Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Exclusive Interview with Steven Fulop and Candice Osborne
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to the Business Adminstrator awhile back. He said the properties are now computerized and the city plans to do a reassessment every two years after this reval. That does make sense; however, abatements are not ratables and that affects everyone taxes regardless of a reval.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
She did mention first about codifying the abatement process.

Wouldn't this have a bigger impact on tax revenues than doing a reval ?

Posted on: 2013/5/17 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I just don't get it, a reval has to be done at some point, why try (or pretend try) to kick it down the road and make the cost increase even more. If you think people will be shocked at paying their fair share now, wait until property values increase 10-20% over the next ten years, then they will be even more pissed. Just do it and blame it on Healy for the ignorant people who think their taxes are going up instead of just being held accountable for the amount they owe.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Candace,

Did you borrow the flag pin from Sara Palin?!?
Yikes.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I think a lot of people turned out Downtown to vote for Fulop & Osborne because they want to see the reval stopped.

That's just foolish, when Steve came up to GV to speak with us he said it mostly likely would not be able to be stopped and no matter who wins taxes would be raised.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I don't get what they're about on this subject, it was not on their platform page that I could find. Fix whatever problems there may be with how it's being done, sure. But you can't just say: "lets do away with the whole reval process" because some people think they'll finally have to pay their fair share.

Like I've said elsewhere, the main problem with the reval is it's supposed to be done every decade not every quarter century. Like all deferred maintenance, it only gets uglier with time. Why properties aren't reassessed at sale is another mystery, presumably it was an ancient political deal.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of people turned out Downtown to vote for Fulop & Osborne because they want to see the reval stopped.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
I hope that in the coming discussions the reval is always referred to as the "Healy Reval." Otherwise people will blame Fulop because it happens under his watch.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A little info, the state of NJ forced JC to do the revaluation in the mid 1980s. Then Mayor McCann signed the contracts but it was finished under Cucci. It is now up the county to stop the reval and why would they? The county would receive more money. Plus Hoboken has already started the process. Also Newark was sued by another Essex county municipality because Newark had low assessments was forcing other towns to pay more money to Essex County. If by a miracle the reval was to stop, then the state would only forced JC. Then it would be known as Fulop's reval and he would get the blame. He probably will give abatements in other parts of the city, which will effect the ratable base. But if the reval is done now it would still be Healy's reval. It doesn't benefit Fulop to stop it although it would be a temporary stop gap for downtown homeowners.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say that while I'm a huge Fulop supporter, I am not happy that Osbourne's answer on what she's going to do first for Ward E is try to stop the reveal. Not only would that end up being a huge waste of money given that the process is well on it's way, it's also completely unfair to the people who are paying the taxes on the fair value of the property they own. Especially surprising that she would say that given that the percentage of people paying full tilt who would benefit from a reval are likely much higher % in her ward than those of the rest of the city.
I just thought they were full of it and trying to get votes during the election. I really hope that they don't find a way to do this. As I understand it it will be nearly impossible to stop now that it's in the hands of the County.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 11:40

Exclusive Interview with Steven Fulop and Candice Osborne
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/17 7:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/15 4:16

[Advanced Search]

Login