Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Online petition calls for Jersey City Mayor Fulop to make art maven Brauser art ‘ambassador’
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
So what do people think about this now that the Fulop Transition Team report is out? Ms. Brauser was on the transition team that wrote the Arts, Culture & Tourism report/recommendations.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 20:01

Re: Online petition calls for Jersey City Mayor Fulop to make art maven Brauser art ‘ambassador’
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Susan N. about Uta. She's pleasant, has energy, and has good ideas.

But there is a big difference between starting projects and generating interest and implementing and leading--with an eye to eventually being replaced. Also, someone who does that job must be appealing to various constituencies and be able to communicate in a variety of contexts. In many ways, "the arts" at this level is more about money and making "friends" than it is about being an artist oneself. Artists are vital, but not necessarily as administrators.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The city cannot afford anymore "give aways" in terms of art projects tax breaks. Besides what one person finds attractive another might dread. There can be more than one person at this $1 a year job.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe a whole district! They could even give it a name, like the Powerhouse Arts District

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
It seems to me that the easiest way for the city to support an active Art scene would be to grant some small property tax breaks for those who create art spaces -- if the city wants more galleries -- this perhaps could even be extended to art studios and art related businesses -- except as we all know that can get a bit nebulous.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The late Morris Pesin started Cultural Affairs under Tommy Smith. His job was $1.00 a year. We should go back to people volunteering and stop the bleeding of money.

Volunteering is fine. I do it myself. But how many people in Jersey City can afford to work a full-time job on $1?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on the link with the electrical boxes on Central Avenue. Those are very cool looking. I guess I will need to swing by to check them out in person. Definitely a creative idea!

Posted on: 2013/7/10 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The late Morris Pesin started Cultural Affairs under Tommy Smith. His job was $1.00 a year. We should go back to people volunteering and stop the bleeding of money.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
1st initiative:

Paint every refrigerator in Jersey City.

It seems that every electrical box on Central Ave. is painted it looks like graffitti to me.

Those boxes are painted courtesy of the Central Avenue Special Improvement District:

http://www.centralavesid.org/Community-Arts_Traffic_Boxes.shtml

Thank you for the link some actually don't look that bad I will take a closer look at the artistic boxes when I am on the avenue. I like the gold one and kind of unsure about the wood chest either it looks like someone put it out for garbage pick-up or it is there for a sidewalk sale. A clean idea the wood but not totaly sold on it. The gold adds life to the unit without making it look to busy. I need time to digest it some more. I think the one across from Goehrig's Bakery is a bit much probably why I've been distant from these boxes in the first place.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:42
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
DanL,

I am not saying Brickey hasn't done anything for the art scene here or that he doesn't care, I am simply saying that we need fresh ideas. Greg is from the old guard and is a long time Jersey City guy who in my opinion is jaded and way to politically motivated to be impartial and clear headed.

I hope Fulop shakes up of the Division of Cultrual Affairs. We need new blood in there!

DanL wrote:
come on, enough pot shots already.

Uta Brauser is not petitioning for a "job", but to be the "official" arts ambassador. this is spinning out of control. read the petition.

Greg Brickey helped my city council campaign out. he is a respected visual artist residing in Jersey City and was critical in helping me have the support of the artist community residing in ward e. while obviously, not enough to overcome by a long shot the tidal wave of support that Mayor Fulop earned and achieved, but he worked with me in efforts to expand the entertainment ordinance and continue development of the arts as an industry which we will both in our own ways continue to do.

Maryanne Kelleher supported Councilwoman Richardson who in her early years switched her vote on a tax abatement extension after receiving a phone call from the mayor, in her parting efforts on the council brought back and landmarked St. John's Church.

and I love Thomas Carlson and Dancing Tony, they do things.

if life in our city were simple .....

