Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Cory Booker: the inexorable rise of Newark's neoliberal egomaniac
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
You're ignoring Christie's record on pension reform, tenure reform, beginning to pay back into the pension system (something Obama has suspended on a Federal level while the Fed keeps pumping billions into the economy to support it), among other things-all done in a model of bi-partisan harmony.

I can't really point to anything substantial that Booker has accomplished to improve the lives of Newarkers.

The pension started getting paid back during Corzine's awful tenure. Tenure reform happened across the country and it was done poorly (somehow newly hired teachers can make more out of the gate than those on the job for years). Pension reform, as well, is another non-starter as it was done quite shady.

I'm not union and haven't been since I worked as check-out clerk during the summer while I was in high school. However, bargaining in good faith is something people should strive for. The unions gave up ground in certain areas (saving state money) in order to keep other items in their pension (something they were promised when hired). After the state agreed, they went back and passed legislation (The D's are just as culpable.) that took away what they promised to not touch.

I'm sorry, but I hold no respect for someone that is dishonest like that. You might find that to be perfectly fine. I don't and never will.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:33
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
You're ignoring Christie's record on pension reform, tenure reform, beginning to pay back into the pension system (something Obama has suspended on a Federal level while the Fed keeps pumping billions into the economy to support it), among other things-all done in a model of bi-partisan harmony.

I can't really point to anything substantial that Booker has accomplished to improve the lives of Newarkers.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, I think the issue isn't that Booker wasn't dealt a bad hand (he clearly was) but that he's been so busy promoting himself with the glitterati while Newark has been imploding. While some may say it's similar to the national presence that Christie has been achieving, the gap between what Christie actually accomplished vs the lack of anything that Booker can point towards is glaring.

I disagree. I don?t think Christie has accomplished anything. A slower job growth across the state than the national average. An increase in poverty, etc? One could argue that their achievements are basically the same.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
At times Booker has been candidly refreshing, and personally I like the guy, it's just that he can't point to anything (other than a mild corporate real estate resurgence, which is driven by state tax breaks anyway) as a great success.

Not all are state tax breaks, many are city tax breaks. All of which came at the expense of less state money coming in. Money that isn?t outweighed by the new business income.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I hope he'll turn out to be a better Senator than mayor, and he's likely to be an improvement over his predecessor, not that will be hard to do.

Of this, I?ll agree.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:13
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, I think the issue isn't that Booker wasn't dealt a bad hand (he clearly was) but that he's been so busy promoting himself with the glitterati while Newark has been imploding. While some may say it's similar to the national presence that Christie has been achieving, the gap between what Christie actually accomplished vs the lack of anything that Booker can point towards is glaring.

At times Booker has been candidly refreshing, and personally I like the guy, it's just that he can't point to anything (other than a mild corporate real estate resurgence, which is driven by state tax breaks anyway) as a great success.

I hope he'll turn out to be a better Senator than mayor, and he's likely to be an improvement over his predecessor, not that will be hard to do.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
You have to send me some of that Kool Aid you're drinking, man...

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Here's a great video of a Newark resident rebuking Bookers "great achievements" and so called progress in Newark:

http://youtu.be/tRTSrun6htA

If you truly support Booker, smash yourself in the head with a tack hammer because you are obviously mentally deficient.

Yes, because one person's view outweighs all...

Sorry, but she called Newark the Murder Capital of the World. That is quite clearly wrong.

She can scream that the city isn't better from every tower. That doesn't mean she's right.

I don't get it. I give links and articles and argue a point. You claim I'm drinking Cool-Aid. I've said it before and I'll say it again, at some point you will need to back up the ad hominums with substance.

Newark sucks. It has sucked since I was born. It got worse for a little while and then a little better and then a lot worse and now a little better. It stinks that the state took away a lot of the funding that was used to pay for police officers, which you would think would reduce crime. Unfortunately, that lack of funding hasn't been replaced with anything equating that.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:57
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
The condition of Newark is not really relevant in this election. A vote for Senator is a vote for your value system.

