Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Racist text messages sent to St. Peter's Prep student running in school election: cops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The school had the option to say 'No Comment' like the Police and Father did.

Instead the school didn't, which the news report stated:

The black St. Peter?s Prep student who purportedly received racist text messages warning him to drop out of the Jersey City high school's student government election sent the texts to himself, a school official confirmed last week.

I still believe the school could have handled it much much better instead of the media circus it will create.

A no comment statement would have null / voided or reduced any further news reports.

Once again its a sad situation, but it's a kid that probably doesn't have a criminal history that made a VERY poor judgement call.

I'm not even sure if a crime has been committed here and Police haven't charged the kid for anything, yet the actions by the school to confirm the information still remains in my eyes, as unprofessional and compounded the problems for this kid.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 0:20

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2013/8/27 0:45:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Racist text messages sent to St. Peter's Prep student running in school election: cops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Sad to hear, however the school is clearly the biggest ass here - The Police made no comment due to the age of the child (minor / juvenile), the Father and Son made no comment, yet the school wanted to expose the kid.

It should have been resolved behind closed doors - Now the kid will have a difficult few years ahead of him before he gets to university and this will follow / haunt him for life.

The school gets a 0/10 and has shown to be the immature one here, when they could have helped this kid review and learn from his stupid actions.

Police 10/10 and Parent 10/10

The school didn't mention his name, neither did the Jersey Journal or NJ.com. Not their fault that WCBS chose to mention his name when this was first reported. There was a police investigation here and obviously the media had access to some of the information and chose to report it. I think the kid will learn from this experience no matter what and it will all die down in a few days anyway. He was an ass for staging this whole thing, thinking he would get the sympathy vote in the election. Well, I guess he's no worse than most Hudson County politicians.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Sad to hear, however the school is clearly the biggest ass here - The Police made no comment due to the age of the child (minor / juvenile), the Father and Son made no comment, yet the school wanted to expose the kid.

It should have been resolved behind closed doors - Now the kid will have a difficult few years ahead of him before he gets to university and this will follow / haunt him for life.

The school gets a 0/10 and has shown to be the immature one here, when they could have helped this kid review and learn from his stupid actions.

The school was fine in their response to the media asking about the results of the investigation... the entire school/alumni were victimized by this kid's ignorance... I am fairly certain that the JJ was the one that put all the background information into the story and built that around Admin quotes. The kid will be fine, he was not charged with anything and transferring as a junior is no big deal.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:32
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well I am glad they didn't let that kid off the hook calling it a "learning experience" for the school... I am sure he was asked not to return for the fall session and not officially expelled (though he deserved to be). I wonder how long it takes before the NYC news media announces the results of the investigation? WABC TV was doing remotes from Warren Street.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City high school candidate for student gov't sent racist texts to himself, school official says

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sent_th.html#incart_river

PS ? looks like Vigilante was spot on?.

Quote:
Vigilante wrote: So maybe the kid "victim" actually sent the texts to himself in order to get attention and the sympathy vote?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
This is all pretty appalling. Who knew a student council race could be so contentious?

Where I went to high school, nobody really cared much about being on the student council and they were just regarded as another group whose job it was to organize dances. For most positions in the student council, people either ran unopposed, or the two people that ran for the same position didn't campaign very hard and the more popular person always won, and nobody really cared much about who won either.

But we didn't have cell phones or the internet back then either.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Interesting interview... especially the way he described himself... telling the viewers in a 3rd person voice that "you" could see how shocked he was to receive the messages by the look in his face and the words that he used... I hope the perpetrator also has to pay for the police expenses related to this investigation...

Posted on: 2013/6/3 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/3 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The school should engage with an expert to speak to the entire school body on the vilification of racism

Posted on: 2013/6/1 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
So maybe the kid "victim" actually sent the texts to himself in order to get attention and the sympathy vote?

Posted on: 2013/5/31 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Court Order???? Let's see what this court order discovers.... if the initial JJ report is accurate (see previous posts) that the victim did not want an investigation, some one is going to be in a lot of trouble. Once identified, the person(s) responsible should be expelled or fired. Good thing school year is ending too, the pressure will be on to identify quickly to put this to bed. You don't want this lingering through summer

Posted on: 2013/5/31 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Police: Racist Text Messages Sent To N.J. Student Running For Council President

Michah Onditi Didn't Drop Out Of The Race, But He Didn't Win

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/3 ... ng-for-council-president/

Posted on: 2013/5/31 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Police are continuing to investigate a bias incident in which a black student at St. Peter's Prep High School in Jersey City was sent racist text messages "warning" him to drop out of a student government election, officials said today.

"We have NEVER and will NEVER have an (n-word) to lead our school," read one of four messages sent on May 16 to the 16-year-old Jersey City resident. The message went on to use a racial slur to refer to President Obama and called the president by his middle name, "Hussein."

"We will never make that mistake again. Drop out right now ...," the text message continued, according to a police report.

The 16-year-old was running for student council president.

The school election was held yesterday but the results have not been announced, said St. Peter's Prep spokesman Jim Horan, adding that the 16-year-old did not drop out of the race. Horan also said the school conducted its own investigation and turned over the results to Jersey City police detectives.

At the time of the messages were sent, Horan called them "some of the most vile and abhorrent messages I have ever heard of." He said they were contrary to "everything Prep stands for."

