Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Kappa League President scores big on SATs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Oh, for Pete's sake, can we just wish this kid well in his life?

Yes, we could. And, I don't think anyone in here is doing the opposite. But, honestly, what's the point of celebrating sub-par performance? Why can't today's kids be told that they lost, that they fell short, or that their best is still not that great? The mentality that kids need to be coddled to the point where even sub-par performances are celebrated is, in my opinion, a huge reason why we are starting to lag in so many respects. Tell kids the truth: you lost the game? Train harder and play better next time. You test scores weren't high enough? Study harder next time.

Is it any surprise that young adults entering the workplace are baffled when they find out they don't measure up? Their entire life (even through college!) they are constantly told they are great, and have never actually lost at anything. Please. That ain't real life.

PS: +1 to what Brewster said. Perhaps we should be encouraging teens to carefully weigh their future and not just to follow their "dreams".

Posted on: 2013/11/1 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, for Pete's sake, can we just wish this kid well in his life?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

trambone wrote:
What do SATS really show except the ability to take a test. You want to go to school for art? No one care about the test. Music? same. Want to be a pro athlete? Probably the same.

How are his regular grades?! This isn't Save by the Bell where you can flunk everything get a 1500 and join Screech at college.

Not coincidentally, the odds of an 18 year old with ambitions in art, music or sports actually making a paying career in doing so is, for practical purposes, zero. They are fields that more resemble a lottery than an industry, and encouraging kids into them who don't have a trust fund is very nearly a crime.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
What do SATS really show except the ability to take a test. You want to go to school for art? No one care about the test. Music? same. Want to be a pro athlete? Probably the same.

How are his regular grades?! This isn't Save by the Bell where you can flunk everything get a 1500 and join Screech at college.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
sheeeeeeeeeeit, i went to dickinson and got a 1300 out of 1600 back in the day (1950 scaled up). where was my newspaper article?

I think if you visually resembled the student in this article, you'd have your article.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 5:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Every time I get on this website I am reminded of this South Park episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuwXczWQC0

Posted on: 2013/11/1 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Please note the average score in Jersey City is 1280 for those who take the test. So therefore I think it is newsworthy and so did the reporter. Also 70% of Jersey City students are not even SAT ready.

I saw this ferris high schooler pull up his pants the other day. Where is the news article about him? I mean, all his other friends don't know how to wear pants and he clearly learned how to properly wear pants...why is there no "positive reinforcement" or praise?

Only in JC would this "achievement" be praised. If this was a town like Tenafly, he would be ridiculed.

BTW, the top 1% of the bottom 50% is still in the bottom 50%.....

This is so shameful, I'm writing to the editor

Posted on: 2013/11/1 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
sheeeeeeeeeeit, i went to dickinson and got a 1300 out of 1600 back in the day (1950 scaled up). where was my newspaper article?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Jeezus people, give the kid a break. Ever hear of positive reinforcement?

Good ole' "Just Complain List"
Out after curfew - complain
Playing basketball - complain
Crossing against the light - complain
Pat on the back for a decent score on SAT - complain

Sure, it's a puff piece with an overreaching title but who cares?

Posted on: 2013/10/31 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please note the average score in Jersey City is 1280 for those who take the test. So therefore I think it is newsworthy and so did the reporter. Also 70% of Jersey City students are not even SAT ready.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, a 1760 is not even remotely noteworthy. It's actually deeply embarassing for the school if that's the highest score they managed this year, as it's only somewhat above the national average. To be impressive, an SAT score has to be at least over 2000, though even 2000 isn't that impressive. There are high schools in NJ where the *average* SAT score is over 2000. (Granted, those are magnet schools--BCA in Bergen County, where the average was 2120 in 2012, and HTH and BTH in Monmouth County, where the averages were 2110 and 2040.)

Posted on: 2013/10/31 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I'm confused. 1760 out of 2400 is not an impressive score. Is there an error in the article?

Well according to the Princeton review, it all depends on the colleges you are considering. A 23 on the ACT or a 1800 on the SAT may be above average at one university but below average at another. The higher your score, the more options are open to you.

The Higher, the Better
The national average for the new SAT is 1500. For the ACT, it's between 20 and 21. If you are close to these averages you will likely be accepted into a considerable number of colleges and universities (as long as you have decent grades), but may not be considered at more selective schools. I personally think this is great for a student at a regular H.S. in JC.

Scoring 10% above the national average does not normally bring accolades, even in JC.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I'm confused. 1760 out of 2400 is not an impressive score. Is there an error in the article?

Well according to the Princeton review, it all depends on the colleges you are considering. A 23 on the ACT or a 1800 on the SAT may be above average at one university but below average at another. The higher your score, the more options are open to you.

The Higher, the Better
The national average for the new SAT is 1500. For the ACT, it's between 20 and 21. If you are close to these averages you will likely be accepted into a considerable number of colleges and universities (as long as you have decent grades), but may not be considered at more selective schools. I personally think this is great for a student at a regular H.S. in JC.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/10/31 19:08

JC Kappa League President scores big on SATs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Barbara Milton, Ph.D., LCSW

The principal of Liberty High School, Belinda Stokes referred Tyler Bowman to OP&J because he is a 17 year old senior who scored 1760 on his SAT?s and he is the student President of the Kappa League in Jersey City.

Tyler considers himself just an ordinary kind of guy. ?It?s an amazing thing and I guess I feel kind of overwhelmed to be featured in the newspaper,? said Tyler.

Marguerite Scott recognized that her son was bright very early on and she relied on the parenting she received as a model for continuing to bring out her son?s innate gifts . ?I am proud of myself too,? said mom, ?I had really great parents and I raised him the old fashion way. I have high expectations, so I don?t expect anything less. He does a lot of things very well and he tests very well.?

When asked about his SAT scores, Tyler said, My mom enrolled me in the Sylvan Program during my freshman school year and summer, then during my sophomore and junior years, Principal, Odom arranged for the Princeton Review at several colleges. I took a lot of practice tests. I was so used to seeing the basic questions and I used the techniques I learned. That is basically it,? said Tyler.

Tyler is beginning to get a steady flow of interest letters from Colleges and Universities. His career goals are in the area of computer technology. ?I want to be a computer engineer and do networking, programming and security,? said Tyler, who currently interns as a Project Manager on a tech-based team for a financial institution in downtown JC. His mom and school support his vocational career and so too does his mentors in the Kappa League.

The Kappa League, is a program of the JC Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and works to develop ?the next generation of influential and transformational leaders for Jersey City, America and the world.? Tyler said, ?Mr. Odom introduced me to Mr. Viney, and they teach meal about leadership. I learned how to be involved, how to ask questions, how to make connections, how the adult world works, about success and perseverance and about how if you put your mind to anything you can do anything.?

?Staying off the street is the most difficult thing about being a teen today. I avoided the streets. My mom is the start of everything in my life. I felt loved, she gave me that. My friends are competitive and we compete back and forth and we strive for success together. For teens who have given up then I say just keep fighting. Do not give up. If you are at your deepest darkest hour, look inside and see what you believe it, find that thing you do well, something you like, and turn it into something that will makes you a success. Remember that failure isn?t an option and success is only a minute away.?

Posted on: 2013/10/31 17:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017