode, so I wouldn't have any idea whether or not I've interacted with them.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I went to one of the open houses this weekend at Dixon Mills where this couple on House Hunters ended up buying.

It wasn't the first time to see the inside of Dixon Mills in general, but it was the first time to see this particular building within the complex. Our prior experience was underwhelming (it was another building, facing Grand), but we thought that the two units on the top floor we saw were very nice (and this building seemed to be well maintained). If we weren't living on Van Vorst Park, which we absolutely love, we might have seriously considered it.

DM doesn't have a park, but it does have court yards, and they may be a close substitute (not quite for us, but for most people).

Anyway, the open house was well attended, and when I mention this episode of House Hunter, someone (someone who may be living there) mentioned, "We saw the show, but we never see the couple."

Maybe there is a kind of gag order from the condo or from the tv production, and they may be keeping their heads down? I don't know, but I would love to hear from the couple about their experience on the show.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if either of the JC House Hunters episodes are available to stream or download? I looked around and was unable to find anything, but maybe I missed something.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I have this episode sitting in my DVR waiting to be watched. When I get some time, I do plan on watching it.

Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
My wife and I LOVE "House Hunters."

This is what we understand how the show works:

Participants have to already have closed the contract on the house (That's why almost always the house that has no furniture in it is the one that they choose at the end). Sometimes the producer of the show finds the other two houses and other times, the participants themselves are asked to find the other two houses, and they pretend that they are still looking for a house. Most of the stories that the participants tell on camera is true, but not always in order to make the show more interesting. Also realtors are not always who they claim to be (in some cases, they are just a friend of the participants).

Fake? Sure, I would call it "scripted reality." But it's still interesting to see different houses of different prices in different places (domestic or international). And it is particularly interesting to see people who are looking for something similar in my own price range.

I do hate it though when they say, "It's too small!" These people in the suburb/country have NO IDEA what small is!!

What's entertaining is after house hunters make some negative comments about the house, the camera zooms into the realtor's face. That's the funny part of the show.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode!

My sister and her husband were on the show once. That isn?t how it works.

The show producers approach real estate agents in the area. The agent then suggests the clients and talks about how far along the process they are with the production company. The couple or person has to be close to closing to be considered. The show then approaches the couple or person and asks if they?d like to do the show for a small fee.

All of the houses that the couple visits are houses that they legitimately considered. The only stipulation is that the current owner of the home allows the filming. The producers then ask the people to say something about the homes as they walk through them. They are not told what to say or how to say it. After walking through the house and filming everything, the producer will do the interviews of the people directly into the camera. For my sister?s show, they had a shot where her husband is in the yard and he says, ?I really don?t think she knows how much work goes into maintaining a pool.? The statement was derived from a question.

My sister said that she felt bad going back through the houses and critiquing them. As she noted, these houses were not the ones she ended up with. As such, she was much harsher in talking about the state of the home her and her husband ended up buying.

After closing, there is a wrap up film session. My family and her in-laws were all invited down for a get together. They did some interviewing of my mom and dad along with my brother-in-law?s parents. Then we all gathered around as we toasted to their new purchase.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 14:10
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Outside of Manhattan (above 14 St) a "block" is not a standard unit. JSQ to Canco is 0.5 mi (10 min walk according to google maps). Grove to Dixon Mills is 0.4 mi (7 min walk according to google maps). The number of streets crossed along the way doesn't stretch the geography.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
[quote]

huh? Dixon Mills is 5 blocks from grove, Canco is 9 or 10 from JSQ (in not that great of a neighborhood).

Googlemap, before you yap. Toonces is correct.

I did, but thanks for playing
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/12/10 5:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
[quote]

huh? Dixon Mills is 5 blocks from grove, Canco is 9 or 10 from JSQ (in not that great of a neighborhood).

I did, but thanks for playing
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/12/10 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Canco was not affected by Irene or Sandy, no flooding.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
It's the psychological distance of an extra stop and walking through a less than gentrified neighborhood.

Quote:

Toonces wrote:
They constantly complained about the walk from Canco to the PATH (half a mile), but bought at Dixon Mills - a .4 mile walk to Grove St. The show seemed to make a big deal about how much closer they were to the train - but never mentioned it's a tenth of a mile difference.

Nor did they mention that both condo complexes have shuttles to and from the PATH (Canco runs every 15 minutes, Dixon every 20), so if we're talking about a "normal" work commute, they'd never be walking, anyway.

And the PATH ride from Grove to JSQ is so short it's inconsequential. Their daily commute would be ~5 minutes longer if they chose Canco over Dixon - not FORTY FIVE...

Oh, and the Trump building is ALSO half a mile from Grove St (or .4 miles from Exchange Place) - yet they didn't mention the distance. Whoops.

That agent was a total moron.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
In response to Atsushi's question about friends visiting JC from NYC. It depends...I have never had a friend who was a native New Yorker have an issue with coming to JC for a visit. It is the "transplants" who think that living in NYC makes them "too cool." Not all transplants feel this way, but many do. You are either cool or you're not. I guess that means that I choose "cool" friends to begin with. People with superiority issues (which are actually insecurity issues in my opinion) can stay in NYC. I've got news for them...true NYC natives find THEM uncool and irritating!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
They constantly complained about the walk from Canco to the PATH (half a mile), but bought at Dixon Mills - a .4 mile walk to Grove St. The show seemed to make a big deal about how much closer they were to the train - but never mentioned it's a tenth of a mile difference.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/9 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
If you have a friend who won't visit you because of a place that you live, no matter where it is, then I seriously would not consider that person a friend. Add to that the fact that JC borders Manhattan and can be reached in a matter of minutes, and I'd say you have some pretty sh*tty friends!

