Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PolitickerNJ: Steve Fulop can’t escape gubernatorial politics
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Obama was able to run for Senate as a Democrat because at the time he entered the race, the Republican candidate was seen as a shoe in, and other Democrats wanted to preserve their war chests and efforts for other offices. Campaigns expend a lot of political capital and losing a race can end a career and influence.

But as the election unfolded, Jack Ryan, candidate for Senate, had his divorce papers unsealed. His wife, actress Jeri Ryan of Star Trek fame, revealed that Jack brought her to sex clubs in New York City. Combined with Obama's charisma and well run campaign, the sex scandal ended the campaign of Jack Ryan, the one time presumed winner.

So in a way, Obama owes his presidency to Star Trek.

This isn't quite accurate. Obama won his primary in March of 2004. He was a surprise upset winner who managed to pull a majority of the vote in a crowded field which included candidates with more name recognition.

Jack Ryan won the Republican primary with about a third of the vote. Obama had a slight lead in most early polls over Ryan. Then when Ryan's divorce records were unsealed, he dropped out, and the Republicans had trouble finding an opponent to replace him, because Obama catapulted to fame with his 2004 convention speech.

The bounces all went the right way for Obama in that campaign. But he had a good shot of winning that seat even if Ryan had not had his divorce records unsealed.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor-elect says his eyes aren't on Trenton

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
May 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Jersey City Mayor-elect Steve Fulop doesn?t think much of inquiries regarding his intentions for higher office.

The May 14 mayoral race wasn?t even certified before members of the media began peppering Fulop with questions about running for governor. Those questions are evidence ?the bench is very weak? for state Democrats, Fulop told The Jersey Journal.

?It?s less a testament of me than it is to the weakness of the Democratic Party in New Jersey,? he said.

Fulop said he is committed to at least one term as the city?s mayor and, if voters will have him, a second term.

Last Tuesday, Fulop won a resounding victory against incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who had been seeking a third full term. Fulop won 53 percent to Healy's 38 percent.

Fulop becomes mayor on July 1

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_mayor-elect_says_h.html

Posted on: 2013/5/21 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

That's awesome! Resistance is futile, indeed.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Obama was able to run for Senate as a Democrat because at the time he entered the race, the Republican candidate was seen as a shoe in, and other Democrats wanted to preserve their war chests and efforts for other offices. Campaigns expend a lot of political capital and losing a race can end a career and influence.

But as the election unfolded, Jack Ryan, candidate for Senate, had his divorce papers unsealed. His wife, actress Jeri Ryan of Star Trek fame, revealed that Jack brought her to sex clubs in New York City. Combined with Obama's charisma and well run campaign, the sex scandal ended the campaign of Jack Ryan, the one time presumed winner.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

LawyerElmo wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I was pulling for Steve to be elected mayor and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for this great city. However, before he starts running for a higher office, he absolutely needs to accomplish something here aside from winning elections.

Yeah, who does he think he is, Obama?

Slight difference between being a mayor of a mid-size city and holding a state-wide national office.

We're talking about Illinois here.

Obama's rise was ridiculously quick. The only difference I'd argue here is that Obama was the better option in each election he was in. This isn't to say that Steve isn't a better option than Booker or Buono could possibly be. I'll just state that I've seen Booker improve Newark while we've yet to see Mayor Fulop make moves to improve JC.

My personal hope is that he is everything that his voters believe him to be. I want to see him fulfill that promise and be the mayor this great town deserves. He's young and has plenty of time to move onto a bigger platform.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 15:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I find the Gubernatorial speculation to be obscene. He has not even taken office and politickernj is handicapping matchups.

It's like a kid in the womb the parents are already filling out applications for high school and colleges.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 15:10
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
This is my favorite part of that NJPoliticker article. We have to keep the focus here for now! We have a city to turn around, and first we have important city council races to decide June 11.

Quote:

?Steve just won a tough election and is focusing on Jersey City,? said Fulop spokesman Bruno Tedeschi, when asked about Fulop?s gubernatorial ambitions.

