Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: RIP: Richie Havens, Woodstock Legend
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Where in Jersey City did he live? There was a big thread on him a few years back (can't find now) -- if I remember correctly he lived in the Heights.

http://youtu.be/E_VFvn2oW2s

In the late 1990s, he used to live on Coles Street. Moved to the Heights after that. Really nice guy. Gonna miss that voice.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 3:37
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
He had a big part in Greased Lightning with Richard Pryor

Resized Image

http://www.youtube.com/movie/greased-lightning

as well these other films

I'm Not There.
Old Man Arvin

1991 Perfect Harmony (TV movie)
Scrapper Johnson

1990 Street Hunter
Daze

1987 Hearts of Fire
Pepper Ward

1981 The Girl, the Gold Watch & Dynamite (TV movie)
Amos

1978 The Boss' Son
Albert

1977 Greased Lightning
Woodrow

1974 Catch My Soul
Othello

..and here is a time capsule of a rare song he did on Sesame Street in 1975

http://youtu.be/DdCx-1afCgM

Posted on: 2013/4/24 2:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
The artist who stepped up to the plate and improvised as he opened the Woodstock festival lived here in JC as a humble and generous human being. If you are not familiar with his music, please check it out, you won't regret it. Godspeed Mr. Havens.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Where in Jersey City did he live? There was a big thread on him a few years back (can't find now) -- if I remember correctly he lived in the Heights.

He lived on Webster Ave, North of South St.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 0:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Made me so sad to hear of his passing. Such a good & positive man. Richie, your music will be with us forever. Rest in peace.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/23 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I saw Richie Haven at a street fair in Hoboken. He was playing free, right on the street. A good crowd surrounded him as he sang "All Along The Watchtower." I am glad I had the opportunity to hear him and I am thankful for all he gave.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 13:29
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
A terrific laid back folk singer living in Jersey City I thought he would have made it to the Brennan Coffee House for a performance oh well the Brennan is closed for renovations and Richie is no more. R.I.P Mr. Havens

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
'Freedom'! Rest in peace Mr. Havens.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:15

Re: RIP: Richie Havens
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Richie Havens was a great musician, an amazing performer, and a wonderful spirit. I saw him several years ago on Governor's Island and we had a nice chat afterwards. This is where I discovered we shared a love for Jersey City.

His energy in performance was truly remarkable, and it is hard to imagine him any other way than filled with life.

Rest in peace.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:14

RIP: Richie Havens, Woodstock Legend
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Richie Havens, the veteran folk singer whose frenetic guitar strumming and impassioned vocals made him one of the defining voices and faces of Woodstock and 1960s pop music, died Monday of a heart attack at his home in Jersey City, N.J. He was 72.

His death was confirmed by his booking agent, Tim Drake.

The Brooklyn native with the powerful ripsaw voice galvanized rock fans as the opening act at Woodstock, the festival billed as "Three Days of Peace and Music" in upstate New York in August 1969.

His performance of "Freedom/Motherless Child," adapted from a black spiritual he learned as a child, became a landmark anthem of the event, which included performances by Jimi Hendrix, The Who, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

"Richie Havens was one of the nicest, most generous and pure individuals I have ever met," Stephen Stills said in a statement Monday. "He always caught fire every time he played."

Originally scheduled as the fifth act on the initial day of the festival, Havens and two members of his band were pressed into service when massive traffic jams on the roads leading to Max Yasgur's farm outside Woodstock delayed the musicians slated to go on first.

Havens' "powerful but calm demeanor was just what we needed to set the tone for liftoff," Michael Lang, a co-creator of the Woodstock festival, wrote in his 2009 book "The Road to Woodstock."

Shortly after 5 p.m. on the opening day, Havens, guitarist Paul Williams and drummer Daniel Ben Zebulon went before the restless crowd of 500,000 people, many of whom had camped on the site for a week. Opening with a signature song, "Handsome Johnny," Havens gave a marathon performance with several encores to buy time for fellow performers still struggling to reach the venue.

After three hours, he painstakingly tuned his guitar while trying to figure out what he had left to play.

"I had sung all the songs I knew," he recalled in 1993 in the Chicago Tribune, "but then I started thinking about the concept of freedom. I thought that we had made a mistake in thinking that freedom was something we needed to obtain instead of realizing that we already had it. That was my inspiration, and I started singing the word 'freedom' and went on from there."

His performance of "Freedom/Motherless Child" embodied the sense of frustration at the strictures of the social status quo and looming liberation being felt by both blacks and whites, and men and women during an era of tremendous sociopolitical turmoil.

Richard Pierce Havens was born on Jan. 21, 1941, in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, where his father made Formica tables and played piano with a jazz flair. His grandmother exposed him to Jewish folk songs, Irish ballads and Caribbean island music.

He graduated from street-corner doo-wop groups to performing with the McCrea Gospel Singers as a teenager. Fired from his job as a portrait artist in Manhattan's Greenwich Village after missing work one day, he began performing music. His first album, "Mixed Bag," was released in 1967.

He formed his own record label, Stormy Forest, which released six of his albums. They included "Alarm Clock," which featured Havens' biggest hit single, his cover of George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun." He was also known for his interpretations of material by Bob Dylan and Van Morrison.

Throughout the 1980s and '90s, Havens recorded television commercial jingles for companies including Amtrak and McDonald's.

Long active in causes related to the environment, Havens performed at the Environmental Inaugural Ball, one of the festivities associated with the 1993 inauguration of President Clinton.

He played a sold-out concert in 2009 at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, on the site of Woodstock, to help mark its 40th anniversary.

He is survived by three daughters, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

news.obits@latimes.com

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017