Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City bicyclist in serious condition in hit and run: cops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love bikes and ride mine all over the city. But I ride in the STREET, use common sense/courtesy, and cars don't scare me. I think part of the problem is that people move to a city and imagine this car-free lifestyle and then are afraid to ride in traffic. Browse through the craigslist used bike ads, they're full of listings saying I THOUGHT I'D LIKE RIDING IN THE CITY BUT I HATE IT.
no sympathy here for cyclists who flout the law...ride on sidewalks or don't stop at red lights or stop signs....they are asking for trouble

Posted on: 2015/6/24 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Don't get me wrong, I love bikes and ride mine all over the city. But I ride in the STREET, use common sense/courtesy, and cars don't scare me. I think part of the problem is that people move to a city and imagine this car-free lifestyle and then are afraid to ride in traffic. Browse through the craigslist used bike ads, they're full of listings saying I THOUGHT I'D LIKE RIDING IN THE CITY BUT I HATE IT.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I recently started commuting by bike - which I was terrified to do - and have found I feel quite safe and the drivers are far more aware than I expected. This makes me feel even better.

Maybe you can tell that to the woman who flew past me on her bike on Warren Street - on the sidewalk - at 7 am this morning shouting "GET OUT OF THE WAY!".

That, right there, is COMPLETELY wrong. I hate (HATE!) all these cyclists riding on sidewalks JUST BECAUSE. We have had this discussion here many times, and it is actually mind boggling to see so many people to try and justify and rationalize the riding of bikes on sidewalks. Any asshat (female or male) riding on a sidewalk, at full speed, and yelling at people to get out of their way, should get a little (much deserved) street justice in the form or a push or shove. I once had two guys riding abreast fly past me on a sidewalk over by Newport, and they almost clipped my daughter. I had to contain myself to keep from shoving them. Next time, I may not be able to show so much self restraint.

With greater population density comes greater conflict. As our streets get more crowded, either these bikers will come to their senses and start obeying the law, or we will see physical confrontations like you are describing.

If you do shove a biker over who deserves it, make sure you can physically handle the fight that is sure to come afterwards.

For those who enjoy a bit of dark humor... the FAA uses a somewhat "interesting" way to describe aircraft collisions which more or less goes like this: failure to maintain proper separation resulting in the two crafts attempting to occupy the same space at the same time. In some manuals, they state the principle as "two portions of matter cannot at the same time occupy the same space". On a sidewalk collision between a pedestrian and cyclist, two (or, three) things will happen: 1) the cyclist may fall or get injured (unless said cyclist was sufficiently aware of the impending collision and prepared accordingly, in which case he could have potentially avoided it in the first place) 2) the pedestrian may get injured (as a result of the impact, or a subsequent fall) 3) any assignment of fault will undoubtedly go against the cyclist, who is legally prohibited from riding on the sidewalk (assuming this is an adult, since kids are exempted from that law). So, if you are strong/stocky enough to withstand a low speed collision with a bike, you need not worry about #2 or #3.

And, by the way, I am not advocating violence towards towards cyclists/bikers. That would be self defeating, since I am a hardcore cyclist and often commute that way. But, abusive or inconsiderate cyclist give all of us a bad name. We need to self-police for the good of everyone.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I recently started commuting by bike - which I was terrified to do - and have found I feel quite safe and the drivers are far more aware than I expected. This makes me feel even better.

Maybe you can tell that to the woman who flew past me on her bike on Warren Street - on the sidewalk - at 7 am this morning shouting "GET OUT OF THE WAY!".

That, right there, is COMPLETELY wrong. I hate (HATE!) all these cyclists riding on sidewalks JUST BECAUSE. We have had this discussion here many times, and it is actually mind boggling to see so many people to try and justify and rationalize the riding of bikes on sidewalks. Any asshat (female or male) riding on a sidewalk, at full speed, and yelling at people to get out of their way, should get a little (much deserved) street justice in the form or a push or shove. I once had two guys riding abreast fly past me on a sidewalk over by Newport, and they almost clipped my daughter. I had to contain myself to keep from shoving them. Next time, I may not be able to show so much self restraint.

With greater population density comes greater conflict. As our streets get more crowded, either these bikers will come to their senses and start obeying the law, or we will see physical confrontations like you are describing.

