Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
25 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 24

JCGuys, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Internet Connectivity only - what are my options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone confirm that if I order Internet Only from comcast via their website, I don't have to pay their installation fee (so there's no one-time charge)?

Appreciate it!

Posted on: 2014/7/5 22:11

Re: tax and fee savings Internet Connectivity only - what are my options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you! I will have to go through my bill carefully this month!

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Do you have any links that i can refer to on this? I have just internet and am most certainly being charged tax. I'd like to have a citation so I can fight it (if appropriate).

Quote:

jackp wrote:
If you buy data only (naked fios) no sales tax or other fees will be added which is a big savings. once you add voice or tv, the whole thing becomes taxable which adds a significant amount with the Federal Universal Service Fund (takes from urban area and redistributes to rural areas) and amounts to 15% or more, and of course sales tax.

Congress passed a law that exempts the internet from taxes for now.

Many folks rely on their cell phone only, or buy voip service from a third party like vonage if you really need a land line. Adding traditional phone to your internet via fios can increase your costs by almost $15 per month in taxes and junk fees, so be careful of thos bundles!

Because Congress recognized that unnecessary and duplicative taxation could slow the growth of the Internet, it passed the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA) in 1998 to prohibit states from imposing new taxes on Internet access. Just to be clear, the ITFA does not exempt online sales from taxation.

Congress is considering separate legislation that rightly would give states the ability to require sellers of goods on the Internet to collect and remit sales taxes if they simplify their tax codes and implement common rules and definitions. The ITFA prohibits taxes on Internet service fees, whether the Internet Service Provider (ISP) is supplying dial-up, cable, digital subscriber line (DSL), fiber, satellite, or wireless Internet. It also ensures that taxes cannot be imposed on incidental services such as e-mail or instant messaging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tax_Freedom_Act

Posted on: 2014/3/5 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/14 20:00
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Do you have any links that i can refer to on this? I have just internet and am most certainly being charged tax. I'd like to have a citation so I can fight it (if appropriate).

Quote:

jackp wrote:
If you buy data only (naked fios) no sales tax or other fees will be added which is a big savings. once you add voice or tv, the whole thing becomes taxable which adds a significant amount with the Federal Universal Service Fund (takes from urban area and redistributes to rural areas) and amounts to 15% or more, and of course sales tax.

Many folks rely on their cell phone only, or buy voip service from a third party like vonage if you really need a land line. Adding traditional phone to your internet via fios can increase your costs by almost $15 per month in taxes and junk fees, so be careful of thos bundles!

Because Congress recognized that unnecessary and duplicative taxation could slow the growth of the Internet, it passed the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA) in 1998 to prohibit states from imposing new taxes on Internet access. Just to be clear, the ITFA does not exempt online sales from taxation.

Congress is considering separate legislation that rightly would give states the ability to require sellers of goods on the Internet to collect and remit sales taxes if they simplify their tax codes and implement common rules and definitions. The ITFA prohibits taxes on Internet service fees, whether the Internet Service Provider (ISP) is supplying dial-up, cable, digital subscriber line (DSL), fiber, satellite, or wireless Internet. It also ensures that taxes cannot be imposed on incidental services such as e-mail or instant messaging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tax_Freedom_Act

Posted on: 2014/3/5 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 12:43
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

jackp wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/5 20:30

Re: Internet service providers
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
One thing to keep in mind is that Comcast and a couple of other cable providers teamed up to provide access to literally 1000s of hotspots in NY and NJ. It is actually a pretty nice feature, which helps with minimizing how much bandwidth you end up using on your cell phone plan.

Quote:

mikerush wrote:
Im downtown, an currently Fios is your best bet for high speed internet. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/8 9:33
Group:
Registered Users
I need a wireless modem with built in router for comcast if anyone has one they want to sell. PM me.
Thx

Posted on: 2014/2/4 22:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Im downtown, an currently Fios is your best bet for high speed internet. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 11:09
Group:
Registered Users
I had problems with verizion fios yesterday and was on the phone for 90 minutes and i had to hang up. Good thing it was toll free. But later that afternoon, i called the same number and only waited 2 minutes.

Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Are comcast and Verizon the only options in JC ?

Comcast's JC office has had a busy signal for 2 straight days now

Posted on: 2014/2/4 19:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I think you need to call 1-800-COMCAST. I don't think there's a Jersey City specific office number to call.

Quote:

thor800 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/4 19:38

Internet service providers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/19 19:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/4 19:36

tax and fee savings Internet Connectivity only - what are my options?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/21 19:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I finally got a chance to call Comcast - and the person over the phone offered the exact deals as listed on their website (here http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html, a different from the page provided by SOS below), but WITHOUT contract. I mentioned that I'm willing to go on contract if they can offer a sweeter deal. But the answer was that they have no such deals right now.

I really hate the games that these companies play (e.g. FIOS not even bother to "pretend" to offer me a deal to make me stay with them).

The link I provided was for Verizon -
http://verizonspecials.com/verizon-fios-internet#prices

I'd call again. Maybe better luck with a different rep.
I wouldn't talk with an account rep. I actually paid more going directly with a rep because they didn't waive the installation fee like they do online. It makes sense that the cheapest deals are directly sold online--no human beings to pay.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 13:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You're lucky you've got a few options. We only have the choice of FIOS and it took quite a bit to talk them down to the plan that we have of just Internet and phone (price was the same without phone).

