Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey Journal endorses Steven Fulop for mayor of Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

byebyesteve wrote:

Who is Fulops team? When you are attempting to take over a major city, which Jersey City clearly is in terms of NJ. Who are the people that he has picked to run the city's departments. Doesn't the public have the right to know?

Hats off to you, byebyesteve. Of all the Healy trolls who have staggered/wobbled their way onto JCList, you are the first to be upfront about your agenda. Clearly, by asking who will run the city's departments, you are concerned about your job. (Plus you used "we" when talking up Healy's "accomplishments" in another thread.)

I'm sure if you are a hard-working person who is qualified for his job and not just some slob who was given his job because he served drinks to the mayor at his favorite bar then you will have nothing to worry about.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

byebyesteve wrote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone who has been here since past administrations cannot see that the city is way better off than it was. I do understand that newcomers cannot see that, and I get it. However, I just want to ask one question that no one can answer for me

Who is Fulops team? When you are attempting to take over a major city, which Jersey City clearly is in terms of NJ. Who are the people that he has picked to run the city's departments. Doesn't the public have the right to know?

Or is he allowed to hide it and slide his patronage in after he gets elected?

Do you really think we believe you?

Posted on: 2013/5/12 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
Quote:

WeBelongHere wrote:
Another hit job by a partisan paper. The JJ has been so far into Fulop's pocket for years. They love their wittle Stevie. That's why they dredge up old stiuff about Mayor Healy that nobody cares about. Jersey City loves Jerry Healy and knows he's done a great job. That's why he'll get four more years and all of you wil go home crying, woindering what happened.
i agree, you are absolutely right. jersey city loves jerry healy, and really loves him to leave the city.

remember, if you vote for healy, you vote on wednesday, may 15th.

LMAO, o73o2!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

byebyesteve wrote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone who has been here since past administrations cannot see that the city is way better off than it was. I do understand that newcomers cannot see that, and I get it. However, I just want to ask one question that no one can answer for me

I find your observations pretty remarkable... considering many of the Healy Administration's people or department's have been under investigation, some convicted of crimes against the citizens of this city. You maybe correct, perhaps there is a Fulop bias on some of these threads, but JC List does not prevent you from creating your own ProHealy Thread, if you can find something good to say and stop bashing Fulop on this thread. You just joined this forum last night and your message reads like the original list of smears, lies and desperation from the Healy campaign playbook. According to you, the typical Healy voter may not use the internet / JC List (hard to believe) for information, but hopefully they read the Star Ledger and Jersey Journal, both supporting Fulop and his progressive platform for the city. Let's move forward Tuesday with Fulop!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Proud to be a newbie/interloper -- living here only since 1987, so i guess my support for Fulop and total distate for our current administration should be discounted as I have been here for only 24 years.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Byebyesteve wrote: I find it hard to believe that anyone who has been here since past administrations cannot see that the city is way better off than it was.

I lived here during many administrations. I would say most of them did do a lot for JC. You would see articles in the JJ at least once a week about how a mayor was (legally) doing this or that. With Healy in the last 9 years JC has been on stand still. Never any thing in the JJ no accomplishments, oh except for the Bid Rig coverage. If there were any news items they were about ?coming projects? announced maybe within 4 months of an election. Those projects never materialized a good example Journal Square.

Healy began his term as mayor in Nov 2004 winning a special election to fill the seat of Cunningham who passed away. So Healy was mayor for 6 short months before the May 2005 election. In the below interview he was mayor for 3 short months.

Hudson Reporter Jan 16, 2005..

?.
On the issue of what his plans are for the city if he is re-elected to a longer four-year term, he said that there was no ambitious vision as far as what he wants to accomplish.
?..

"The people want to see you do the same work that you had been doing as mayor all along," he said. "I didn't get elected because I came up with grand plans, but instead on a platform of what needs to be done immediately."

??

PS ? Hopefully Fulop will get sworn in on July 1 , 2013 . I would say 2 months is plenty to get his administration in shape. I don?t get your question about needing to know who his department heads will be.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 12:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/27 11:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/12 9:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote:

EWT wrote:
As a newcomer/interloper, I thought you'd appreciate some thoughts of an outside observer on Healy v. Fulop. [...]

byebyesteve wrote:
Far from an outside observer, look at his past articles. He is another interloper

EWT declared himself as a newcomer/interloper in his first sentence, so I am not sure what the point you are trying to make is.

