Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Who do we write to, to have our voices heard? I for one support the reval - out of fairness, and because the city can't possibly be making sound financial decisions (more abatements, what the PILOT funds are used for, continuing the Abbott status, etc.) with the revenue generating mechanism so out of whack. It also just cements the Democratic establishments (not entirely underserved) reputation for lack of leadership, and dismays those of us who look towards a progressive Democratic governor but see the ideal tarnished by Steve Fulop's pandering on this.

By way of disclosure - if my neighbor gets his asking (for the same 600 s.f. condo that I have in the Heights) the comps would indicate my taxes are a mere 1.5% of market value. While seeing them go up would be no fun, what I also take away is that, since the real estate market in the Heights was so depressed for the first 6 or 7 years I lived there that I was probably over-taxed for many years, and things are balancing out. So just that - things will need to balance out, and it's only fair that those who have benefited for so long need to accept this balancing out.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Hamhock. That's is a joke right? The new downtown properties are supporting the city. It's certianly not the 1980s assessed properties paying taxes on 25% of their actual market value

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I really hope they just do this already. My taxes will go up but I'd rather have it happen now then in 10 years when my house in Mcginley Square will likely be worth a lot more money. It is inevitable this well happen and it should adjust when the property is sold.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
For all of you screaming for a revale once it happens the abated properties will really be the ones getting a break.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Many of us met last night with attorneys to sue the city... and many pull out the race card.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
How out of whack is it, minus the (obvious) fairness issue? Like, if Downtown were an actual separate city on its own, would the property taxes be too low to sustain public services for itself?

Hard to know without the data, and the data collection was stopped by Fulop. If you said "older areas of DTJC", I said probably. I do know there's few areas of NJ with a 1% tax rate.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 17:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
How out of whack is it, minus the (obvious) fairness issue? Like, if Downtown were an actual separate city on its own, would the property taxes be too low to sustain public services for itself?

Posted on: 2016/4/6 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is Fulop's Waterloo.

He should be welcoming the reval with open arms. Why did he wait for the state to order one? By fighting it, this tells me he prefers downtown and the Ogdenites (his neighbors) over the families just trying to make it in Bergen-Lafayette or Greenville.

The poor are literally subsidizing the rich.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/6 16:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I don't see Christie having an anti-Fulop, anti-Jersey City agenda.

Really?! You can?t see how Christie has an anti-Fulop agenda??

Sweeney is Christie?s guy. Christie is trying to help him out. Both of them are huge piles of garbage posing as humans.

Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I'm sure that people here can think of ways that Christie has hurt (or not helped) Jersey City, but Christie has given corporations relocating to Jersey City large tax breaks and has given large tax breaks to Jersey City developments.

Journal Squared, for instance, is getting $93 million in tax breaks.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _journal_square_resi.html

I know I can be a broken record on state aid, but Christie has preserved and slightly increased Jersey City's education aid, even while Jersey City is overaided and numerous districts across NJ are severely underaided.

Christie has had Matthew Boxer's 2010 report on the unfairness of tax abatements on his desk for years and has done nothing to reform NJ's PILOT policies. Since JC exploits the PILOT law like no other city, this can be read as another favor to JC.

Christie has ignored some of his own Republican allies, like Sen. Mike Doherty and Assemblyman Jack Ciattarelli, to preserve JC's state aid and maintain the status quo PILOT law.

There are going to be people who believe Fulop's protests about "bullying" and see ordering the reval as Christie just trying to hurt Fulop, but the "hurt Fulop" theory looks bogus to me.

I know how weird it is for an egotistical monster like Christie to do something that looks like Good Governance, but we are all going to have to suspend our disbelief on this one.

Christie gives all companies relocating tax breaks. That isn?t JC specific.

While Christie is correct that a reval needs to happen, the timing is specific and the city was singled out specifically.

Like I said. I don't see the anti-JC, anti-Fulop agenda.

A reval isn't "anti-JC" unless you think that JC=Downtown+Waterfront. You yourself concede that the reval needs to happen.

And what plausible animus does Christie have towards Elizabeth and Dunellen? Dunellen's mayor is a Republican.