I need a lot of bandwidth for work, so we have 75/35 connection for about $94 out-the-door. Don't forget all the taxes and fees and be sure to ask about them. We're not on a contract as all that did was lock the rate in for the length of the contract and levy a heavy termination fee in case we discontinue service.

There's a lot of bandwidth available around here, which is great. You can easily do most things on a connection of less than 10mb, so don't shy away from some of the cheaper plans with slower speeds if you don't watch a lot of videos. But if you are trying to supplant cable viewing with Internet, don't look at anything less than 50mb. You'll spend a lot of time waiting for something to buffer. But if you can wait, you can save that way too.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/10 4:35
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

I finally got a chance to call Comcast - and the person over the phone offered the exact deals as listed on their website (here http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html, a different from the page provided by SOS below), but WITHOUT contract. I mentioned that I'm willing to go on contract if they can offer a sweeter deal. But the answer was that they have no such deals right now.

I really hate the games that these companies play (e.g. FIOS not even bother to "pretend" to offer me a deal to make me stay with them).

The link I provided was for Verizon -

I'd call again. Maybe better luck with a different rep.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/20 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/21 11:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Also, I've heard that people have clearwire (correct name?) here as well? Any feedback on service / rate?

Any other advice on how to go around doing this would be much appreciated too!

TIA.

I use Karma as a backup internet service, which I believe uses the same network as Clearwire. In JC it's on the Sprint/Wimax network - ~8mb download speed, though NYC is on the faster LTE service.

The service is pretty solid, but it's not ideal for HDTV, Skype or other high-bandwidth or low latency uses. Karma is pay-as-you go $14/Gb (no expiration), Clearwire I think starts around $35/month for 3Gb. With heavy use, you'll burn through 3Gb in under a week.

I'd advise against using Clearwire or similar as your main internet service, unless for portable back-up or casual use. The service is no better than paying for a tethering plan on your smartphone: for example T-mobile charges $5/month for tethering and $30/month for unlimited data/text and 100 mins call time.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 12:31
Group:
Registered Users
Guess who Michael Powell works for? He is the HEAD of the national cable & Telecommunications Association. SHows his true colors!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National ... ommunications_Association

Posted on: 2013/9/17 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/7 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
I had to go over 5 megs download speed for Netflix HD. The base FIOS allows me to watch 1080 bluray quality movies via Vudu.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/10 4:35
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Call again and mention these prices:

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
We are seriously considering cutting the cable cord, and I'm wondering how others are getting their internet connectivty?

Currently we have FIOS triple play. I just called this morning, and Verizon's best offer for internet are $79.99 (for 50M downstream / 25M up) or $89.99 (for 75M down / 35M up). SERIOUSLY???

I live in downtown and previously had Comcast. I'm going to give them a call and see what their monthly rate is for internet.

Also, I've heard that people have clearwire (correct name?) here as well? Any feedback on service / rate?

TIA.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/28 6:53
Group:
Registered Users
It might be a street by street thing but I'm pretty sure that by signing up for a FiOS package online you get a monthly discount. Without a contract I'm paying $50 a month for 50 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. It should be $85 but they apply a $35 discount each month and promoted the cost as $50.

If it's just you using the internet then 15-20 Mbps is enough. If there are more people then 50 Mbps will suite you well. My gf and I are cable free and stream everything. We have about 10 devices connected and never run into a problem with 50 Mbps.

Hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I want to stream movies and TV shows (e.g. amazon prime, hulu, etc), what is the minimum downstream speed to make the movies watchable? 20MB? 50MB?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 2:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Verizon will sell you DSL Internet only over a copper wire, for a low price of about $30/month with correspondingly slow speed of around 120kbps, also faster options for more $.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/14 20:00
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just do not use Mdu Communications, the worst. I mean 1990's speed. Horrible.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I have Comcast Xfinity. I pay about $65.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/18 19:20
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I've got Comcast Xfinity for seriously 20/month. Just internet, no cable. We bought our own modem, but had to pay the installation fee.

This was a promotional deal we got through the mail, but maybe if you call you can them and see what their options are. Definitely better than the Verizon prices, which we had before. And aside from sometimes randomly dropping at 2am, service is actually pretty good.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
As of a year ago you can still get naked FiOS for $65 per month, but you have to call and ask; it's not explicitly offered on their website. A two year contract with a somewhat reasonable (~$80) early termination fee was required.

Quote:

jackp wrote:
I have fios only for 65 a month. I believe vz stopped offering naked fios though

I had clear wire. It's crap. Don't go there

You can thank Michael Powell chair of the bush FCC for establishing a duopoly of cable and phone company. The other competitors were crushed by these old line monopolies. Fwiw

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have fios only for 65 a month. I believe vz stopped offering naked fios though

I had clear wire. It's crap. Don't go there

You can thank Michael Powell chair of the bush FCC for establishing a duopoly of cable and phone company. The other competitors were crushed by these old line monopolies. Fwiw

Posted on: 2013/9/16 18:51

Internet Connectivity only - what are my options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We are seriously considering cutting the cable cord, and I'm wondering how others are getting their internet connectivty?

Currently we have FIOS triple play. I just called this morning, and Verizon's best offer for internet are $79.99 (for 50M downstream / 25M up) or $89.99 (for 75M down / 35M up). SERIOUSLY???

I live in downtown and previously had Comcast. I'm going to give them a call and see what their monthly rate is for internet.

TIA.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:19

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017