Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Storefronts on Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
One thing that no one considers is that even the higher income households in downtown JC were often originally motivated to move to the area in part due to affordability and thus don't necessarily look down on all the discount stores.

My household is above the median income and we still shop at the dollar stores. Stuff like holiday gift bags, basic kitchen items like dishtowels (so once they get grody after a few months there's no guilt tossing them), materials for craft projects, etc. - we go to the dollar store first.

I don't know how typical we are of the demographics who shop there. But not everyone who moves in to the neighborhood wants it to change to some luxury playground. Look at how that worked out for Manhattan under Bloomberg, or how homogeneous Hoboken has gotten. Plenty of people are moving to JC to get away from all that, not recreate it here.

If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids.

I make above the median income. I have no children. I just bought a clothing rack on Newark Ave for about half of what Bed Bath & Beyond is charging.

I am deeply sorry if that offends you.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
pulEEEze. there are plenty of people that make well over $500K that shop at the dollar stores...and see no shame in doing so. why spend $5-$6 for a tube of toothpaste when a tube of toothpaste from chile will do just fine

Posted on: 2014/1/30 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
One thing that no one considers is that even the higher income households in downtown JC were often originally motivated to move to the area in part due to affordability and thus don't necessarily look down on all the discount stores.

My household is above the median income and we still shop at the dollar stores. Stuff like holiday gift bags, basic kitchen items like dishtowels (so once they get grody after a few months there's no guilt tossing them), materials for craft projects, etc. - we go to the dollar store first.

I don't know how typical we are of the demographics who shop there. But not everyone who moves in to the neighborhood wants it to change to some luxury playground. Look at how that worked out for Manhattan under Bloomberg, or how homogeneous Hoboken has gotten. Plenty of people are moving to JC to get away from all that, not recreate it here.

If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids which then I understand.

Calling Hoboken Homogenous is a subjective statement. Want to know what is a factual statement. Their home prices beats DTJC's home prices:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hoboken-New-Jersey.html

Hoboken: Mean prices in 2011: All housing units: $532,962; Detached houses: $659,639; Townhouses or other attached units: $804,041; In 2-unit structures: $728,171; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $586,025; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $408,296

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Downtown-Jersey-City-NJ.html

DTJC 2010: Detached houses: $298,823; Townhouses or other attached units: $560,558; In 2-unit structures: $531,024; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $372,236; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $309,972

And some people would prefer to sacrifice home value for the type of neighborhood they live in. Perhaps you wouldn't, but clearly, others would.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

If you are above the median income in DTJC, which is 100k and you are shopping at a 99 cent store, then either you are lying about your income or you have 8 kids which then I understand.

Calling Hoboken Homogenous is a subjective statement. Want to know what is a factual statement. Their home prices beats DTJC's home prices:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hoboken-New-Jersey.html

Hoboken: Mean prices in 2011: All housing units: $532,962; Detached houses: $659,639; Townhouses or other attached units: $804,041; In 2-unit structures: $728,171; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $586,025; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $408,296

DTJC 2010: Detached houses: $298,823; Townhouses or other attached units: $560,558; In 2-unit structures: $531,024; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $372,236; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $309,972

Posted on: 2014/1/30 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
someone should open a video store (with a fantasyland section for adults) on newark

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Why does the main part of the city need so many discount stores?

Just in case you didn't know dtjc is a destination spot for many who don't live down there.

I have many neighbors who take the lightrail on Saturday morning and go dtjc to shop for groceries or hit the mall. Which I think is idiotic since you are a few stops away from NYC but that's me.

Many people who do not live dtjc have been shopping dtjc for years sometimes 2 or 3 generations. I have said it once and I will say it again, if you are making over 70k a year you are a minority here in JC. People who shop dtjc make from 18k to 40k a year and that is why they continue to shop at discount stores all around the city.

This is why Trader Joe's or WF wont step foot here because the reality is we have more poor folks than not so poor folks.

RUHamilton - Because change doesn't happen overnight. But the trend is obvious, as the leases run out, we'll continue to see less and less of these discount store on Newark Ave.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Some grade A toothpaste:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/ ... 07-06-14-1420169145_x.htm

Eat off of some of those dishes user recommends:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/6548369 ... dangerous-for-your-health

After dinner, have your child play with some of those toys from your local 99 cent store:

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/16340907/n ... vestigates-dangerous-toys

Posted on: 2014/1/30 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Just in case you didn't know dtjc is a destination spot for many who don't live down there.

