Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: West side avenue and Claremont ave JC - SAFE???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
The buildings will eventually get repaired or replaced - a couple of years. It's otherwise a good block except for the huge carve-out of the Board of Ed building and parking lot, but a good number of long-time residents.

Lightrail and newer development west of the station helps indicate the upswing of the neighborhood. In addition, the area has good bus service along West Side Ave and Kennedy Blvd. You've got reasonable neighborhood services (laundry, restaurants) within a few short blocks, and this is likely to improve over time.

Being careful after dark is reasonable anywhere.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Have you looked in the Journal Square area? i.e., short walking distance to the station? Perhaps you can find something in your budget.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/22 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
Please also note that when we say transfer, it's not a free transfer. You would have to buy a light rail ticket (or monthly pass) and then use a PATH card (monthly or per trip) or a pay-per-ride metrocard (you can't use the monthly MTA metrocard on the PATH). Then, depending on where you need to go in NYC, you may be able to walk, or you may have to take a subway (using an MTA pay-per-ride or monthly card). It probably makes sense to look at the bus options to Manhattan. If you give us a sense of where you need to end up, I'm sure someone has identified the most efficient route.

It looks like after 9 pm on weekdays, the light rail only runs twice an hour out to West Side. Is that right? May want to factor that in to your anticipated commute time. Or the additional cost of taking a taxi home from JSQ. As others indicated, 45 minutes from West Side to 33rd is probably when everything aligns perfectly during rush hour.

Wow, I am extremely disappointed in how the leasing manager was willing to tell us anything to sell the place. As for my destination, it would be Times Square mostly around 8 am and coming back around 6 or 7 pm.

I've heard that even the buses take about 30-40 mins from most places. I'm already making the commute to the city from Piscataway which is 45 mins - 1 hour but paying a lot less than I would living in the jc area. It's making me think that I'm better off staying where I am - I love the fact that its a straight shot from penn station to New Brunswick, but the cost is pretty high. Ideally, I would love a situation where I would just take one method of transportation that did not take longer than 30 mins, but I'm thinking that's not possible lol. Maybe newark?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Please also note that when we say transfer, it's not a free transfer. You would have to buy a light rail ticket (or monthly pass) and then use a PATH card (monthly or per trip) or a pay-per-ride metrocard (you can't use the monthly MTA metrocard on the PATH). Then, depending on where you need to go in NYC, you may be able to walk, or you may have to take a subway (using an MTA pay-per-ride or monthly card). It probably makes sense to look at the bus options to Manhattan. If you give us a sense of where you need to end up, I'm sure someone has identified the most efficient route.

It looks like after 9 pm on weekdays, the light rail only runs twice an hour out to West Side. Is that right? May want to factor that in to your anticipated commute time. Or the additional cost of taking a taxi home from JSQ. As others indicated, 45 minutes from West Side to 33rd is probably when everything aligns perfectly during rush hour.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 16:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
So the leasing manager at the apartment building told me that if I took the light rail from the west side avenue station, that it would take me directly to midtown NYC. From your post, it seems that there would be some transfer involved, am I right? One of the main selling points to me was that it was a fairly easy commute to the city.

Wow. Nice Leasing Manager. Pretty bold lying right there. This is something you can easily check. Just go to the Light Rail website and check out the maps. It does not go into NYC. You have to transfer to the PATH or Ferry or a Bus. Maybe there's a bus you can catch nearby that goes into NYC?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 15:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/14 15:37
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Getting from west side ave to 33rd st in 45 min. might qualify as a miracle. While technically possible you're realistically looking at an hour easy and probably much longer on weekends. You are by no means right next to midtown.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Absolutely not. I grew up on the Westside; I'll stay downtown these days... thank you very much!

And all of Westside sighs in relief.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 14:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Absolutely not. I grew up on the Westside; I'll stay downtown these days... thank you very much!

Posted on: 2013/5/22 13:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/24 13:03
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the area for almost 8 years and I can say that I feel pretty safe during the daytime and evening, but at night, just use good ole fashioned common sense for safety purposes. I do not take the light rail late at night whatsoever.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

There are lots of new buildings/condos going up all over Bayonne.....not just at the former military base. For instance, the 45th, 22th, and 8th street light rail stations all have new buildings going up or completed.

Ask your realtor about these and other developments.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 10:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bowfora wrote:
User1111,

Thanks for the suggestion about other areas to check out. Would the area you describe also include Bayonne? I've seen a bunch of wonderful places in Bayonne but did not know much about the area so I didn't look into it.

So the leasing manager at the apartment building told me that if I took the light rail from the west side avenue station, that it would take me directly to midtown NYC. From your post, it seems that there would be some transfer involved, am I right? One of the main selling points to me was that it was a fairly easy commute to the city.

The light rail does not go directly to the city u have to transfer to the path or the ferry. From Westside to midtown is about a 45 min to a hour each way. As far as Bayonne, sure have a look. its a lot less expensive than jc and cleaner. They have an express light rail service during rush hour. Just keep in mind the further u go into Bayonne the longer the commute.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
crime statistics and more importantly, common sense proves you wrong.

No, this is relevant. I live in an area that, statistically, has a higher rate of crime than, say, UES. But because of my age, preferences and profession, I'm usually home by 9-10 pm. I also don't buy/sell drugs, etc. This means I've reduced my exposure to risk in my neighborhood; that's what often passes for common sense. Risk, and the statistics that measure it, are not necessarily distributed equally.