So these friends of yours don't leave Manhattan, for any social reason?

I developed my belief/opinion (If you live in JC, your cool friends in NYC will NEVER come to visit you) through having talked with my neighbors in JC.

Since then, I had rarely encountered the opinions that challenge it. Obviously this is one of those rare moments. So I have to concede that some people in NYC do come to visit their friends in JC. (Perhaps I should say, "If you live in JC, your cool friends in NYC would rarely come to visit you.")

I don't work in NYC (I work in NJ), and I don't have any family members or relatives in NYC (they are not in this country). So the only connection that I have with people in NYC is when I play music (I play Irish music with fiddle and attend musicians' get-together, called "session" at Irish pubs).

Almost all musicians who attend these sessions live in NYC, and I've never even tried to see if anyone would come to JC to play music with me (obviously because of what I believe).

I don't exactly call them my friends because we only play music at sessions and do nothing else. And based on what they ask me, like "So are you still living in JC? (as in "Are you still stuck in JC poor Atsushi?"), I'm just not interested in engaging with them. Why bother? is my attitude.

I believe I'm a pretty enjoyable musician to play with, so maybe if I ask them if they want to come to JC, some of them may. Or not...

Maybe I shouldn't have accepted what my neighbors had expressed to me so easily, but my wife who works in NYC and has tons of friends and is 1,000 times as sociable and out-going as I am had expressed me the same thing. So I'm not sure if I should reverse my opinion.

Honestly, I would love to hear from more people:

Do your friends in NYC really come to visit you?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users

Nor did they mention that both condo complexes have shuttles to and from the PATH (Canco runs every 15 minutes, Dixon every 20), so if we're talking about a "normal" work commute, they'd never be walking, anyway.

And the PATH ride from Grove to JSQ is so short it's inconsequential. Their daily commute would be ~5 minutes longer if they chose Canco over Dixon - not FORTY FIVE...

Oh, and the Trump building is ALSO half a mile from Grove St (or .4 miles from Exchange Place) - yet they didn't mention the distance. Whoops.

That agent was a total moron.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Agree. Most friends who come across the river are shockingly surprised how easy it is.

I've lived in manhattan for 10 years before moving over and have never regretted it. I love it here.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
If you have a friend who won't visit you because of a place that you live, no matter where it is, then I seriously would not consider that person a friend. Add to that the fact that JC borders Manhattan and can be reached in a matter of minutes, and I'd say you have some pretty sh*tty friends!

+1 I never understood that, if you wont visit me because I live in JC then fuk u 2!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

+1 I never understood that, if you wont visit me because I live in JC then fuk u 2!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

So these friends of yours don't leave Manhattan, for any social reason?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
That real estate agent is AWFUL, lol.

Really? Specifically what is wrong with her?

It's a him. The guy Allesandro with the long hair and glasses, in the video posted a few posts back.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
It was funny to hear at the end that their friends in Manhattan are not coming to visit them, which I have repeated many times here (If you live in JC, your cool friends in NYC will NEVER come to visit you).

What type of friends do you have? I have visitors almost every weekend from NYC, BK, Bx, SI and even Queens. The only set of friends that have not visited me as of yet are my buddies on Long Island but other than that my friends have no problem stopping by for a visit.

It's great that you have friends in NYC who come to visit you. Honestly I envy you. Obviously, I don't have that kind of friends.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Really? Specifically what is wrong with her?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

It was funny to hear at the end that their friends in Manhattan are not coming to visit them, which I have repeated many times here (If you live in JC, your cool friends in NYC will NEVER come to visit you).

What type of friends do you have? I have visitors almost every weekend from NYC, BK, Bx, SI and even Queens. The only set of friends that have not visited me as of yet are my buddies on Long Island but other than that my friends have no problem stopping by for a visit.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/9 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I enjoyed this episode. Nice to see JC in my favorite show. I tended to agree more with the older guy, and I didn't understand the younger guy's logic or preference. But I think that their disagreement made the episode interesting.

At the beginning of every segment, they showed NYC, rather than the JC streets, and I believe that their intent was to emphasize JC being part of NYC metro area.

I think they could have emphasized a little more about JC's proximity to lower Manhattan, but at least they showed ferry and Grove Street PATH station entrance.

Anyway, I would like to extend my welcome to JC for this couple. If you are reading this, PLEASE write about your experience about the show here.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
"You know, this building has off street parking...which is parking on the street" rofl. Really? It's like saying "This building has a huge park, it's called Central Park and it's just a short walk from the building.."

Posted on: 2013/12/9 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the guy said something like ?one stop further into Jersey and a 12 minute walk to Canco.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:
I just watched this but we should be clear it is the older episode. This video is not showing the episode why this thread was created.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/8 7:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the whole idea of living in JC was that one doesn't NEED to raise a kid in a one bedroom (or a 800 sq ft 2 BD). In JC, one could raise their kids in a spacious 2 or even 3 BD at a reasonable price!!!

Posted on: 2013/12/7 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
That couple was insufferable.

And after looking at Dixon Mills and Trump, they went "45 minutes farther into Jersey City" to look at Canco? 45 min from downtown to JSQ? Walking time, maybe.
My thoughts exactly about that "45 minutes" thing.

The one guy was hilarious, thinking they'd raise a kid in a one bedroom. Yeah right. Well, welcome to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The previous episode about Jersey City is online.

Look for Manhattan on a Budget.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv40/videos/index.html

Posted on: 2013/12/7 15:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact