Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Young workers take lead in Jersey City's anti-litter effort
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I see them down on WestSide & Mallory cleaning but I also notice a dude pushing a blue trashcan on wheels marked JCIA who don't clean dick on Mallory by McDonalds.
He hangs out for about 4hrs & this was before the new anti litter crew started.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/1609 ... I_ARTIISICL.html#TOPTITLE

Property owners are responsible for cleaning their property - sidewalks included, not JCIA's responsibility.

It is my responsibility to clean after the JCIA truck?

Really?! If the trash receptacle is in front of your property - you have every right to call and complain twice a week to get it cleaned up by them or the vendor who is hired to empty trash bin.
But if trash blows in "your" sidewalk area or if an inconsiderate person throws trash down on the sidewalk in front of your property you seemed to have the burden of cleaning it up according to municipal codes.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:

Property owners are responsible for cleaning their property - sidewalks included, not JCIA's responsibility.

It is my responsibility to clean after the JCIA truck?

Posted on: 2013/8/4 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/4 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop has enlisted 160 young people to help clean up city streets.

The "Stop the Drop" anti-litter campaign

Ok, let me translate this into plain English.

1. We have an Incinerator Authority.

2. The aforementioned authority now lists its tasks as: Collection and Disposal of Residential Solid Waste and Recycling Materials, Property Maintenance, Graffiti Removal, Mechanical Street Sweeping, Demolition, Environmental Compliance, Community and Private Container Services, Snow Plowing and Removal, the Car Pound and Environmental Education Services.

3. Somehow they don't do a good job picking up the garbage.

4. We do not fire them. We do not outsource this job to someone else.

5. We declare that picking up garbage is now a Campaign.

6. This Campaign hires a secondary group of people to do the job that we already given to the IA and paid for.

Nice.

I presume the next step will be a "War on Garbage", and we will create few more organizations charged with the task.

I understand this to mean that the solid waste removal agents (garbage men) are outsourced:
Through its contractor, Waste Management, JCIA is responsible for the collection and disposal of all residential and small store waste not exceeding six garbage cans per collection day. Curbside collection is provided twice a week, including holidays. (from JCIA website)

I'd like to see someone authorized to issue summons ride along on the garbage trucks from time to time and have citations issued to people who put trash out in open containers and flimsy grocery store bags. Also, bags of household garbage left in litter cans used to be opened periodically and if a name and address were found a citation was issued.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop has enlisted 160 young people to help clean up city streets.

2. The aforementioned authority now lists its tasks as: Collection and Disposal of Residential Solid Waste and Recycling Materials, Property Maintenance, Graffiti Removal, Mechanical Street Sweeping, Demolition, Environmental Compliance, Community and Private Container Services, Snow Plowing and Removal, the Car Pound and Environmental Education Services.

6. This Campaign hires a secondary group of people to do the job that we already given to the IA and paid for.

Nice.

I presume the next step will be a "War on Garbage", and we will create few more organizations charged with the task.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Nice.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 16:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/23 15:01
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

JCParentingUnit wrote:
Also, how about a phone number to call in a full trash can?

try this: http://seeclickfix.com/

What a great concept! I hope everyone who sees this thread registers with http://seeclickfix.com/ if they haven't already

:)

Posted on: 2013/8/3 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCParentingUnit wrote:
Also, how about a phone number to call in a full trash can?

try this: http://seeclickfix.com/

Posted on: 2013/8/3 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This is great, but part of the problem is the overgrown weeds sometimes at abandoned properties or landlords who ignore this problem. The city should also address this problem.

Did you not see the part in the article recognizing this exact point, where they said they will be rolling out an Adopt a Lot program to help improve this? I think also notifying the new Mayor's Action Bureau pointing out problem areas will also help this.

I think this will have a great impact on the general litter culture here in JC. Sure, integration at the schools & PSAs will also help reinforce the message. But re-educating these kids, giving them pride in the blocks they clean/work they do, and teaching them how a culture of littering effects the morale of a neighborhood is a HUGE step forward. One of the proponents of this idea - putting youth to work cleaning up - was a young mother from the projects. She was absolutely right - these kids need constructive ways to spend their time and do work they can take pride in. People complimenting them on their job is huge for many of these kids, who maybe have never received this sort of positive reinforcement.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This is great, but part of the problem is the overgrown weeds sometimes at abandoned properties or landlords who ignore this problem. The city should also address this problem.

I find a complaint/work order to the "Mayor's Action Bureau" aka, Resident Response Center, has always found a way to eventually get the weeds trimmed. With enough continuous complaints to the city, the property owners start to keep things trimmed on their own and save the cost of forking over money to the city when they cleaned it.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Littering is a family affair. Parents do it and their kids do it. I propose a simple anti-littering campaign be waged in every single school from kindergarten up to High School. A campaign woven into the curriculum DAY IN and DAY OUT for the next five years at least.

Also part of the campaign is accountability. You drop it you get a summons regardless of your age.

I asked the West District Police Captain last week why no one gets a ticket for littering and he looked at me like I had two heads.

Come now. Having kids getting a paycheck to clean up the streets is temporary window dressing to make the mayor look good. Let's get serious with a sustainable plan.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/3 2:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/5 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
It's great that young people are getting some work experience and getting the point about litter. Unfortunately, this doesn't Stop the Drop -- they're cleaning up the drop, which is still a good thing.

How do we as a city stop the drop in the first place? How do we encourage people to use public trash cans when they're all either full or non-existent?

Take photos of the litterbugs and post them on JClist?

In all seriousness, much of this kind of change starts with kids breaking the bad habits of their families. Perhaps these kids could go to schools telling about their experiences and teaching trash awareness.

Also, how about a phone number to call in a full trash can? Mayor Fulop should promise to personally come within 30 minutes and haul it away...queue the Simpson's song "the Garbage man can"...

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
It's great that young people are getting some work experience and getting the point about litter. Unfortunately, this doesn't Stop the Drop -- they're cleaning up the drop, which is still a good thing.

How do we as a city stop the drop in the first place? How do we encourage people to use public trash cans when they're all either full or non-existent?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 12:54

Young workers take lead in Jersey City's anti-litter effort
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Marli Horwitz/The Jersey Journal

The "Stop the Drop" anti-litter campaign isn't just keeping sidewalks and gutters more debris free, it's also putting some money in the pockets of the 16- to 19-years-olds who are participating in the campaign.

"They make a little money and they get to enjoy their summer, they get to have fun," said Ryan Strother, director of the city's Department of Recreation. "The young people are learning about anti-litter and how important it is."

The young people work three days a week and are deployed to all six of the city's wards. Each ward gets 10 to 12 young workers per day, officials said.

"We get calls to the recreation department complimenting the kids. The response from the community has been appreciative both for the cleaning, and for the mayor supplying positive activities for the youth," Strother said.

The young people are also turning into anti-litter hawks.

"I see people litter now and frown on it. And we tell them, we have to clean this up now," said Raekwon Allen, 17, who was cleaning up Carteret Avenue in Ward F.

"It's kind of like somebody trashing your room, that you just cleaned an hour ago," added Juan Ortiz, 19.

Lawrence Hicks, supervisor of the young city employees in The Heights, said Stop the Drop is "a true learning experience for these kids."

"This is bringing the city together," he added.

The Stop the Drop campaign will continue year-round in collaboration with businesses and civic organizations as well as Jersey City's Adopt-a-lot and Adopt-a-block programs.

Daily locations for the Stop the Drop crews can be found on the city's website, Facebook page, and Twitter handle.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 1:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017