Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: A total of 111 arrested in three Jersey City police sweeps
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
The article really confused me. Were plainclothes police just hanging out on the street and arresting people as they saw them commit crimes (including moving violations, which I never thought of as crimes, but I guess they are)?

Moving violations aren't crimes, not even DUI. They're civil offenses. They wouldn't result in criminal charges. However, any time they take a person into custody, the police can call it an arrest, regardless of the charge.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
The article really confused me. Were plainclothes police just hanging out on the street and arresting people as they saw them commit crimes (including moving violations, which I never thought of as crimes, but I guess they are)?

Posted on: 2013/8/16 12:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Nice work, keep the heat on the losers.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 1:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
The big question now is how many of these arrests lead to actual jail time? And how many of those who end up in jail will be there long enough to keep the streets clean for awhile? I have a feeling that alot of those arrested will be back out on the streets in a year or so unfortunately...

Agreed, but I believe the plan is to have enough arrests and chaos happen to drive the activity out of the city. Or to get more control of the situation and make neighborhoods feel safer.

Because incarceration in the US has been shown to be such a smashing success. See: Rockefeller, drug laws.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 1:08

Kudos to JCPD!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
We had a neighborhood meeting with the JCPD at 7PM and Deputy Chief Cowan had to leave due to the shooting.
Personally I am very impressed with the Department for taking such immediate action to reach out to our block associations, and to actually institute new patrols.

To see a 700+ person PD make so many positive changes in such a short time shows a real dedication to the public, and I am proud of them. Keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
There seems to be something major going on tonight. Cop cars are racing down Garfield, word on the streets a big bust with shots fired...stay tuned.

48 arrested in latest Jersey City police sweep, including man who shot at cop: officials

Posted on: 2013/8/15 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
The purpose of this is to show people that the PD is flexing its muscles and help deter some future crime since now many people the need to stay low. Not many people will actually do jail time.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Most of them are moving violations, so those people will not be jailed so they would be back on the street. However if they do not show up for their court date a warrant would be issued and that can lead to jail time.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 17:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
The big question now is how many of these arrests lead to actual jail time? And how many of those who end up in jail will be there long enough to keep the streets clean for awhile? I have a feeling that alot of those arrested will be back out on the streets in a year or so unfortunately...

Agreed, but I believe the plan is to have enough arrests and chaos happen to drive the activity out of the city. Or to get more control of the situation and make neighborhoods feel safer.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/15 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There seems to be something major going on tonight. Cop cars are racing down Garfield, word on the streets a big bust with shots fired...stay tuned.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is this an initiative brought about by the new Safety Director - If so, keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 23:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

A total of 111 arrested in three Jersey City police sweeps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
A total of 111 arrested in three Jersey City police sweeps

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
August 09, 2013 at 9:04 PM

A third multi-agency sweep led by the Jersey City Police Department Thursday evening into Friday has brought the tally of arrests to 111 on various charges, as well as the seizure of drugs, guns and other weapons, officials said tonight.

?The Jersey City Police Department continues to gather critical criminal intelligence and use that information to target areas that have been the sources of ongoing crime problems,? Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said of last night?s sweep that led to 29 arrests of people ranging in age from a juvenile to a 47-year-old man. ?We are continuing to arrest the individuals who are the source of these crimes and remove the illegal guns and drugs from our neighborhoods.?

At 5:30 p.m. yesterday 40 officers and supervisors fanned out across the south and west districts conducting surveillance at crime hot spots, gathering information and making arrests, Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

Working on a tip that there were two armed men on Monticello Avenue, the officers found a group of unarmed man and arrested three on open warrants before finding two handguns hidden in a mailbox, Morrill said. While making narcotics arrests on Orient Avenue, officers searching for hidden drugs found a bag containing a revolver and more than 100 rounds of ammunition, Morrill said.

Some of the arrests made in the sweep conducted with the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office, the Hudson County Sheriff?s Office and the Drug Enforcement Administration were the result of a second phase in which 30 officers targeted the areas where surveillance had been conducted. Twelve summonses were issued for city ordinance and motor vehicle violations

A similar sweep on Aug. 2 into Aug. 3 resulted in the arrest of 36 people ages 16 to 51, Morrill said, adding that a replica handgun, replica Uzi, a crossbow, 14 knives, 19 pairs of handcuffs, a blackjack, 15 bags of marijuana and two bags of cocaine were seized.

?We have taken a new approach to how the JCPD is working to solve public safety issues?? Fulop said. ?But we are also investing in our jobs and recreation programs to provide more opportunities for our residents as we know that this is also part of the public safety solution.?

On Thursday into Friday, Jerome Robinson, 18; Kenyowa Pinkney, 20, and Charles Wall were among those charged with the most serious offenses, Morrrill said. They are charged with drug possession within intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of school property, Morrill said, adding that Pinkney and Wall are also charged with drug possession with intent to distribute within 500 of public property.

During last week?s sweep, Lavon King, 20; Justin Garcia, 22; Markell Spivey, 30, and James Washington, 22, were charged with drug possession with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of school property, Morrill said.

Also last week, James Leslie, 28; Kyson Eason, 27; Sultun Malik Biassey, 28; George Hurt, 49; Darius Washington, 46; Al?Tariq Cole, 27; Alterik Ellis, 20, a 17-year-old boy were charged with actual drug distribution on or within 1,000 feet of school property, Morrill said.

A previous sweep was conducted in July, Morrill said.

Jersey Journal Staff writer Anthony Machcinski contributed to this report.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_city_police_sweeps.html

Posted on: 2013/8/10 5:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017