Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: H2O Aquarium - Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I'm not a fan of aquariums or fish tanks or whatever the proper name is. I also never understood how there could be enough business in JC to support that store, but I hate to see a business going through a rough patch. Hope they do well in a different location.

people who are really into them can spend a lot of money. I was hoping they'd get the word out and become a destination for more of Hudson county. guess that didn't happen, sadly.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a fan of aquariums or fish tanks or whatever the proper name is. I also never understood how there could be enough business in JC to support that store, but I hate to see a business going through a rough patch. Hope they do well in a different location.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Noooooo. This is one of the better fish stores, tanks are clean, fish disease free and healthy, also they have a wide selection. Price is reasonable considering overnight shipping charges from ordering online and not to mention the added risk/stress On fish.

I have bought over 100 fishes from them trying to support the local shop. And all of them have survived acclimation and healthy.

This is really sad, now I have to go either all the way to china town or order online again.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The pet store on Newark and Jersey had lots of customers -- but quadruple the rent was a deal breaker.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i always wondered how tha a place would survive....it just didn't seem to get much foot traffic like the old pet store on newark and jersey or even that pet store in the heights on central

Posted on: 2014/7/10 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bearbear2013 wrote:
yeah, the signs announcing their closing have been up for a few days now. think i saw them right before 4th of july weekend? i'm not surprised it's going out of business (& i hate that i'm not) but i'm guessing that rent is too high to be maintained by such a niche business?

I was really hoping that such a niche, nicely-run business would attract aquarium fans from throughout Hudson County. That fish tank place in Hoboken lasted for decades, and it was a dump. H2O is spotless, and the fish seem really well cared-for.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 2:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, the signs announcing their closing have been up for a few days now. think i saw them right before 4th of july weekend? i'm not surprised it's going out of business (& i hate that i'm not) but i'm guessing that rent is too high to be maintained by such a niche business?

the last post on their facebook page was:

RELOCATION SALE

EVERYTHING MUST GO!

All live fish, buy one get one free!

Store wide 25% - 30% off everything

Posted on: 2014/7/9 20:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/3 10:54
From Village, DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
No info on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/h2oaquanj

Posted on: 2014/7/9 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I walked by today and noticed there are big signs on the window saying they're moving? Does anyone know to where? It may be posted on the windows but I was walking on the other side of the street so didn't see anything in that regard. TIA.

I heard queens.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by today and noticed there are big signs on the window saying they're moving? Does anyone know to where? It may be posted on the windows but I was walking on the other side of the street so didn't see anything in that regard. TIA.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 23:03

Re: New aquarium store on Jersey Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/12 22:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I wanted to throw this out there for anyone with even a passing interest in reef aquariums.

I?m finally placing my order with H20 for a BioCube this week, but in the process of doing my research, I visited Manhattan Aquariums near the Javits Center last Friday afternoon. Three days later and I?m still saying ?wow? to myself. I felt like I was in an aquatics lab more than a local fish store... probably the sort of place that coral fans trek hundreds of miles for. Check it out if you?re curious, you won?t be disappointed. I?m not sure how busy it gets, but it was practically vacant around 2PM, so browsing was very convenient.

i wanted to check out that place for a while but keep missing everytime in the city, do they have a good selection of equipments too?

There were several aquariums and a few sumps lying around, but otherwise there wasn't much equipment on display. I assume they can get anything a customer wants, but for browsing, it's mainly fish, corals, inverts, and anemones.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I wanted to throw this out there for anyone with even a passing interest in reef aquariums.

I?m finally placing my order with H20 for a BioCube this week, but in the process of doing my research, I visited Manhattan Aquariums near the Javits Center last Friday afternoon. Three days later and I?m still saying ?wow? to myself. I felt like I was in an aquatics lab more than a local fish store... probably the sort of place that coral fans trek hundreds of miles for. Check it out if you?re curious, you won?t be disappointed. I?m not sure how busy it gets, but it was practically vacant around 2PM, so browsing was very convenient.

i wanted to check out that place for a while but keep missing everytime in the city, do they have a good selection of equipments too?

