Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Storefronts on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I hate driving, but the few times I took the train to an RU game stunk. Getting back to the train was a pretty walk and I just missed the train so I had to wait a long time for the next one.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
tommyc_37 wrote:
RU, I guess we just have different experiences and different preferences.

... Curious as to how it's cheaper to drive to Rutgers? It costs me I think $9 per way from Newark, which is a very simple transfer. With tolls, gas, and $20 to park how is it cheaper to drive? Door to door it takes me roughly 45 minutes to downtown New Brunswick, which is exactly how long it takes by car (without traffic).

Just when I got to this point, I turned to the Google maps, and asked to plot me a trip from "07302" to "Brunswick, NJ". The results are: 38 minute drive, 1h30m train - that is just to the train station. How do you get to the stadium from there?

And, how did you get it down to 45 minutes? Or was it just the train part without walking to and from the train in the wind?

Then, the cost. PATH is $1.9, and the train is, as you said, $9. So it is 10.9 total one way. The whole trip is going to be $21.8. Oh, wait, how do you get to the stadium from the train?

Now, the driving is 33 miles, at 20 miles per gallon, $3.3 gas, Turnpike tolls are 4.35 peak, 3.2 off-peak, so it is $17.3 - $19.6 both ways. That leaves parking, - but that does not have to be $20.

Quote:
tommyc_37 wrote:
Added bonus is taking the train with friends and drinking beer on the train, both to and fro the game.

No argument there.

Quote:
tommyc_37 wrote:
As for tailgating gear, what do you bring? My contribution is 1-2 six packs of beer, easily carryable. For homecoming last year I also brought a moderately sized foil tray of slow cooked pork loin.

Who brings the heavy staff? I presume the rest of your crew do also use the train, no? Tables? Chairs? Grill? Or do you just stand around in a circle and drink cold beer with the cold pork you hold in your hands?

Quote:
tommyc_37 wrote:
And how about post-game? Very best case scenario you tack on 30 minutes to your commute back. Big games, add one hour. This coming season will be a sh*tshow for people driving, with all the high profile games. So aggravating. Sooo easy and enjoyable to take the train.

How much time do you spend waiting for a train after a game? And, also, where exactly do you wait and how's the weather?

Ah, wait, how do you get to the train from the stadium? And, from the train to your house? After the warm train and all the beer, - do you step in the rain and cold and keep thinking "how lucky I am not to be in the car right now!"

Posted on: 2014/2/2 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
RU In Hamilton Park - It is okay to own a car! It's okay! Don't feel badly or have the need to justify, it's just okay! I own one too! I love living in JC. I also love other parts of the world too and really really enjoy driving!

Posted on: 2014/2/1 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Anyone know if there are guidelines for store signage on Newark Avenue within the HDSID? I am curious because the sign on the new hair salon next to the frozen yogurt store seems very inappropriate to me.

Inappropriate how?

Protruding from facade and occupying a very large % of facade.

Also, it is much 'louder' than the two other new ones - Word and Yogurt.

You forgot to mention how fugly it is

Posted on: 2014/2/1 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Anyone know if there are guidelines for store signage on Newark Avenue within the HDSID? I am curious because the sign on the new hair salon next to the frozen yogurt store seems very inappropriate to me.

Inappropriate how?

Protruding from facade and occupying a very large % of facade.

Also, it is much 'louder' than the two other new ones - Word and Yogurt.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Inappropriate how?

Posted on: 2014/2/1 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/2/1 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I gotta agree with tommyc_37 on this. Not owning a car and using public transportation has been the most liberating experience of my life. Is it slightly inconvenient sometimes? Sure. But no gas, insurance, maintenance, parking, insane drivers.....on balance, best decision I've ever made.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
RU, I guess we just have different experiences and different preferences.

I go to all of the Rutgers home games as well, and I take the train and am blown away by how convenient it is (I also meet up with friends to tailgate at Busch). Curious as to how it's cheaper to drive to Rutgers? It costs me I think $9 per way from Newark, which is a very simple transfer. With tolls, gas, and $20 to park how is it cheaper to drive? Door to door it takes me roughly 45 minutes to downtown New Brunswick, which is exactly how long it takes by car (without traffic). Added bonus is taking the train with friends and drinking beer on the train, both to and fro the game. As for tailgating gear, what do you bring? My contribution is 1-2 six packs of beer, easily carryable. For homecoming last year I also brought a moderately sized foil tray of slow cooked pork loin. And how about post-game? Very best case scenario you tack on 30 minutes to your commute back. Big games, add one hour. This coming season will be a sh*tshow for people driving, with all the high profile games. So aggravating. Sooo easy and enjoyable to take the train.

