Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Journal Squared Project to Begin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Whoa.

But in any case, for those of you who were worrying about the 5-story residential building being torn down in the near future, don't be. That building and the neighboring 5-story office building probably won't be torn down until KRE is ready to start construction on the third phase of this project. And that probably won't happen for at least six years (if we have another recession by then, maybe it would be more like 8-10 years from now).

Posted on: 2013/7/24 5:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Newport station in 2020...

Posted on: 2013/7/24 1:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Journal Square PATH Station in the year 2020...

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/7 2:55
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
"If you're a renter, do you honestly believe the mere presence of these towers is going to drive rents around JSQ up so dramatically that you'll be forced to move? That, to me, seems extremely unlikely. Sure, in a best case scenario, JSQ gets completely turned around and, inevitably, rents rise. But we're talking about a slow progression over years or a decade."

Yes, I believe that the rents will drive up dramatically. There is a lot of planned construction in the area.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:25
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
Like I said, I'm for developing the area, but it gets ridiculous sometimes that hard working people need to leave. (I'm not talking about ghetto minded crackheads. I know these things happen but it probably doesn't happen to people like you. I'm just saying, if you lost your house or apartment or even your job - that affects you and where you will have to relocate. Then it would bother you.

I guess you think you are exempt. This can happen to anyone. You should count your blessings.

I honestly don't get your gripe. The handful of people who lived where these towers are going were compensated, not forced out. If you think the condos are out of your price range-- don't move into one. If you own in the area and think the towers will drive up property values-- congratulations, you're in line for a windfall.

If you're a renter, do you honestly believe the mere presence of these towers is going to drive rents around JSQ up so dramatically that you'll be forced to move? That, to me, seems extremely unlikely. Sure, in a best case scenario, JSQ gets completely turned around and, inevitably, rents rise. But we're talking about a slow progression over years or a decade.

So sure, if JSQ turns around, it will become more expensive. Not to be harsh, but welcome to reality. As places become nicer and more desirable, they become a little more expensive. Would you prefer that the area stays the way it is?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
This would be my preference:

Link

Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
I'm glad to see development happen but can something be done about the proposed towers in J.sq? I know the city can't tell developers how their buildings should look but come on. You would think spending hundreds of millions of dollars would get something better looking than this

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Like I said, I'm for developing the area, but it gets ridiculous sometimes that hard working people need to leave. (I'm not talking about ghetto minded crackheads. I know these things happen but it probably doesn't happen to people like you. I'm just saying, if you lost your house or apartment or even your job - that affects you and where you will have to relocate. Then it would bother you.

I guess you think you are exempt. This can happen to anyone. You should count your blessings.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:41
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
Well, lets say you were living in area that was decent and stable and close to transportation for many years with no intent on leaving. Now someone (an owner, the city, someone that makes decisions over your head) tells you that you have to leave (for whatever reason).

It wouldn't bother you that you have to leave the conveniences of being next to work, transportation supermarket, etc so that someone else can enjoy it while you have to go searching for another place to live that's out of your market range? It's not so much the new people, but the fact that you got to pick up and leave and can't even stay in the proximity of the neighborhood so they can have those privileges.

Honestly.

dude, are you living in america? If you bought in JSquare years ago then you get to be there no matter what (unless the govt claims eminent domain).....these new towers will increase your property value 100x because of the new business it will bring to the area.

This isn't China where the govt can just give you a few cents and take your home...

if you are a renter, the agreement is usually year to year. There is no promise that you will always be able to afford it. That is NOT what a LEASE is....The owner did not FORCE you to sign the lease...

Getting to your original question, no this does not bother me at all. People like YOU bother me. There is NO RIGHT to live in the same area forever. Gosh, no wonder JSquare took so long to develop...I mean, the logic on this board sometime...

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad to see development happen but can something be done about the proposed towers in J.sq? I know the city can't tell developers how their buildings should look but come on. You would think spending hundreds of millions of dollars would get something better looking than this

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Can Pavonia/Newport accommodate 10 cars?
What about Christopher St, 9th St, 14th street and 23rd street? I don't think so. I currently count 7 or 8 cars max.