But surely he?s considering an endorsement of either Buono or Christie?

?Focused on Jersey City,? said Tedeschi.

?Will he go to Atlantic City for the Democrats? annual convention??

?Focused on JC,? said the implacable Tedeschi.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

LawyerElmo wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I was pulling for Steve to be elected mayor and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for this great city. However, before he starts running for a higher office, he absolutely needs to accomplish something here aside from winning elections.

Slight difference between being a mayor of a mid-size city and holding a state-wide national office.

We're talking about Illinois here.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 6:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/21 2:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/17 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I find the Gubernatorial speculation to be obscene. He has not even taken office and politickernj is handicapping matchups.

By virtue of his position, he becomes a very powerful figure in the state democratic primary. However, if he were to try and move on up so quickly, it most certainly would not be the grass roots effort that inspired everyone here. It would be deals with power brokers that have made NJ politics such a sordid affair.

I'm confident Fulop will make every effort to fix a lot of what's wrong in Jersey City. If he'll give us 8 years, what he does just might stick. But it's obvious he's a prime Governer material so grassroots or not, we better do what we can to help him out. Who knows, maybe he'll want to stay longer.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This is from the Star Ledger endorsement of Fulop:
"The same goes for Newark mayor Cory Booker, whose endorsement of Healy is no doubt based on his own self-serving political calculus."

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Feel good about that all you want, but even if half the voters in JC feel as you do, that's only 1.4% of all NJ voters. I doubt he put much more thought into it than Obama did, and supported Healy on the strength of one issue he was prominent on outside the city, gun control. It seems a stretch he did it counting on future HCDO support, but if he did, given the numbers it may have been the right call.

Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
When Booker endorsed Healy, he put his own interests over the residents of JC. People of JC should remember this in any future election involving Booker.

Indeed- already wrote to Cory (as did another) that he can kiss my vote goodbye. After supporting Healy- who was nothing but bad news for JC- NO WAY would I vote for him! (or would I encourage others to do such- actually just the opposite- I plan to remind them, when the time comes, of his support of Healy)

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
When Booker endorsed Healy, he put his own interests over the residents of JC. People of JC should remember this in any future election involving Booker.

Indeed- already wrote to Cory (as did another) that he can kiss my vote goodbye. After supporting Healy- who was nothing but bad news for JC- NO WAY would I vote for him! (or would I encourage others to do such- actually just the opposite- I plan to remind them, when the time comes, of his support of Healy)

Posted on: 2013/5/17 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/5/16 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

By virtue of his position, he becomes a very powerful figure in the state democratic primary. However, if he were to try and move on up so quickly, it most certainly would not be the grass roots effort that inspired everyone here. It would be deals with power brokers that have made NJ politics such a sordid affair.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

If he gets development going outside of downtown, reduces crime and beautifies the city in such a way that it's a legitimate destination, by all means, run for governor.

I like that Fulop has higher aspirations. He is a smart guy and must know that the path to get there is by making JC better. So, let's just stick with that, please.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 21:03
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Fulop vs Booker

Frank Pallone?s jabs notwithstanding, most insiders believe Booker will succeed U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ).

Now, with Fulop potentially usurping Booker?s role as the next party star, Booker may have to run for president from the Senate rather than contend with Fulop for governor.

Steve Fulop can?t escape gubernatorial politics

Boo hoo, we've got too many smart ambitious young democrats in NJ! This is where the old smoke filled room worked, figure out who gets what when, and not tear each other down. They also would have told Lautenberg it was time to bow out.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 20:06

PolitickerNJ: Steve Fulop can’t escape gubernatorial politics
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Fulop vs Booker

Frank Pallone?s jabs notwithstanding, most insiders believe Booker will succeed U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ).

Now, with Fulop potentially usurping Booker?s role as the next party star, Booker may have to run for president from the Senate rather than contend with Fulop for governor.

Steve Fulop can?t escape gubernatorial politics

Posted on: 2013/5/16 19:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017