Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 10:44
Group:
Registered Users
yes, in theory it's a zero sum result. however, what we, the uneducated property taxpayers, don't know is if and what such reval will trigger on county or state level!? if aid/grants decrease as a result of reval, then the total tax burden in absolute $$ terms will go up...

Posted on: 2016/4/12 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
unbelievable, from at last night's Jersey City Together event -

https://www.facebook.com/RealJerseyCityNJ/videos/1158346934190276/

I'll ask webmaster to do a better job embedding video.

It begs the question and you can fill in the blank.

I'm not advocating that we drag Fulop out into the street and hang him, but I also wouldn't try to stop it. It must be nice to live inside the reality distortion field that Fulop has around him. I bet the taxes are fair inside his bubble as well.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
We know once the reval is done the city can invest in after school programs up the hill which it lacks.

What we know is that by law the reval will not affect the net tax revenue of the city. I don't know why you post this here.

Yes I think someone (you brewster?)on this thread educated us a while ago about how the net tax revenue will not change. I didn't realize that until it was pointed out. The city will take in the same amount of tax money. Hence the 1/3 will go up, 1/3 will go down, and 1/3 will remain the same theory.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
world class politician's non-answer.

Once Steve realizes no one is buying his "ill spent money" nonsense perhaps he'll consider the ill assessments which result in such inconsistent RE tax bill percentages throughout this city...

Posted on: 2016/4/12 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
unbelievable, from at last night's Jersey City Together event -

https://www.facebook.com/RealJerseyCityNJ/videos/1158346934190276/

I'll ask webmaster to do a better job embedding video.

It begs the question and you can fill in the blank.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
We know once the reval is done the city can invest in after school programs up the hill which it lacks.

What we know is that by law the reval will not affect the net tax revenue of the city. I don't know why you post this here.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
An event happening tonight if anyone is interested it will discuss this very topic.

We know once the reval is done the city can invest in after school programs up the hill which it lacks. This will be an exciting event. Now that this even and movement is growing up the hill rumor has it the mayor may not show up...

Here is the event info.

Jersey City Together

April 11 @ 7:30 am - 9:00 pm EDT

A new organization has been formed in Jersey City to create a better community for all of Jersey City?s residents. A faith-based coalition of over thirty congregations will hold its inaugural event here at Old Bergen Church on Monday evening April 11th at 7:30 pm. Imagine 700 leaders form thirty congregations here in our sanctuary! The mayor and other city and county officials will also be in attendance. Plan to be a part of this historic event.

http://www.oldbergenchurch.com/event/jersey-city-together/

Posted on: 2016/4/11 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have been happily married to the same man for over 40 years. So while some of you are bashing me can you say the same thing?

We can't be married to the same man as you, because that would be polygamy and possibly same sex marriage. And that's against God and stuff.

I am sure my husband is now relieved. He would not tolerate the shenanigans on this blog.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have been happily married to the same man for over 40 years. So while some of you are bashing me can you say the same thing?

We can't be married to the same man as you, because that would be polygamy and possibly same sex marriage. And that's against God and stuff.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I'd say you paid around $850,000 so expect to pay $13,000 when they reval your property to market value.

Heights gets to stay after school and clean the erasers. You paid $475,000. Yes, expect to pay around 2%.

You're right I doubled the price instead of cutting it in half. Fulop paid around $700k but is only paying 1% of what he paid in taxes

Nonetheless, I appreciate both Brewster and Heights taking the time to answer my question.

And Heights, I would never be so rude to insinuate that you and the Troll Balcer are married. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I disagree with bodhipooh, I doubt the reval assessment will vary much, they have the previous recent appraisal and know it was probably much more thorough than the reval's appraisal.

My point is/was that without actual numbers we are just guessing. If the OP doesn't tell us how much his home is worth, we can't determine if he is under/over paying based on the current tax levy he is paying.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Everyone on here is saying their taxes will go up in a reval, but of course that's not the case. It's a zero sum game. Therefore, maybe the 2.1% tax rate post reval is too high of an estimate?

That's because this board is dominated with DTJC residents, which is the one area that will be most affected by the regal and where home prices have appreciated the most. Most other areas will see decreased, which is how things will end up balancing out.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I'd say you paid around $850,000 so expect to pay $13,000 when they reval your property to market value.

Heights gets to stay after school and clean the erasers. You paid $475,000. Yes, expect to pay around 2%.