Since JC looked like it was going to do a reval on its own through mid-2013, you can't blame the Treasury for not ordering a reval before that.

As for post-2013, well, even though the Treasury clearly has the constitutional power to order a reval, it has never used that power before, so this is an unprecedented step for them. If they were slow to use this power I don't think it's necessarily that bad.

Like I said, if Christie were anti-Fulop or anti-JC he would take away JC's state aid or be less willing to give JC developments tax breaks.

And even if he did those things it wouldn't necessarily be anti-Fulop or anti-JC (unless JC were singled-out) because there are significant legitimate public policy reasons for him to do so.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:

Really?! You can?t see how Christie has an anti-Fulop agenda??

Sweeney is Christie?s guy. Christie is trying to help him out. Both of them are huge piles of garbage posing as humans.

Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I'm sure that people here can think of ways that Christie has hurt (or not helped) Jersey City, but Christie has given corporations relocating to Jersey City large tax breaks and has given large tax breaks to Jersey City developments.

I know I can be a broken record on state aid, but Christie has preserved and slightly increased Jersey City's education aid, even while Jersey City is overaided and numerous districts across NJ are severely underaided.

Christie has had Matthew Boxer's 2010 report on the unfairness of tax abatements on his desk for years and has done nothing to reform NJ's PILOT policies. Since JC exploits the PILOT law like no other city, this can be read as another favor to JC.

Christie has ignored some of his own Republican allies, like Sen. Mike Doherty and Assemblyman Jack Ciattarelli, to preserve JC's state aid and maintain the status quo PILOT law.

There are going to be people who believe Fulop's protests about "bullying" and see ordering the reval as Christie just trying to hurt Fulop, but the "hurt Fulop" theory looks bogus to me.

I know how weird it is for an egotistical monster like Christie to do something that looks like Good Governance, but we are all going to have to suspend our disbelief on this one.

Christie gives all companies relocating tax breaks. That isn?t JC specific.

While Christie is correct that a reval needs to happen, the timing is specific and the city was singled out specifically.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 15:49
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 06, 2016 at 11:25 AM, updated April 06, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Once Jersey City finally completes the citywide revaluation ordered on Monday by New Jersey tax officials, the final tab for taxpayers could top $8.5 million.

The city has already paid Realty Appraisal Co., the firm hired in 2011 to perform the reval Mayor Steve Fulop halted in 2013, $1.98 million.

More - JJ

Posted on: 2016/4/6 15:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't going to comment on the gas tax since it's off topic, but Sweeney and Murphy are for increasing the gas tax.

Steve Sweeney always says "roads aren't free" and has consistently said the gas tax needs to be raised.

Phil Murphy is new to taking stances on public issues, but at a town hall I attended last week he said "I hate that the gas tax is regressive" but went on to say that the gas tax had to be raised.

I don't know much about Fulop and the gas tax.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Why do people get so offended over the ONE FREAKING TAX that is low in NJ? We just about lead the US in taxation, do we want to cement the position permanently? The problem isn't taxation, it's spending.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
is any governor considered raising the gasoline tax and using the increased monies to reduce property taxes and/or better fund government needs. isn't nj gas absurdly cheap!

If we had a governor so brave, the money would go to the robbed state highway and pension funds.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
is any governor considered raising the gasoline tax and using the increased monies to reduce property taxes and/or better fund government needs. isn't nj gas absurdly cheap!

Posted on: 2016/4/6 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
Comps of recent property sales in that area ?

This does not always work, There was a property sold a few months ago down the block from me for 300k and another abandon property 8 months ago that sold for 40k.

That latter property would not be usable for a comp. It has to be a full market, arms length, no short or forclosure sale. I went into an appeal ignorant of how to read the data and all my comps were thrown out.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

This does not always work, There was a property sold a few months ago down the block from me for 300k and another abandon property 8 months ago that sold for 40k.

It would never work as the Fulop/Ogden Ave example proves.

Who would want to upset their 'base' by being the guy who raised city property taxes just prior to running for Governor.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2016/4/5 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
DanL wrote:
????.., they are continuing the gross inequity of jersey city property taxes where the poorest areas of the city pay to subsidize the wealthiest.