If you do shove a biker over who deserves it, make sure you can physically handle the fight that is sure to come afterwards.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:

Yes, of course, I completely agree with this. I can't even understand the mindset of someone who does that. I'm not sure what to do about jerks like that, whether car drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, what have you. Please realize most of us are not like that, and I'm sorry you had that experience. Reminds me of when I lived in Brooklyn and a guy was riding really fast on the sidewalk weaving in out of pedestrians, and then fell off his bike. Everyone on the sidewalk applauded.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/24 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/24 15:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/24 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So much drama and histrionics...

Let's look at the FACTS by using the NJ State Police data.

YTD Stats (through June 23)

FATAL CRASHES
2015 - 221
2014 - 239
2013 - 233

FATALITIES
2015 - 234
2014 - 251
2013 - 245
??
VICTIM CLASSIFICATION

DRIVER: 130
PASSENGER: 39
PEDALCYCLIST: 9
PEDESTRIAN: 67

DRIVER: 138
PASSENGER: 38
PEDALCYCLIST: 6
PEDESTRIAN: 69

DRIVER: 125
PASSENGER: 38
PEDALCYCLIST: 3
PEDESTRIAN: 68

Maybe, instead of banning bicycles, we should ban drivers and passengers. Or, pedestrians! They sure seem to die in much greater numbers. All the people that bemoan cyclists, bicycles sharing the road and (imagined) carnage are way off. Bicycles sharing the road with cars is not inherently dangerous if people use some common sense. Overall, the amount of cyclists killed each year is actually quite low. In 2012, 14 cyclists were killed in NJ, and 45 in all of NY. In a perfect world, there would be none, but let's keep things in perspective.

Stats above taken from here.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wonder if its time that we have State or Local regulations about where bikes can be ridden on; with no bike lanes, maybe bikes are not to be ridden on high use traffic roads or where the speed limits exceeds a certain speed (a bike on a road with cars zooming by at 30+ miles an hour without a designated bike lane can't be safe)

Aren't all local roads in Hudson County 25 mph ? And also wondering here if a cyclist is involved in an accident on a non-bike lane road would that put all other parties involved not at fault ? This would make a great debate in the courtroom among the attorneys and insurance reps.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 22:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if its time that we have State or Local regulations about where bikes can be ridden on; with no bike lanes, maybe bikes are not to be ridden on high use traffic roads or where the speed limits exceeds a certain speed (a bike on a road with cars zooming by at 30+ miles an hour without a designated bike lane can't be safe)

Posted on: 2015/6/23 21:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City to Make Ghost Bikes Permanent Memorials
June 23, 2015 Jayne Freeman

Two years ago this June, Jersey City residents were shocked to hear that Natalia Caicedo (known to locals as Natasha), the friendly restaurateur of Kraverie had been struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver while riding her bike. The community rallied around her grief-struck widower, Christian Usher, as heartfelt condolences and donations poured in for him during that difficult period.

Bike JC, our local citizen-based advocacy organization, was also saddened and concerned by the news, knowing that many of our streets were not bike-friendly at the time. The city has since laid miles of bike lanes and raised safety awareness, yet an accident like Natasha?s brings attention to the simple fact that anyone can be struck down in the blink of an eye. Later that year, in the winter of 2013, another young woman, Ayako Okabe, was struck on her bike while crossing U.S. Route 1 & 9. (That entire roadway, with its narrow lanes and heavy truck traffic, is considered extremely unsafe for cyclists.) Ayako had come to the U.S. from Japan for adventure and was commuting home from her last day at work when she was felled by a driver who did not stop at the time. To make her death even more tragic, Okabe was scheduled to return permanently to Japan and reunite with her husband the following week.

Read more here - http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... ikes-permanent-memorials/

Posted on: 2015/6/23 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Will the bike thieves of Coles St. steal the ghost bike next?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I find it morbid.

Well, a young woman dying in a hit and run is pretty morbid. Life is morbid. I think it's a fitting tribute, it reminds people that we still have a major issue both with how people drive and cycle in the city. It sends a clearer message than just tying fake flowers and teddy bears to a fence like some roadside memorials I've seen (those quickly get very sad and shabby looking without upkeep).

