Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
22 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 22

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Internet Connectivity only - what are my options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 23:26
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
My guess is you have enough knowledge on your own to research this to obtain results equal to or better than what I can give you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm getting to the age when I immerse myself in something and learn what I need to know, then find I've forgotten it all when it comes up again! I set up a googlesites website for my business some years back, now I can't remember anything about how that worked with slideshow widgets and such. Getting old sucks.

Posted on: 3/6 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 18:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
With routers, there are a lot more choices, and you really should have a conversation with your favorite geekfriend and let them help you pick one, and let them come by and set it up for you if you are techphobic. Again, that can easily pay for itself in less than a year.

I personally do the same with my set top box aka DVR. I have owned a TiVo for 20 years now. The only hardware I use, outside of the wiring, from Comcast is a CableCard. But that does require a semi tech savvy person to deal with .

I have a TP-Link Archer 7 router for wifi and an old WRT54GL running Tomato for the wired network, but I think I need to set them up better, sometimes the Archer plugged into the Linksys gets funky. Is there really any difference at all between the Docsis 3 modems or should I just get the cheapest?

I used to be a total DIY-DVR nerd building boxes with Hauppauge cards before cable went 100% encrypted. I decided Netflix & downloads were enough. I still have a encoder dongle for OTA, but haven't used it in ages.

My guess is you have enough knowledge on your own to research this to obtain results equal to or better than what I can give you.

Posted on: 3/6 13:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/29 16:21
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
See the wirecutter article: https://www.amazon.com/ospublishing/st ... 1a07c849e8&qid=1551867779

Netgear and Motorola are generally good brands.

Posted on: 3/6 10:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
With routers, there are a lot more choices, and you really should have a conversation with your favorite geekfriend and let them help you pick one, and let them come by and set it up for you if you are techphobic. Again, that can easily pay for itself in less than a year.

I personally do the same with my set top box aka DVR. I have owned a TiVo for 20 years now. The only hardware I use, outside of the wiring, from Comcast is a CableCard. But that does require a semi tech savvy person to deal with .

I have a TP-Link Archer 7 router for wifi and an old WRT54GL running Tomato for the wired network, but I think I need to set them up better, sometimes the Archer plugged into the Linksys gets funky. Is there really any difference at all between the Docsis 3 modems or should I just get the cheapest?

I used to be a total DIY-DVR nerd building boxes with Hauppauge cards before cable went 100% encrypted. I decided Netflix & downloads were enough. I still have a encoder dongle for OTA, but haven't used it in ages.

Posted on: 3/6 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 18:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Here we go again, FIOS jumped my price from $40 to $55, so I'm going to be a new Xfinity customer again for $35. But I left them last time in part because they would no longer service my Docsis 2.0 modem, so I need a new one. Anybody have wisdom on this? I know some of you are pros. How much should I spend? I have wifi routers, so I don't really need more of that.

Buying your own modem and router is a very smart move.

Modems are fairly easy, google "comcast approved modems" and pick one that makes satisfies your needs. It will most likely pay for itself in less than a year.

Posted on: 3/5 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 18:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Here we go again, FIOS jumped my price from $40 to $55, so I'm going to be a new Xfinity customer again for $35. But I left them last time in part because they would no longer service my Docsis 2.0 modem, so I need a new one. Anybody have wisdom on this? I know some of you are pros. How much should I spend? I have wifi routers, so I don't really need more of that.
i'm hoping that internet connectivity rates fall mucho when t-mobile brings out 5g.

Posted on: 3/5 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 3/5 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I have decided to "move in" again into my apartment and got comcast (as my husband is "moving out" at the same time)

My package is the Comcast Internet Pro Plus Duo Play - $61.xx total (including taxes and fees!!!) - my own modem, plus I got the non-HD set top box (the HD set top box will set you back $10 per month). 75MB internet, plus 45 crappy channels, plus HBO for a year (SHO could be added on for $5 a month).

I have google voice through OBI, that's free and just rides off my internet connection.

I also subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. With all these, I don't feel like I'm missing much TV.

I tried talking to verizon to see if they could lower their price - but their response was something like "we're more expensive because we're just so good". oh well...

Quote:

anonymess wrote:
After seeing some of the comments here, it seems like I am significantly overpaying for Verizon FIOS. I have Internet, TV and phone.

