Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sigh...Noisy neighbors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I concur with the remarks about the non-emergency operator being inept or simply useless - The times I have called which I can count on one hand, resulted in the operator giving me some poor advice or excuse why Police counted attend that sounded like a recorded message.

Maybe Jim Shea or Steven Fulop could address or review the policy and procedure of operators; some are simply hopeless and it makes you wonder if they are on some sort of commission to see how many calls they can brush-off and not record as a call for police.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 22:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
With regard to past experiences .. I have had to call the police and, in the past, the response and outcome was fairly good. However, most recently, I had to call numerous times and it took over 1.5 hours for the police to finally show up. This was unusual and I am concerned that it may be a result of police being pulled into other areas for patrols, sweeps, etc... I hope this is just one aberrant instance and not indicative of what will come. I understand the need to focus on higher priority issues, but quality of life is critical to making sure good neighbors stay and that our blocks just get taken over by those who have no respect for others.

I hope the new administration does figure out how to better handle this issue; but again, I am concerned about the most recent experience. I hope that we get to a point where the police start to give out summons, and not just talk about giving them out. Hit the trouble-makers in the pocket. Escalate for repeat offenders. The law is there, use it.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Which bar is it so we can boycott the business?

Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Quote:
by Yojimbo on 2013/9/11 14:03:57 Just curious: What kind of results have people had with calling the non-emergency number for daytime noise complaints? Has anyone actually experienced a situation where the cops responded and told the neighbor to keep it down?

I live next door to a bar and have called the non emergency number on a weekend day only to be scoffingly assured that the police were taking care of "more important issues" and that there was was a "10pm noise ordinance."

The noise has continued for years, sometimes with a DJ and more speakers. Love my house but the bar next door is shitty neighbor.

And yes, I've tried politely talking to the owner who encouraged me to " go right ahead and call the cops ~ they aren't gonna do nothin' anyway, haha."

The answer from the operator is not acceptable. When you start your calls, make sure you record when you made the call & who the operator was. THERE IS NO SUCH ORDINANCE THAT SAYS YOU CANNOT DO A DAMN THING BEFORE 10PM. WHEN THE BAR'S QUALITY OF LIFE DESTROYS THE QUALITY OF YOURS......CALL! Call every 5 minutes if you have to.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Quote:
by Yojimbo on 2013/9/11 14:03:57 Just curious: What kind of results have people had with calling the non-emergency number for daytime noise complaints? Has anyone actually experienced a situation where the cops responded and told the neighbor to keep it down?

I live next door to a bar and have called the non emergency number on a weekend day only to be scoffingly assured that the police were taking care of "more important issues" and that there was was a "10pm noise ordinance."

The noise has continued for years, sometimes with a DJ and more speakers. Love my house but the bar next door is shitty neighbor.

And yes, I've tried politely talking to the owner who encouraged me to " go right ahead and call the cops ~ they aren't gonna do nothin' anyway, haha."

The answer from the operator is not acceptable. When you start your calls, make sure you record when you made the call & who the operator was. THERE IS NO SUCH ORDINANCE THAT SAYS YOU CANNOT DO A DAMN THING BEFORE 10PM. WHEN THE BAR'S QUALITY OF LIFE DESTROYS THE QUALITY OF YOURS......CALL! Call every 5 minutes if you have to.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:
Just curious:

What kind of results have people had with calling the non-emergency number for daytime noise complaints? Has anyone actually experienced a situation where the cops responded and told the neighbor to keep it down?

I've had to be a little persistent but I have had success getting the police to pay a visit to the neighborhood jerks who think they could do whatever they wanted just because it was during the day.

If the operator gives you lip service just remind them that when the quality of your life is affected, you have the right. Make sure you get their operator number also.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully Jim Shea and Steven Fulop will address these and similar anti-social issues with new directives for police and those with authorty to act and impliment that zero tolerance policy made famous in NYC

Posted on: 2013/9/12 10:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/9/12 2:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
Put up a lawn sprinkler and leave for the day... Just make sure that the water also goes into their yard.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 22:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious:

What kind of results have people had with calling the non-emergency number for daytime noise complaints? Has anyone actually experienced a situation where the cops responded and told the neighbor to keep it down?

Posted on: 2013/9/11 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
Quote:

heightsliving wrote:
My Union (Iron Workers), good ol Marine Corps buddies and some old Brooklyn neighborhood friends would just love to have a BBQ in your backyard! Sometimes those kind of "neighbors" just need to know it can get a little difficult for them also.... but the advise/comments you recieved are on the money.... but just in case my offer stands. It will be fun.

Ooooooh! If this goes down, I'm bringing the potato salad.

I'll bring the fried eggplant chips.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
i'll bring the 'Q'

Posted on: 2013/9/10 21:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heightsliving wrote:
My Union (Iron Workers), good ol Marine Corps buddies and some old Brooklyn neighborhood friends would just love to have a BBQ in your backyard! Sometimes those kind of "neighbors" just need to know it can get a little difficult for them also.... but the advise/comments you recieved are on the money.... but just in case my offer stands. It will be fun.

Ooooooh! If this goes down, I'm bringing the potato salad.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 21:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/10 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
I know who you speak of! I live over on Fairview and we have been regularly calling the police whenever they have those horrible parties. One of my neighbors actually confronted the owner a year ago and it did not go so well, which is why I think the police are the only option outside of figuring out how to take down that stupid screen they put up... good luck.