Posted on: 2013/8/12 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

boilerplater wrote:
I must compliment you on your planting and maintenance. Those really look great! I had a tank some years ago, but when I lost everything during a long-term power outage during colder weather, I didn't want to make such risks again. When you go to the trouble of trying to provide a bit of habitat, you want to make it function and not kill your fish, you know? Do you have any kind of back-up power system?

thanks, i have a battery operated power filter to keep the water oxygenated in case of power outage. For heating during winter, i have some heat packs i can put in a bag and float on the tank if needed, similar to how fish is shipped during cold weather.

Nothing crazy like those saltwater junkies, those guys need the whole system to operate otherwise everything start to fail like dominos. I know people who wired their reef tank to off grid solar panels and/or giant gasoline powered generators in case of power outage. It's nuts.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/12 20:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I must compliment you on your planting and maintenance. Those really look great! I had a tank some years ago, but when I lost everything during a long-term power outage during colder weather, I didn't want to make such risks again. When you go to the trouble of trying to provide a bit of habitat, you want to make it function and not kill your fish, you know? Do you have any kind of back-up power system?

Posted on: 2013/8/11 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i visited them today, it was nice and organized. Very clean tank with healthy fish without any signs of disease or ich, also reasonably priced, although their cherry red shrimp was expensive at $4 each and didnt like the fact they carried painted glass fish which is fish force injected with red dye.

The livestock is pretty impressive covers majority of the common aquarium types, also i couldnt believe they had caribe piranha at $25 each, almost bought them on impulse.

Not much in term of plants or equipments, they had some beginner tanks and gears, not much else.

But overall it's a great place to go for buying aquarium fish, i will definitely go there to stock my new tank in a few weeks once cycled instead of ordering the fish online like i used to.

Hope this shop stays for a long time.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just visited this place last night, This place is fantastic!! Finally something all of JC can enjoy. I wish them luck!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/8 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

My wife is very loyal to Village Tropical and is mad at me for patronizing the new guy, but Village has got to clean up his act if he want's to stay in business, just like Downtown Hardware cleaned up theirs. Indifference to creating a customer friendly environment will not last in the face of competition.

Village Tropical also needs to treat their animals more humanely. Those birds in the window roast in the afternoon sun, and the ferrets, rabbits, and guinea pigs are packed too tightly in filthy cages.

That's why they never get my business.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
The owner took us around the store when it first opened and talked a little bit about the basics of setting up a small fw tank. I had expressed interest in live plants and he suggested getting a CO2 unit for the tank if I wanted to go that direction.

They have a neat selection of fw and sw fish including lots of adorable little puffers. I'll probably go fw and get my stuff there since the tanks at Village Tropical usually have some dead fish floating around in them. As a beginner, I'd like to do everything I can to get off on the right foot, starting with healthy fish.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

JCGuy: Great tanks! do you have a CO2 feed for the plants? My cousin said it was very difficult to have enough fish to truly balance the gases in a tank without other problems arising.

yes i have a 10 lb co2 tank injecting co2 into the tank at 3 bubble/sec, along with a medical grade auto doser that drops the macro/micro plant nutrients into the water on a timer. But this is known as a high tech setup aka plants on steroids. 1 misstep and you have a big algae problem.

You can setup a low tech planted tank without all that stuff, just some plant substrate such as eco-complete and an aquarium plant light, then get some easy plants like java fern, moss, and anacharis, and they will look equally nice over time, just grow slower. This is easier for beginners. I am actually setting up a third tank to be low tech with minimum equipment. Will checkout the store to see what they have over the weekend.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
They opened just as I was setting up a 10g tank as a b-day present for my daughter. I had most of what was needed: I had bought a tank for previous reptile guests, and had squirreled away a filter, light and heater the previous owners of our building had left in the basement 16 years ago. So I bought 3 guppies and a catfish there, for $3 apiece. He's not going to pay the rent on that! But they are very nice, and helpful, and the place is immaculate.

My wife is very loyal to Village Tropical and is mad at me for patronizing the new guy, but Village has got to clean up his act if he want's to stay in business, just like Downtown Hardware cleaned up theirs. Indifference to creating a customer friendly environment will not last in the face of competition.