Police were called to the school on May 16 and met with the victim, his father and Dean of Students John Morris, who had printed out the four messages. At that time, police had been unable to determine who sent the messages. When they called the number the texts were sent from, the line connected to a computer app called TEXTME.

Jersey City police officials only said this afternoon that the investigation was ongoing.
JJ

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I heard this on 1010WINS and saw it on Fox5 this morning.

Probe into racist texts sent student at Jersey City high school is ongoing, police say

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _sent_s.html#incart_river

Never saw the story on WABC a couple weeks ago... am surprised that JJ columnist is still pushing this story, because I think they have figured out who did it and are sweeping the story under the rug... curious to know if the kid won the election?

Probably now that the controversy has created a conflict of interest. The incident has negated the protocol of the election process.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Probe into racist texts sent student at Jersey City high school is ongoing, police say

Never saw the story on WABC a couple weeks ago... am surprised that JJ columnist is still pushing this story, because I think they have figured out who did it and are sweeping the story under the rug... curious to know if the kid won the election?

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Does Healy have a family member at that school running for student council

What does this have to do with this thread ?? Do you know something that is not part of the investigation ? I think this post should be deleted !

Posted on: 2013/5/31 11:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/31 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well this can't be good. A WABC news van is in front of St. Peter's Prep.... can't imagine why they would be there?

Posted on: 2013/5/20 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Does Healy have a family member at that school running for student council

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I don't know, this whole story sounds funny to me... I see those kids all the time at lunch, walking between classes and going to sports practices. I do not get a sense that there is any race/ethnic/religious problems in the school, especially when they are saying Mass outside in the courtyard and you see the excused non-Catholic kids around the corner having breakfast at the Bodega... my cynical side says this may have been a manufactured incident and I will leave at that. I do think whoever did it should be identified, and if a student, expelled for obvious reasons. No matter the motivation, it was a dangerous thing to do at so many levels.

Actually, the poster of this story didn't post the most interesting part of the story....

"These are some of the most vile and abhorrent messages I have ever heard of. It is so over the line,? Horan said. ?The incident is contrary to not only everything that Prep stands for, especially with regard to embracing diversity and teaching tolerance, but also something that is not at all reflective of the day-to-day attitude of our students.?

On Wednesday, all the candidates gave campaign speeches. The victim told police he had no idea who sent the texts and he did not want the investigation to go any further.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know, this whole story sounds funny to me... I see those kids all the time at lunch, walking between classes and going to sports practices. I do not get a sense that there is any race/ethnic/religious problems in the school, especially when they are saying Mass outside in the courtyard and you see the excused non-Catholic kids around the corner having breakfast at the Bodega... my cynical side says this may have been a manufactured incident and I will leave at that. I do think whoever did it should be identified, and if a student, expelled for obvious reasons. No matter the motivation, it was a dangerous thing to do at so many levels.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
So much outrage over a childish, cowardly act? Is it because the offenders are probably white and are supposedly destined for bright futures? Meanwhile kids are beating the crap out of other kids in our other city schools. I see very little outrage over events at Dickinson, like it's expected and therefore acceptable. As we saw in our most recent election, sometimes the so-called best and brightest are neither.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that is true -- I thought we were talking only about bullying and racial slurs.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I am not on the inside so I cannot comment about school "culture," but it certainly appears that the school administration has taken all the right steps. They are not tolerating bad behavior.

As for the McNair culture of "academic grind", yeah, well.....when the kids who 'rule the school' are at the Intel fair and taking 5 AP courses, they don't have too much free time for bullying.

No, but if you've been following the stories about the cheating and stimulant abuse at Stuyvesant, you'll know it can have it's own extremely dark side.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is it really relevant which group will be in the majority? This is vile behavior...period.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Look at "white persons, not Hispanic" number.

Quote:
Actually, these kids should know that New Jersey is about 75% white. I doubt these white kids will be a minority anytime soon.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not on the inside so I cannot comment about school "culture," but it certainly appears that the school administration has taken all the right steps. They are not tolerating bad behavior.

As for the McNair culture of "academic grind", yeah, well.....when the kids who 'rule the school' are at the Intel fair and taking 5 AP courses, they don't have too much free time for bullying.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
These kids should know that NJ would soon have whites in the minority. So they should get used to seeing leaders who don't look like them.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34000.html

Actually, these kids should know that New Jersey is about 75% white. I doubt these white kids will be a minority anytime soon.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
User, what are the odds that students' parents have students' cell numbers? Teachers doing this? Really? Nah, not at Prep. My children chose McNair over Prep for a number of reasons but this? No.

Brewster, I was wondering what decision your family made. Now I know.

Yeah, he went to Prep for "freshman for a day" and walked home past McNair. He just got a gut feeling from looking at the kids he knew at both of where he belonged. We agreed.

I guess I shouldn't be overly harsh on Prep, but one of the appeals of their package was the moral and philosophical emphasis of the Jesuit tradition, as opposed to a culture of academic grind at McNair. Then you hear of this, and of nonsense like jocks bullying, and you wonder how much is lip service like so much of all organized religion, including my own.

My wife the pragmatist says get 1000 kids together and this kind of stuff is inevitable. I disagree, and feel that intolerance of intolerance CAN be instilled. One of the many amazing things I've observed at LCCS is that no one gets teased about their names, no matter how ethnic, weirdly spelled or foreign. This was not my grade school experience. Times can and do change.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 21:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017