But anyways : so am I - a newcomer/interloper. And so were Jerramiah Healy's parents. That does not mean that any of us care less for JC than than those that feel more entitled.

I just think it would be such a shame to see JC not living up to its potential under another wasted (no pun intended) Healy term.

It's time for a change at the helm.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 9:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/27 11:46
Group:
Registered Users
Far from an outside observer, look at his past articles. He is another interloper

Quote:

EWT wrote:
As a newcomer/interloper, I thought you'd appreciate some thoughts of an outside observer on Healy v. Fulop. I think it's important not to forget Hurricane Sandy.....

http://www.examiner.com/article/jerse ... time-for-change-city-hall

Posted on: 2013/5/12 6:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EWT wrote:
As a newcomer/interloper, I thought you'd appreciate some thoughts of an outside observer on Healy v. Fulop. I think it's important not to forget Hurricane Sandy.....

Fantastic!

Posted on: 2013/5/10 22:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/13 17:20
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WeBelongHere wrote:
Another hit job by a partisan paper. The JJ has been so far into Fulop's pocket for years. They love their wittle Stevie. That's why they dredge up old stiuff about Mayor Healy that nobody cares about. Jersey City loves Jerry Healy and knows he's done a great job. That's why he'll get four more years and all of you wil go home crying, woindering what happened.
i agree, you are absolutely right. jersey city loves jerry healy, and really loves him to leave the city.

remember, if you vote for healy, you vote on wednesday, may 15th.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
I ran across this great quote by Eric Lau,

"Genius is knowing to stay silent as others demonstrate their ignorance"

This really sums up Jerry and what the The Jersey Journal and The Star Ledger is all about.

You can't shoot the messenger folks!

Look, we all know Jerry Healy doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, who to break bread with in diners and who to get in drunken brawls with. The man has had more than enough years of making us look like the laughing stock of the East Coast.

Jersey City needs a new Mayor and it doesn't take a genius to realize that.

Fulop and Healy are in a damn close race but Steven needs all of us to take it to the next level if we want to see the last of our corrupt mayor.

Click the link below to volunteer or donate......

Vote Fulop!

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Who's the interloper? Healy was born and raised in North Bergen.

The Lenape Indians are the only ones who are not interlopers.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Most of the interlopers work in the city and they are more likely to be not on this forum. IMO More campaigning should be done outside the PATH stations during peak hours in morning and evening.

We have been doing this and will continue to do so! :)

Posted on: 2013/5/9 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Most of the interlopers work in the city and they are more likely to be not on this forum. IMO More campaigning should be done outside the PATH stations during peak hours in morning and evening.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

WeBelongHere wrote:
Jersey City loves Jerry Healy and knows he's done a great job.

Details, please.

Still waiting.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WeBelongHere wrote:

They love their wittle Stevie.

You reveal yourself to be a vile human being and I imagine any undecided voters who read your posts will be more likely to vote for Fulop. So thanks. Please keep posting.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You gotta love the tenacity of the 3 or 4 Healy supporters on JC List. I know "interlopers" make up a great deal of it's posters but only a handful of Healy die hards is quite telling. Despite their disregard for facts they do provide some good fodder for the educated and informed voters among us. But I digress.....

The Star Ledger, NJ largest read newspaper, really hit it on the head when their Editorial Board said, "The Healy era should have ended in 2009 with his resignation. Time for voters to drive a stake through it on Tuesday."

This further underscores just what sort of strangle hold Jerry and the Hudson County Machine has over us. Their system, their unjust system of conducting business where cronyism, corruption and greed trumps ethics, integrity and good business practices is a long standing tradition in Hudson County Politics. We all know this and we have all, up until now, found it's deep-seated, mafia style grip too impenetrable. Well, folks, if you are like me, you are now seeing that trend finally being tested. There are more educated, informed and "unconnected" voters in Jersey City than ever before. It's the Machines biggest fear. They have only prevailed when there is low voter turn out and where intimidation, suppression, lies and fear are their only allies in retaining their hold over us.

The time is now. There are simply too many reasons why we should vote Healy out. Healy has handed us a giant silver platter of stinking, crime ridden reasons. What more do we need?