First let me ask... I would be very happy with getting TV thru an antenna. Problem is, although I live right by the river, my apartment faces west and the building obstructs the signal, at least with the antennae I tried. Is there a particular kind of antenna that would work under such circumstances? It has to be an indoor antenna. If so I assume I could find a way to get non-local and premium channels through other means. Or possibly do without. I can live without the phone.

I'm paying about $175/mo. to Verizon. I have and want SHO and HBO and I had no choice but to get an expensive TV package. [I have TiVo and use a cable card instead of a Verizon box.] Internet is 50mb, the maximum possible for where I live.

Does this seem ridiculously high?

Posted on: 2016/7/23 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/11 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I have one of those flat antennas which I have stuck onto a window but my window faces north. have you tried antenna + Sling? $175 / mo seems outrageous.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
After seeing some of the comments here, it seems like I am significantly overpaying for Verizon FIOS. I have Internet, TV and phone.

First let me ask... I would be very happy with getting TV thru an antenna. Problem is, although I live right by the river, my apartment faces west and the building obstructs the signal, at least with the antennae I tried. Is there a particular kind of antenna that would work under such circumstances? It has to be an indoor antenna. If so I assume I could find a way to get non-local and premium channels through other means. Or possibly do without. I can live without the phone.

I'm paying about $175/mo. to Verizon. I have and want SHO and HBO and I had no choice but to get an expensive TV package. [I have TiVo and use a cable card instead of a Verizon box.] Internet is 50mb, the maximum possible for where I live.

Does this seem ridiculously high?

Posted on: 2016/7/22 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/9 10:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
And thanks for all the replies / suggestions so far. I'll try calling both Comcast and Verizon back and see how much wiggle room they can give

I guess this thread has resulted in Verizon ads showing up when I'm browsing JCLIST. Here's is a link to a really good promotion ($69.99/month for triple play package, with a two-year contract) that showed up as a side banner just now.

http://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/Onlin ... NewLookSk8JulyPromoa_0156

Posted on: 2016/7/20 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And thanks for all the replies / suggestions so far. I'll try calling both Comcast and Verizon back and see how much wiggle room they can give

Posted on: 2016/7/19 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Does that work? I know when you go to their sites they have every address and unit in their database.

I'd go FIOS anyway, the service is symmetrical. Unless comcast includes a DVR, that's value. I hate them both with a passion. I doubt there's any real reason basic broadband isn't half that, except that they can charge whatever they want and spend millions on ads but never, ever really compete on price.

I never changed my last name to my husband's, so it's actually helpful in this case. Last time we did this, we had Comcast cut the old service and start the new service on the same day - I just made up a story like "I'm taking over his lease at this rental apartment".

Posted on: 2016/7/19 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I would inquire about lower Internet speeds to get a better rate. The "basic" 25/25 should be more than enough, even for a household streaming from three or four devices. It wasn't long ago that companies were running on those speeds for the entire staff. Heck, I still have clients running speeds akin to that with staffs approaching 400 people.

Even when streaming HD quality music AND video on two different devices, and the myriad other things at home that are connected to the Internet, I still manage to register available bandwidth of close to 15 Mbps on a line rated for 25 Mbps. Don't believe the hype/fear that you *need* 50, or 75, or even higher. You will be paying for bandwidth you will never use.

Absolutely true. Verizon kept trying to upsell me that $60/mo at 50 mbps was a "better" deal than $40/mo for 25. Well it's not a better deal if you are paying for something you don't need. That was quite a battle. I have never had a problem at 25 - granted I'm not gaming or streaming on multiple devices simultaneously, but i really think that unless you have several teenagers at home, a gamer, or something like that, it's a non-issue.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/9 10:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Hey neighbors!!! It's time for my yearly pilgrimage of looking up best Internet (and TV) packages as my yearly contract is up with my current provide, comcast, who refuses to extend my current pricing.

I've looked at both Comcast and Verizon and found the following "deals", but I want to see what others have gotten lately (and if I've missed a great deal!):

Verizon FIOS:
- Internet only: 50/50MB with a 2 yr contract, $50 first year, and $60 second year
- every 25MB step up in speed is another $10 extra per month
- Minimal taxes since this does not include TV / cable;

Comcast:
- 75MB internet + (roughly) 45 TV channels for $55 per month, 12 month "agreement"
- total with taxes and fees would be just under $62: even though there will be a set top box, the rep says there's no rental fee (probably an older model?).