If one is to develop for improvements, we should not have to deal with certain doors not opening. That was before 9/11. The catastrophic events of 9/11 changed everything. I don't know how many people will feel comfortable with doors not opening (I'm not). What if there's an emergency and we have to get out the train? Those issues should be addressed as they have development in mind, since this is why people are moving closer to the trains. All exit doors should open.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 22:48
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The Newark-WTC line can be expanded with 10 car trains on the trains. Right now the only station that can't accommodate it is Grove Street. But expanding the station is feasible, and in any event the Port Authority could do what they did with Exchange Place before 9/11 (simply not open the first 2 doors at that stop).

JSQ - 33rd is stuck with what we already have.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 22:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Well, PATH isn't MTA. It's not that fast. Even if they were to add more cars, the doors won't be able to open (they will still be inside the tunnel without access to a platform). You'd have to walk through the cars to get out at a platform - and you know how no one wants to move or those who leave their backpacks on.

Think Christopher St, when you're at the last car. You have a thin ledge by the wall as you try to leave or enter. OR you would have to be in the middle cars (to avoid the cars where the doors won't open) and it's already packed as it is.

That will affect Grove street. The train might pass right by and not even stop with announcements telling you there's another train right behind that one as you grow hot and impatient.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 22:07
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
The PATH is already crowded at Grove. What's going happen when those new units are built at JSQ? Will frequency increase?

Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
Yup. McLaughlin said no thanks. They wanted their parking lot too and they said no.

I don't think the PATH is prepared.

People will move here for the PATH and be stressed out that they can't even line up for the train. They will have to let a train or even two pass by before they can get on an actual train, for like, the 33rd Street train. It will defeat the whole purpose of why to live there. Almost makes you want to live in NYC where there is more affordable middle income housing - the thing is - it takes years to be on a list and the New Yorker's get first dibs.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
No, this is 3 towers. One tower will be 50' high, another 60' and the other 70'. It will be a total of about 1,840 units - something like that. The developer is KRE.

See the image here: http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -change-the-neighborhood/

This is supposed to be the tallest building in JC. It's called J2 (Journal Squared).

You might be thinking of the one by the fountain that has been an empty lot for years. That's a different developer.
If it's the tallest in JC, then it would also be the tallest in the state, I guess.

It would be nice to see these towers I guess, but dang, do we need to expand the PATH and light rail to handle all these new people.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Well, lets say you were living in area that was decent and stable and close to transportation for many years with no intent on leaving. Now someone (an owner, the city, someone that makes decisions over your head) tells you that you have to leave (for whatever reason).

It wouldn't bother you that you have to leave the conveniences of being next to work, transportation supermarket, etc so that someone else can enjoy it while you have to go searching for another place to live that's out of your market range? It's not so much the new people, but the fact that you got to pick up and leave and can't even stay in the proximity of the neighborhood so they can have those privileges.

Honestly.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:58
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
That is true, but where are the hardworking middle class people that have lived there for years supposed to go?

They'll move to another apartment, neighborhood or town.

You can't freeze a city in amber.

Quote:
Especially if they were here before the newcomers.

Why does that matter?

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Yup. McLaughlin said no thanks. They wanted their parking lot too and they said no.

I don't think the PATH is prepared.

People will move here for the PATH and be stressed out that they can't even line up for the train. They will have to let a train or even two pass by before they can get on an actual train, for like, the 33rd Street train. It will defeat the whole purpose of why to live there. Almost makes you want to live in NYC where there is more affordable middle income housing - the thing is - it takes years to be on a list and the New Yorker's get first dibs.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:24
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Development for Journal Square may be needed, but *where* are all these new residents going to sit on the PATH trains? Because they are already overloaded during morning rush hour as it stands now.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Below is the Journal Square 2060 plan:

City of Jersey City Journal Square 2060 plan(.pdf)

@MDM look at the zoning maps and descriptions. You can go 4 /5 stories in some of them depending on your lot size..even a 25 X 100 lot. I liked this plan it put the ?towers? in one section of the Square not spread out all over.