And Booker's stewardship of Newark doesn't reflect his value system?

How does this logic work?

No, don't get me wrong. If we lived in a Constitutional Republic, where the Federal government were limited by some sort of a Constitution to just a small set of powers like printing money, and taking care of the military and foreign relations, - then yeah, who cares if Booker is bad mayor? May be he is a great diplomat?! Who knows.

Problem is, we live in a country where the scope of power of the federal government is unlimited. Whatever Booker did as a mayor he will keep on doing, - but on a much larger scale.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Awesome. The mayor of murder city 1 (Chi-raq), stumping for the mayor or murder city 2. What a f*cking joke!!

Please post details of the rally so I can organize and protest/heckle the shit out of these fools.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger
NEWARK ? Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel will travel to Jersey City Friday to stump for Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Cory Booker, Booker's campaign said today.

Emanuel, along with Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, will headline a rally for Booker at 5:30 p.m. Booker is facing Republican Steve Lonegan in the Oct. 16 special election to fill Frank Lautenberg's Senate seat.

Prior to becoming mayor of Chicago, Emanuel was President Obama's chief of staff. His police director, Garry McCarthy, used to head the Newark Police Department.

The exact location of the rally has not yet been released.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger
NEWARK ? Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel will travel to Jersey City Friday to stump for Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Cory Booker, Booker's campaign said today.

Emanuel, along with Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, will headline a rally for Booker at 5:30 p.m. Booker is facing Republican Steve Lonegan in the Oct. 16 special election to fill Frank Lautenberg's Senate seat.

Prior to becoming mayor of Chicago, Emanuel was President Obama's chief of staff. His police director, Garry McCarthy, used to head the Newark Police Department.

The exact location of the rally has not yet been released.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
You can pick it up at 280 Grove Street, Jersey City. Same shit. There are no two people more alike in NJ politics. You like one you like the other. You don't like, you don't like the other!

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Here's a great video of a Newark resident rebuking Bookers "great achievements" and so called progress in Newark:

If you truly support Booker, smash yourself in the head with a tack hammer because you are obviously mentally deficient.

Sorry, but she called Newark the Murder Capital of the World. That is quite clearly wrong.

She can scream that the city isn't better from every tower. That doesn't mean she's right.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/13 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/13 17:18
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The condition of Newark is not really relevant in this election. A vote for Senator is a vote for your value system. Steve Lonegan wouldn't have been any better a mayor for Newark than Booker. I hardly think the tiny little village of Bogota, NJ is a shining example for anything, either. There is a clear distinction between Booker and Lonegan. Senators make laws, vote for Supreme Court Justices, shape foreign policy, etc. Big picture things. Not property taxes, school budgets, traffic fixes, and off-leash dog laws. I cannot imagine anyone being undecided at this point regarding the NJ Senatorial election. Myself, I think Booker is the more intelligent, worldly, thoughtful, and mature candidate. I think he would be more likely to vote in a manner I would wish than would Lonegan. I think Lonegan is a hateful, simple-minded little runt. But we can all agree to disagree. Booker is not my ideal candidate, but I've got to pick one of them.

I used to be a hot-headed, hard-core Republican, complete with National Review and American Spectator subscriptions. Twenty years ago I would have voted for Lonegan in a heartbeat. It's funny how someone can change when they start observing things with an open mind and try to figure things out using their own brain instead of some talk show host's.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/9/7 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Monroe wrote: Quote:
10 in 10 days, this time a 14 year old child.

Ten days, 10 dead: Shooting deaths plague Newark

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... ewark.html#incart_m-rpt-1

14-year-old Newark boy is 10th person killed in the city in as many days

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... html#incart_river_default

Posted on: 2013/9/5 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
10 in 10 days, this time a 14 year old child.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(sorry but people on nj.com and around NJ are NOT digging Cory Booker the Mayor of Brick City)
Newark announces anti-crime initiative in wake of homicide surge

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... e_surge.html#incart_river

Poll: Should Booker suspend his U.S. Senate campaign and focus on Newark?

