Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bloomberg: Jersey City attracting smarties more than any other big city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Is JCList's "Godwin's Law" that any thread that goes on long enough will turn to the grocery store wish list?

Seriously, wtf?! This went from education to food in a few shorts posts. I wouldn't be surprised if the next list JC makes is "Fattest cities in America".

Hey just because we love food doesn't mean we're fat. I hit up the farmer's market twice a week and do my best to put away several pounds of veggies a week. Balances out all the rice balls and zeppoles I ate at the feast.

In my experience, overeducated people like myself are the most neurotic about where they shop for food and what they buy. I currently bounce between 4 different grocery stores (from mom and pops to meat markets to a&p) but if there was a trader joes I would shop there exclusively because I'm a little obsessed.

I've never been to a fairway but now I'm intrigued!

Posted on: 2013/8/24 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Is JCList's "Godwin's Law" that any thread that goes on long enough will turn to the grocery store wish list?

Seriously, wtf?! This went from education to food in a few shorts posts. I wouldn't be surprised if the next list JC makes is "Fattest cities in America".

Posted on: 2013/8/24 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Lol

Posted on: 2013/8/24 9:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I surmise that JC is heavily invested in expat accommodation - Expats need access to NY, but are budget conscience and will shop of apartments for their 1 -5 year employment contracts.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 22:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/28 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I am chinese and my husband is Indian, I cook both Indian and Chinese food at home. We live in Paulus hook so maybe I can provide some insights about Asian grocery needs.

For chinese cooking, we still need the standard fresh meats, seafood, vegetables on a very regular basis. The condiments are the only things that would require an infrequent trip to an Asian store. We go to Hmart once evey 2 months to fulfill that need.

Similarly, with Indian food, other than lentils and spices, most other ingredients are pretty standard. For these special items we stock up on them once every few months at JSQ.

Other things like tofu, paneer( indian cheese), okra, bok choy are not common in typical grocery stores, but WF in tribeca carries them, so they are not that uncommon afterall.

The problem in our area, is that there is no decent grocery shop within walking distance. I'd like to able to walk to a store after work twice a week and pick up something fresh. Hudson Greene (the only one in the area) is a joke when it comes to real grocery shopping. As for shoprite, with the lines and the distance, I need to spend at least an hour there each time in order to make the trip worthwhile.

So for the past 2.5 years since we have moved here, we have been ordering from Freshdirect twice a week. Judging from the number of FD boxes in the garbage room at our building, many of our neighbours are doing the same.

If I were to compare WF quality and variety with FD, WF beats it hands-down. Price wise both are similar. I hope this answers the question on spending habits ( at least when it comes to food )

So we would love to have something like WF, or better yet, Fairway in our neighbourhood.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joe's isn't used to Asian clientele? I find that hard to believe given they are based in Cali and have stores throughout NJ in places with diverse populations.

They have a store in Clifton, which is pretty blue collar. There are other things at play here.

Also JJ published an article that Society Hill and Port Liberte each have average income over 100k...my guess is their averages are likely only bested by Newport/07310 generally which would be followed up by 07302 (probably Paulus Hook and then HP and VVP).

Posted on: 2013/8/23 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/8/23 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:
The educational attainment of our waterfront residents is among the highest in the country..

Our waterfront is also high on the list of most expensive places to live in the US.

All this talk about the influx of college educated individuals, let's hope a Whole Foods rep is reading these stats. Isn't that one of their biggest considerations after all when considering a new store location? Seems backwards that one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. has a Key Foods as their crown and jewel in terms of a grocery store.

Perhaps the eating habits of different ethnic groups play a role too. There are a lot of Chinese and Indian-Americans in 07302 and 07310 whose grocery buying habits might not fit the WF preferred customer profile. Supposedly, eating habits take longer to change than other aspects of assimilation.

And don't forget $$$ buying habits. Spending money wisely is important to them as well. Plus most of these ethnic groups stay only 6 months at a pop not enough time to settle down in a community.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 17:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Fairway > Trade Joe's

+1

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Fairway > Trade Joe's

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that Trader Joe's is a better fit for JC, and would prefer one over Whole Paycheck as well. The point I was trying to convey was that for a city that is supposedly one of the richest areas to live, it sure doesn't have the amenities to support that claim.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Agreed. A Trader Joe's would be so much better than a Whole Paycheck.

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:
The educational attainment of our waterfront residents is among the highest in the country..

Our waterfront is also high on the list of most expensive places to live in the US.

All this talk about the influx of college educated individuals, let's hope a Whole Foods rep is reading these stats. Isn't that one of their biggest considerations after all when considering a new store location? Seems backwards that one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. has a Key Foods as their crown and jewel in terms of a grocery store.

