Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Village Fishmonger comes to JC!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Fresh wild-caught seafood in a good supermarket can often be over $20/lb. Any decent fish at all is going to exceed $10. This "CSF" looks like it's worth at least trying for the 6 deliveries you have to commit to.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wish these guys, or ANY fishmonger, would set up a stand at any of the downtown farmers markets and sell their goods without a membership. It's tricky and a bit inconvenient with the membership because I can't guarantee that I'll have the time to cook the fish fresh when the order is in. For example if I'm traveling, working late, etc.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday the fish was two big, beautiful, sushi grade steaks of ahi tuna. We followed the recipe on their website: dredged in a spice mixture and quickly seared. They were delicious.

I have been loving this csa and hope they do it again when it's up. It would be a little more convenient for us if they came to the Grove St farmers market but the quality is worth the extra stop on the commute home.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 17:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Great to hear! I'm excited for my first share too. Looks like it will be Silver Hake.

Pickup is between 5:30 and 8 p.m. tomorrow, and it's just a short walk from the JSQ PATH to St. Paul's at Five Corners. The 80, 87, 119, and 84 buses all stop nearby. See you tomorrow!

Posted on: 2013/8/12 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Signed up and excited to pick up the first installment tomorrow night! We got the small share, enough for one dinner for two people, about 1lb of local fish. It was $90 for six pickups, so $15/lb. I think it's worth it for locally caught seafood. It's hard to get anything but farmraised at the grocery store at that price.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 14:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Produce can be cheaper and usually is when it is in season. At the Park Slope Food Co-op, for example, they only sell seasonal produce (with about 7 exceptions, like apples) and keep costs down because of the member workers. The place has thousands of people working for free so the markup is only about 10% across the board. However, the cheeses and meats were much more expensive. Why? Because of volume. Producing those items commercially organically right now costs a lot more. I don't know anyone in the CSA or Farmer's Market movement who claims organic or locally sourced meats or fish is going to be cheaper. The supermarket is cheaper because of the horrific methods of production, the disgusting feed being fed to the fish or animals and all the rest of it. Buying seasonal produce from a CSA is about supporting small-scale farming, so that you eat better and healthier and the farmer can grow his or her business. Everyone can decide how to spend their money and what is best for them, but the more people who can participate in a CSA or buy from a farm stand or weekly market, the more the costs will go down as demand rises.

Posted on: 2013/8/11 0:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Isn't VF's incentive to pass on the lowest passable grade of fish at the biggest mark-up? Isn't the end-fisherman's incentive to flog VF anything they can't themselves sell for a premium.

No.

VF estimates between 24 and 36 hours between the landing of the fish and the share delivery, which is extremely fresh for commercially landed fish. Below is an example of how a share arrives; the label includes the catch date, species, origin and fishery.

Many of the larger local species, like swordfish, are higher in mercury, which may not be news to anyone. If you're pregnant or nursing, a woman of childbearing age or a young child, it's not advised for consumption. Others may do so if they choose, but not more than once a month is recommended.

VF lets you choose whether you want these fish in your share, and if you don't, it will either substitute your share or skip the delivery. You'll still get the amount of shares you paid for. This is all in their policies, and here's a list of the species available and their selection process.

Their Facebook page also has a lot of info, and you can post questions there or email them. They're happy to talk your ear off about what they do and how they do it, if you're actually interested.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/10 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps I'm reading the blurb wrong.

Isn't VF's incentive to pass on the lowest passable grade of fish at the biggest mark-up? Isn't the end-fisherman's incentive to flog VF anything they can't themselves sell for a premium. VF's website seems to indicate that they provide who and how, but not when and where fish were caught. They make no claims on quality assurance. Low mercury is optional???

So I might be getting a fish that was dredged up from some sludge-filled estuary that barely passes EPA tests, and has sat at the bottom of some local fisherman's icebox for who knows how long?

Pass.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
I'm an owner of the JCFC, and our entire model is based on cutting out the middleman, since we as a group buy directly from distributors and farmers. Central to our mission is ensuring that the producers receive a fair price for their goods while keeping them affordable for our owners. We work mainly with small scale farmers, so this balance is important. It's also a concern for Village Fishmonger, and it's one of the reasons we chose to work with them to provide this service for our owners and the city. The convenience of the share delivery, promotion of sustainable local fisheries and knowing where the fish actually came from are also a plus.

If you're interested, here's an article about VF which might address some of your concerns.

What I don't get about the whole CSA, farmers market models is even though they supposedly cut out one or 2 levels of distribution network middlemen, they're still more expensive than most supermarket goods. We're supposed to get all our benefit from "it's fresher" & "feeling good about our food", but none financially. Traditional CO-OP markets are usually cheaper than conventional, but these alternative markets are not.

If this is the best "direct from producer to consumer" can do, I end up in admiration of the supermarket system's efficiency with several more layers between.