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... _newark.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/9/5 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Pebble is either on Booker's payroll or is a really generous PR person for him. Either way, Pebble, you say I haven't proved a lack of track record...that's akin to proving a negative. It's incumbent on you and his supporters to prove he HAS done something worthy of a Senate run, which you've yet to do. The strawman comment, while inventive, doesn't distract from the fact that no one can point to solid, substantive accomplishments of Booker in almost 2 terms of serving

I?m not sure how you get to claim I?m some sort of PR person for Booker when I?ve openly stated that I won?t be voting for him. I?ve criticized him for his coziness with the governor and for choosing to go along with the farce that is this election.

I?ve stated what I feel are accomplishments. Is it good enough? You certainly don?t think so. I think that given all that Newark is, he?s had eight years and it takes a lot longer.

The fact is, you?ve made the claim that he?s an empty suit far before I ever said anything positive. Thus the burden of proof is on you. Consider it the argument of the atheist declaring there is no god.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

The number 1 improvement would be that he removed a criminal from office. Sharpe James stole money from the city and was a complete POS.

I love how this is his greatest accomplishment. Talk about strawman support of Booker! You point out that, simply because Booker hasn't stolen money or done the things Sharpe has done, this makes him worthy of the Senate. Isn't that supposed to be the minimum level of appropriate conduct to be in politics?

It's like when Chris Rock says "he's trying to credit for some sh*t he's supposed to do! 'I take care of my kids!' You're supposed to take care of your kids, ya dumb MF'er!"

Seriously!

Yes. You would think that it is the minimum level of conduct. Alas, I?ll assume you?ve been around long enough to know that simply isn?t the case.

We?ve presidents sexually harassing interns. We?ve dead bodies showing up in a congressman?s office. We?ve anti-gay Senators propositioning for illegal anonymous sex in airplane rest rooms. We?ve governors giving unqualified candidates a job. We?ve governors taking money away from Sandy victims.

If you understood how entrenched Sharpe James was in the Newark political scene you would realize that removing him from office was a grand accomplishment. Think about how despite Booker?s popularity, James? son is able to get involved and be a major thorn in Booker?s side.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

I spent a LOT of time in Newark in my youth. I used to come out to a car that was missing hub caps. I had friends lose their wallet from a drawer inside a museum?s office building, clearly stolen by someone else that worked there. I?ve been to Newark Bears games. I go to a few Devils games each year (I used to ride the bus from my house there).

Ummmm...not much has changed in this regard...at all.The majority of car thefts around northern NJ are found to end up in Newark. If you're so confident it's better, go take a stroll around midnight in wards other than where the Prudential building and the Rock are located. Let me know how that works out.

Ah, the old ?if it?s better take a stroll in the ghetto!?

Saying something is better is not the same as saying something is good enough for me to feel safe.

Did you see the episode of Kitchen Nightmares that had Spanish Pavilion of Harrison on? I had actually eaten there before and found the place awful. The show nearly made me sick since I wondered what I ate. I?ll never be back, regardless of whether someone says it is better.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

When I point out the obvious that Newark is better now than 10 years ago, despite this year?s horrendous increase in murders, I?m not speaking as a fan of Booker. I?ve already stated my reasons for disliking him.

How is that point obvious? If you think Newark is better than it was 10 years ago, how? What I, and other people on here are pointing out, is that it's not better. You defer to Jersey City's murder rate...a point that proves my point exactly! Fulop's been in office for months, and a previous poster pointed to specific actions taken to reign in crime and specifically drug and violent crime. You cannot point to the same action for Booker, and he's been in office WAY longer than Fulop.

That?s a fine argument. I just don?t think it comes down to that. I?m looking at more than just crime numbers since I think that?s such a harder task than is realized.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

At my last work location, I had a secretary that left to become a teacher in Newark. That was about 10 years ago. She would tell the story about a kid that stabbed himself with a pen and how the mother couldn?t be bothered and didn?t understand why she was even called to the school. She has since stated that things are better. It?s a little safer.

A little safer? Really, after almost 8 years in office, this is the best he can do?