I have many neighbors who take the lightrail on Saturday morning and go dtjc to shop for groceries or hit the mall. Which I think is idiotic since you are a few stops away from NYC but that's me.

Many people who do not live dtjc have been shopping dtjc for years sometimes 2 or 3 generations. I have said it once and I will say it again, if you are making over 70k a year you are a minority here in JC. People who shop dtjc make from 18k to 40k a year and that is why they continue to shop at discount stores all around the city.

This is why Trader Joe's or WF wont step foot here because the reality is we have more poor folks than not so poor folks.

Another great idea from user111. Design DTJC for those who don't live in DTJC. Why doesn't saks fifth avenue in manhattan open up some discount stores for those who live in the south bronx? Give me a break.

dtjc median income is 100k. FACT:

The truth is, these 99 cent stores will close down, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. And as I have said before, every single day, more and more of REAL businesses move in the area and these stores which do nothing but bring my property values down, close down.

Also, it doesn't make sense that those in GV or Bl would come to DTJC to shop at discount stores. That's like someone from NY traveling all the way to California to eat at a McDonalds. Give me a break...

Posted on: 2014/1/30 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I think the Fri/Sat option is a good one. During the week there is too much traffic. Maybe even do it periodically to test it first.

Grove is southbound only. Are there really that many people, driving, that are going from Barrow Street intersection of Newark Ave, east on Newark Ave, to then go south on Grove Street? Why wouldn't they just continue - one block - to Columbus to get to where they are going to points east and south? It almost makes no sense to NOT have that section of Newark Ave as pedestrian-only.

I believe there is a plan to try it out if/when they have to put in the elevator at the PATH and construction takes up part of the plaza. I think the idea is to move the Farmer's market etc to Newark if they don't have the space because of construction.

I don't see why they would wait. It's the most useless stretch of street downtown.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

And yet Newark is going to get a Whole Foods.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I think the Fri/Sat option is a good one. During the week there is too much traffic. Maybe even do it periodically to test it first.

There is a dollar store at the mall. There is Target. There are bajillion discount places in the Heights.

Grove is southbound only. Are there really that many people, driving, that are going from Barrow Street intersection of Newark Ave, east on Newark Ave, to then go south on Grove Street? Why wouldn't they just continue - one block - to Columbus to get to where they are going to points east and south? It almost makes no sense to NOT have that section of Newark Ave as pedestrian-only.

There is too much focus on vehicular traffic. If it becomes an increasing pain in the ass to drive to Jersey City, then people who once opted to drive will opt to take mass transit. When more people rely on mass transit, mass transit improves.

Ability to drive headache-free WITHIN a city does not make a city a good city. Making a city a breeze to drive within, makes that city become Charlotte. Or Phoenix. Or Orlando. Or (insert lame sunbelt city here).

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

There is a dollar store at the mall. There is Target. There are bajillion discount places in the Heights.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Here is why 99 cents store are so popular..

Dollar stores lure us in with rock-bottom prices. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but often the things they sell are good products at a tremendous discount ? a real bargain.

Watch the video of ?Definitely Buy These 15 Things at a Dollar Store? on MoneyTalksNews.com.

1. Greeting cards

There is no reason to spend $4 to $5 or more on a greeting card when dollar stores typically have a wide selection available for a buck or less. You might not get textured paper or fancy extras like ribbon, but the heartfelt message you write will be the same regardless of how expensive the card looks.

2. Party supplies

By some estimates, you can save up to 70 percent by using party supplies from a dollar store. Get plastic tablecloths, paper plates and cups, streamers and favors from the dollar store and save a bundle. Don?t forget to look for Mylar/foil balloons too. These are an absolute bargain and can easily sell for five times as much elsewhere.

3. Gift bags, boxes and wrapping paper

While you?re getting your party supplies, look for gift bags and wrapping paper too. You could end up paying two or three times more for gift bags and boxes at other stores. In addition, wrapping paper can be a steal. You might not get the same thickness of expensive paper, but for something that?s going to end up in the trash, why pay more?