Volume

Posted on: 2013/8/9 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's true, I've never been to a farmers market where produce is cheaper than in your average supermarket.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
I'm an owner of the JCFC, and our entire model is based on cutting out the middleman, since we as a group buy directly from distributors and farmers. Central to our mission is ensuring that the producers receive a fair price for their goods while keeping them affordable for our owners. We work mainly with small scale farmers, so this balance is important. It's also a concern for Village Fishmonger, and it's one of the reasons we chose to work with them to provide this service for our owners and the city. The convenience of the share delivery, promotion of sustainable local fisheries and knowing where the fish actually came from are also a plus.

If you're interested, here's an article about VF which might address some of your concerns.

What I don't get about the whole CSA, farmers market models is even though they supposedly cut out one or 2 levels of distribution network middlemen, they're still more expensive than most supermarket goods. We're supposed to get all our benefit from "it's fresher" & "feeling good about our food", but none financially. Traditional CO-OP markets are usually cheaper than conventional, but these alternative markets are not.

If this is the best "direct from producer to consumer" can do, I end up in admiration of the supermarket system's efficiency with several more layers between.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 20:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
$15 lb! Maybe that's par for high end nonfarmed, I dunno. But it'll sure help me justify my fishing gear: "honey, that kayak will be paid for in only 40 pounds of fish! That's 2 big striped bass! Or 150 spot, or...

+1

Not sold on the quality nor value prop on receiving biweekly pot-luck for $15/lb. The whole thing seems designed to benefit the middleman.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
$15 lb! Maybe that's par for high end nonfarmed, I dunno. But it'll sure help me justify my fishing gear: "honey, that kayak will be paid for in only 40 pounds of fish! That's 2 big striped bass! Or 150 spot, or...

+1

Not sold on the quality nor value prop on receiving biweekly pot-luck for $15/lb. The whole thing seems designed to benefit the middleman.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
HMART will not come to JC anytime soon, but yeah they have a lot of good fish

Posted on: 2013/8/9 1:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I like Morton Williams for their fish selection. I've had good results there especially with their wild salmon, bronzino and snapper.

I still miss the days of the International Food Market where Target now stands. That place had tanks with lobsters, crabs and all sorts of fish swimming and ready for the taking.

If Hmart would ever set up shop in JC, I'm sure they would have a decent seafood selection.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I would absolutely pay $15 for two 8 oz. fresh fish filet dinners. A couple of bucks for a veggie side and I'm set. I'm having trouble with the link but I'm in. I haven't been able to find really fresh fish in JC at any price.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Brewster - one of the best tasting fish are the black sea bass. My dock neighbors are bringing them in by the bushels over the past 3 weeks. If you have a way to get your kayak to the area near Coney Island, that is where you should go to target them. Best table fish in the area.

Thanks, but the way the wind has been, heavy from the south, I can't imagine my being comfortable out there. I've been sticking to this side of the river/harbor, and that can be bad enough in 15+kts.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster - one of the best tasting fish are the black sea bass. My dock neighbors are bringing them in by the bushels over the past 3 weeks. If you have a way to get your kayak to the area near Coney Island, that is where you should go to target them. Best table fish in the area.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/8/8 6:03

Village Fishmonger comes to JC!!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/8 5:11
From 440 Hoboken Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Food Co-op is excited to announce our partnership with Village Fishmonger, bringing the best, locally-sourced seafood to Jersey City!!

Village Fishmonger is a sustainable seafood company that currently operates a CSF -- a CSA for seafood -- with multiple pick-up locations in NYC neighborhoods. Read more about them in Brooklyn Magazine or listen to a podcast they recorded for Slate Magazine's Table to Farm podcast series.

We will be launching seafood share distributions with Village Fishmonger starting Tuesday, August 13th. Participation will be open to everyone, so you don't have to be a Co-op owner to subscribe. Sign up by midnight on Saturday, August 10th to receive your first local seafood share on the 13th. Subscriptions are rolling and available year-round, so you can also sign up or renew at any time!

Currently,distributions will be bi-weekly on Tuesdays during JCFC's Tuesday PreShop evening pick-up at St. Paul's Lutheran Church at Five Corners. Parking is available during distribution hours.

Main share options are:

-Medium share (~2 lbs of filleted fish, good for 2 meals for 2 people), bi-weekly distribution --> $180 for total of 6 distributions
-Small share (~1 lb of filleted fish, good for 1 meal for 2 people, bi-weekly distribution --> $90 for total of 6 distributions

There are also options for clams, oysters, scallops and lobsters that can be added to your bi-weekly share. Subscribers will also have the option to order those items through their a la carte store .

Choose the JC Jersey City Food Co-Op delivery schedule.

Select 'BI-WEEKLY DELIVERIES' for your payment plan.

Religious or Dietary restrictions? Let VF know in the 'Sign-Up comments' section, or email them at info@villagefishmongernyc.com. Village Fishmonger offers Kosher Style (excludes non-Kosher fish) and Low Mercury shares, and you can tell them about any other preferences.

Be sure to review their FAQ and Policies before you sign up! And check out some of their yummy recipes!!

Any questions? Email preshop@jcfoodcoop.coop.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 5:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017