Posted on: 2013/8/26 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I find it morbid.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Its just an idea some other cities are implementing - Increase the width of the sidewalk to accommodate bikes and have clear markings on the sidewalk dividing the two. A speed cycling sign could be displayed / painted on the path to prevent lycra clad speeders / racers going crazy.
Large embedded rubber sections (like at childrens playgrounds) at crosswalks could be installed to slow speeding cyclists and heighten safety at these intersections

This will also mitigate 'doorings' and being clipped by cars on the carriageway.

Its only an idea that might need tweaking and costing but should keep most parties happy - If a bike path is going to take away a portion of roadway anyway, why not increase the sidewalk to make it even safer for them the ride and more room for pedestrians?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/26 0:56
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
ghost bike for natasha - (right click and view image)

Resized Image

E. Assata Wright

A ghost bike dedicated to the memory of Natasha Caicedo has found a new home on Marin Boulevard at the corner of Grand Street.

Caicedo, a co-owner of the popular Kraverie restaurant on Mercer Street, was hit and killed while riding her bike on Marin Boulevard the evening of June 20 by an alleged hit and run driver. Caicedo is among several pedestrians and cyclists who have been hit by vehicles this year, leading to calls from residents for increased safety protections.

The Caicedo tribute is one of more than 500 similar ghost bikes that have been created in cities throughout the world to simultaneously honor cyclists who have been hit and killed by drivers and to raise awareness among the public about road safety.

The bike in honor of Caicedo, painted white to evoke those who have passed, was originally parked elsewhere on Marin, but was removed by Saint Peter?s Preparatory School, which owns the land on which the bike was parked.
Visitors to New York City may have noticed the ominous-looking white ghost bikes at a few locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The bikes, which are often parked at or near the scenes of fatal hit-and-run sites, are meant to be ?quiet statements in support of cyclists' right to safe travel,? according to the New York City Street Memorial Project. The group uses the bikes as educational art installations designed to spark conversation.

?Every day cyclists wanted to remember Natasha and bring a sense of realness to her tragedy,? said downtown activist Dan Levin, a board member of Bike JC, a local organization that formed in 2009 and has been advocating for local bike routes. ?The ghost bike is a somber visual reminder for all bicyclists to be aware and use caution.?

The ghost bike in Caicedo?s memory, which was created by two residents who wish to remain anonymous, is a first for Jersey City.

City lags behind neighbors

Jersey City lags behind New York and the neighboring city of Hoboken when it comes to cycling safety. Last year, the city created its first marked bike lanes on Grove Street, and various redevelopment plans throughout the city call for both designated bike lanes and marked sharrows. But these plans have been slow to materialize even as the number of cyclists seems to increase each year.

When Jersey City initially drafted its master plan in 2005, bike routes were part of the plan. However, under the master plan that was officially adopted the city vowed only to create bike lanes ?where feasible,? language that has left this green transit option on the back burner ever since.

New York City, in contrast, has a large network of bike lanes that have been significantly expanded under current Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and New York and Hoboken have each launched ?bike share? programs to encourage residents to rely on bikes rather than cars for simple errands and local transportation.

Increasing road safety for cyclists and pedestrians and cracking down on speeding among drivers were among the top safety/quality of life concerns raised by residents who attended four town hall meetings hosted by Mayor Steven Fulop in May.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Jersey City ghost bike gets new home Tribute to local restaurant owner designed to increase safety for cyclists

Posted on: 2013/8/25 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ghost bike for natasha - (right click and view image)

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/16 19:02

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/7/17 3:12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/29 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
I dislike helmet discussions after accidents because it's too easy for people to blame the victim. There is a debate about the helmet issue. They can be completely ineffective, and can even be detrimental to cyclist's safety in some cases. Studies have shown drivers will pass closer to cyclists wearing helmets.

My posts have nothing to do with blaming the victim. Rather, I'm using the instance to point out a situation that might have been far less tragic had she been wearing a helmet. It honors her to use her example and hope that people will learn from what happened, rather than have this re-occur because they make the same mistake.

Perhaps you missed my earlier post - I was hit and run by a car when I was 13, and end up with a skull fracture and severe concussion. I, too, was not wearing a helmet - but this was 30 years ago, when nobody used them (not for lack of education, but because they just weren't part of what most non-professional riders even considered). I, as I'm sure she would be had she survived, am now about as big a helmet advocate as you're gonna find. Live and learn - literally.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is, there are stores and businesses all along there, resulting in delivery trucks. With the bike lane in place they will never be able to receive deliveries as there are never legitimate parking spaces availble, forcing the double parking.