I had a noise problem from a neighbor across the street when I called the 5477 number the operator asked if I approached the party creating the disturbance. I told her "absolutely not" I felt my life would be in danger if I did so. Please do not approach this inconsiderate neighbors they may be sensitive and lash out at you.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 10:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Good advice from everyone. I'd also add that you should record the behavior if you can (audio or video). Your neighbor might tone it down when they see the police approaching (especially if you've called for them repeatedly), and you might want to give the officers some idea of what it sounded like before they arrived.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely, follow HeightsBrat info and call the police dispatch number provided. Also, as HeightsBrat mentions, check the code -- there are noise restrictions for day and night (so if anyone gives you the 10PM line, they are full of it). 65 decibels is not very loud -- just google decibel rating (60 db is quoted at "normal conversation"). The JCPD seem to be more receptive to responding even if the issue is during the day. However, if they are busy, this may be deemed low priority and you may need to call multiple times. Keep calling even if it is frustrating. If you can get other neighbors to call, more power to you.
I continue to be suprised by how much good neighbors are willing to take from bad neighbors. In the end, the bad neighbors will only get worse as they are continue to get away with doing whatever they want.
If the problem persists, go to your precinct's Captains Meeting and voice the problem. They usually will give you additional good advice -- In the past, if there is a history of multiple complaints, they were willing to take more proactive measures.
Do not just live with it.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I know who you speak of! I live over on Fairview and we have been regularly calling the police whenever they have those horrible parties. One of my neighbors actually confronted the owner a year ago and it did not go so well, which is why I think the police are the only option outside of figuring out how to take down that stupid screen they put up... good luck.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Could be time for 'bllood and bone' or 'fish' or manure fertilizer to be spread along the property line adjacent to the 'special' empathy-free neighbor.

Places like Home Depo can give great advice on what has the best nasal impact ... it will also be great from the garden!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
How many more times is this issue going to be addressed?

1. Neighbor consistently disturbing peace & tranquility. Not once every blue moon.

2. Neighborly request to quiet down a bit met with hostility.

What should I do?

CALL THE NON EMERGENCY NUMBER - 201-547-5477.

Also know that there is NO SUCH LAW that says you can't call till after 10pm. Anytime the quality of your life is impacted, you have the right.

Also when met with hostility make the call. Nothing is worth putting yourself in a threatening position. These are not people who occasionally throw a wing-ding. These are not people who didn't realize they were louder than they thought. These are inconsiderate dolts who think they can do whatever they want, when they want, regardless of those around them because they are on their own property. And it doesn't matter if their little party is outdoors or in, the rules are still the same.

Make the call & NEVER feel guilty. If the shoe were on the other foot, I bet someone would have no problem calling you in.

Good luck.

May I also suggest, refer to Chapter 222, Article 1 of the Jersey City Municipal Code. Don't know how easily it can be enforced, but the law is on your side here. Apparently there's a $1250 fine for loud unnecessary noise (see section 1-25, although I wonder how often it gets imposed). Here's a link to the code:

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16093

According to the code - you need to read down to
section 222-3 - as I understand it, too loud is defined as over 65 decibels. You can buy a used noise meter on Ebay inexpensively. Measure and document the noise when it happens. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
How many more times is this issue going to be addressed?

1. Neighbor consistently disturbing peace & tranquility. Not once every blue moon.

2. Neighborly request to quiet down a bit met with hostility.

What should I do?

CALL THE NON EMERGENCY NUMBER - 201-547-5477.

Also know that there is NO SUCH LAW that says you can't call till after 10pm. Anytime the quality of your life is impacted, you have the right.

Also when met with hostility make the call. Nothing is worth putting yourself in a threatening position. These are not people who occasionally throw a wing-ding. These are not people who didn't realize they were louder than they thought. These are inconsiderate dolts who think they can do whatever they want, when they want, regardless of those around them because they are on their own property. And it doesn't matter if their little party is outdoors or in, the rules are still the same.

Make the call & NEVER feel guilty. If the shoe were on the other foot, I bet someone would have no problem calling you in.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
You've tried to be rational and nice to this cretin. Next time, just call the police.

Quote:

chocolatecake wrote:
Which, of course I've done...and I've turned on the air conditioner and a white noise machine.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 16:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Which, of course I've done...and I've turned on the air conditioner and a white noise machine.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Close the windows during football games.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 16:06

Sigh...Noisy neighbors
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, I realize that this is a "first world problem" and that I live in a noisy city with lots of other people, but here goes:

We have a loud, often drunk-sounding neighbor living on the other side of our backyard fence who has suddenly decided to take his jumbo screen tv out to his backyard and to watch football games with his pals. The tv itself is not all that loud, but all the yelling and screaming from the viewers often is. I asked him last year through the fence if he could keep the noise level down (this was pre-jumbo tv, when he and the pals were just doing their regular guffawing and yelling obscenities at each other) and was met with a lot of drunken hostility, so I'm really loathe to confront this dimwit--I'm predicting that it would make him turn the volume and the yelling up even louder. Is there any way that other people have dealt with this, or is it just a shut up and deal with it situation?

Posted on: 2013/9/8 15:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017