I used to take the train to the beach pretty often. Maybe it's just a preference, but again I'd rather sit by the window of the train, watch the world go by, or close my eyes and listen to the wheels on the tracks.

Maybe my preferences boil down to this - I'd rather spend a little more time relaxing, sleeping, or drinking beer in peace on a train than being trapped in a vehicle in traffic. A second HUGE reason I enjoy public transit is the safety over driving. People are CRAZY on the road, dude. Bad accidents happen all the time. My likelihood of dying on a train is basically zero; in a car, exponentially higher.

Efficiency is nice, and efficiency is what you SOMETIMES get with a car, but sitting on a train and watching the world go by, and people watching, and interacting with people (even conductors) is a very human experience. We've become such a nation of angry people zooming around in their angry and dangerous little cars, sitting in stifling traffic, giving each other the finger. It's just a pretty shitty way to exist. I used to live that way, but I honestly feel like I have seen the light - don't laugh, LOL. It's very, very liberating...I think others on this very message board have said the same thing.

To each his own, for sure. I think because you drive on a daily basis for work, you are probably more prone to a driving lifestyle in general. I have done both. Without knowing your industry, my advice is to seek a higher paying job in Manhattan or JC. With the exception of only a few industries, there is a higher number of jobs in Manhattan (and higher paying) than anywhere in NJ.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I would consider Washington St in Hoboken or the Green in Morristown a model. Increasingly the part of George St between New and Albany in New Brunswick (but that does have a CH Martin- but just ONE discount store).

The problem isn't A discount store it's that there are so many. Do we really need 3-4 within a 3-4 block span?

And re: traffic, if you cut off Newark St permanently it will push people onto side streets that are mostly residential (aside from Jersey Ave). All of those streets are already backed up.

You can't just pretend like JC off and left for Germany and public transportation is good, cheap, and plentiful. If you live in JC and want to go somewhere not with PATH access, or any place not near an NJT train station...you are SOL. Why this board pretends like the Sbahn awaits instead of the 35 minutes apart PATH and not much better HBLR is mystifying.

RU - I go almost EVERYWHERE with public transit, including a very large number of suburban areas in NY & NJ. Public transit IS pretty good, definitely pretty cheap (often cheaper than driving), and fairly plentiful. Can you give an example of a place you are trying to go? Rural areas are hard to get to by public transit but I imagine it is the same way in Germany.

It took me years after moving to JC to make the shift. It's more of a mindset shift than anything. Much of my upbringing was suburban and the mindset in that environment is very clearly "Oh, I have to go somewhere that is not within 100 feet - let's hop in the car!".

Once I started working in Manhattan again, I slowly realized that a car was so much more of a hassle than a convenience. If I recall, you work in the suburbs. I too worked in the suburbs for about 1 year when I first moved to JC - I hated the lifestyle. Hudson County is a terrible area to have to drive to, from, or within.

When I first moved to JC I did so because I was working in lower Manhattan. 2 years later, I got offered a job with a pay raise and much more sophisticated work in Morris County. Trust me, I don't like the traffic, nor do I like the near usurious car insurance bill.

My office is about three miles from the nearest NJT train station. There are no bus stops around here to my knowledge.

My parents (and pretty much my entire family) lives in Monmouth County. My parents live closest to mass transit- which is a 20 minute ride to the train station, and probably about 1.5 miles to the bus stop. Bear in mind, the bus from JC only runs there at rush hours times during the week. No bus runs from JC or Hoboken on the weekend. I typically visit at least once a month. If I go visit my relatives in other spots, they live several miles from the bus and train. I'd have to loop into Manhattan or ask my parents to shlep 20 minutes each way to get me.

I often rent a shore house in Belmar, which is about 15 minute walk to the train. However, the train takes about double the time that it does to drive, because I'd have to transfer at Secaucus or Newark, and then the train inexplicably stops at Long Branch for a long duration. I also make other trips to the beach in the summer and face the problem. It's also more expensive.

I tailgate 7+ home games a year (including spring game this year) for Rutgers. The lot is on Busch. This would require another Newark or Secaucus transfer plus a switch to the Rutgers bus (and carrying tailgaiting supplies). It's also more expensive.