Steven can win this if enough of us pull together. That much is for certain. I have seen the sea-change happen in parts of Jersey City like never before and I have spoken to quite a few residents who are very emotional about this election. Many of these people were victims of Hurricane Sandy who feel let down by Mayor Healy. And rightly so. I also personally know 2 elderly home owners on my block who are frightened by the new property tax reval and how it's being conducted but also know good and well why Healy suspended it just before the election. I will personally see they make it to the polls.

Make no mistake, these people, these hard working tax payers are voting not only with their minds but also with their hearts and that sort of voter is non existent in the Healy camp.

Folks, you only need to scratch the surface on Healy's re-election play book to really get at the disturbing sickness that makes up his character.

On Tuesday the 14th open your hearts and minds and vote Healy and the Machine out.

Click the link to donate or volunteer!

Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2013/5/9 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WeBelongHere wrote:
That's why they dredge up old stiuff about Mayor Healy that nobody cares about.

That's funny, thanks.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
And I just forwarded this endorsement to the White House with another "thank you" note to our President.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 14:00

Star Ledger Endorsement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to share with you all the latest endorsement from the Star Ledger - the NJ statewide newspaper of record. It really speaks volumes that they are weighing in on this race as well and I hope you have a couple minutes to read their opinion. With this in mind though it is still a close race and the turnout will impact the results - we really need large turnout otherwise there are few avenues to win. Hope you have a chance to read this and share with your family /friends

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page ... ayor_no.html#incart_river

Steve

Posted on: 2013/5/9 12:55

Fulop for Jersey City mayor, not the damaged Healy: Star Ledger endorsement
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
I was up early this morning and what do I see? Another sign that the emperors lack of clothes are apparent to all - or at least to most. Even more blistering than the Jersey Journal's.

Star Ledger endorsement: Fulop for Jersey City mayor, not the damaged Healy

Finally, the people of Jersey City have a chance to fire their mayor, a man who is ineffective, unethical and often downright embarrassing.

It is an act of chutzpah for Mayor Jerramiah Healy to place his name on the ballot after the bulk of his inner circle was convicted on corruption charges in the 2009 Operation Bid Rig case. Healy wants voters to believe he knew nothing, that his senior people were taking cash-stuffed envelopes behind his back.

To say that?s hard to believe is being kind. But if it is true, Healy was dangerously clueless about the culture of his own team. Either way, he owes an apology he never delivered. Time for voters say thank you by easing his passage into early retirement.

Healy?s main challenger is Steven Fulop, 36, a councilman of rare energy and talent. He offers a menu of sensible reforms, such as closing the independent authorities that serve as unaccountable patronage mills, and absorbing their functions into the city government. He wants to ensure public schools get a share of the payments made by firms that get tax abatements. As a councilman, he won approval over Healy?s objections of key ethics reforms, including a ban on political donations from city contractors.

Yes, Fulop is young and unproven. Electing a rookie mayor always carries some risk.

But Fulop has already transformed the politics of a city that sorely needed it. He has built an army of volunteers hungry for better government and schools, and his supporters now control both the city council and the school committee. He crushed Healy in the debates with cogent plans to make change.

More in the full editorial.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 11:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/12 3:55
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/9 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you 81905, that was well written and everything you wrote about is exactly why I hate Jersey City. I believe Steve Fullop will be the one to fix all that sh#t. BTW, is that an interloping zip code in your username? :D

Posted on: 2013/5/9 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
While you are likely right H-Parker, in my book, that classifies them as uninformed voters.

We need to all do our part and explain to whomever we can in the next few days just why another 4 years of Jerry Healy is not the direction our city should be going in.

Click the link below to donate or volunteer!

Steven Fulop

Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
I hope everyone reads this. I disagree with 81905 that only people on the Healy payroll are going to vote for him. Whatever is motivating them, there are enough Healy supporters to keep the race close. I imagine much of his support involves resentment of the "interlopers" downtown.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
I hope everyone reads this. I disagree with 81905 that only people on the Healy payroll are going to vote for him. Whatever is motivating them, there are enough Healy supporters to keep the race close. I imagine much of his support involves resentment of the "interlopers" downtown.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, one thing is for certain there are no self serving employees under Healy's or the Big Machines thumb over at the Jersey Journal. Thank God for that.

Come on all you Healy supporters! Let's cut the crap and get to the brass tacks. The only (and I mean the only) people casting a vote for this guy are the uninformed voters or the ones with double-dipping, low-show jobs and their families and friends who are riding their coat tails. There is no way an educated voter can take pride and be pleased with the current state of affairs in Jersey City. Impossible!