4. Seasonal d?cor

From extra ornaments for your Christmas tree to a scarecrow to stake in your front yard for the fall, dollar stores can have a surprisingly robust selection of seasonal d?cor. Pick up some bargain-priced items to decorate your house for less. But stay away from holiday lights, which have a poor track record of safety at discount stores.

5. Reading glasses

As we age, we often lose elasticity in our eyes and that makes it more difficult to focus on close objects. In many cases, a simple pair of reading glasses is all you need, and the reading glasses at dollar stores are as good as those found in other stores. However, if you have trouble seeing at a distance, it may be time to schedule an eye exam and see about getting a prescription pair.

6. Hair accessories

From elastic bands to bobby pins to headbands, you can find hair accessories at a fraction of the price at dollar stores. Combs and brushes can be a bargain too.

7. Pregnancy tests

Grocery store pregnancy tests will set you back $10 to $15, but you can find them at some dollar stores for only a buck. You might be wondering whether a $1 pregnancy test is going to be accurate. That?s a good question and, according to this news report, the answer is yes.

8. Vases and decorative bowls

Buy These Things at a Dollar StorePlay videoBuy These Things at a Dollar Store
Don?t bother with other stores for vases and decorative bowls. The dollar store probably carries a number of styles at a price that can?t be beat. You can use vases to skip the florist and make your own, much cheaper arrangements. Or spruce up decorative glass bowls to make inexpensive gifts for family or friends.

9. Mugs and glasses

Like vases and bowls, mugs and glasses are also a good buy at dollar stores. The quality is comparable to what you might get at Walmart or other mass merchandisers. As a bonus, you can typically buy only the items you need rather than being forced to purchase a set.

10. Dishware

Dollar stores also often have a nice selection of open stock dishware. This isn?t going to be top-of-the-line quality, but they?re perfectly serviceable pieces. For those with little kids, dollar store dishes can be just what you need to get you through that phase of life when something seems to get broken in the kitchen on a weekly basis.

11. Storage containers

Plastic storage containers also get a thumbs up when it comes to great dollar store buys. In the grocery store, you can easily pay up to $5 for disposable containers. Get them for a buck at the dollar store instead. You can also find some great deals on storage bags, but be wary of off-brands that may not seal correctly.

12. Picture frames

If you?re crafty, dollar store picture frames are an excellent buy. With a little paint or other decoration, bargain frames can look as nice on your walls as their more expensive counterparts. However, quality can vary widely. Check the joints to make sure they are secure and look for stray glue that may be difficult to remove.

13. Bagged or boxed candy

Checkout lane candy will likely be just as cheap, if not cheaper, at the grocery store, but movie theater-style boxed candy and bagged candy can be a bargain at the dollar store. Next Halloween, head there for your treats rather than paying supermarket prices.

14. Socks

Much of the clothing you find at dollar stores is of an inferior quality and not worth the money. One exception may be socks. Dollar store socks can be as good as department store varieties if you buy the right type. Look for ones made with acrylic or spandex for a comfy fit.

15. Washcloths and dish towels

Finally, the price of washcloths and dish towels at the dollar store can?t be beat. You need to be careful with some towels that won?t be absorbent enough to dry dishes. However, even those work great as cleaning rags.

rofl. okay if you want lead in these things.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Leave my 99cent and CH Martin alone!

I don't have any real problem with them either, but I'd stay away from the suggestions previously posted about buying food storage or dinnerware. Also, make sure any toiletries don't say: Not for sale in the USA. I've seen toothpaste with that warning.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Leave my 99cent and CH Martin alone!

Posted on: 2014/1/28 4:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
I like all the shops in Newark Ave. They have the old/new vibe.

I would rather have Trader Joe's then crappy Whole Foods.
FYI.. You know the food you eat at WF, which are actually made from recently "Expired" veggies / fruits /cans.. According to Former CEO of TJ. Cough.. there's a WF sucker born everyday. Also, FYI you know that organic meat you're eating, does it bother you that.. to keep it "organic" the cow/chicken/pig/duck can have abscesses all over their body etc. but they keep it alive till they cut it all up for the sake of being "Organic"

Back to the main topic, I like the change in DTJC but hope it expands out to Journal Square etc or further down Grand across the 78. There is always room to grow, change. I love that there is an Asian Supermarket in Hudson Mall now, That area will def. Change!