Then, I usually take a handful of road trips every year, Boston, Montreal and Ocean City Maryland among the destinations. I go to Atlantic City a few times a year. Mass transit to those places costs more, and takes more time than gassing up my car. With RU going to the B1G, I will likely be adding in a trip each year to State College or College Park.

If I wasn't going to work in the burbs...I might consider a heavy zipcar subscription (taking into account insurance and gas, it come close to wash from what I have seen but my investigation has been cursory). However, I would still have to drive and really don't want to make coming in and out of town more unpleasant than it already is.

I walk to bars, restaurants, supermarkets (I do drive to Trader Joes on my way home from work sometimes), the mall, friends' places...I take the PATH if I can, I took the train to a Jets game (which probably took close to an hour each direction which goes to show the act NJT has). I haven't driven into NYC in years. I have sat in 33rd and 9th street for seeming hours late at night waiting.

I just don't think you can expect those of us in JC who have some life in more suburban NJ (which makes a up a ton of downtowners) to sacrifice it when NJT and PATH make it quite unpleasant to do so. Christie has been frankly antagonistic towards making service better or cheaper, nevermind the PA.

I'm with you- it's just not practical in 2014 NJ.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Vindication, I never personally attack, but man you're being a real douche. Please give it a rest.

I feel like being called a carpetbag deserved a response

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Vindication, I never personally attack, but man you're being a real douche. Please give it a rest.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Shouldn't we let capitalism run it's coarse? If there isn't a market for these discount store in Newark ave THEY WILL GO UNDER!

Yes, we should and yes, they will go under. I give it another few years and another mass recall.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
One thing that no one considers is that even the higher income households in downtown JC were often originally motivated to move to the area in part due to affordability and thus don't necessarily look down on all the discount stores.

My household is above the median income and we still shop at the dollar stores. Stuff like holiday gift bags, basic kitchen items like dishtowels (so once they get grody after a few months there's no guilt tossing them), materials for craft projects, etc. - we go to the dollar store first.

I don't know how typical we are of the demographics who shop there. But not everyone who moves in to the neighborhood wants it to change to some luxury playground. Look at how that worked out for Manhattan under Bloomberg, or how homogeneous Hoboken has gotten. Plenty of people are moving to JC to get away from all that, not recreate it here.

If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids.

I make above the median income. I have no children. I just bought a clothing rack on Newark Ave for about half of what Bed Bath & Beyond is charging.

I am deeply sorry if that offends you.

It does not offend me. You are just preventing your neighborhood from progressing and developing, that is all.

Yeah, no.

If you've moved here just to watch your investment triple in a few years' time, on the backs of the working-class people who MADE this city, perhaps you've brought your carpetbag to the wrong place.

Yeah, those people who bought townhomes in '80s for 50k have seen their investment more than quadruple in value. Did they not benefit for staying? gtfo about "people who made this city" Who made this city? It's the new luxury developments, new businesses, new parks, nyc transplants that have MADE JC, specifically DTJC, into an almost 6th borough and put JC ON ANY MAP.

You think those 99 cent and cheapo stores, the century old homeless guy with his wife in a cart, the graffiti "artists" who have desecrated private property, the violence that permeates GV and BL MADE THIS CITY? rofl, yes, those have made this city into a joke.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
One thing that no one considers is that even the higher income households in downtown JC were often originally motivated to move to the area in part due to affordability and thus don't necessarily look down on all the discount stores.

My household is above the median income and we still shop at the dollar stores. Stuff like holiday gift bags, basic kitchen items like dishtowels (so once they get grody after a few months there's no guilt tossing them), materials for craft projects, etc. - we go to the dollar store first.

I don't know how typical we are of the demographics who shop there. But not everyone who moves in to the neighborhood wants it to change to some luxury playground. Look at how that worked out for Manhattan under Bloomberg, or how homogeneous Hoboken has gotten. Plenty of people are moving to JC to get away from all that, not recreate it here.

If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids.

I make above the median income. I have no children. I just bought a clothing rack on Newark Ave for about half of what Bed Bath & Beyond is charging.

It does not offend me. You are just preventing your neighborhood from progressing and developing, that is all.

Yeah, no.

If you've moved here just to watch your investment triple in a few years' time, on the backs of the working-class people who MADE this city, perhaps you've brought your carpetbag to the wrong place.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Shouldn't we let capitalism run it's coarse? If there isn't a market for these discount store in Newark ave THEY WILL GO UNDER!