Just off the top of my head - indisputable reasons to NOT vote for Healy:

-Failing schools and Jerry has the audacity to select Epps on his ticket! (What's the real reason for that vote of confidence Jersey City?)
-Crime, trash, pot holes everywhere
-Extremely high property taxes
-Development that has a shelf-life and zero aforethought
-Inefficient building dept with an "it's who you know" philosophy
-Time constraints and unimaginable red tape to open a business in JC
-Poor use of green space
-Unfriendly/unsafe city for pedestrians and bicyclists
-Pay for play would still be gong strong had it not been for Fulop & others
-Unprecedented FBI corruption charges of Jerry's inner circle
-Embarrassment after embarrassment by the mayor himself (it's astounding what he is willing to say to a veteran reporter about a 9 year old event a week away from an election.)
-Hurricane Sandy = Healy no show
-He has made Favoritism, Nepotism and Cronyism the backbone of all his campaigns and it's the only reason he has a shot at winning again.

Folks, when you stack the cards in your favor not based on performance but rather on crony capitalism you have essentially created a virus that will not succumb to righteousness.

I am not particularly religious but I ask all the wayward Healy supporters to visit Proverbs 11:6

"The righteousness of the upright will deliver them, but the treacherous will be caught by their own greed"

That's what is happening here, pure and simple. They are snared in a trap that they know in their hearts is unjust but because greed is so powerful they can't untie the bounds.

Let's help these souls free themselves and vote out the Machine....Vote out this evil machine that's festering all over Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:45

Jersey Journal endorses Steven Fulop for mayor of Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Editorial: Jersey Journal endorses Steven Fulop for mayor of Jersey City

By The Jersey Journal
May 08, 2013 at 8:10 AM

The Jersey Journal endorses Downtown Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop for mayor.

There are four people who are asking the voters to elect them to the city?s highest office. With Fulop, this newspaper believes the city has the best chance to use its superior inherent qualities ? its geography, people and resources ? to become one of the nation?s prominent municipalities.

Fulop has the leadership and sound decision-making abilities to select the right path for Jersey City?s journey through the 21st century. He has the vision and commitment to make this city a place that will sustain its residents and improve their lives and that of their children.

The smoke and mirrors employed by the current administration for the last eight and a half years have not allowed all of Jersey City to reach its potential. The city, and more important its people, deserve so much better.

Jersey City is a vital city in the New York metropolitan region with a dense but very diverse population of about 250,000 people. We are a transportation hub with a deep water port, rails, buses, light rail trains, ferries and many major roadways that intersect the Hudson County seat. Located across from the Big Apple, Jersey City is a major financial center with an ever-growing service industry.

Usually, this is how the city is described. There should be much more.

There?s untapped potential in city landmarks like the Landmark Loew?s Jersey Theatre and the Sixth Street Embankment ? places that, with proper planning, could be destinations. Artists have always been attracted to the city, and its institutions of higher learning ? St. Peter?s University, New Jersey City University and Hudson County Community College ? are growing in capital improvements, curriculum and student populations.

Since being elected to the City Council in 2005, Fulop has been the major voice of reason in local government.

In his first term, he was the lone council member to challenge an administration that lacked transparency and imagination but controlled the legislative body. Labeled a reformer, Fulop managed to bring together a council coalition interested in better serving their constituents. Since November, with the election of Ward F Councilwoman Diane Coleman, Fulop?s power on the City Council has grown. The coalition he helped create has been able to block administration efforts that were wrong for Jersey City.

One of his prominent accomplishments is adoption of a strict pay-to-play ordinance designed to ban vendors from using campaign donations to secure contracts with the city. The councilman backed an effort to have city government employees put in 25 years of service before being entitled to lifetime benefits. He co-sponsored a living-wage ordinance to improve pay for workers of companies that have contracts with the city.

FULOP GOT THINGS DONE

In a city facing annual financial problems, despite decades of waterfront development, Fulop helped end costly health benefits for board members of the city Municipal Utilities and Incinerator authorities. Among his other accomplishments, the administration agreed to place government-identifying decals on a dozen city-owned cars used by selected individuals ? a watered-down version of Fulop?s request for decals on all vehicles, except those used by public safety. He also calls for more rational use of tax abatements to stimulate development in the older sections of the city.

Fulop ... has the vision and commitment to make this city a place that will sustain its residents and improve their lives.