I think that was trader joes actually. Which I would MUCH prefer to a Whole Paycheck.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:

Perhaps the eating habits of different ethnic groups play a role too. There are a lot of Chinese and Indian-Americans in 07302 and 07310 whose grocery buying habits might not fit the WF preferred customer profile. Supposedly, eating habits take longer to change than other aspects of assimilation.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:

I think that was trader joes actually. Which I would MUCH prefer to a Whole Paycheck.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
JC population is not 161k.

Yeah, that was confusing. The populations of other cities listed are also low. I looked for an explanation of the data but couldn't find it.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
The educational attainment of our waterfront residents is among the highest in the country, going back to the '90s with the construction of the "Towers of America" at Newport (The Riverside, Southampton, East Hampton, Atlantic & Pacific) and the other high-rise residential towers (The Marbella, Liberty Towers, Grove Pointe, 50 Columbus, etc.)

Posted on: 2013/8/23 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:
Bloomberg used data from the U.S. Census to rank the 151 cities analyzed. New York, Jersey City's big competitor across the Hudson River, didn't make the top 20.

That's funny. But I guarantee people will be hating on this data, especially people FROM JC.

I agree, the JSQ area Little India has the most college educated people in the entire city. I think smart folks would choose JC and wanna b's will bitch about it not being like NYC.

idiocy on display. numerous studies have shown that education and wealth are connected, for better or for worse. This means the neighborhoods with the highest median income most likely have the highest number of college educated individuals. Newport is probably 1 or 2.

Judging books by their covers, sometimes this is not so. Take a look at the area of Newark Ave between Kennedy Blvd. And Tonnelle Ave. It is disgusting. Litter everywhere, parking is a mess, driving is a nightmare. The houses are in dire need of repair and not up to code. And the area has an educated sect.
I know plenty of people with loads of cash, nice homes, well kept properties, and yes-low education they just budget their money in a more efficient way and are more responsible.
Auto insurance companies are charging less if the applicant has a better level of education and a better credit history. Either way you are monetarily doomed if you do not meet these expectations.
Jobs are more apt to hire a non-smoker which means the employee is less of a health risk, and less smoke breaks needed.
There are those that have money, are less educated, and can live side by side of those that are ?affluent? and more educated. It can be said for an educated person with no money that has to pay rent in an undesirable community.
Then there are those with less affluence or a low education level that seem to rub elbows in areas they can?t afford to live in by patronizing simple establishments in the neighborhood, participating in activities or events in order to give the wanna-bees the feeling of belonging. Society has a way to stop this it is called pricing them out. Maybe this is the new form of utopia.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
This ranking might be incorrect. JC population is not 161k. Unless they think rest of the 100k are illegals.

Maybe the rest are under a certain age considered old enough to have gotten a college degree. Apologies to Sheldon Cooper.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/23 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This ranking might be incorrect. JC population is not 161k. Unless they think rest of the 100k are illegals.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:
Bloomberg used data from the U.S. Census to rank the 151 cities analyzed. New York, Jersey City's big competitor across the Hudson River, didn't make the top 20.

That's funny. But I guarantee people will be hating on this data, especially people FROM JC.

I agree, the JSQ area Little India has the most college educated people in the entire city. I think smart folks would choose JC and wanna b's will bitch about it not being like NYC.

idiocy on display. numerous studies have shown that education and wealth are connected, for better or for worse. This means the neighborhoods with the highest median income most likely have the highest number of college educated individuals. Newport is probably 1 or 2.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
WES

Posted on: 2013/8/23 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

These are borrowed people lets keep the stats towards home grown (U.S.) folks.

User - where do you get your numbers? With reference to Little India how do you manage to get so specific - I can only get data at the zip code level. Do you have a link to census tract data you can provide? Frankly, if we are dealing with % of college educated (as opposed to headcounts) I would think that 02 and 10 are higher than 06, using median and mean income as a surrogate measure.

FAB - why do you think it is important to keep the stats "towards home grown" residents. In most situation requiring a college degree that I am aware of, applicants with foreign degrees must provide certification that their degree meets the same requirements as the equivalent US degree. When it does not, they may be required to fill in the gaps by taking courses. There is a national organization that certifies international degrees. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it is called right now, but it will come to me, I hope.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

These are borrowed people lets keep the stats towards home grown (U.S.) folks.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to the interlopers.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
That's pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:37

Bloomberg: Jersey City attracting smarties more than any other big city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The number of educated adults in Jersey City rose by 13 percent since 2000, a bigger increase than in any other big city in the nation, according to Bloomberg.

Adults with bachelor's degrees over the age of 25 numbered 68,538 in 2011, up from 42,676 in 2000, Bloomberg reports in a chart called "Biggest Brain Gains."

Atlanta and Washington, D.C. came in just behind Jersey City, each with an increase of 11 percent, Bloomberg reports. Arlington, Va. and Portland, Ore. round out the top five.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017