Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Maxwells in Hoboken Closing end of July
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
What's even funnier is how much attention this is getting. Maxwells hasn't put on a decent show in years.

Every story out there quotes people as saying "I remember this great show I saw, 7 years ago" or "way back in the day" which is the point.

Hoboken continues its evolution towards a completely homogenous and uninteresting town lacking any character whatsoever.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i find it funny that so many people think that "maxwells" is coming to Jersey City, knowing that Todd A states one of his major reasons for giving up Maxwells in Hoboken is PARKING. Does anyone here think parking is better anywhere in downtown?

Uncle Joe's had plenty of parking in the area - it was before luxury condos took over the "PAD"... and it was purchased, shut down, and turned into.... a parking lot for luxury condos!

Posted on: 2013/7/30 3:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Maxwells will have a block party at 4pm on Wednesday to close out their legacy. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... s_legendary_maxwells.html

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/28 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I heard they were going to relocate to Jersey City between Finast and Trader Joe's.

Man, I can't stop laughing! Bravo! That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. I'm still laughing!

Atleast someone still appreciates the trite comments on this board. *yawn*

Posted on: 2013/6/10 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I heard they were going to relocate to Jersey City between Finast and Trader Joe's.

Man, I can't stop laughing! Bravo! That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. I'm still laughing!

Posted on: 2013/6/10 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
John Ambrosio/The Jersey Journal

News that one of one the country?s indie-rock mecca?s will be shutting its doors at the end of July after 35 years has hit Hoboken?s artist community hard.

Last week, the co-owner of Maxwell?s, the iconic Washington Street club that has hosted the likes of Nirvana, Bruce Springsteen, and Smashing Pumpkins, announced the club wasn?t renewing its lease due to the changing music and bar culture in the Mile Square City.

Jim Mastro, the owner of Guitar Bar on First Street in Hoboken and former guitarist for the Bongos, a band that helped launch the world-famous venue, is taking the news personally.
?I lived above Maxwell?s, so it was literally home to me,? said Mastro, who moved to Hoboken in 1979. ?And I think it?s fair to say that Hoboken wouldn?t be what it is today if it weren?t for Max??well?s.?

Mastro was at ground zero for the launch of Hoboken?s new wave scene, which began when the band ?a,? whose members would later join Mastro in the Bongos, started performing for Maxwell?s patrons in the early 1980s. Mastro said that these years were some of the best in Hoboken?s history.

?It?s very easy to wax nostalgically about the good old days, but we should also remember that these are (young people?s) good old days,? said Mastro. ?I was surprised to see how many younger people, who grew up aspiring to play at a place like Maxwell?s, were really upset over its closing.?

Mastro?s shop, Guitar Bar, recently opened a second location in uptown Hoboken, but Mastro said he?s worried about what Maxwell?s departure means for Hoboken-based small businesses like his.

?I?m terrified,? said Mastro, who helped spearhead several ?shop local? initiatives, including one after Hurricane Sandy. ?It?s partly because I?m wondering if this city can still support businesses like mine and partly because I?m worried that the city is concerned more with the interests of future residents and businesses than current ones.

?I?m also worried about what happens when something like Maxwell?s, that is so associated with Hoboken, leaves,? said Mastro. ?If Maxwell?s is unable to, either because of parking or taxes or whatever, keep their business running, then that?s a bad sign for my shop and all the other local stores that give Hoboken its flavor.?

Posted on: 2013/6/10 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/10 7:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

JustJames wrote:
You're deluded if you think Maxwell's will be opening on Newark Ave.
If it opens anywhere in JC, which it almost certainly won't, it'll be down by Exchange Place.

Judging by the owner's tone in the articles I've read, somewhere like Exchange Place and it's highrises is exactly the reason he's looking to get out of Hoboken. Sounds like he misses some of the grit and artistic atmosphere of the "old Hoboken".

Since he's already attached to the Bell House in Brooklyn it seems logical that he'd move his own venue to the other side of the East River but I'd be thrilled to have a place like Maxwells in JC and it seems likely that Newark or the area around Grove would be ideal for such a place if you're looking in JC. The fact that he mentioned Barcade in JC and this quote: "The new hot spots are in Brooklyn and Jersey City, he observed." gives me hope that Maxwells JC is a possibility.

This, exactly. Bell house is on the less gentrified side of Gowanus. It's surrounded by industrial stuff on one side and residential on the other. Exchange place is mostly high rise condos and offices.

There are some rumors floating around the JC reddit that one or more of the Maxwell's folks is involved in the new White Eagle Hall restoration: http://www.jcvillage.org/2013/04/white-eagle-hall/

Posted on: 2013/6/7 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

azuccon1 wrote:
Perfect location is NHA Trang's old space on Newark Ave, has a parking lot for these non path users and the bands to park without being booted. Plus has the space to have restaurant and stage.

Not sure it would work because of Jordans Lounge being right next door. Is that place still open? I haven't been out in that area at night in a while.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustJames wrote:
If it opens anywhere in JC, which it almost certainly won't, it'll be down by Exchange Place.

Judging by the owner's tone in the articles I've read, somewhere like Exchange Place and it's highrises is exactly the reason he's looking to get out of Hoboken. Sounds like he misses some of the grit and artistic atmosphere of the "old Hoboken".