Quote:

81905 wrote:
With all due respect, give our mayor a bit of credit. If an "arts ambassador" position ever does become reality or if Maryanne Kelleher is on the way out, Fulop will go through the right channels and select a person with class, experience and knowledge of the all encompassing JC arts landscape. I don't see Uta as that person.

In my opinion we need to shake up the Cultural Affairs ship in Jersey City and get some fresh ideas in there. Guys like Greg Brickey, who backed Healy and who works with Maryanne Kelleher at Cultural Affairs, are not what our city needs if we want to be taken seriously.

[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Uta Brauser is not petitioning for a "job", but to be the "official" arts ambassador. this is spinning out of control. read the petition.

Based on what she and her friends are saying, I think she is hoping for a full time paid position.

I don't know what the "Ambassador" position would do that is not already done by cultural affairs.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
1st initiative:

It seems that every electrical box on Central Ave. is painted it looks like graffitti to me.

Those boxes are painted courtesy of the Central Avenue Special Improvement District:

http://www.centralavesid.org/Community-Arts_Traffic_Boxes.shtml

Posted on: 2013/7/10 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
1st initiative:

Posted on: 2013/7/10 11:00
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I have to start by saying that I'm not friends with Uta, although we've exchanged pleasantries at art openings. I like her based on those brief exchanges and the projects she's forwarded.

But it seems to me that Uta is a huge supporter of the arts in JC and a driving force behind Creative Grove. I'd love to see many more like her.

Whether that qualifies her for a job or a post or a title, I can't say. But I'm grateful for Uta and others like her (including Thomas and Tony). People like them, and the projects they conceive, are a big part of why I like JC so much.

- Susan N

Posted on: 2013/7/10 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Yeah, I read the vague petition. What the hell is the difference? A city paycheck is a city paycheck. Neither she, her "friend" that started the petition, nor her few anonymous supporters on this website have explained exactly WHY we need her as an "ambassador" (to what?), WHAT exactly she would do in that capacity, and most importantly HOW she is in any way qualified to perform these mystery tasks.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I nominate that refrigerator.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProgressJC wrote:
(Qualifications)

1. Longtime Fulop Supporter
2. See Number 1

So let's see 80,000 salary with benefits and a city issued bicycle that she can take home. Good Ole Jersey City!
any other nonsense you want to spout?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Greg Brickey helped my city council campaign out. he is a respected visual artist residing in Jersey City and was critical in helping me have the support of the artist community residing in ward e. while obviously, not enough to overcome by a long shot the tidal wave of support that Mayor Fulop earned and achieved, but he worked with me in efforts to expand the entertainment ordinance and continue development of the arts as an industry which we will both in our own ways continue to do.

Maryanne Kelleher supported Councilwoman Richardson who in her early years switched her vote on a tax abatement extension after receiving a phone call from the mayor, in her parting efforts on the council brought back and landmarked St. John's Church.

and I love Thomas Carlson and Dancing Tony, they do things.

if life in our city were simple .....

Quote:

81905 wrote:
With all due respect, give our mayor a bit of credit. If an "arts ambassador" position ever does become reality or if Maryanne Kelleher is on the way out, Fulop will go through the right channels and select a person with class, experience and knowledge of the all encompassing JC arts landscape. I don't see Uta as that person.

In my opinion we need to shake up the Cultural Affairs ship in Jersey City and get some fresh ideas in there. Guys like Greg Brickey, who backed Healy and who works with Maryanne Kelleher at Cultural Affairs, are not what our city needs if we want to be taken seriously.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 1:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
1st initiative:

Posted on: 2013/7/9 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Personally I would like to see a "cultural ambassador" who will promote both art and music. I know a few people who are already making that happen actually - Thomas John Carlson who runs JC Art School and Dancing Tony who basically books 90% of the live shows in JC.