Posted on: 2014/1/28 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Yeah I just snagged a cheap but effective garbage can from CH Martin. Would have been twice the price at Shoprite or a similar store.

Sweet! I wish C.H. MARTIN sold online.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I just snagged a cheap but effective garbage can from CH Martin. Would have been twice the price at Shoprite or a similar store.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is why 99 cents store are so popular..

Dollar stores lure us in with rock-bottom prices. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but often the things they sell are good products at a tremendous discount ? a real bargain.

Watch the video of ?Definitely Buy These 15 Things at a Dollar Store? on MoneyTalksNews.com.

1. Greeting cards

There is no reason to spend $4 to $5 or more on a greeting card when dollar stores typically have a wide selection available for a buck or less. You might not get textured paper or fancy extras like ribbon, but the heartfelt message you write will be the same regardless of how expensive the card looks.

2. Party supplies

By some estimates, you can save up to 70 percent by using party supplies from a dollar store. Get plastic tablecloths, paper plates and cups, streamers and favors from the dollar store and save a bundle. Don?t forget to look for Mylar/foil balloons too. These are an absolute bargain and can easily sell for five times as much elsewhere.

3. Gift bags, boxes and wrapping paper

While you?re getting your party supplies, look for gift bags and wrapping paper too. You could end up paying two or three times more for gift bags and boxes at other stores. In addition, wrapping paper can be a steal. You might not get the same thickness of expensive paper, but for something that?s going to end up in the trash, why pay more?

4. Seasonal d?cor

From extra ornaments for your Christmas tree to a scarecrow to stake in your front yard for the fall, dollar stores can have a surprisingly robust selection of seasonal d?cor. Pick up some bargain-priced items to decorate your house for less. But stay away from holiday lights, which have a poor track record of safety at discount stores.

5. Reading glasses

As we age, we often lose elasticity in our eyes and that makes it more difficult to focus on close objects. In many cases, a simple pair of reading glasses is all you need, and the reading glasses at dollar stores are as good as those found in other stores. However, if you have trouble seeing at a distance, it may be time to schedule an eye exam and see about getting a prescription pair.

6. Hair accessories

From elastic bands to bobby pins to headbands, you can find hair accessories at a fraction of the price at dollar stores. Combs and brushes can be a bargain too.

7. Pregnancy tests

Grocery store pregnancy tests will set you back $10 to $15, but you can find them at some dollar stores for only a buck. You might be wondering whether a $1 pregnancy test is going to be accurate. That?s a good question and, according to this news report, the answer is yes.

8. Vases and decorative bowls

Buy These Things at a Dollar StorePlay videoBuy These Things at a Dollar Store
Don?t bother with other stores for vases and decorative bowls. The dollar store probably carries a number of styles at a price that can?t be beat. You can use vases to skip the florist and make your own, much cheaper arrangements. Or spruce up decorative glass bowls to make inexpensive gifts for family or friends.

9. Mugs and glasses

Like vases and bowls, mugs and glasses are also a good buy at dollar stores. The quality is comparable to what you might get at Walmart or other mass merchandisers. As a bonus, you can typically buy only the items you need rather than being forced to purchase a set.

10. Dishware

Dollar stores also often have a nice selection of open stock dishware. This isn?t going to be top-of-the-line quality, but they?re perfectly serviceable pieces. For those with little kids, dollar store dishes can be just what you need to get you through that phase of life when something seems to get broken in the kitchen on a weekly basis.

11. Storage containers

Plastic storage containers also get a thumbs up when it comes to great dollar store buys. In the grocery store, you can easily pay up to $5 for disposable containers. Get them for a buck at the dollar store instead. You can also find some great deals on storage bags, but be wary of off-brands that may not seal correctly.

12. Picture frames

If you?re crafty, dollar store picture frames are an excellent buy. With a little paint or other decoration, bargain frames can look as nice on your walls as their more expensive counterparts. However, quality can vary widely. Check the joints to make sure they are secure and look for stray glue that may be difficult to remove.

