Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Community Policing/Broken Windows/QoL Enforcement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City gets $1.9 million to expand community policing

Oct 06, 2016 

JERSEY CITY -- U.S. Senators Bob Menendez and Cory Booker, and Congressman Albio Sires (D-8th Dist.) announced that Jersey City has been awarded $1,875,000 in federal funding to hire 15 new police officers. The grant was awarded through the Department of Justice’s Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Hiring Program (CHP).

“These grants are critically important to expanding community policing and keeping our neighborhoods safe,” said Sen. Menendez. “We have an obligation to support our local police and to protect our residents, and that’s exactly why I’ll continue to fight to make sure New Jersey’s police departments, like Jersey City, have the resources they need to hire new officers and get the job done.”

Posted on: 2016/10/6 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City's new police officers have eyes on community policing

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on July 21, 2016 at 2:32 PM, updated July 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Now, two decades later, Putnam has fulfilled her childhood dream of becoming a police officer. She was one of 20 new Jersey City police officers sworn in during a graduation ceremony at City Hall.

In an ongoing effort by the city to diversify the department, 11 of the new officers are Hispanic and four are black. The class also includes four women.

"I wanted to do more, figure out how I could help the city," said Putman. "So I figured the next step was to become a police officer and be part of the solution, to make the city the greatest."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... police_officers_have.html

Posted on: 2016/7/24 5:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Assault on ?Broken Windows? Policing

Critics say that maintaining order in public spaces is discriminatory and has no effect on serious crime. The evidence says otherwise.

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By William Bratton And George L. Kelling
Dec. 18, 2014 6:43 p.m. ET

Until recently, Broken Windows critics could dismiss New York?s success in fighting crime as anecdotal, suggesting correlation without causation. But several randomized experiments, published in refereed journals, attest to Broken Windows? impact on crime.

In the August 2008 issue of Criminology, Rutgers University criminologist Anthony Braga and a colleague reported the results of field experiments in Jersey City, N.J., and Lowell, Mass. In each city multiple high-crime areas were identified and randomly assigned to experimental and control conditions. Police in the control areas continued routine policing. In the experimental areas, police maintained order more assertively. Crime declined in the experimental areas at greater rates than in the control areas and was not displaced to adjacent neighborhoods. The experiment reflects what New York has found for 20 years.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/william-b ... ndows-policing-1418946183

August 2008 study:
http://petermoskos.com/files/compreview/Braga_Bond-2008.pdf

Posted on: 2014/12/19 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I am familiar with this theory and I think it's worth implementing. But community policing which sort of goes hand in hand with this in recent years has come to be questioned....especially in law enforcement. Many cops will tell you it's just for PR. Focusing on the enforcement of the laws and rules on the books should be the priority.

I have been riding the HBLR almost every day since starting my part-time job....a month and a half now. In that time, I have not been asked to show proof of purchase once. Neither by HBLR enforcement or any law enforcement agency(NJ Transit, JCPD, BPD etc..).

Some would say so what?????

1. We are losing money, which then we have to pay in taxes and higher fare increases.

2. Many times, especially if the fare evaders are in groups they tend to act out, cause lots disturbance and now and then fights have broken out. Especially at and around Newport station.

If Fulop and Company would step up enforcement and crackdown.........on the hundreds if not more fare evaders I see every day....then I would vote for his re-election. Heck, I would even volunteer for his campaign........and I would be happy to put this promise on paper.

The city does not have jurisdiction over the light rail.

+1 I live about a 100 yards away from the rail, and all my issues I had to take up with NJ.transit. JCPD does not get involved with lightrail incidents.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding community policing, strong consideration should be given to appointing a police Ombudsman for JC. It would give the community a real say in policing, help with transparency, and help answer the question "who polices the police?". Too many incidents, such as the pedestrian killed on Kennedy in April by an off-duty cop, have created mistrust in the community.

http://improvingpolice.wordpress.com/ ... ay-forward-for-your-city/

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
QoL issues?Mayor Fulop is putting a lot of time and effort into fixing Healy?s Mayor?s Action Bureau which BTW was useless. Below is the new Resident Response Center hopefully it will be a useful tool for us. Could also be a money maker when reporting violations. A lot of the violations reported should generate fines. Illegal basement/attic apartments, , Illegal driveways, illegal building extensions, alarms going off*, etc. Start today take a walk around your hood your could probably spot many issues, report them.