Unfortunately, one would spend his entire time on the clock talking about himself, and the other one was arrested for drug dealing. You just can't seem to win in this town.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
The problem with hiring someone from the artistic community as an arts ambassador is the "ambassador" part. Anyone who has been in any arts or music scene for more than a year knows that pretty much every public figure type person has their fans and their detractors. You need someone with the savvy to navigate things like sponsorships, collaborations, permitting - the business end of things. Uta is very well intended but I have long felt that business was not her strong point. I live near her gallery locations and they have been incredibly under utilized and under promoted compared to other arts orgs like Pro Arts, 4th St. Arts, Art House, etc.

Personally I would like to see a "cultural ambassador" who will promote both art and music. I know a few people who are already making that happen actually - Thomas John Carlson who runs JC Art School and Dancing Tony who basically books 90% of the live shows in JC.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Will this thread have the most posts from users registered TODAY with a Post Count of 1?

LOL.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/28 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
Change.org has many petitions for causes, people, projects, etc. this is just one of them.
There has been an evolving art community since I moved here in the late 80's but I think it took Ms. Brauser to finally make it happen.
Certainly Ms. Brauser and her work attract attention. Most of my new neighbors know who she is, most like her and the work she does. She is in the public eye, where I think a lot of artists would like to be. Being noticed creates fans and the opposite.
I hope our new Mayor will be a fan and encourage and promote her work by giving her some official recognition. Art Ambassador sounds good enough to me.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

political wrote:
She is a great artist.
She has brought millions to JC by promoting the arts and organizing Creative Grove with its positive effects.
Downtown got an enormous push away from dollar stores and rundown buildings because of her.
If she gets any position at city hall, she's already paid for her salary many times over.

Ute, welcome to JCLIST.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I am a Fulop supporter. But one thing you all should know - Maryanne Kelleher was greatly hindered in what she was able to achieve in her role in the last few years under Healy. Her budget was severely cut from something like $400-$500k (IIRC) down to around $150k-$95k. And her staff was severely pared down to only a few people. Arts & Culture was not a priority under Healy, so money went elsewhere. And I believe she may have been brought into the dept. by the mayor before Healy (so to assume she's a "Healy girl", like that's a dirty word, is not fair). This does not mean she wouldn't be able to succeed if given the proper resources and support going forward. It remains to be seen - give the Mayor a chance to evaluate this and other needs of that dept.

I don't know Ute. Its great what she has accomplished, from what her supporters tout. But to advocate so strongly for oneself with a "public mandate" to either create a role for herself or to oust someone who's effectiveness, or potential for great effectiveness, has not fully been reviewed leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
hopefully, she will stand on her artistic merit and not by a petition. I'm sure if she were a culturally important leader and economic driver, she would have already been noticed by Fulop.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 15:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 11:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jonjet wrote:
This thread seems to contain some who are making
a big effort to say bad things about Ms. Brauser and about a simple petition with a request to our Mayor.
It is not about bullying or attempting to circumvent due process. It is a petition.
I think our Mayor will be able to see beyond the negativity that a few are expressing here.

There's an open resume submission for the city... doesn't seem that there's any need for a petition. If she's so qualified and if this job were created, then so be it. There are currently more people browsing this forum than have signed the petition, so it seems unlikely that it's going to have much impact on anything.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 14:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

81905 wrote:
With all due respect, give our mayor a bit of credit. If an "arts ambassador" position ever does become reality or if Maryanne Kelleher is on the way out, Fulop will go through the right channels and select a person with class, experience and knowledge of the all encompassing JC arts landscape.

Like David Donnelly's as the new Project Manager making $80K a year? OK, sure.

+1

Posted on: 2013/7/9 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
With all due respect, give our mayor a bit of credit. If an "arts ambassador" position ever does become reality or if Maryanne Kelleher is on the way out, Fulop will go through the right channels and select a person with class, experience and knowledge of the all encompassing JC arts landscape.

Like David Donnelly's as the new Project Manager making $80K a year? OK, sure.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
wow ! Give 81905 the job

Posted on: 2013/7/9 14:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017