Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: 400 Unit Development in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I say build and then build some more.

This is Jersey CITY not Parsippany or Bridgewater or something. You want that, fine, that is the beauty of NJ, MOVE THERE.

Cities are not bedroom communities. This isn't the place with white picket fences and wide open spaces. This is an URBAN area right across from the most populous city in the country.

I love all these comments about the PATH. JC doesn't control the PATH. So I guess until the PATH behaves reasonably we should stop all development? And you think this is the place Whole Foods or Trader Joes or anyone will come?

Also the park comments are equally ridiculous. Are the parks too crowded? Does any town or city owe anyone a park? If the myriad of parks are not enough, for what you could spend in Van Vorst or Hamilton, by all means by a house on half an acre or more elsewhere.

There, live the dream of the NJ BANANA (build almost nothing at all near anybody). MOM line in Central Jersey? Hell no! Cell phone tower so people can call 911? Hello no! Affordable housing to comply with state law? NO, more lawsuits so our taxes can be higher! My 2013 McMansion will not have its view spoiled by your 2015 McMansion! Rally with me, neighbors from Staten Island and Brooklyn! Bring your attitudes, your self-righteousness! Our parks are stressed, damn it!

In reality, I used to live across the street from there. That area could use a convenience store and a pharmacy that actually open regularly...this project, and a crossing as proposed...are in fact an absolute boon for that neighborhood. That's the facts. Now make a pedestrian crossway at the tunnel and then we are talking.

Well why don't you move into midtown Manhattan? If you like tall buildings and crowds then that would be perfect for you.

If you don't like tall buildings and growth, then why don't you move out of JC?

Don't worry. Where I live there will be no high-rises.

Then stop telling people where to live if they don't like high rises. They are a part of the city whether you like it (or live near them) or not.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
You don't think there is a difference between Midtown and this proposal?

You do realize all the commercial aspects there?

A 20 story office building generates a lot more traffic than a 20 story condo.

Notice the name of where we live. Jersey CITY. Not Colts Neck. Not Pine Barrens. CITY.

If you live where no towers will ever be, enjoy the inland parts of BL and Greenville. There will eventually be towers on both waterfronts for their entire length, in JSQ around the PATH, and on the cliffs of the Heights.

And that is fine...this is a CITY it should have tall buildings and should feel urban.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 17:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
the Hamilton Park Association's monthly meeting is the first Wednesday of each month, the same date as this meeting about the development in the Hamilton Park area.

Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi all -

I posted this on my last newsletter, but wanted to post it here as well.

This proposed project has two components:

1) changes to the redevelopment plan
2) a plan for a proposed building

As a part of a pilot to get more community feedback in items that come before city council, I am hosting a community meeting on this project on Wednesday night at 6 p.m. at City Hall in Council Chambers. I will be asking the community for feedback after the meeting.

Best,
Candice

This meeting is at 6.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the Hamilton Park Association's monthly meeting is the first Wednesday of each month, the same date as this meeting about the development in the Hamilton Park area.

Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi all -

As a part of a pilot to get more community feedback in items that come before city council, I am hosting a community meeting on this project on Wednesday night at 6 p.m. at City Hall in Council Chambers. I will be asking the community for feedback after the meeting.

Best,
Candice

Posted on: 2013/12/2 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

This is Jersey CITY not Parsippany or Bridgewater or something. You want that, fine, that is the beauty of NJ, MOVE THERE.

Cities are not bedroom communities. This isn't the place with white picket fences and wide open spaces. This is an URBAN area right across from the most populous city in the country.

I love all these comments about the PATH. JC doesn't control the PATH. So I guess until the PATH behaves reasonably we should stop all development? And you think this is the place Whole Foods or Trader Joes or anyone will come?

Also the park comments are equally ridiculous. Are the parks too crowded? Does any town or city owe anyone a park? If the myriad of parks are not enough, for what you could spend in Van Vorst or Hamilton, by all means by a house on half an acre or more elsewhere.

