Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Questions for Great Dane owners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The huge (no pun intended) benefit to getting an adult rescue Dane is that you'll know its personality. Also, you get to miss out on having a hyperactive 100-pound adolescent tearing up your place.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 23:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
Check your PM

Posted on: 2013/6/29 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a Dane owner but waned to chime in about the big dog thing...as others have said, many large or giant breeds are actually more suited to apartment life than many small breeds, like Jack Russells, as someone mentioned earlier. If you have enough space for this dog to walk around freely (ie not a 300 square foot studio probably) it will be content. When considering any dog, look at the energy level and choose one that matches your own. Do you want to bring your dog on a jog every day? A high energy working dog like a Weimaraner might be a great choice. If you're a couch potato, you and a Weimaraner will drive each other crazy. Training obviously is crucial.

Breed specific rescues are great...also there are many very chill senior dogs that need homes, which are available from rescues or from reputable breeders once they are retired from showing etc.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 17:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Like most large breeds, Great Danes don't need a lot of exercise. In fact, it can be bad for them, especially when they're still growing. My neighbor had one, and she had to stop sending him to doggie day care every day, because he wasn't gaining weight.

And like most large breeds, they aren't yappy. A Great Dane is more suited for apartment living than a Jack Russell, which requires extraordinary amounts of stimulation and exercise.

There are numerous dog runs in JC, where they can run to their heart's content. But, like my greyhound, they probably will only do it for a couple minutes, until they get exhausted and need to go home and nap for 8 hours.

I'm a big fan of breed specific rescues. You may not get a puppy, but most of the older dogs are already potty trained!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 12:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/21 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
Johnny wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting a Great Dane - but would like to hear the opinion of the owners in JC. I've seen a lot of these dogs in downtown, so I know you're around.

Are they tough dogs to have in an apartment? Separation issues? Issues with the landlord?

Thanks!

OP, my family had Great Danes growing up and I have cared for several as a pet-sitter/dog-walker so I will tell you my experience. First, it makes no difference whether or not you're in a house or an apartment as long as whatever space you're in is easily navigated and relatively uncluttered. Their tail ends up being exactly table-height so they will clear entire surfaces as they walk around! As far as their energy level goes, it's no different than any other breed as a puppy and as an adult they are quite slow and calm and docile. They mostly just lounge around. I would share an apartment with a dane before I'd share it with a Jack Russel Terrier or a beagle or some other high-energy, yappy small breed. For that matter, I'd much rather be neighbor to someone with a dane than a crazy-loud little dog!

Danes are very sweet, very sensitive and incredibly loyal dogs. Absolutely lovely to be around and share your life with. However, there are breed-specific down sides: I know of very few Dane owners whose dogs have passed away naturally of old age. They almost always develop hip or back issues at some point in their life and when they do it's heart-breaking. Also, because of their size, they are very suseptable to bloat. We did everything right to prevent bloat: fed them at a height of about 2-3 feet off the ground, never let them exercise after eating...and still we had to euthanize one and another had to go through a very painful abdominal surgery.

So, that's my two cents. Hope it helps. For the record, I agree with everyone who said that you should adopt. You will have less health issues to deal with if you get a dane mix (dane/lab mixes are awesome!). And you'll know you rescued a dog and donated to a good cause instead of lining the pockets of some backyard breeder.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Johnny wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Have you considered Boerboels?

Not sure even what this is?

Really? Well, allow me to introduce you.
Boerboels

Scroll to post #1 and start there. You must be new around here.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 11:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Why would you want a large dog if you live in a small space? Maybe you have a huge apt but where is the Great Dane supposed to exercise? It's illegal to keep a dog off leash on the street and in parks except for dog runs. I can't imagine a dog run would make a Great Dane happy.

Seriously think about the welfare of the Great Dane. Why a Great Dane? Why not a smaller breed?

actually, Great Danes are one of the few large breeds that do well in small spaces:

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/01/ ... cts-about-the-great-dane/

that said, I too would encourage the OP to look into a shelter dog or, if his heart is set on a Dane, go through a breed-specific rescue organization, like this one: http://www.magdrl.org/availabledogs.htm

This is great advice. Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 9:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Not sure even what this is?

Posted on: 2013/6/28 9:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Why would you want a large dog if you live in a small space? Maybe you have a huge apt but where is the Great Dane supposed to exercise? It's illegal to keep a dog off leash on the street and in parks except for dog runs. I can't imagine a dog run would make a Great Dane happy.

Seriously think about the welfare of the Great Dane. Why a Great Dane? Why not a smaller breed?

actually, Great Danes are one of the few large breeds that do well in small spaces:

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/01/ ... cts-about-the-great-dane/

that said, I too would encourage the OP to look into a shelter dog or, if his heart is set on a Dane, go through a breed-specific rescue organization, like this one: http://www.magdrl.org/availabledogs.htm

Posted on: 2013/6/28 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/28 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

ripple wrote:
No offense, but I think it's tragic that we created a breed of dog that only lives 7 years or so, not to mention how impractical they are. Lots of smart, excellent dogs and pups at shelters & rescues out there are just waiting to be adopted.

Quote:

Johnny wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting a Great Dane - but would like to hear the opinion of the owners in JC. I've seen a lot of these dogs in downtown, so I know you're around.

Are they tough dogs to have in an apartment? Separation issues? Issues with the landlord?

Thanks!

"No Offense"? How else should the OP take that comment?

how about....without getting offended? since it's just an opinion?

Then just say "in my opinion" and leave off the "no offense" bit.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

ripple wrote:
No offense, but I think it's tragic that we created a breed of dog that only lives 7 years or so, not to mention how impractical they are. Lots of smart, excellent dogs and pups at shelters & rescues out there are just waiting to be adopted.

Quote:

Johnny wrote:

Thanks!

how about....without getting offended? since it's just an opinion?

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:

Quote:

Johnny wrote:

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Johnny wrote:

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/28 1:38

Questions for Great Dane owners
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 1:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017