We do mostly video streaming, up to 3 devices at a time. Don't need TV package, but if it's cheaper, wouldn't mind.

Right now, I'm thinking going with Comcast (signing up with a different name in the household).

Would love to hear what others are getting.

I would inquire about lower Internet speeds to get a better rate. The "basic" 25/25 should be more than enough, even for a household streaming from three or four devices. It wasn't long ago that companies were running on those speeds for the entire staff. Heck, I still have clients running speeds akin to that with staffs approaching 400 people.

Even when streaming HD quality music AND video on two different devices, and the myriad other things at home that are connected to the Internet, I still manage to register available bandwidth of close to 15 Mbps on a line rated for 25 Mbps. Don't believe the hype/fear that you *need* 50, or 75, or even higher. You will be paying for bandwidth you will never use.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
right now my verizon fios at 25/25 is $40/mo for the first year and $55/mo for the 2nd year.

Don't obsess over their advertised rates too much, they have a wide margin of flexibility when you have them on the phone, and if they act otherwise call back and talk to someone else. It'll take a while to get what you want, so don't expect a 20 minute phone call.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Right now, I'm thinking going with Comcast (signing up with a different name in the household).

Does that work? I know when you go to their sites they have every address and unit in their database.

I'd go FIOS anyway, the service is symmetrical. Unless comcast includes a DVR, that's value. I hate them both with a passion. I doubt there's any real reason basic broadband isn't half that, except that they can charge whatever they want and spend millions on ads but never, ever really compete on price.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey neighbors!!! It's time for my yearly pilgrimage of looking up best Internet (and TV) packages as my yearly contract is up with my current provide, comcast, who refuses to extend my current pricing.

I've looked at both Comcast and Verizon and found the following "deals", but I want to see what others have gotten lately (and if I've missed a great deal!):

Verizon FIOS:
- Internet only: 50/50MB with a 2 yr contract, $50 first year, and $60 second year
- every 25MB step up in speed is another $10 extra per month
- Minimal taxes since this does not include TV / cable;

Comcast:
- 75MB internet + (roughly) 45 TV channels for $55 per month, 12 month "agreement"
- total with taxes and fees would be just under $62: even though there will be a set top box, the rep says there's no rental fee (probably an older model?).

We do mostly video streaming, up to 3 devices at a time. Don't need TV package, but if it's cheaper, wouldn't mind.

Would love to hear what others are getting.

Posted on: 2016/7/19 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have an ancient roof antenna I hooked up to. I discovered how long it had been since anyone cared about OTA in my household when Superbowl reception was crappy. I went up and turned the antenna to point at WTC1 instead of midtown. All was good.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
8/30 3:51
Group:
Registered Users
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-indoor-hdtv-antenna/

Try to place close to a window. Run a longer cable if needed. I get better results near south-facing windows. North-facing I angle it NE toward the towers in the page below.

Experiment a little. Some channels I get a better signal laying the antenna flat. Boosters don't seem to help much.

https://www.tablotv.com/tools/

If you want to record shows you can hook up a hdhomerun device to your network and link it to a pc running WMC or a service like Emby. The signal can be a little choppy compared to a direct aerial to TV.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 12:07
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
My setup is the same as yours, but for the life of me I can't get my HD antenna to perform well...and I've tried 3 different ones. Some days I'll get 2 networks, sometimes none...it drives me batty. I don't watch much network stuff anyway, but on occasion I want to see Good Morning America or something. Anyone have ideas?

Try Silver Sensor:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PM-HDTV ... roduct-reviews/B00022O9VM

It works for most folks, including myself. It pulls down ALL public HD channels, but then again I have unobstructed line of sight to ESB/WTC1. Results may vary, but this may be your best bet.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 20:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/15 20:10
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
My setup is the same as yours, but for the life of me I can't get my HD antenna to perform well...and I've tried 3 different ones. Some days I'll get 2 networks, sometimes none...it drives me batty. I don't watch much network stuff anyway, but on occasion I want to see Good Morning America or something. Anyone have ideas?
have you tried putting antenna outside, even possibly on the roof? what is the range for ur antenna - 10 miles, 25 or 60? i've seen some great stuff on ota tv - i've discovered that judy garland had her own variety show on get tv, old episodes of the original star trek and lost in space on me tv, and murder she wrote and hart to hart on cozi

Posted on: 2016/3/15 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/15 16:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/15 5:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It's 2016 guys and it's very feasible to cut the cord AND get the tv programming you want. If you're into sports packages and the like then that's a tough proposition but for everyone else it's not hard to have your cake and eat it too.