JCGuy: Great tanks! do you have a CO2 feed for the plants? My cousin said it was very difficult to have enough fish to truly balance the gases in a tank without other problems arising.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Thanks for posting those. They do indeed look beautiful, but I?m set on a reef tank. I hear you though, I?ve been putting it off precisely because it is more expensive and complicated. But it?s not just the dazzling appearance that fascinates me, it?s also the way the bacteria-driven nitrogen cycle makes everything possible. There?s just so much going on in a reef tank that appeals to my aesthetic and scientific interests.

What?s the capacity of your larger tank, by the way?

The larger tank is 50 gallon, biocube is 14 gallon. The nitrogen cycle exists in both freshwater and saltwater, for saltwater liverock and sand is used as the medium for bacteria to do cycle. In planted freshwater it's more complicated - fish breaks down food into "poo", which is further broken down by shrimp & snails into ferts for the plants that absorb nitrate and the bad stuff and co2 to produce oxygen.

My friend has a reef tank, he spent 20k as initial investment, then about 10k a year to maintain it, though it's a 150 gallon. It is very very expensive to do a true reef with corals - all the equipments like lighting / power heads / skimmer / dosing etc.. needs to be top of the line. A fish only with live rock (fowlr) is much more forgiving and can get away with cheaper equipments.

Good luck post some photos when you can :)

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Naive question, but isn't this kind of a niche business for a neighborhood store? Particularly in a storefront that I can't imagine is that cheap.

I thought so as well, but I honestly have no idea how many people keep aquariums or what the markup is on this stuff. I wish him well though.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Naive question, but isn't this kind of a niche business for a neighborhood store? Particularly in a storefront that I can't imagine is that cheap.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting those. They do indeed look beautiful, but I?m set on a reef tank. I hear you though, I?ve been putting it off precisely because it is more expensive and complicated. But it?s not just the dazzling appearance that fascinates me, it?s also the way the bacteria-driven nitrogen cycle makes everything possible. There?s just so much going on in a reef tank that appeals to my aesthetic and scientific interests.

What?s the capacity of your larger tank, by the way?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As an aquarium addict, this is awesome i have to check it out and support the local business, the reviews said it has the good equipments and livestock, not the junks you usually find in lfs. Also dont go for a saltwater reef tank! Get a freshwater planted aquarium instead, they are absolutely gorgeous and much cheaper and easier to maintain. The first 2 photos are my aquariums, rest are some of the different styles of planted aquarium. The 2nd photo is the biocube you mentioned, btw tank is one of the cheapest items in an aquarium, you will see :) I spent close to $1000 on that small biocube alone and the tank only costed like <$200 Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I'll have to check this out with my daughter.

I hate to admit it but I'd rather be eating fish than watching them... I find it funny that Lee's was replaced by an aquarium. If they can't find enough buyers of fish as pets, can they change their business model and sell them to eat ;)

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Have I?!

Since they opened I?ve been doing a lot of research about what it would take to set up a small reef tank of mostly corals, with a few fish and invertebrates. Ever since I was a kid, I?ve found salt water tanks mesmerizing. These days, they're much easier to maintain since more is known about creating the proper habitat.

Now, I?m considering the Oceanic/Coralife Biocube 29 (29 gallons), and then adding a sump and protein skimmer as I stock it.

I found an excellent series of YouTube videos from Bulk Reef Supply in Minneapolis. They pretty much cover everything I needed to know to feel comfortable getting started.

If you want to see a ridiculous 1,350 gallon tank, search for ?Peter?s Fish Tank? on YouTube. It?s absolutely gorgeous, but damn, the expense and maintenance!

Very cool.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Have I?!

Since they opened I?ve been doing a lot of research about what it would take to set up a small reef tank of mostly corals, with a few fish and invertebrates. Ever since I was a kid, I?ve found salt water tanks mesmerizing. These days, they're much easier to maintain since more is known about creating the proper habitat.

Now, I?m considering the Oceanic/Coralife Biocube 29 (29 gallons), and then adding a sump and protein skimmer as I stock it.

I found an excellent series of YouTube videos from Bulk Reef Supply in Minneapolis. They pretty much cover everything I needed to know to feel comfortable getting started.

If you want to see a ridiculous 1,350 gallon tank, search for ?Peter?s Fish Tank? on YouTube. It?s absolutely gorgeous, but damn, the expense and maintenance!

Posted on: 2013/8/6 12:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017