Since he's already attached to the Bell House in Brooklyn it seems logical that he'd move his own venue to the other side of the East River but I'd be thrilled to have a place like Maxwells in JC and it seems likely that Newark or the area around Grove would be ideal for such a place if you're looking in JC. The fact that he mentioned Barcade in JC and this quote: "The new hot spots are in Brooklyn and Jersey City, he observed." gives me hope that Maxwells JC is a possibility.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustJames wrote:

Why? Wouldn't the real estate needed to open a mid sized venue be a hell of a lot more affordable in the Grove St. area? Exchange place is not exactly a cultural hub after happy hour, unless I'm missing something.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/28 10:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Also, as someone from the Heights, we don't need to take 3 buses to get to Grove st. All it takes is the Bergenline/Newport bus, which goes through all of B-line, Palisade, Newark ave, right to Grove st then the mall. So I'm not sure why you assume it would be a problem for the areas north of the city.

I never said anything about people from the Heights taking 3 buses. I was speaking about people who live in other areas of NJ, not JC.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
That location on Newark would still not solve Maxwell's issue about the lack of parking for its patrons. Granted street parking there would probably better than Hoboken. I think one of the vacant large storefronts on Newark (bw Grove and Erie) would be good. You'd be surprised how big some of those stores are also its Close to the path plus nearby parking whether it be municipal lot or grove pointe.
If you wen to the White Eagle Hall open house, they already have a couple hundred parking spots secured and in negotiations. So it won't be a problem come opening day.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't there an empty spot about a block away from the White Eagle? I ahven't passed through that part of Newark ave in some time so I'm not sure if its still empty but couldn't it be used as a small parking lot? Or even as a space for when the live acts need to unload.

Also, as someone from the Heights, we don't need to take 3 buses to get to Grove st. All it takes is the Bergenline/Newport bus, which goes through all of B-line, Palisade, Newark ave, right to Grove st then the mall. So I'm not sure why you assume it would be a problem for the areas north of the city.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 18:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/13 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
Perfect location is NHA Trang's old space on Newark Ave, has a parking lot for these non path users and the bands to park without being booted. Plus has the space to have restaurant and stage.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yeah, I'm confused as to why parking would even be an issue. A venue near the Grove Street Path would have no need for parking.

In the article he said that there is no parking in Hoboken for the bands who need to load in and load out their equipment which becomes a logistical nightmare especially when you have 3 or more bands on the bill. I always thought the location where the Powerhouse Lounge is would have been perfect for a live music venue. Too bad they opted for the corporate happy hour model instead.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yeah, I'm confused as to why parking would even be an issue. A venue near the Grove Street Path would have no need for parking.

Do you realize if you do not live near the Path like lets say the Heights where not everyone is near a lightrail station that can connect to Path you have no other way to get downtown but by car/bike or bus? And if you live in West New York, Edgewater or Secaucus and wanted to see your favorite band you will have to drive no one in there right mind would take three buses to go to the Grove street area. The Path only services a few areas and most people don't live near a station. So Parking is definitely needed.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
That location on Newark would still not solve Maxwell's issue about the lack of parking for its patrons. Granted street parking there would probably better than Hoboken. I think one of the vacant large storefronts on Newark (bw Grove and Erie) would be good. You'd be surprised how big some of those stores are also its Close to the path plus nearby parking whether it be municipal lot or grove pointe.

I feel like if I read between the lines, the owner's main concern is the changing vibe in Hoboken. People from Manhattan and Brooklyn aren't as likely to trek out there to see a show. Hoboken isn't seen as an enclave of interesting cultural events. But I'm having an easier and easier time getting said folks to come to jc between the food events, relaxed bar scene, and just the general feel of our hood.

So move that operation over here!!!

Posted on: 2013/6/7 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/7 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
WNYC The Brian Lehrer Show had a good segment today:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2013/jun/07/goodbye-maxwells/

...and WNYC's Soundcheck had this before...

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/blogs/soun ... jun/04/maxwells-moments/?

and the JC perfect spot to move Maxwell's would be..

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=311046

Posted on: 2013/6/7 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeenthereDonethat wrote:
Are they no longer planning on re-opening downtown near grove? I knew a few months back they were renewing the lease in Hoboken but I also spoke to several people who said they found a space off grove?

To give BeenthereDonethat credit:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/h ... se-july-article-1.1362410

Apparently, he is looking into Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

BeenthereDonethat wrote:
Are they no longer planning on re-opening downtown near grove? I knew a few months back they were renewing the lease in Hoboken but I also spoke to several people who said they found a space off grove?

right next to the new Whole Foods?

Next to the new Fairway

Next to the Trader Joe"

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:39
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

BeenthereDonethat wrote:

Next to the new Fairway

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeenthereDonethat wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/28 17:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/19 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
Sad indeed, the only place I enjoyed in hoboken. Dinner and a concert perfect blend. I suppose they will open another trust fund brat bar.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm telling you -- now or never -- we need to get Abramson to book all the live acts for the Landmark Loews -- and then on other nights have Bollywood movies -- the place will just take off -- NYC people and North & Central Jersey people will flock here via the Journal Square PATH station. It will be rolling in money -- and can become a BAM type thing! Can even get famous theater companies soon after !

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Noooooooooooo! So many fun times there! The Cucumbers! The Nields! The Bongos! Jill Sobule!
Ah the memories...........

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017