Maybe so. I just don?t understand what some people expect.

Booker brought in business to an area that is a blight on the country. Nobody wants to be there. But, now you have a nice upscale wine bar sitting downtown. There is new construction right on Broad Street. A new hotel is going in Downtown as well.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

He?s running for president now?

Pebble, if you're this foolish to not realize when the wool is being pulled over your eyes, that even the Senate job is yet another lily pad for Booker to hop over for a presidential run, then I have nothing for you. I can only lead a horse to the proverbial water. It's up to you to get your literal head out of your ass. That, or stop drinking the Kool Aid long enough to see you're being made a fool.

What Kool-Aid? Is he eyeing a presidential run? Maybe. Is he running for president now? No.

I don?t think he ever runs for president. I think he?ll cap out at governor at best.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Since you're a fan of editing quotes, I'll play ball:

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
You?re I'm like a homer for my favorite baseball team. No matter what, you?ll I'll make excuses for the wrongs that the person Booker does.

That was fun!

It would be comical if it was backed by any amount of evidence. Were Booker to get my vote (definitely not for Senator) or if all I wrote was positive about Booker? Eh, what?s it matter. Anything positive written about the guy and you take at is someone being ?on their PR?.

You claim the guy is an empty suit. I gave at least some links and numbers about business and finances, items that people recognize as positive achievements. Your response is to go ad hominem and create strawmen. At some point, it would be nice if you could bring some substance besides saying, ?people were murdered!? ?Empty suit!? Unless Booker is actually committing the murders himself, there isn?t a tremendous amount that can be done.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 17:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, some feel that Booker's claim to fame is that he's the only Newark mayor in decades who hasn't been found guilty of a crime.

I say the bar should be set a bit higher than that.

And I'm old enough to remember the 67 riots and have served on two Essex County juries in Newark on murder trials.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

And I would like to hear Booker?s reasoning for why such measures are not taking place in Newark.

However, regardless of the steps taken, people are still being murdered and shot at.

As for ?nothing? in 8 years, do you remember the shooting at the school grounds in the evening where several kids were basically put up on a wall and shot? There was a bunch of crack down and then there was a record of several months without a shooting.

This one's easy: He didn't think of it, and he doesn't care.

And again, you're going to consider his response to a school shooting a great accomplishment. Something as a blip on the radar, rather than a prolonged achievement?

A few posts back you started to make sense, now you're just embarrassing yourself man.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Pebble is either on Booker's payroll or is a really generous PR person for him. Either way, Pebble, you say I haven't proved a lack of track record...that's akin to proving a negative. It's incumbent on you and his supporters to prove he HAS done something worthy of a Senate run, which you've yet to do. The strawman comment, while inventive, doesn't distract from the fact that no one can point to solid, substantive accomplishments of Booker in almost 2 terms of serving

Quote:

The number 1 improvement would be that he removed a criminal from office. Sharpe James stole money from the city and was a complete POS.

I love how this is his greatest accomplishment. Talk about strawman support of Booker! You point out that, simply because Booker hasn't stolen money or done the things Sharpe has done, this makes him worthy of the Senate. Isn't that supposed to be the minimum level of appropriate conduct to be in politics?

It's like when Chris Rock says "he's trying to credit for some sh*t he's supposed to do! 'I take care of my kids!' You're supposed to take care of your kids, ya dumb MF'er!"

Seriously!

Quote:

I spent a LOT of time in Newark in my youth. I used to come out to a car that was missing hub caps. I had friends lose their wallet from a drawer inside a museum?s office building, clearly stolen by someone else that worked there. I?ve been to Newark Bears games. I go to a few Devils games each year (I used to ride the bus from my house there).

Ummmm...not much has changed in this regard...at all.The majority of car thefts around northern NJ are found to end up in Newark. If you're so confident it's better, go take a stroll around midnight in wards other than where the Prudential building and the Rock are located. Let me know how that works out.

Quote:

When I point out the obvious that Newark is better now than 10 years ago, despite this year?s horrendous increase in murders, I?m not speaking as a fan of Booker. I?ve already stated my reasons for disliking him.