You're right I doubled the price instead of cutting it in half. Fulop paid around $700k but is only paying 1% of what he paid in taxes

Nonetheless, I appreciate both Brewster and Heights taking the time to answer my question.

And Heights, I would never be so rude to insinuate that you and the Troll Balcer are married. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/10 1:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone on here is saying their taxes will go up in a reval, but of course that's not the case. It's a zero sum game. Therefore, maybe the 2.1% tax rate post reval is too high of an estimate?

Also interesting to note that only building improvements can receive a tax abatement. Land is taxed at the normal rate. There is a lot of land that is now worth many multiples from when last assessed in 1988.

Institutional owners of large parcels of land in and around Newport Mall are going to be paying hundreds of thousands more in property taxes. Then there are the new developments like 99 Hudson, which will add over half a billion dollars to the ratabale base. That one building will be paying about 10 million a year in property taxes.

There are the obvious losers (anyone paying $7,000 on a home worth $850,000), but I'm not so convinced folks in McGinley Square and elsewhere will also see an increase. There is only one way to find out, and we're still over a year away in a best case scenario.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 1:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
This is Fulop's Waterloo.

He should be welcoming the reval with open arms. Why did he wait for the state to order one? By fighting it, this tells me he prefers downtown and the Ogdenites (his neighbors) over the families just trying to make it in Bergen-Lafayette or Greenville.

The poor are literally subsidizing the rich.

I was thinking about this more and I agree 100% that opposing the reval makes zero political sense for Fulop.

I won't speculate about Fulop's chances to be reelected mayor, but this is going to cost him in the 2017 gubernatorial primary because primary voters tend to be higher-information and more ideological than general election voters. High-information voters can't be fooled into thinking that a reval=tax increases and Democratic primary voters aren't people who are motivated to vote against tax increases in the first place.

To high-information Democrats, opposing a reval looks like Fulop is protecting the rich and will fit into a pattern of indifference to fair taxation that also shows up in overPILOTing and aid hoarding. This indifference to fair taxation might undo whatever goodwill Fulop gains for increasing the JC minimum municipal wage to $15 an hour.

I think that elected officials whose endorsement Fulop seeks will be turned off by Fulop's opposition to the reval. 100% of mayors (outside of Hudson, Middlesex, and Union counties) will understand that a reval isn't a tax increase and many of them will not understand why Fulop refuses to do what nearly every other town in NJ does on a frequent basis.

Very well put. As I said, it's baffling why Fulop threw himself on this obvious grenade, did he really think everyone would believe his bullshit? There must have been a serious quid pro quo he needed to pay off.

I think that Fulop's campaign for governor makes less sense for him personally than gubernatorial campaigns make for Sweeney, Murphy, Wisniewski, and Lesniak.

Yeah, a governor has more power than a mayor, but which is better; to be the mayor of a booming city where you can expand services and not have to raise (or even cut) taxes? or to be governor of a bankrupt state, where even tax increases have to be pared with spending cuts? A governor gets to have a say over economic, health, education, and infrastructure policies that a mayor has much less control over even in his own city, but a mayor of a city like JC gets to form a skyline.

Sweeney, Lesniak, and Wisniewski are already in Trenton and already facing the fiscal morass, but they are legislators and each one is just one of 120. Steve Sweeney is the Senate President, but that only gives him the power to block legislation and he still can't create as positive change as a governor. Lesniak is 69 years old. He says he is retiring anyway. It makes sense that every single one of them would want to be gov.

Phil Murphy is a retired rich guy with a public affairs hobby. (There's nothing wrong with that.) It makes sense for him to want to be gov too.

Fulop even has some influence in Trenton already. You don't have to believe Chris Christie that Steve Fulop is Vincent Prioto's boss to see that Fulop has some power over the Hudson County legislative delegation.

If Fulop wants to be governor or Senator he's young enough that he has many chances in the future. Why not build an even stronger record in JC?

Isn't Fulop getting married too? Why be absent from your new wife for a year to chase the governorship? What if Fulop wants a family? Why miss his child's infancy for a campaign?

The word is that Fulop wants to be governor. Maybe he's in a rush because he wants to be president too. I don't know what he wants, but Fulop would be giving up a better gig to run for governor than any of the other candidates. Given the fact that he's lost a lot of luster in the last year, the uncertainties of a race for him, the toll it would take, maybe he'll call the campaign off before it even begins.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 0:18

How does the reval affect tax abatment properties
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Are buildings with tax abatements really protected from this reval?
I ask because I am currently in a building with 30 year (1.67%) tax abatement. I have been paying the same amount of taxes the last 8 years although the property is gone up in value by roughly 40%. My next door neighbor who has the same exact unit pays about $1000 more because he bought his property a few years later and paid more for it therefore his taxes are 1.67% of a larger number.