I have comcast's 25mbps broadband option which is $66.99 er something as many have pointed out. . there is a cheaper option for a slower speed if you want and even with that option it should suffice for streaming media, perhaps not 4k media though. I chose a faster speed because I also utilize the internet for business uses as well.

I then have netflix mostly for movies and some of it's original content (house of cards etc. . .) for $7.99 per month

Hulu is the best option for getting nearly all the tv programming you want at $7.99 and it's original and international content is pretty awesome as well.

To round it all out I have an HD antenna inside my apartment that lets me pull all of the local channels like fox, nbc, cbs etc. . I want in crystal clear HD for free but many of the shows that are shown on these channels are on hulu as well btw so this option is mostly to watch stuff live, pbs or to satiate any sports bros that come over. . .(as long as they aren't screaming at the tv)

Gran Total $82.97. . . .now one could say "oh but I could get a double play package from fiocast for that money" BUT this would be a very limited contract AND with the hulu+netflix combo you'll enjoy programming that is EASILY equivalent to a $300 a month package from the fiocast.

A tv and internet combo that's under $100 from fiocast has very few channels and just isn't worth the cost compared to the value you get cutting the cord and going netflix+hulu which is something you can watch anytime, anywhere at anyone's place or on anyone's device with your account which is an option with fiocast but once again on very limited terms and very limited programming options.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 18:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
try karma

Karma is awesome for occasional use. I also use Project Fi that has similar pricing ~$10/Gb - though you need to swap to one of their Nexus phones.

For home use though - it gets expensive fast. I use close to 200Gb/month with Comcast - I stream a lot of video content (Netflix, Hulu, etc). Fios and Comcast are the only real alternatives in JC for high usage, unfortunately.
sounds like you could also talking about the demofarts and republicants

Posted on: 2016/3/14 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
8/30 3:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
try karma

Karma is awesome for occasional use. I also use Project Fi that has similar pricing ~$10/Gb - though you need to swap to one of their Nexus phones.

For home use though - it gets expensive fast. I use close to 200Gb/month with Comcast - I stream a lot of video content (Netflix, Hulu, etc). Fios and Comcast are the only real alternatives in JC for high usage, unfortunately.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
My 2 year promo just expired with Verizon Fios, and I had to spend over 2 hrs on the phone with them (imbeciles) to be a decent rate of $35/mo for 2 yrs. The first employee gave me $50/mo and I said I'd call back to finalize. First wanted to check with Comcast. When I called back to finalize (having accepted that I'd have to pay $50) the next three employees couldn't "figure out" how to get me that rate and one kept insisting that $40/mo for the first year then $70 thereafter was "better" than $50/mo for two years. Finally the fourth person I spoke to gave me $35/mo for 1 year and $40 for the next year. Sold.

Maybe I should do that. My rate with Verizon is rather high (internet and one land line). I really don't want to change providers because 50/50 Fios service I have is pretty solid. I primarily work from home via the cloud so up time and speed are REALLY important.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
My 2 year promo just expired with Verizon Fios, and I had to spend over 2 hrs on the phone with them (imbeciles) to be a decent rate of $35/mo for 2 yrs. The first employee gave me $50/mo and I said I'd call back to finalize. First wanted to check with Comcast. When I called back to finalize (having accepted that I'd have to pay $50) the next three employees couldn't "figure out" how to get me that rate and one kept insisting that $40/mo for the first year then $70 thereafter was "better" than $50/mo for two years. Finally the fourth person I spoke to gave me $35/mo for 1 year and $40 for the next year. Sold.

Awesome work! Just shows what ridiculous margins these pricks have.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/14 13:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
What about looking for a good cell phone data plan and setting up a hot spot?

Ive been running on a "verizon hot spot", I have Verizon cell service. maybe this is what Ive been picking up, but the connection is slow for watching movies online, the picture is jjumpy

Posted on: 2016/3/14 1:20

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017