I see people on nj.com saying the same thing. Where is this happening? Below are a few similar properties from all over Jersey City?. 25 X 100 lot, 2 story, 2 unit. Is the argument that houses sell for a lot more in highly developed parts of the city so their taxes should be higher? And in the under developed area?s their taxes should be much lower? Don?t we all use the same city services in the same way? Gee the under developed area?s seem to use them more?fire, emt, and police response.

That's EXACTLY how property taxes work everywhere else in the US. Property taxes are based on property values. This is not some sort of novel idea. It is, essentially, a FLAT TAX, where the same rate is assessed against the value of each property.

The argument that poorer areas use as much, or more, city services could be extended to cover other forms of taxation. Why should I pay for school taxes if I don't have kids in public school? Why should I pay for Obamacare if I never get sick? Why shouldn't the poor woman with three kids have to pay more for school taxes than the one with a single kid? We don't do taxes that way in this country. More expensive houses pay more taxes, just like higher earners pay more in taxes that lower earners, even though they likely rely less on government largesse. That's just the way it works.

Fulop bullsh*t aside, it doesn't seem fair to me to have your taxes raised due to property appreciation. That's a paper gain not a cash gain and yet you have to pay the taxes.

But hey, government gotta get paiiiiiiiiiiiiid
problem is then you have high-rise towers that end up paying the same amount as a couple of smaller brownstones. Meaning that the hundreds of people living in the tower pay far less in taxes than someone with a small two family home.

There are some states that tax purely based on acreage instead of property value. It does encourage vertical development, but it also hits less wealthy people *really hard* and would probably push NJ municipalities to having sales and income taxes or something else to balance it out.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Your basic error is calling it tax on appreciation. It's not. It's a tax on VALUE.

They're getting the same services from the city that taxes are supposed to pay for. If staying where you are is more meaningful than taking the cash and moving, it's easy to extract the cash to pay taxes. But having your cake and eating it too is unfair.

What is the "fair" way to establish value ?

Still totally subjective considering some ppl do gut renovation revamps on their properties and others are still using heating
oil (intently applied to Fulop's Ogden Ave 25x100 lot).....

Posted on: 2016/4/5 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Taxes on sale are stupid. Assessed values should be realistic and taxes simply a percentage of that value. That way neighbors aren't thousands apart for comparable properties as they are around here.

furthermore it goes both ways, if RE values go down so should assessed values. Obviously local government might have to raise the percentage to break even but they'd have to explain what they're doing and why.

It's such a simple concept but sadly many people game it and come up with nonsensical formulas to protect politically favored groups, neighborhoods, etc...

Posted on: 2016/4/5 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
it'd be much fairer to have the taxes on real estate appreciation be paid upon a sale, not before. Market value appreciation is not cash in hand and yet taxes are cash out of pocket.

Your basic error is calling it tax on appreciation. It's not. It's a tax on VALUE. It's completely unfair to have the longtime owner paying a fraction of the newer owner just because they've owned longer. They're getting the same services from the city that taxes are supposed to pay for. If staying where you are is more meaningful than taking the cash and moving, it's easy to extract the cash to pay taxes. But having your cake and eating it too is unfair.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users

What about the landlord who is benefiting from higher rents due to appreciating values? They get a pass on higher taxes until they sell? Market appreciation is cash in hand for them.

Quote:

But it'd be much fairer to have the taxes on real estate appreciation be paid upon a sale, not before. Market value appreciation is not cash in hand and yet taxes are cash out of pocket.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Fulop bullsh*t aside, it doesn't seem fair to me to have your taxes raised due to property appreciation. That's a paper gain not a cash gain and yet you have to pay the taxes.

Yeah they do it like that in CA and other places, where taxes only go up upon sale. It's called "welcome neighbor, you're fucked!" You have people owning identical properties with the new resident paying taxes many times that of the longtime one. How fair is that?

Taxes have to be disclosed upon the sale, so it is factored into the price, like any other liability. So if two properties are identical, the one with the higher tax liability will be worth less.