It should be noted that this election is also a referendum on the present administration headed by a mayor whose time in office took on a surreal quality this week when a controversial issue from his 2004 run for mayor resurfaced.

While being interviewed by a Star-Ledger columnist, incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy decided to clarify how a photograph of him, naked and sitting on the steps of his front porch, became public on the Internet during the 2004 special election campaign. The mayor felt he had to explain that "three Hispanic girls," whom he?d never mentioned before, were to blame for the incident. At the time, his campaign portrayed him as a victim of a political dirty trick.

In fact, in Healy?s eyes nothing during his years in office has been his fault. This includes a 2006 scuffle with Bradley Beach police that led to a disorderly conduct conviction that the mayor appealed and lost. The mayor never apologized for his behavior.

The worst was yet to come.

In 2009, Operation Bid Rig III, a federal investigation into dishonest government in New Jersey, led to massive arrests. Those who were indicted and convicted of or pleaded guilty to corruption included members of Healy?s administration, such as then-deputy mayor Leona Beldini, then-council president Mariano Vega, then-council member Philip Kenny, and then-city Housing Authority commissioner Edward Cheatam. Beldini was also Healy?s reelection campaign treasurer that year.

The mayor was never charged and says he did nothing wrong.

He also never strongly denounced, or apologized for, these corrupt officials. His administration also helped stonewall Vega?s resignation. The councilman didn?t step down until it was too late to hold a special election to replace him, allowing Healy?s majority on the council to hand pick a successor.

On Feb. 5, 2010, The Jersey Journal wrote an editorial: "Healy must resign as mayor of Jersey City." Healy was described as being disengaged from reality and as posing as a caring public official. An excerpt of that editorial:

"As in his Bradley Beach conviction, Healy does not believe he did anything wrong in his meetings with purported developer Solomon Dwek, an FBI informant and cooperating witness. This mayor even sees the videos in the Beldini trial as vindicating him.

"What the hidden camera lens caught was a mayor who is willing to talk development and campaign contributions over a dish of potato salad. Is this how business gets done in Jersey City?"

Remember, the mayor is a lawyer and former municipal judge, an officer of the court who should be held to a high ethical standard.

CRIME A MAJOR ISSUE

Ironically, a major issue in the current election is crime.

Healy has always run on a public safety platform. He joined a group of East Coast mayors who demand stricter gun control laws. The city has also initiated gun buyback efforts. Yet, when residents have complained about what they see as high crime, the mayor has repeatedly said he has statistics that show that crime is down. His reaction seems more political than sympathetic.

The mayor solicited and received a number of political endorsements, including those from President Obama and Mayors Cory Booker of Newark, Michael Bloomberg of New York City and Thomas Menino of Boston. While Obama does not know this city and is paying back Healy for his early support of his own first campaign, Menino is in his last term and helping out a gun control comrade.

It is easy to make the argument that Booker and Bloomberg made the endorsements for the same reason as Menino, but one could also argue that the heads of two rival municipalities wouldn?t mind seeing Healy remain as an ineffective chief executive.

INNER CITY IGNORED

Healy?s administration can be summed up by a stretch of Bergen Avenue, from Montgomery Street south. While one could argue that dealing with crime is difficult and the poor economy can be an impressive foe, there is no excuse for not providing basic services.

Taxpayers along this stretch have been clamoring for years for the city to pave the road and fix the curbs, only to be ignored. Potholes and bare patches are the norm along the forgotten avenue, a metaphor for older sections of the city. It is not the waterfront.

Besides Healy and Fulop, the mayoral candidates are Abdul Malik, a local activist who was a physician in his native Pakistan, and Jerry Walker, a former basketball star and co-founder of Team Walker, a nonprofit academic and recreation organization for city children.

Malik is passionate about his desire to represent local residents, criticizes the constant use of tax abatements for mostly waterfront development and chides politicians for making running for office a career. The Journal feels Malik does not have the administrative skills to handle the day-to-day grind of the second-largest city in New Jersey.

Walker is an intriguing prospect in that he is a convincing speaker ? no doubt a skill he has developed in seeking funds for the nonprofit he created ? and argues that he has learned administrative and budgeting skills working with his nonprofit. He seems very capable of bringing people together. The Journal believes he has yet to hone governmental and political statesmanship skills. Walker bears watching as a future city leader.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... steven_fulop_for_may.html

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017