Resized Image

http://mygovhelp.com/jerseycitynj/_cs/supporthome.aspx?sSessionID=

There are even two topics to make suggestions or to report something that is not on the list.

Suggestion-Select this request type to make a suggestion regarding any City operation. You may attach a file or digital photograph.

Service Request Not Listed Select this option to make a service request that's not listed. If it's one we missed, we'll include it on the list. You may attach a file or digital photograph.

* know some people in CV and SH who have been complaining about an alarm going off at a car dealer on Danforth and rt 440 for over a year maybe two. It?s the Hudson Auto Trade lot. The alarm which sounds like a basketball substitution buzzer goes on and off all night long. On Sunday?s it goes off all day. You actually have to cover your ears walking by it. The Healy administration did NOTHING, makes you really wonder if someone was getting paid off to look the other way. I would also love to see the city permits for that dealer. How can you just put up a trailer , ugly massive signs and flags on an empty lot and start selling cars? Doesn?t the DEP have to get involved in the permit process? Those 100 or so cars are leaking fluids onto soil.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I can't imagine the city not having some sort of input....besides.........in the past i have seen NJ Transit police, PA police, Bayonne Police and Jersey City Police either ride the HBLR and check for tickets(also could have been part of some sort of patrol).

Besides, the train goes through several cities, to say that they have no interest in the safety of their citizens is a bit naive.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I am familiar with this theory and I think it's worth implementing. But community policing which sort of goes hand in hand with this in recent years has come to be questioned....especially in law enforcement. Many cops will tell you it's just for PR. Focusing on the enforcement of the laws and rules on the books should be the priority.

I have been riding the HBLR almost every day since starting my part-time job....a month and a half now. In that time, I have not been asked to show proof of purchase once. Neither by HBLR enforcement or any law enforcement agency(NJ Transit, JCPD, BPD etc..).

1. We are losing money, which then we have to pay in taxes and higher fare increases.

2. Many times, especially if the fare evaders are in groups they tend to act out, cause lots disturbance and now and then fights have broken out. Especially at and around Newport station.

If Fulop and Company would step up enforcement and crackdown.........on the hundreds if not more fare evaders I see every day....then I would vote for his re-election. Heck, I would even volunteer for his campaign........and I would be happy to put this promise on paper.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This would be one of the better synopsis on zero tolerance that was introduced by the NYPD with world applaud.

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/c ... es/outlook99/brereton.pdf

Posted on: 2013/7/25 10:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/25 9:27

Community Policing/Broken Windows/QoL Enforcement
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is an effort to harness the spirited discussion of recent posts regarding enforcement of quality of life offenses (such as those related to dogs, bikes, parking, open containers). I think there is also something here for those who love the long-running "Whole Foods in JC"/what we really need/pace of gentrification discussions.

In the early 1980s, a criminologist named James Q. Wilson published on what has become known as the Broken Windows theory related to police enforcement and norm setting. As another poster suggested, Broken Windows is relevant and important to understand in the context of police enforcement of QoL violations.

Consistent and strict enforcement of QoL offenses, along with other initiatives that fall under the umbrella term "community policing," have been implemented by several cities over the past decades with considerable success, including NYC.

Since Fulop took over, these initiatives appear to be given a new priority in JC. Folks will have different views on this and the transition in enforcement practices will be grating, irritating, and angering to many. Others will welcome it, especially those who understand the theory and success stories underlying it.

JC deserves a forum to discuss this in a constructive and intelligent way. I am hoping folks can post here with that kind of discussion.

Please read up on the basics (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory)

And then post ideas, comments, and experiences that will meaningfully add to the discussion of this important civic issue.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 9:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017