There, live the dream of the NJ BANANA (build almost nothing at all near anybody). MOM line in Central Jersey? Hell no! Cell phone tower so people can call 911? Hello no! Affordable housing to comply with state law? NO, more lawsuits so our taxes can be higher! My 2013 McMansion will not have its view spoiled by your 2015 McMansion! Rally with me, neighbors from Staten Island and Brooklyn! Bring your attitudes, your self-righteousness! Our parks are stressed, damn it!

In reality, I used to live across the street from there. That area could use a convenience store and a pharmacy that actually open regularly...this project, and a crossing as proposed...are in fact an absolute boon for that neighborhood. That's the facts. Now make a pedestrian crossway at the tunnel and then we are talking.

Well why don't you move into midtown Manhattan? If you like tall buildings and crowds then that would be perfect for you.

Don't worry. Where I live there will be no high-rises.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

when you named yourself Ruin Hamilton Park, you weren't joking around.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/2 15:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all -

Best,
Candice

Posted on: 2013/12/2 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This ghetto mindset of build on every open space you find has made some parts of NJ the ugliest in the country. In burbs they are obsessed with building malls, strip malls with chain stores and so on. Here they are obsessed with building ugly towers that block sunlight for others. This is surely becoming another Manhattan, but without the infrastructure.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 11:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/11 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
There are images and the current redevelopment plan posted in a google group "rezoning hamilton park". Apparently the land is currently zoned for 66 units an acre and the developer is working behind the scenes with the planning department to get 400 units.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/11 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
BUILD AND BUILD SOME MORE.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/11 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/10 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think JC could create a lot more recreational space under the highways overpasses. NY did it under the West Side Highway.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 11:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I think these huge developments should have green spaces on their rooftops. The space is wasted and the rich developers have enough money to build such a thing. Even Newport mall parking lot can have a park on top of it.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I have watched Hamilton Park become completely overrun. Might be time to level the ball fields in Enos Jones Park and build something the entire community can use. The least the city could do is unlock the ball fields so EVERYONE can use them.

Watch your back, the baseball mafia might put out a hit on you. They control the parks down here, and don't mess with them! When Enos Jones was going to be renovated the neighborhood asked for it to be a multi-use field. Nope. Even local school coaches are frustrated that they hold those fields year round for what is supposedly a spring sport.

I thought I posted earlier in the thread about parks, and the lack of planning for them, but it's gone. Anyway, it's a scandal that the city plans no parks in the redevelopment zones like up on Jersey, and only gets tiny 4 acre parks for huge 10,000 unit developments like Newport and LHN.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Actually, when I moved in to my house 15 years ago there was no net increase in the number of people living here.
It is the people who have moved into the new construction who have increased the population. And it is the poor planning of the new construction and the necessary infrastructure that is the issue here.

+1. What most people don't even realize is that in most places downtown the sewage doesn't go anywhere. The city has to send out vacuum trucks every few days to suck up all the sh*t. We live over a giant Porto-John. I have watched the PATH trains go from reasonably crowded commute to sardine cans. There are times when the trains simply can't fit anymore passengers. With only one track in and one track out it ain't gonna get any better soon. I have watched Hamilton Park become completely overrun. Might be time to level the ball fields in Enos Jones Park and build something the entire community can use. The least the city could do is unlock the ball fields so EVERYONE can use them.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I think the developers should be allowed to put up 200 square foot units if they are safe. Let the market determine how much space a person needs

Posted on: 2013/10/7 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree no more tax abatements downtown. I'm watching Fulop closely on this...we'll see if he's another Healy or Healy-lite.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
[quote]
Yes. Those of us who moved here 15 years ago didn't buy new construction. We replaced outgoing residents. We didn't contribute to the surge in population, congestion, FILTH, crime, etc. Yes, there are wonderful new shops, restaurants, cultural options that didn't exist and I appreciate those, but the fact remains that the people who came here initially and paved the way for all the other more recent growth didn't want density. We wanted what JC had at that time which was convenience without the assault on our personal space that living here has become. One of the attractions of living here was the fact that you didn't have to kill someone to get on or off a train, listen to horns honking on the streets, get knocked over on the effing sidewalk when a bike came charging at you, etcetera. Living here was pleasant and quiet, and it isn't any longer. Yes, the changes have come with associated benefits too, but the lifestyle that a lot of people moved here for is gone.