Posted on: 2014/1/31 2:01
ಠ_ಠ

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
But - if the discount stores go away, where am I going to get my Whip-Its?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I was on Washington St last week and was surprised how unattractive it is. There are more and more chains popping up and so many real estate offices, I can't imagine how there's enough business for all of them. It's also nearly impossible to find a restaurant on that street that isn't a delivery place or filled with TVs. I know there are interesting gems off the beaten track, but I'd much rather see Newark become something of a hybrid of Park Slope's 5th and 7th Aves.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I would consider Washington St in Hoboken or the Green in Morristown a model. Increasingly the part of George St between New and Albany in New Brunswick (but that does have a CH Martin- but just ONE discount store).

The problem isn't A discount store it's that there are so many. Do we really need 3-4 within a 3-4 block span?

And re: traffic, if you cut off Newark St permanently it will push people onto side streets that are mostly residential (aside from Jersey Ave). All of those streets are already backed up.

You can't just pretend like JC off and left for Germany and public transportation is good, cheap, and plentiful. If you live in JC and want to go somewhere not with PATH access, or any place not near an NJT train station...you are SOL. Why this board pretends like the Sbahn awaits instead of the 35 minutes apart PATH and not much better HBLR is mystifying.

RU - I go almost EVERYWHERE with public transit, including a very large number of suburban areas in NY & NJ. Public transit IS pretty good, definitely pretty cheap (often cheaper than driving), and fairly plentiful. Can you give an example of a place you are trying to go? Rural areas are hard to get to by public transit but I imagine it is the same way in Germany.

It took me years after moving to JC to make the shift. It's more of a mindset shift than anything. Much of my upbringing was suburban and the mindset in that environment is very clearly "Oh, I have to go somewhere that is not within 100 feet - let's hop in the car!".

Once I started working in Manhattan again, I slowly realized that a car was so much more of a hassle than a convenience. If I recall, you work in the suburbs. I too worked in the suburbs for about 1 year when I first moved to JC - I hated the lifestyle. Hudson County is a terrible area to have to drive to, from, or within.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

That's not the point of making purchases, dummy.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Just out of curiosity, what do people here consider "model" neighborhoods or main drags?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Maybe Hoboken would be a better fit for you? One of the most frequently touted positives about Jersey City is its diversity. Whether it be racial or socioeconomical, you meet awesome people of all walks of life here every day. Getting rid of all the stores that long time natives (and thrifty transplants) enjoy frequenting is a sure-fire way to turn us into Hoboken 2.0.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

As I said before your definition of progress isn't the same as mine. You can claim that I am preventing home values from increasing faster because the retail strip is not desirable enough to the high end set - that is fair and probably true. I like living in a diverse neighborhood, in terms of race, culture, and yes socioeconomics. I hope that would be true even if I became a millionaire or billionaire.

I agree, we are using different metrics. I like my metric better though - I think it is more objective.

I own in DTJC so I am waiting for a 80% or more increase in value from when I bought in 2010 OR for DTJC to become Hoboken 2.0 - whichever comes first.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe Hoboken would be a better fit for you? One of the most frequently touted positives about Jersey City is its diversity. Whether it be racial or socioeconomical, you meet awesome people of all walks of life here every day. Getting rid of all the stores that long time natives (and thrifty transplants) enjoy frequenting is a sure-fire way to turn us into Hoboken 2.0.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

As I said before your definition of progress isn't the same as mine. You can claim that I am preventing home values from increasing faster because the retail strip is not desirable enough to the high end set - that is fair and probably true. I like living in a diverse neighborhood, in terms of race, culture, and yes socioeconomics. I hope that would be true even if I became a millionaire or billionaire.

I agree, we are using different metrics. I like my metric better though - I think it is more objective.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids which then I understand.

The truth wouldn?t be such a bitter pill to swallow if you weren?t so comically superficial.

Ha! +1, Frank!!

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids which then I understand.

The truth wouldn?t be such a bitter pill to swallow if you weren?t so comically superficial.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Before we were above median income my partner and I were broke as hell for years. We survived fairly well on 1/3 of what we bring in right now (albeit in a cheaper area than this). Old habits die hard and remaining thrifty means more money to save, invest, travel with, and buy property with.

VIVA LA 99 CENT STORES!

Oh yeah, no kids except one fur kid (who gets dollar store toys for Christmas).

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:55

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017