One solution would be to make that strip of Grove "no parking except for deliveries".

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Just feet from her restaurant, you can see the bike lanes on Grove Street.

The city has plans to put in miles more.

But there are problem with the lanes, for starters, double parked drivers.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... cal/new_jersey&id=9153156

I hate to co-opt this sad story with so much talk of bicycle safety, but I just had to share this photo I took YESTERDAY right across from City Hall on Grove Street:

Resized Image

There are no less than four cars and trucks parked in the bike lane. And as usual, ZERO enforcement. All within a few steps of Kraverie's front door.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jwave wrote:

Further, all community-minded cyclists bear a responsibility to educate others not to salmon, the dangers and illegaility of which may not be understood by all. When I come across another cyclist salmoning I make it a point to let them know they should be riding with traffic (and to stay off the sidewalks, which is also dangerous and against the law - adults only, of course).
!

I used to do that but gave up when just about every response I get is some variation of the F-bomb. The level of entitlement oozing out of people in this town is mind boggling. Last year, I came on JC List to call out one particular couple who rode their bikes on the sidewalk of Grove Street. It was a nice spring weekend afternoon, so the sidewalk was full of pedestrians, especially between Columbus and Montgomery with all that restaurant sidewalk seating. The couple persisted in riding their bikes on the sidewalk even after pedestrians pointed out the bike lane. Well, within the hour, the husband had logged onto JC List to argue that they were entitled to ride on the sidewalk because his wife didn't feel comfortable on the street. In his mind, it was OK to transfer the risk onto pedestrians rather than, say, walk their bikes on the sidewalk or have his wife take a bicycle safety course.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Would better street lighting help ? L.E.D lighting is 10 times more cost effective and we could have more situated along our streets that are popular with cyclists - The city could save a heap on energy costs with an initial outlay of l.e.d lighting or even the installation of solar panels - Imagine if the city had solar panels on all city building that went into street lights!
The extra lighting would also help with crime control by mitigating opportunists committing crimes by the cover of night - Even dog walkers might feel safer taking a late night stroll!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
[
I don't see any victim blaming. I think it's an opportunity to increase safety awareness. It helps her death not be in vain.

Exactly.

"Being seen" by drivers is the first and most critical element to avoiding being struck while cycling. This is especially so as drivers become less attentive due to smartphone use while driving. While reflectors can help, they are vastly inferior to the small and inexpensive LED lights out there (like bringing a knife to a gun fight, as the saying goes). The lights I am talking about are eye-catching not just in the dark but also during transitions at dawn and dusk or on cloudy days. Check out this video, especially minute 1:24, which illustrates this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acr9r ... ture=youtube_gdata_player

Detailed reviews and comparison of the lights here:
http://bicycles.blogoverflow.com/2012/03/tail-light-review/

Posted on: 2013/6/27 10:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
There is a debate about the helmet issue. They can be completely ineffective, and can even be detrimental to cyclist's safety in some cases.

How'd that work out for Gary Busey?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/6/27 10:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Any safety device is only as good as an attentive motorist - The cyclist is at the mercy of a driver if they are not drunk, affected by drugs, texting or talking on a cell phone.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 8:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This tragedy has made me start wearing my helmet again when I cycle to work every day.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
I dislike helmet discussions after accidents because it's too easy for people to blame the victim. There is a debate about the helmet issue. They can be completely ineffective, and can even be detrimental to cyclist's safety in some cases. Studies have shown drivers will pass closer to cyclists wearing helmets.

I agree that victim-blaming has no place in this discussion, however, what better time to bring up personal safety than when a tragedy is fresh in peoples' minds?

I don't see any victim blaming. I think it's an opportunity to increase safety awareness. It helps her death not be in vain.

I like the idea of a visual cue the width of handlebars on the back of a bike - maybe with reflectors on the ends? Anyone have experience outfitting their bike with one?

If you have a rear rack, it's very easy. Otherwise you could mount a lightweight aluminum bar under the back of the saddle or mounted to the rear caliper mount, if you have that.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:

I agree that victim-blaming has no place in this discussion, however, what better time to bring up personal safety than when a tragedy is fresh in peoples' minds?

I like the idea of a visual cue the width of handlebars on the back of a bike - maybe with reflectors on the ends? Anyone have experience outfitting their bike with one?

Posted on: 2013/6/26 23:52

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017