No one is saying that GV and BL = wherever you live, Vindication. But one can also live quite nicely and save a ton of money in GV, BL, etc., if that's what one chooses or needs to do. Or, as many have pointed out earlier, if that's what one prefers.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 5:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
User1111,

Thanks for the suggestion about other areas to check out. Would the area you describe also include Bayonne? I've seen a bunch of wonderful places in Bayonne but did not know much about the area so I didn't look into it.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bowfora wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Bowfora, don't forget that parking is now free at the Light Rail parking lots during the weekend.

Wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks for telling me!

I would avoid the lightrail on the weekends, it pretty much sux. Drive or walk.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 4:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Bowfora, don't forget that parking is now free at the Light Rail parking lots during the weekend.

Wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks for telling me!

Posted on: 2013/5/22 4:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
user, mentioning that crime happens in GV and BL followed by a "well muggings also happen in downtown jc" gives the impression that GV and BL are as dangerous as downtown jc.

crime statistics and more importantly, common sense proves you wrong. Why mention downtown jc when the OP doesn't even mention it....

It makes zero sense. It's like if someone asks, "hey is camden safe?" and I say, "no there's crime in camden but last week, there was a mugging in the upper east side of NYC"...wtf?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bowfora wrote:
Yes, that is the building! And if you saw the actual apartments and heard the price, you would understand why I am super excited to find something like this. With a budget of only about $1000/month, it's been hard to find something fairly new and updated and in a good area (which I'm not too informed about either since I'm not from around here) Do you guys have any suggestions for any other areas I should look into? Basically, affordable, close to city and fairly new or updated.

Anyways, Thank you everyone so far for your input, I will definitely try checking out the area different times of the day and see how I feel. The one good thing is the attached garage so essentially I wouldn't have to leave the building to get to where I'm going unless I'm taking the light rail, which shouldn't be too risky seeing as how it's across the street. If I have light rail across from me, what would be the reason for me to take the journal square path? I'm assuming they have different destinations but what are the differences?

Check out every lightrail station after Jersey ave going towards West Side/8th Street Bayonne.
You can find something for that price with parking.

I take the lightrail whenever I need to run into NYC and I connect to path at Exchange place. One of the many things that stinks about the lightrail it does not go to Journal Square which would have been nice. When I crave Indian food or want to visit Lowes I drive, since I am not a fan of buses.

I don't know why anyone would walk to Jsq from West side/Claremont that's way too far.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/22 3:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that is the building! And if you saw the actual apartments and heard the price, you would understand why I am super excited to find something like this. With a budget of only about $1000/month, it's been hard to find something fairly new and updated and in a good area (which I'm not too informed about either since I'm not from around here) Do you guys have any suggestions for any other areas I should look into? Basically, affordable, close to city and fairly new or updated.

Anyways, Thank you everyone so far for your input, I will definitely try checking out the area different times of the day and see how I feel. The one good thing is the attached garage so essentially I wouldn't have to leave the building to get to where I'm going unless I'm taking the light rail, which shouldn't be too risky seeing as how it's across the street. If I have light rail across from me, what would be the reason for me to take the journal square path? I'm assuming they have different destinations but what are the differences?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.shustermanagement.com/prop ... ortfolio_366_westside.php

I guess you are talking about the above new construction on the corner. Real nice. There is also new construction down Culver. That area is called the West Side development project area. Hopefully in the future it will all get done along with the Bayfront area development down on Rt 440.

The burned out buildings on the same street are from a terrible fire last year.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_fire_reaches_5th_a.html

That area is not horrible like user11 said it is busy during the day . You have the Jersey City Board of Education across the street on the corner. NJCU down the block. The new Social Security Building. Further down West side towards Country Village is the a bunch of apartments called College Towers they have a lot of old-timers in them. Best Chinese in JC is at Henry?s Wok (and bar) . The West Side Station condo development is down toward Mallory. Going up West Side there are a ton of little shops and stores that have been around for a long time. There is Gary's Sweet Shop it?s a tiny place that hasn?t changed in 50+ years. Sweet counter service for a morning cup o joe. Bakeries, Haircutters, Filipino stores, day care, Laundromat. Miss America diner.

Go look around during the day and night to get a feel for the area. See if you feel safe. It is kind of desolate at night. Take a ride on the light rail day and night also.

JC History: across the street from Henry?s Wok (and bar) was back in the day (70?s , 80?s) a place called the Showboat Lounge. Everyone from JC went there for the live music , etc. It was one of the ?cool? JC places to go at the time. No need to go to NYC all the time we had our own places. Soap Creek Saloon, Showboat, Narrowbacks, O?Hara?s (by SPU).

Posted on: 2013/5/21 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't find it unsafe, However I am a dude and nothing really frightens me much about JC.

That area is pretty busy over there with all the shops during the day. I know people who got mugged over there a few years back, however my ex roommate was mugged downtown a few times as well a few years back.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
No, especially if you're female and/or plan on walking from the JSQ PATH. It's not the worst part of Jersey City, but it's a 10-15 minute walk from the worst part of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 20:10

West side avenue and Claremont ave JC - SAFE???

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know about safety in this area? I saw a great and cheap apartment in a beautiful building but the building was surrounded by burnt down and vacant houses, which made me wonder about the area. The apartment building is right across the street from the west side ave light rail stop. If anyone's got any input, I would definitely appreciate it! Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/5/21 20:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017