How is that point obvious? If you think Newark is better than it was 10 years ago, how? What I, and other people on here are pointing out, is that it's not better. You defer to Jersey City's murder rate...a point that proves my point exactly! Fulop's been in office for months, and a previous poster pointed to specific actions taken to reign in crime and specifically drug and violent crime. You cannot point to the same action for Booker, and he's been in office WAY longer than Fulop.

Quote:

At my last work location, I had a secretary that left to become a teacher in Newark. That was about 10 years ago. She would tell the story about a kid that stabbed himself with a pen and how the mother couldn?t be bothered and didn?t understand why she was even called to the school. She has since stated that things are better. It?s a little safer.

A little safer? Really, after almost 8 years in office, this is the best he can do?

Quote:

Pebble, if you're this foolish to not realize when the wool is being pulled over your eyes, that even the Senate job is yet another lily pad for Booker to hop over for a presidential run, then I have nothing for you. I can only lead a horse to the proverbial water. It's up to you to get your literal head out of your ass. That, or stop drinking the Kool Aid long enough to see you're being made a fool.

Since you're a fan of editing quotes, I'll play ball:

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
You?re I'm like a homer for my favorite baseball team. No matter what, you?ll I'll make excuses for the wrongs that the person Booker does.

That was fun!

Posted on: 2013/9/4 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
neverleft wrote: (this is what our new Mayor Fulop in Jersey City has done in 9 weeks since he took office . MAYOR Cory ?Flat Leaver? Booker like our previous Mayor Healy have done NOTHING in 8 years in office.) . Sweeps Operations Putting Pressure on Crime Hot-spots . The Jersey City Police Department was the lead agency in another multi-agency sweep that was conducted this past Friday. We are committed to the continuation of our public safety initiatives in order to keep Jersey City residents safe. Friday?s operation, the sixth such operation in recent weeks, led to the arrest of 22 individuals on a variety of offenses. Other agencies that have participated in these operations are the Hudson County Sherriff?s Office, the Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office, the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and the Investigations Division of the Department of Homeland Security.
And I would like to hear Booker?s reasoning for why such measures are not taking place in Newark. However, regardless of the steps taken, people are still being murdered and shot at. As for ?nothing? in 8 years, do you remember the shooting at the school grounds in the evening where several kids were basically put up on a wall and shot? There was a bunch of crack down and then there was a record of several months without a shooting. Quote:
Monroe wrote: Quote:
neverleft wrote: Quote:
(this is what our new Mayor Fulop in Jersey City has done in 9 weeks since he took office . MAYOR Cory ?Flat Leaver? Booker like our previous Mayor Healy have done NOTHING in 8 years in office.) . Sweeps Operations Putting Pressure on Crime Hot-spots . The Jersey City Police Department was the lead agency in another multi-agency sweep that was conducted this past Friday. We are committed to the continuation of our public safety initiatives in order to keep Jersey City residents safe. Friday?s operation, the sixth such operation in recent weeks, led to the arrest of 22 individuals on a variety of offenses. Other agencies that have participated in these operations are the Hudson County Sherriff?s Office, the Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office, the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and the Investigations Division of the Department of Homeland Security.
Booker is a Kardashian politician-he's famous for being famous. Tweeting does not make someone effective.
How old are you? Given the paucity of substance and repetition of talking points and ideas coming from others, I?d guess about 17. If you knew anything about Newark from 10 years ago, you?d understand why there are people that say it?s better now.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 14:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/4 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
neverleft wrote: Quote:
(this is what our new Mayor Fulop in Jersey City has done in 9 weeks since he took office . MAYOR Cory ?Flat Leaver? Booker like our previous Mayor Healy have done NOTHING in 8 years in office.) . Sweeps Operations Putting Pressure on Crime Hot-spots . The Jersey City Police Department was the lead agency in another multi-agency sweep that was conducted this past Friday. We are committed to the continuation of our public safety initiatives in order to keep Jersey City residents safe. Friday?s operation, the sixth such operation in recent weeks, led to the arrest of 22 individuals on a variety of offenses. Other agencies that have participated in these operations are the Hudson County Sherriff?s Office, the Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office, the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and the Investigations Division of the Department of Homeland Security.
Booker is a Kardashian politician-he's famous for being famous. Tweeting does not make someone effective.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/9/4 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
(still not a word from Booker?)

