Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Public Safety Director Press Release
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I have little doubt that Howard Safir will perform due diligence when he seeks and evaluates prospective individuals for this extremely important role.
The cost for this search is cost effective as a poor appointment could cost the taxpayers of JC 10 fold - Look at our current problem with our senior police (rats jumping ship) and the huge payouts for their poor quality of service over their past 20 years.

We need this appointment to be independent void of any 'strings' attached to a history of inept appointees and those that had appointed them.....employ the best to get the best.

10/10 to Fulop

Posted on: 2013/6/21 3:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
While I applaud the new mayor for taking a fresh look at the structure and function of public safety, it seems odd to include funding from a non-profit headed by a sitting council member whose organization's mission statement has nothing really to do with public safety.

Isn't this also a conflict as a 501c3 really shouldn't align itself with political initiatives if it is to remain true to best practices?

Ms. Coleman may also want to update the Guidestar.com records that indicate her organization's non-profit status was revoked. I'm sure this isn't the case, but others are commenting on it negatively in the NJ.com story (comments section):

http://www.guidestar.org/organization ... 8084/building-empire.aspx

Posted on: 2013/6/20 20:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
More of a potential problem than the resources spent on the search is the fact that Howard Safir is to lead the evaluation. Safir was at the helm during two of the most damaging incidents in recent NYPD history, namely the torture of Abner Louima and the murder of Amadou Diallo. He oversaw the expansion of the NYPD Street Crime Unit, whose aggressive tactics have been cited as the genesis of the ?Stop and Frisk? policy that is the department?s current albatross in minority communities. If there is to be a renewed effort toward community policing and rebuilding a diverse and representative police force, this seems an odd point of departure.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Why are private organizations and personal monies being used and spent on tax payer services ??

If our mayor-elect spent seventy-grand in tax dollars on a headhunter, he would open his administration to criticism for lacking the experience and connections that would allow them to find and vet the best candidates themselves. This way it costs us nothing, the administration gains experience, and ideally, the position is filled with the right person.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The firm headed by a former New York City police and fire commissioner will conduct a search for a Jersey City public-safety director and an audit of the city's police and fire departments, Mayor-elect Steve Fulop announced today.

Fulop has tapped Vigilant Resources International, led by former NYC Commissioner Howard Safir, to conduct the search without any cost to city taxpayers, according to the mayor-elect's office.

Fulop said he wants to "make a break" from the city's usual method of finding talent.

"Jersey City deserves the best and brightest to oversee public safety,? he said. ?My priority is the safety for all the citizens of Jersey City, and I am excited to have Waterfront corporations contributing to this effort as funding partners.?

The search and audit will cost about $70,000, funded with private donations raised by Fulop and by Building an Empire, a local nonprofit headed by Fulop ally Ward F City Councilwoman Diane Coleman.

?Howard Safir has the knowledge, experience and contacts to help ensure that our director of public safety has the leadership, management, technical and interpersonal skills to be a productive member of my administration,? Fulop said.

Safir was New York City's fire commissioner under former Mayor Rudy Giuliani until April 1996, when Guiliani appointed him police commissioner. He resigned in August 2000.

During Safir's tenure running the New York City Police Department, crime dropped sharply in all categories, but he came under fire after incidents like the torture of Abner Louima and the shooting death of Amadou Diallo.

Safir will also conduct a restructuring plan for the police and fire departments, Fulop's office announced today.

There is no Department of Public Safety, but outgoing Mayor Jerramiah Healy proposed creating one in his State of the City address in 2012. The proposal went nowhere, but Fulop wants to revive the idea.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Why are private organizations and personal monies being used and spent on tax payer services ??

Clearly so the Fulop admin can avoid accusations of "wasting public funds". Outside professionals!!! How un-JC. Traditional JC, that is, where the homegrown with mediocre educations and parochial experience are our "best and brightest".

Posted on: 2013/6/20 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/20 17:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Public Safety Director Press Release
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
From the Office of Jersey City Mayor-elect Steven Fulop

Howard Safir, Former NYC Police and Fire Commissioner, to Conduct Search for Jersey City?s Next Public Safety Director

Mayor-Elect Fulop Partners With Jersey City Business Community for Search

JERSEY CITY ? June 20, 2013 ? Mayor-elect Steven Fulop announced today that the firm of former New York City Police and Fire Commissioner Howard Safir has been retained to conduct a search for a public safety director and audit of the police structure.

?We?re making a break from the way it has been done in the past because I?m committed to providing the best public safety services possible. Jersey City deserves the best and brightest to oversee public safety,? Fulop said. ?My priority is the safety for all the citizens of Jersey City, and I am excited to have waterfront corporations contributing to this effort as funding partners.?

Safir?s firm, Vigilant Resources International, will be paid through private donations raised by Steven Fulop and ?Building An Empire,? a non-profit organization in Jersey City headed by Councilwoman Diane Coleman. No tax dollars will be used for the search; funds will be raised through local corporate businesses.

Safir is a nationally and internationally recognized public safety expert who was appointed Fire Commissioner in New York City under the administration of Mayor Rudolph Giuliani in 1994. Two years later, Giuliani appointed him police commissioner, a position he held until 2000.

During Safir?s tenure, major crimes decreased by 38 percent while homicides fell 44 percent to their lowest level in three decades. Safir is the only person to serve as both fire and police commissioner in New York City.

?Howard Safir has the knowledge, experience and contacts to help ensure that our director of public safety has the leadership, management, technical and interpersonal skills to be a productive member of my administration,? Fulop said.

Safir will also conduct a restructuring plan for the police and fire departments to communicate the goals, objectives, and milestones expected to be achieved during the first 120 days of the Fulop Administration.

?I am confident we will attract new leadership for our world-class police and fire departments, resulting in less crime, better response times, and fewer citizen complaints,? Fulop said.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 17:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017