13. Bagged or boxed candy

Checkout lane candy will likely be just as cheap, if not cheaper, at the grocery store, but movie theater-style boxed candy and bagged candy can be a bargain at the dollar store. Next Halloween, head there for your treats rather than paying supermarket prices.

14. Socks

Much of the clothing you find at dollar stores is of an inferior quality and not worth the money. One exception may be socks. Dollar store socks can be as good as department store varieties if you buy the right type. Look for ones made with acrylic or spandex for a comfy fit.

15. Washcloths and dish towels

Finally, the price of washcloths and dish towels at the dollar store can?t be beat. You need to be careful with some towels that won?t be absorbent enough to dry dishes. However, even those work great as cleaning rags.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
You don't even need to go into the ground with trees, Tommy. Warren street, in Tribeca, has a few blocks with decent sized trees in concrete planters. They also plant a variety of flowers and other plants in them at the base of the trees. The planters (quite large - probably 4' x 4') are so full and attractive that they don't seem to end up becoming trash cans, the way a lot of these things do. The key is to actively maintain the planters.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
As Mooby implied, there really isn't much of a reason to keep it open to vehicular traffic, and the upside of making it a pedestrian mall is very high -- IF, done right. The caveat to that statement is, I don't have a ton of faith that Jersey City would execute it really well.

Here is a major potential advantage of making Newark Ave a pedestrian mall. As it currently stands, trees cannot be placed along Newark Ave because there are "vaults" underneath the sidewalks, on both sides, and these "vaults" (I still actually don't understand what they are exactly) cannot be disturbed by tree roots. So essentially, this is a BIG part of why Newark Ave is just kind of...ugly. A tree every 20 feet, on both sides of the street, would enhance the aesthetics so much.

I'm not certain, but I think, that the vaults are only under the sidewalks. If this is correct, in theory if Newark Ave was a pedestrian mall, trees could be planted sporadically throughout the area that is currently asphalt road. In my pie in the sky vision in my head, I envision reclaimed cobblestones paving what is now roadway, with trees uniformly lined on both sides of the street.

It would look awesome. It looks awesome in my head, anyway!

But even if JC was to implement such a project, my bet would be that they spec some sort of cheap stamped concrete/stamped brick a la the crosswalks throughout downtown. Or, the slate that is placed in Grove Plaza that is literally crumbling, and has been crumbling since about the 6th month after the install.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, with all the new development, people will surely want a place to see and be seen....a Red Square, una rambla or whatever

Posted on: 2013/10/15 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
One of the authors in that Times piece makes a great point - successful pedestrian malls have been created in places that had a pre-existing vibrant street life (Times Square, Boulder, etc.). We haven't reached that kind of critical mass on Newark Avenue yet. The Grove Triangle works because there are big numbers of people coming and going to PATH.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when the naysayers said that the stretch of Newark (in front of Duane Reade/Grove Pointe) should be kept open...boy were they wrong.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 13:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/27 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I second making Newark from Erie to Grove a pedestrian zone

I'm pretty sure this already has been confirmed to be the plan.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The reality is that stretch of road is just not that well traveled and making the right onto Barrow or Jersey if you're heading East isn't much different making a right on Grove, except you have one less light to deal with.

NYC has been very successful creating pedestrian spaces, and it has increased sales for most of the businesses in the pedestrian areas. Most places in DTJC are not relying on car traffic for their customers. Once someone gets in a car in DTJC they are likely heading somewhere else.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be curious to know what percentage of people who frequent that section of Newark to go to Skinnners Loft, Roman Nose, Savoy Optical, Sawadee, H&R Block actually drive cars there as opposed to walking or taking public transportation like path or bus. The only municipal lot I know of is the one up by Box. And as someone said earlier the imposition would be perhaps just Friday to Sunday

Posted on: 2013/10/15 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, cutting off one of the VERY few east-west connections from downtown to JSQ is NOT a good idea. Itll just further clog up Montgomery which is really the only other way up there, and will make a lot of businesses suffer which would receive drive by shoppers to go elsewhere. If anything, the city needs more streets to be opened up with wider sidewalks so that restaurants can have seating areas outside.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 11:51

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017