Newark double shooting marks city's 9th homicide in 9 days

By James Queally/The Star-Ledger

on September 04, 2013 at 12:27 AM, updated September 04, 2013 at 7:43 AM

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... _days.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Comment from the above nj.com thread:

Quote:

DrBid
I recently read that Matt Damon, and Ben Afleck are going to host a Hollywood fundraiser for Cory Booker

I challenge them to hold it on the streets of Newark at night!!!

Let's see those Hollywood creeps like that fat dope Oprah deal with Booker's "accomplishments"!!!

It would be good for Booker to make a public comment. However, making a public comment isn't indicative of him not making a comment to his police chiefs.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 12:54
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Monroe wrote: Pebble is having a problem with the fact that a) nj loves their Republican governor, and b) Booker is an empty suit in the closet it would seem.
If Booker is an empty suit, it would be nice if those making the claim could actually back it up. As for Christie's popularity, a lot of people watch Real Housewives of . That doesn't make it good.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 12:49
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(still not a word from Booker?)

Newark double shooting marks city's 9th homicide in 9 days

By James Queally/The Star-Ledger

on September 04, 2013 at 12:27 AM, updated September 04, 2013 at 7:43 AM

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... _days.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Comment from the above nj.com thread:

Quote:

DrBid
I recently read that Matt Damon, and Ben Afleck are going to host a Hollywood fundraiser for Cory Booker

I challenge them to hold it on the streets of Newark at night!!!

Let's see those Hollywood creeps like that fat dope Oprah deal with Booker's "accomplishments"!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/4 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble is having a problem with the fact that a) nj loves their Republican governor, and b) Booker is an empty suit in the closet it would seem.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The company NJ used for the NJ shore ads is supported by both NJ Democrats and Republicans. No political favors being paid there.

7 murders in Newark in the last 7 days.

Booker needs to spend less time hiding in the closet and more time making Newark a better city. And his giving stock options to a barely teenaged son of the head of CNN was a disgusting attempt to buy good press coverage.

You?re like a homer for their favorite baseball team. No matter what, you?ll make excuses for the wrongs that the person does.

It?s been broken down for you before. Nobody cares that Democrats receive money from the ad agency. What matters is the choice the governor made. He chooses option A, lower cost but the gov isn?t in the commercial, or Option B, spend more money on the ad campaign and get his face shown on TV commercials during a campaign year. He went with option B despite the fact that the state is bankrupt. The next time he complains about teachers or some state workers, just remember, the governor will spend more state money than is necessary as long as the end result is his fat head on television.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Another homicide in Newark, 8 in 7 days. Yup, Booker is being very presidential.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I've been away, so excuse my lack of commentary here. I love the last few posts, pointing out exactly what's going wrong in Newark. And quite frankly, the bad news far outweighs any of these insignificant accomplishments pointed out by Pebble.

What last few posts? Monroe?s homerism or an anonymous comment from a guy that claims to have gone to Newark Bears games when Sharpe James was mayor and felt safer then?

Which comes to?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
8 murders in 7 days, signs of a city making progress. It's tough to make a dent in this when you have an absentee mayor.

Is your argument really going to be that these murders wouldn?t take place if the mayor wasn?t campaigning wherever? Honestly?

How about Jersey City with all of our murders? Did they happen because Fulop just became mayor and people were just relieved that the firm hand Healey wasn?t going to be quashing their gang parade at every turn?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Pebble, you say Booker is "ambitious" and can't see why I find a problem with this. Are you just being silly now or was that a serious comment? To use your example, if a company promoted someone with an abysmal/non-existent track record as quickly as they have with Booker (some would say, like Barry Obama), many people in the company would be pissed and question it.