Quote:

Over the 19 years I've been here, on average properties have appreciated each year far more than their annual taxes. People gotta suck it up. And making taxes fair is a completely different issue from reducing gov't waste. I'm all for the latter, but all these excuses for tax unfairness is ridiculous.

Reducing government waste? Sure, no one said you can't do that at the same time.

But it'd be much fairer to have the taxes on real estate appreciation be paid upon a sale, not before. Market value appreciation is not cash in hand and yet taxes are cash out of pocket.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Yeah they do it like that in CA and other places, where taxes only go up upon sale. It's called "welcome neighbor, you're fucked!" You have people owning identical properties with the new resident paying taxes many times that of the longtime one. How fair is that?

Over the 19 years I've been here, on average properties have appreciated each year far more than their annual taxes. People gotta suck it up. And making taxes fair is a completely different issue from reducing gov't waste. I'm all for the latter, but all these excuses for tax unfairness is ridiculous.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
DanL wrote:
????.., they are continuing the gross inequity of jersey city property taxes where the poorest areas of the city pay to subsidize the wealthiest.

I see people on nj.com saying the same thing. Where is this happening? Below are a few similar properties from all over Jersey City?. 25 X 100 lot, 2 story, 2 unit. Is the argument that houses sell for a lot more in highly developed parts of the city so their taxes should be higher? And in the under developed area?s their taxes should be much lower? Don?t we all use the same city services in the same way? Gee the under developed area?s seem to use them more?fire, emt, and police response.

That's EXACTLY how property taxes work everywhere else in the US. Property taxes are based on property values. This is not some sort of novel idea. It is, essentially, a FLAT TAX, where the same rate is assessed against the value of each property.

The argument that poorer areas use as much, or more, city services could be extended to cover other forms of taxation. Why should I pay for school taxes if I don't have kids in public school? Why should I pay for Obamacare if I never get sick? Why shouldn't the poor woman with three kids have to pay more for school taxes than the one with a single kid? We don't do taxes that way in this country. More expensive houses pay more taxes, just like higher earners pay more in taxes that lower earners, even though they likely rely less on government largesse. That's just the way it works.

Ok yeah I get the part about services....thx. So what it comes down to is location. The houses I listed below are identical in every way 25 X 100 lot, 2 story, 2 unit and condition. So the ones in DT and maybe the Heights will be in the 1/3 that go way up. The ones in the other parts will go down or remain the same.

Journal Square: $8,200
Union St.: $3,800
Christ Hospital: $7,800
Danforth: $7,800
North St.: $8,700
Bayview: $5,600
Erie: $11,600
Erie: $16,700
Arlington: $5,500
5th St.: $6,500
5th St.: $6,200

PS - so I guess it is a good thing for DT that it has been pushed off for 3 years now. Having other area's of JC movin' on up will lessen the coming tax increase on DT because those area's like Journal Square and parts of the Heights will also be hit.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 16:47

Edited by neverleft on 2016/4/5 17:04:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
DanL wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/5 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
DanL wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/5 16:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I can't believe that Fulop would waste Jersey City (and state) resources fighting this.

I don't know how the appeals process works, but any objective person (who understands math) will see how inequitable JC's taxes are and will side with the state.

The appeal will be futile and at best just delay the inevitable. The appeal will just prolong uncertainty about how high taxes will rise downtown and then, by causing delay, just let real estate prices diverge even more from official assessments.

Like a few other people here, I don't understand why there isn't any fury about the lack of equitable taxation from people who live in sections of JC where values haven't increased that much since 1988. There are people who are overpaying by thousands of dollars a year.

Good point, Fulop is using city funds on legal fees to stop a reval. These funds could have gone into the city to improve it. All so he could kick the can down the road for the next mayor.

Exactly!

Gov Christie is absolutely pulling politics with this maneuver. He wants Fulop to take a hit so that his buddy Sweeney can be the next in line. That doesn't negate the fact that Fulop is playing politics with the wallets of those in BeLa, Greenville, Journal Square and the Heights.

It's one giant pissing contest which means there's at least two dicks involved...

Fulop should take the hit, he's the one who's using city funds to delay a much needed reval for political reasons. Sure, Christie doesn't like Fulop but this still needs to be done.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 16:04

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017