I guess my question is, doesn't the abatement only guarantee the percentage I will pay will not go above 1.67% of the value of my place? If that's the case I don't know what the all the whining about tax abatement properties is all about.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/9 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Well since we are now just asking the old-timers for advice on how it all works, our place has an assessed value of $93,000 according to the city website (I assume that was the 1988 valuation?). We paid $7,600 in taxes in 2015, which works out at 8.1%.

Obviously that is not the correct metric. Our tax bill relative to what we paid to buy our apartment in 2014 works out at 1.6% - I'll leave it to you to figure out what we paid .

So the question is, are we expecting a kick up to somewhere around 2% of our purchase price? So somewhere in the vicinity of $9,000...? Only major improvements have been an HVAC - replacing a 30-year old compressed air furnace and adding an AC compressor. No structural work since the unit already had a vent system to deliver the heat and air to each room.

What say the JC lifers? Given some of the horror estimates on this thread, I'm thinking a $1,400 increase might not be so bad...

Posted on: 2016/4/9 23:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well since we are now just asking the old-timers for advice on how it all works, our place has an assessed value of $93,000 according to the city website (I assume that was the 1988 valuation?). We paid $7,600 in taxes in 2015, which works out at 8.1%.

Obviously that is not the correct metric. Our tax bill relative to what we paid to buy our apartment in 2014 works out at 1.6% - I'll leave it to you to figure out what we paid .

So the question is, are we expecting a kick up to somewhere around 2% of our purchase price? So somewhere in the vicinity of $9,000...? Only major improvements have been an HVAC - replacing a 30-year old compressed air furnace and adding an AC compressor. No structural work since the unit already had a vent system to deliver the heat and air to each room.

What say the JC lifers? Given some of the horror estimates on this thread, I'm thinking a $1,400 increase might not be so bad...

Posted on: 2016/4/9 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
Yes, I bought my place for 325k.

Does anyone know if I do further renovations that pull permits, will this continue to raise my taxes? I'm going to redo my backyard with new fencing and some new electrical and such.

I have never had minor permit work like that affect the assessment.

I disagree with bodhipooh, I doubt the reval assessment will vary much, they have the previous recent appraisal and know it was probably much more thorough than the reval's appraisal.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 18:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I bought my place for 325k.

Does anyone know if I do further renovations that pull permits, will this continue to raise my taxes? I'm going to redo my backyard with new fencing and some new electrical and such.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
My place was renovated (2014) before I moved in and the city came in and reassessed the place and my taxes went from 3800 to about 6000. Does this mean my place is now fully revised for property taxes and if and when this city wide tax reval. happens, I will probably will get my taxes decreased? Most of my neighbors are paying 3500 to 4000 per year.

Yes, you should expect a minor change, if any to your assessment. If the nominal rate drops, you'll see a reduction.

I wouldn't be so sure. Whatever assessment was carried out in 2014 may or may not be accurate. Ultimately, all that matters is how much the property is worth in today's market. Based on taxes of ~6K, the OP's property is being assessed taxes equivalent to a property worth slightly under 300K, which seems low for JC, depending on area.

To the OP: is your property value around 300K? If so, your taxes are good. If the value is higher, you are underpaying in your taxes.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
My place was renovated (2014) before I moved in and the city came in and reassessed the place and my taxes went from 3800 to about 6000. Does this mean my place is now fully revised for property taxes and if and when this city wide tax reval. happens, I will probably will get my taxes decreased? Most of my neighbors are paying 3500 to 4000 per year.

Yes, you should expect a minor change, if any to your assessment. If the nominal rate drops, you'll see a reduction.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 16:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/9 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

He should be welcoming the reval with open arms. Why did he wait for the state to order one? By fighting it, this tells me he prefers downtown and the Ogdenites (his neighbors) over the families just trying to make it in Bergen-Lafayette or Greenville.

I was thinking about this more and I agree 100% that opposing the reval makes zero political sense for Fulop.

I won't speculate about Fulop's chances to be reelected mayor, but this is going to cost him in the 2017 gubernatorial primary because primary voters tend to be higher-information and more ideological than general election voters. High-information voters can't be fooled into thinking that a reval=tax increases and Democratic primary voters aren't people who are motivated to vote against tax increases in the first place.