Who be "we"? I've lived here since 1982 with some time off for good behavior. With the exception of more people on the PATH, I don't identify with what you see as the drawbacks of increased population or the decrease in quality of life. All aspects of everyday life have improved for me - food shopping, concern for personal safety, dining out, etc. Harsimus Cove is quieter and cleaner than it has ever been - but could still be improved. There is virtually no broken glass or dirty diapers on the street. Car alarms go off infrequently. That almost every row house in my neighborhood is being bought by young couples turning multi-unit buildings back into one family houses tells me things must be going in the right direction. I have seen baby bumps that are now in college - which gives me a wonderful sense of community and continuity - their parents never moved. This is not Scardsale-sur-Mer - people applying suburban standards of quiet, cleanliness and ease of parking will be disappointed, I understand that. As long as I can walk up and down these effing row house stairs, I will remain here. When I can't I'll buy a condo in the 'hood with an elevator.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 13:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
I don't give a damn about Mayor Fulop's smoke and mirror tax abatement policy. No more downtown tax abatements. Period. It should be up front. This project will not get a tax abatement.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
hello. i do pay ny State taxes. also, Hudosn River Park is run by a non-profit or some public corp. Perhaps if the City/State invested money in LSP to make it worthwhile then maybe I would visit more than once every 5 years...maybe even NYers would visit

Posted on: 2013/10/7 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
LSP is just not useable for most of us. I usually take the PATH across the river for parks which israther sad given all the development. JCC nneeds long term, strateggic thinking/developmment

Yet you don't pay taxes there and use their resources. Maybe if you treked over to LSP once in a while it would make it worth your while and justify it's exsistance.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 11:50
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Like I said...It's not me it's always the other guy.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 11:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yes, some of us moved here becauise we wanted to escape the big city and commute to the City in via horse and buggy

Posted on: 2013/10/7 11:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
If the problem is more people wanting to live in your city, it is a good problem to have. The alternative, people moving out in droves, is what you really don?t want. In the middle, there is a valuable interplay between developers, residents, the municipality.

I say valuable because it is during this process that residents have the opportunity to join a discussion about what is to become of their neighborhood. And developers are learning that there are tangible benefits to enlisting the community in the process. Much to gain for all sides, if handled properly.

I've lived here for a long time but I don't pretend to speak for new residents or old residents or anybody else. If it's getting too busy here for some, they will move - and others will move in to take their places.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 5:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Actually, when I moved in to my house 15 years ago there was no net increase in the number of people living here.
It is the people who have moved into the new construction who have increased the population. And it is the poor planning of the new construction and the necessary infrastructure that is the issue here.

Yes. Those of us who moved here 15 years ago didn't buy new construction. We replaced outgoing residents. We didn't contribute to the surge in population, congestion, FILTH, crime, etc. Yes, there are wonderful new shops, restaurants, cultural options that didn't exist and I appreciate those, but the fact remains that the people who came here initially and paved the way for all the other more recent growth didn't want density. We wanted what JC had at that time which was convenience without the assault on our personal space that living here has become. One of the attractions of living here was the fact that you didn't have to kill someone to get on or off a train, listen to horns honking on the streets, get knocked over on the effing sidewalk when a bike came charging at you, etcetera. Living here was pleasant and quiet, and it isn't any longer. Yes, the changes have come with associated benefits too, but the lifestyle that a lot of people moved here for is gone.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/7 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I get a chuckle when people say things like "I've been living here for 20 years and now this place is too crowded" as if they didn't contribute to the crowdedness when they moved in. It's always the other guy that's the problem.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
LSP is just not useable for most of us. I usually take the PATH across the river for parks which israther sad given all the development. JCC nneeds long term, strateggic thinking/developmment

Posted on: 2013/10/6 14:09

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017