That depends. I?ve had similar rises inside companies. If you?re good, people don?t question it.

Obama was definitely green. However, he struck a chord at the right time. We had just had 8 years of what some could argue as one of the worst presidents ever. His primary challenger was a return to 8 years before and people tend to get sick of ?the favorites? (how many people really root for Duke to win the NCAA or the Yankees to win the World Series?). Then you have a presidential campaign against an old white man that made blunder after blunder until it culminated in absolutely horrendous VP pick.

Obama, since winning office, hasn?t really hammered out the objectives a lot of people would have wanted. He?s been more of guide than a director.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
You also keep citing all this private money flowing in. It keeps flowing into downtown, which already has big businesses and create jobs for highly qualified people not from Newark. That's not much of a solution here. Maybe some of the spending on education will payoff, maybe...

The state is in charge of the education in Newark. So, if you want to rip anyone there, rip Christie for letting it founder.

However, the private money is necessary. This is money that Newark can?t generate from taxes. The people there don?t have it.

Additionally, how do you think downtown JC was able to get all of those people to move in? They came because it was close to jobs. So, the idea is that good jobs bring people and those people may want to live closer to work if they don?t want to spend on gas. It is the conservative credo: business drives all.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
At the end of the day, his banner ads piss me off to no end, and point out exactly what's wrong with his message.

They read: "Fix the criminal justice system". As we said earlier, he is placing blame for recidivism squarely on the prisons, rather than the parents, relatives, schools, friends, communities, drug dealers and other folks in the mix BEFORE the person goes to prison.

That type of victim mentality is bullshit, and THATs the person we're sending to the Senate? Good luck with that.

I don?t see it the same way. I think you can put fault at one door while also putting fault at another. Everything starts in the home and gravitates from there.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The least we can do is be honest and say he is going to the Senate to be a rubber stamp for Obama. We can try and be honest and admit that the unaccomplished, "well spoken black male" archetype is the PC vote to cast these days (and don't even try the racist card with me. It's wrong to vote for OR against someone just because of their race).

Really? That?s where you are going with this. It?s hard to have a conversation when your go to is a strawman argument that defaults to ?you?re only voting for him because he?s a well-spoken black male.?

Building strawmen is the antithesis of an intellectual argument.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I have yet to read about acknowledge any real, substantive accomplishments from this guy, hence why is called an empty suit.

There, I?ve corrected that for you.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 0:50
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I've been away, so excuse my lack of commentary here. I love the last few posts, pointing out exactly what's going wrong in Newark. And quite frankly, the bad news far outweighs any of these insignificant accomplishments pointed out by Pebble.

8 murders in 7 days, signs of a city making progress. It's tough to make a dent in this when you have an absentee mayor.

Pebble, you say Booker is "ambitious" and can't see why I find a problem with this. Are you just being silly now or was that a serious comment? To use your example, if a company promoted someone with an abysmal/non-existent track record as quickly as they have with Booker (some would say, like Barry Obama), many people in the company would be pissed and question it.

You also keep citing all this private money flowing in. It keeps flowing into downtown, which already has big businesses and create jobs for highly qualified people not from Newark. That's not much of a solution here. Maybe some of the spending on education will payoff, maybe...

At the end of the day, his banner ads piss me off to no end, and point out exactly what's wrong with his message.

They read: "Fix the criminal justice system". As we said earlier, he is placing blame for recidivism squarely on the prisons, rather than the parents, relatives, schools, friends, communities, drug dealers and other folks in the mix BEFORE the person goes to prison.

That type of victim mentality is bullshit, and THATs the person we're sending to the Senate? Good luck with that.

The least we can do is be honest and say he is going to the Senate to be a rubber stamp for Obama. We can try and be honest and admit that the unaccomplished, "well spoken black male" archetype is the PC vote to cast these days (and don't even try the racist card with me. It's wrong to vote for OR against someone just because of their race).

I have yet to read about any real, substantive accomplishments from this guy, hence why is called an empty suit.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 16:47

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017