Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to restrict use of municipal vehicles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Taking care of their own...how noble.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. Far from it. It just happens to be political reality. Not just in NJ, but pretty much most places that don't have robust laws in place against this sort of thing.

I was serious I applaud those that take care of their own before anyone else. Let visitors and out of towners wait "family" first. If there is something left then maybe we can spare and share.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 16:52
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
About time.... I see those cars in cities other than JC all the time.
Now dump the rest of those "Team Healy" clowns starting with the building & permit dept & cultural affairs.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

I'm not saying it's a good thing. Far from it. It just happens to be political reality. Not just in NJ, but pretty much most places that don't have robust laws in place against this sort of thing.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
@jcdd & @jadedjc

I am sure there are plenty of other crappy municipalities in Jersey (and relatively close) that I am sure can host/hire people with JC experience...

I don't know of any that are in hiring mode, plus the politicos there have their own to take care of. They all face the same - if not worse - budget constraints as JC and are probably looking to pare their workforces as well.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 14:21
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
@jcdd & @jadedjc

I am sure there are plenty of other crappy municipalities in Jersey (and relatively close) that I am sure can host/hire people with JC experience...

I don't know of any that are in hiring mode, plus the politicos there have their own to take care of. They all face the same - if not worse - budget constraints as JC and are probably looking to pare their workforces as well.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
@jcdd & @jadedjc

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City - Never in the field of human governance was so much owed by so few to so many when it comes to the self-serving behavior of our city officials with ratepayers funds - fat-ass-bike

Posted on: 2013/6/20 10:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe this is a bit farfetched, but....

Perhaps the city can dispose of many of these cars entirely. Then enter into an agreement with Zipcar or one of the other car sharing entities that gives the city exclusive use of the cars during regular city business hours, and allows them to be used for the public during the weekend, which is the peak time for zipcar use.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Christine wrote:
The parking authority is a total waste of the city's money. My favorite conversation that I had with them was when they told me that I had to provide proof that a driveway was illegal in order for them to deal with it. Euuuukkaaayy...doesn't the misspelling of the word "parking" tip someone off and if you really want me to impress you, may I point out that the curb is not broken.

If the curb is not broken then it is not a driveway & the person doing this is guilty of driving on the public sidewalk.

The Parking Authority is filled with people that Healy owed because they did all his dirty ground work. If you want to know whether a driveway is legal or not, the agency to call is Zoning.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Fifty-eight cars no longer being driven all over. The savings in gas alone could be quite nice.

Let's say, for the sake of argument that the City is paying $2.75 for gas. Each car is allowed 18 gallons/week (using what U.C. allows). That is $49.50/car/week or $2871/week for all 58 cars or $149,242.00/year. That's not too shabby & that's only for gas.

I can't wait to see all the cry babies lined up turning in their keys.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
It is true that the city employees that we would most like to be rid of probably would not be able to get a job in the private sector, especially given the current job market.

But maybe a good chunk of them will retire once they are expected to abide by rules and do work. Perhaps others will actually get disciplined or fired for any improprieties they mistakingly think they can still get away with.

This is not meant to denigrate ALL city employees, by any means. I have worked in the public sector because I love being able to "do the right thing" and serve the public. There are many very dedicated public servants out there. But it is time to start cleaning house and putting the shenanigans to rest for good. I feel so optimistic about JC's future for the first time!

Posted on: 2013/6/20 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Great start!

BTW, what happened to the pay to play initiative that Fulop was trying to introduce about 4 years ago? (When they changed the rule on how many signatures he needed.) Does that still need to be done?

Posted on: 2013/6/20 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

I would gamble there is internal (JC muni) sentiment that people will quit as these 'benefits' disappear... and I bet Fulop and team are saying, "Good!"

I don't think we'll be rid of them that easily. It's not like these people are cut out to find employment in the private sector.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, Brewster, I remembered another one. They asked me if I would fax THEM part of a city parking ordinance that I was trying to discuss with them. They had no knowledge of it. It was a subsection of an ordinance. Isn't that like having to bring your own bread to a sandwich shop? Crazy!!

Posted on: 2013/6/19 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Christine wrote:
The parking authority is a total waste of the city's money. My favorite conversation that I had with them was when they told me that I had to provide proof that a driveway was illegal in order for them to deal with it. Euuuukkaaayy...doesn't the misspelling of the word "parking" tip someone off and if you really want me to impress you, may I point out that the curb is not broken.

C'mon, that's the worst JCPA story you got? Mine is the the big one, they LOSE money on writing parking tickets! And it's actually not that hard to verify a legal driveway, they made me do it when I wanted them to paint "no parking" on mine. You call somebody, and they get back to you a couple of weeks later, if I recall.

BTW, I doubt anything the JCPA does will convince your poor spelling neighbors that they shouldn't vandalize your car if you park in front of "their driveway".

Posted on: 2013/6/19 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/19 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Beyond the savings - echoing below comments - this is a step to end entitlements... let?s keep hacking away at things like this.

My elaboration on the topic...

I would gamble there is internal (JC muni) sentiment that people will quit as these 'benefits' disappear... and I bet Fulop and team are saying, "Good!"

The intelligent move here is to push the useless out (motivate them to quit on their own) and replace them with motivated employees. JC in terms of municipal experience is solid - it's operationally huge and diverse... you may have to deal with a simple municipal pay check for a few years, but I'm sure it can be parlayed into a high powered consulting role.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
It's too bad we can't sell the 58 vehicles. Still, that's A LOT of gas and maintenance bills that will reduce dramatically. Employees were taking family vacations with these cars.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Tyler wrote:
How much is the savings by doing this?

Not as important as what jackp said, changing the culture. We want to change the city from being a giant tit for the municipal employees and contractors to suck dry, to a city being run by and for it's citizens. Eventually we'll get to the really big waste (MUA, JCIA, JCPA) if we start with the small waste.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 18:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
How much is the savings by doing this?

Posted on: 2013/6/19 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I couldnt agree more with Bodhipooh! The way you fix Jersey City will be through a thousand initiatives like this. Steve is on the right track taking on things that he can actually accomplish right away and try to build a culture of thoughtful spending of our tax dollars.

No voter's remorse here!

Posted on: 2013/6/19 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
About time! This is essentially a shot across the bow for all the corrupt old-timers who were (mistakenly) hoping to keep milking our city. I hope this is only the beginning of many more "small" (but significant) changes.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 18:01

Jersey City to restrict use of municipal vehicles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Only Jersey City emergency responders will be permitted to take municipal vehicles home starting August 1, thanks to a new policy announced by Mayor-elect Steve Fulop.

Read more

Posted on: 2013/6/19 17:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017