To high-information Democrats, opposing a reval looks like Fulop is protecting the rich and will fit into a pattern of indifference to fair taxation that also shows up in overPILOTing and aid hoarding. This indifference to fair taxation might undo whatever goodwill Fulop gains for increasing the JC minimum municipal wage to $15 an hour.

I think that elected officials whose endorsement Fulop seeks will be turned off by Fulop's opposition to the reval. 100% of mayors (outside of Hudson, Middlesex, and Union counties) will understand that a reval isn't a tax increase and many of them will not understand why Fulop refuses to do what nearly every other town in NJ does on a frequent basis.

Very well put. As I said, it's baffling why Fulop threw himself on this obvious grenade, did he really think everyone would believe his bullshit? There must have been a serious quid pro quo he needed to pay off.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/9 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the factors e.g.cost of living in Brooklyn, queens, and mahatten and the move back to city living, still exists with or without of the Reval and yes some people will sell but I do not think it's going to tank the value of homes.

Jersey city is much cheaper than hokoben, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and most places in Queens and you also don't have to pay city tax, those things won't change. People will adjust and a lot of people will stay. I anticipate my taxes will increase by about $300 a month. Does it suck, yes, but I also bought a house in McGinley Square that was very much within the comfort of what I could afford. I live in a 3 bedroom Victorian with a backyard, a driveway, a basement and a 15-20 minute walk to the path station. If I was in Brooklyn or Queens and if I was actually able to win a bid, my house would havd cost twice what it did here. The cheap property taxes in the city wouldn't negate that.

The crazy housing prices around JC will keep the cost up. The people who sell bc they are drastically underpaying(if your house is worth a million and you paying $5000 you knew this was coming) will be replaced by people who can't afford the neighboring areas.

This very much feels like when the Pulaski skyway closed and everyone yelled about Armageddon and people adjusted their commutes and everything was fine.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Reval bill could cost Jersey City taxpayers $8.5M

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on April 07, 2016 at 6:04 A

Once Jersey City finally completes the citywide revaluation ordered on Monday by New Jersey tax officials, the final tab for taxpayers could top $8.5 million.

The city has already paid Realty Appraisal Co., the firm hired in 2011 to perform the reval Mayor Steve Fulop halted in 2013, $1.98 million.

Realty Appraisal sued for breach of contract, and is seeking the $984,511 it says it is owed. A decision in the case is expected in weeks, and if Hudson County Superior Court Judge Francis B. Schultz rules entirely in the company's favor, that brings the total bill for taxpayers to $2,964,511, not counting interest and legal fees.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _could_cost_jersey_c.html

Posted on: 2016/4/9 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
both databases work and I tried both, can you get someone to help you with it?

Quote:

jcgurl wrote:
Thanks Dan L and Brewster for the links but they appear to access the same database that doesn't work. Thanks T-Bird for sharing your experience. I know we're underassessed I just don't know by how much. But no matter how much our taxes go up, it will be too much for us. It will be sad to leave JC after almost 15 years of calling it home. I would definitely love to hear anyone's thoughts on when to sell... before, during or after?

sounds like a reasonable assessment. note that selling property is not pushing a button, it can go quickly, it can have delays and hitches or multiple sales can fall thru. perhaps, take advantage of your husband's time off while he is not working to get the home ready, fixed up, cleaned up etc.

talk to people in your neighborhood association as to what they are doing, long time realtors (ie. at boyne, armagno, wiechert etc.) both for selling and how to go about, and potential other neighborhoods that you may like elsewhere in JC.

think of it as a new opportunity and fortunately you may have a great deal of appreciation to bank or pay cash for a less costly home in JC or elsewhere.

we sold our home downtown, then bought another in mcginley square for half (taxes also half), though we expect post reval taxes to go up about 60%. if we waited a couple more years, we might have seen another 20% appreciation when we sold, but in the long run we are happy.

don't procrastinate, be proactive.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcgurl wrote:
I would definitely love to hear anyone's thoughts on when to sell... before, during or after?

I guess it is best to break it down by the periods you list:
BEFORE - I think the biggest risk in this scenario is losing in potential appreciation between now and the time the market starts to go down.
DURING - Savvy homeowners who know they can not afford the tax increase will start to make their move. But, you risk losing some value if enough people do in fact decide to sell during this period.
AFTER - At this point, I think you will see a lot of rushed listings from people that can't afford the increase but had stuck their head in the sand, were too clueless and never realized what was happening, or were in complete denial about the inevitable.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 21:44

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017