Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Accidents at 2nd & Jersey in Downtown
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
This morning, not only was a car parked in the red zone (this is standard on First bet Erie and Grove, too) on the SE corner of Jersey but two SUVs were double parked in the *actual traffic lane*, one behind the other just south of Second, so that to cross Jersey or turn either way, I had to literally drive almost to the center line to see around the double parked vehicles. This was Saturday morning around 8:30 AM. It was infuriating. Neither vehicle had a driver in it although they both had their hazards blinking, or I would have stopped and given them both a piece of my mind. That is easily one of the worst intersections in the area. A stop sign there would help, as the same problem exists at First and Jersey which is also a nightmare to pass through.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Any pattern to these accidents? I would think the most likely is people speeding south to make the light. Truly it would probably be more effective to put a stop at 3rd or 4th to break up the "speedway" from the light at 6th, rather than a stop sign 1/2 block from the light.
It's partially that, but it's also that the intersection has no visibility at all. If you're on 2nd St trying to cross Jersey, you have to be halfway through the street before you can see both ways, so a lot of people crossing Jersey try to speed through and beat the traffic.

It's an ugly intersection, I wrote to Fulop about it a couple years ago and he said he'd ask for a traffic study, but I'm not sure anything came out of it. That intersection is a disaster area.

Posted on: 2013/10/19 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Any ideas on how to remind drivers to look both ways for pedestrians?

Can look both ways for pedestrians signs be attached to stop signs?

Did no one in this town take the written portion of their driver's test?

What about the ROAD TEST? The sheer lack of that is an issue too.

Posted on: 2013/10/19 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Any ideas on how to remind drivers to look both ways for pedestrians?

Did no one in this town take the written portion of their driver's test?

Posted on: 2013/10/19 7:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Any pattern to these accidents? I would think the most likely is people speeding south to make the light. Truly it would probably be more effective to put a stop at 3rd or 4th to break up the "speedway" from the light at 6th, rather than a stop sign 1/2 block from the light.
It's partially that, but it's also that the intersection has no visibility at all. If you're on 2nd St trying to cross Jersey, you have to be halfway through the street before you can see both ways, so a lot of people crossing Jersey try to speed through and beat the traffic.

It's an ugly intersection, I wrote to Fulop about it a couple years ago and he said he'd ask for a traffic study, but I'm not sure anything came out of it. That intersection is a disaster area.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Any pattern to these accidents?

2nd and Jersey is likely down to drivers travelling west on 2nd and looking the wrong way on Jersey. Basically, they don't expect the 2-way Jersey Ave. After looking right on Manilla, looking left on Erie, they simply look right on Jersey and pull out.

Simple 2-way traffic signage would reduce accidents at this spot.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
If the police are not a visual presence, people will keep breaking laws. The easiest way to solve all these problems are marked vehicles and uniforms out on the streets.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

equ wrote:
The driving culture here is horrible... I was motorcycling down Grand and right by St. Peter's Prep, on the brick crosswalk, between the white lines were three students, they seemed to want to cross but I couldn't be sure so I stopped - near the center line. An suv blew between me and the kids (who were not paying much attention and ended up not crossing). Whether they crossed or not, they're hanging out on the crosswalk and this a**hole misses me, a stopped motorcyclist and the peds by inches as he gets by. And he passes on the right.

I did honk, bright, catch up and tell him that was easily a 7-pt summons, failure to yield + reckless. He just pretended to ignore. What was I supposed to do? Let out mad road rage on a luxo suv while on my bike? This is probably a bad time for that.

I'm not saying I'm a great driver, but some very bad apples do completely ruin driving around this city. I can understand not wanting to waste time, but you can be reasonably quick while staying courteous and safe. Ugh. Might as well live in a 3rd world country. How can you even slow down for peds let alone stop when you are about to be rammed hard yourself (especially on a bike)?

Those Grand Cross Streets @ Van Vorst and Warren can be dangerous as hell for pedestrians... I have reported to Police and mentioned it to Director Shea recently. The drivers just don't care when people are in those clearly marked intersections.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 3:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
The driving culture here is horrible... I was motorcycling down Grand and right by St. Peter's Prep, on the brick crosswalk, between the white lines were three students, they seemed to want to cross but I couldn't be sure so I stopped - near the center line. An suv blew between me and the kids (who were not paying much attention and ended up not crossing). Whether they crossed or not, they're hanging out on the crosswalk and this a**hole misses me, a stopped motorcyclist and the peds by inches as he gets by. And he passes on the right.

I did honk, bright, catch up and tell him that was easily a 7-pt summons, failure to yield + reckless. He just pretended to ignore. What was I supposed to do? Let out mad road rage on a luxo suv while on my bike? This is probably a bad time for that.

I'm not saying I'm a great driver, but some very bad apples do completely ruin driving around this city. I can understand not wanting to waste time, but you can be reasonably quick while staying courteous and safe. Ugh. Might as well live in a 3rd world country. How can you even slow down for peds let alone stop when you are about to be rammed hard yourself (especially on a bike)?

Posted on: 2013/10/18 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/10/17 23:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Welcome to Jersey City. Where there are cars and traffic there will be accidents.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Any ideas on how to remind drivers to look both ways for pedestrians? Cars on 1st and Erie often just look south for oncoming traffic, but not north for crossing walkers. At 2nd and Jersey cars often roll thru the stop once the south bound lane seems clear in order to see if there is traffic from the north.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 10:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/1 9:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for this info.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MuffyZack wrote:
Thanks...I searched and didn't find any other threads...hope a solution can be found...it's so dangerous even to cross that street on foot!

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... ds=erie+street+stop+signs

It was discussed a lot in the above Erie Street thread but it's a bit older. As you can see if you peruse it, things haven't changed much. I believe that Candace Osborne, our Councilperson is working on these issues. The process to get a Stop sign can be a bit tedious and slow.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 2:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks...I searched and didn't find any other threads...hope a solution can be found...it's so dangerous even to cross that street on foot!

Posted on: 2013/10/16 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
There are other threads about this because of all the accidents but, yes, a dangerous intersection amongst many others. More than likely there were cars parked too close to the intersections blocking the drivers view and there was probably some speeding involved. And yes it needs to be a 2-way stop.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 2:28

Accidents at 2nd & Jersey in Downtown
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I am a resident who lives on 2nd right off of Jersey Avenue. In the past 4 weeks there have been at least 4 car crashes at this intersection, and there have been numerous others in the past 7 years I have lived here. Tonight yet another, so I ask, what about a STOP sign or what other solution????

Posted on: 2013/10/16 1:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017