I don?t like the new towers being almost right over the Path station (with a private entrance/ally?) Anyone living in there will most likely never venture out into the rest of Journal Square. (yeah yeah ok who in their right mind would?) I think the developers are even pushing it as you don?t even have to get wet to go to work in NYC. (aka- have no contact with us..the natives who live there)

? But unlike Grove Pointe?s plaza, which was meant to help promote a public square for what the area was already known for, Persky describes J2?s construction as creating a new, ?self-contained? neighborhood, though much of it will be open to the public. There will also be a private fitness center, spa and swimming pool.?

CCat that is something about the McLaughlin Funeral Home not selling. I don?t think the developers with the help of the city are going to be able to bully them into selling like they did to the Twains over by the big empty lot where the other towers were to be built. I think the city hit them with millions of dollars worth of fines so they had to finally give up and sell. McLaughlin?s has/had too many political connections.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Cool. Progress. Journal Square is scary dump at the moment.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Yes KRE bought the block, except for McLaughlin Funeral Home, but he bought the ("JW's Welcomed") Parking lot to the left, the 2 or 3 doctor's office with vinyl siding, the empty Verizon parking lot, the 5 story residential building, the brick building to the left of that (had lawyers, doctors, a Marine Architectural firm) and bought the parking lot that belonged to the really old house on the corner of Summit Ave.

@ Steve - The Slumlord made out like a fat rat I'm sure. He sold out so he's not "poor".

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:30
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
More to come to the JSQ area...

Motorists in Jersey City?s Journal Square, get ready for a year-long headache.

The city plans to begin construction tomorrow on a 12-month streetscape improvement project funded by the state.

The work will occur on a nearly half-mile stretch of Newark Avenue from Summit to Tonnelle avenues and on one block of Liberty Avenue from Newark to Van Winkle avenues.

The city will resurface streets, replace curbs and sidewalks, install curb ramps and add decorative street lights, greenery and traffic striping, according to city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill.

Work on Newark Avenue will begin at Summit Avenue and proceed west, Morrill said.

Construction will be performed on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Oh, those poor, poor landlords. Won't anyone think of the local slumlords?

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
@MDM - The building I am talking about that will be demolished is a 5 story building with 30 apartments. It's a nice looking building with character and quality materials. It's actually sad to see something pretty gone.

I didn't realize a residential building would be demolished for the KRE project.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JSQ is a good place to put the real hi density construction. The area needs more market rate apartments full of people with decent disposable incomes. JSQ won't get much in the way of decent retail until that happens.

Point I was making is that for smaller landlords, it is a heck of a lot easier to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for $1,200 than it is at $2,600.

However, it is impossible to bring to market apartments at $1,200 when you are only limited to a 2 family home. The lower middle income niche would be filled if the zoning in JC allowed it. The massive tax increases over the past seven years added to a huge sewer rate increase has only aggravated the issue.

For a lot of the older frame buildings it is cheaper to tear down and build new than to renovate. When you do that, you can only build those squat-roof 2 family homes in the original building's place.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
@MDM - The building I am talking about that will be demolished is a 5 story building with 30 apartments. It's a nice looking building with character and quality materials. It's actually sad to see something pretty gone.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:13
Curious Cat

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
That is true, but where are the hardworking middle class people that have lived there for years supposed to go? Especially if they were here before the newcomers. That's my question.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:09
Curious Cat

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CuriousCat wrote:
Where is this Italian Village Section? What street?

It is going to be built. I saw some guys out in the parking lot discussing the plans and a truck emptying the old doctor offices near McLaughlin funeral home.

@ JC Progress -Are you planning to move into the new residences? Is that why you can't wait?

No because the Square has been neglected since the 60s. It's time we start to see some development in the square.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ for now
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:04
Curious Cat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you want more middle income apartments, change the stupid R-1 zoning allowing 4 unit per building instead of 2 (allow 4 story construction).

It is impossible to rent out 2 family home profitably unless you charge very high rents. The economy of scale just isn't there.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:03

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017