Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Man crossing Jersey City street struck and killed by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bjay wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Questions:

Why is he NOT indicted for Speeding, Reckless Driving AND Manslaughter?

There's a distinction between the summonses that were issued right away for the traffic violations, and the criminal charges brought in the indictment by the grand jury.

In the first category, the newspaper story says: "Following the April 19 accident, Spolizino ... was issued summonses for speeding, careless driving, no vehicle inspection sticker and failure to wear a seat belt."

In the second category (the criminal charges), the story says that Spolizino "has been indicted by a grand jury on three charges including aggravated manslaughter..... a death by auto charge and one of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident resulting in death...."

Right, that's what I was trying to explain. Where are the criminal charges for speeding and reckless driving, along with the standing Manslaughter charge? He got sumonses for them, but they are not part of the criminal charges. Perhaps I am unclear on what actions fall under the current charges (ie, does speeding fall under "death by auto"?)

Also, if you recall, it took several weeks for those initial summonses to be issued against the driver, no blood/breathalizer were taken, and the police refuse to release the 911 recordings or the speed he was travelling at time of impact. This whole thing smells bad, IMHO. All because the perpetrator is a cop. If he wasn't a cop, you can bet it wouldn't have been handled so poorly.

A few of us are planning to speak on this issue before the City Council mtg. on Aug. 28th. We plan to ask them to demand of the County Prosecutor an answer as to why there is such a difference in the indictments when the basic fact of a the violent death by an out of control vehicle is so obvious. If anyone wants to join, or just come to the meeting to show support, we'd appreciate this.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 22:55

Re: Man crossing Jersey City street struck and killed by off-duty Jersey City cop
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The Jersey Journal wrote:
The Jersey Journal sought recordings of 911 calls made immediately after the April 19 incident, but was rebuffed by city officials who said the calls were not public records. The paper is contesting that decision.

I thought all calls to 911 were public record?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Questions:

There's a distinction between the summonses that were issued right away for the traffic violations, and the criminal charges brought in the indictment by the grand jury.

In the first category, the newspaper story says: "Following the April 19 accident, Spolizino ... was issued summonses for speeding, careless driving, no vehicle inspection sticker and failure to wear a seat belt."

In the second category (the criminal charges), the story says that Spolizino "has been indicted by a grand jury on three charges including aggravated manslaughter..... a death by auto charge and one of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident resulting in death...."

Posted on: 2013/8/7 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
The article says:

"Following the April 19 accident, Spolizino, who is assigned to the city?s emergency services unit and makes a $93,590 salary, was issued summonses for speeding, careless driving, no vehicle inspection sticker and failure to wear a seat belt."

So he was issued summons as was the bus driver. Are you asking if these infractions are criminal offenses?

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
The indictment has come down.

But here's the weird thing about this per a neighbor of mine, with which I agree.

Questions:

Contrast this with the speed with which the authorities acted after the accident that killed the infant. It was announced by the same sheriff's department that is responsible for the same county street, the very same day, that the jitney driver

"Idowu Daramola, 48, of New York, is being issued summonses for reckless driving and for using a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle, but he is being booked on the criminal offense of death by auto, a crime carrying a possible prison term of five to 10 years upon conviction, Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari told The Jersey Journal."

Posted on: 2013/8/7 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The indictment has come down.

But here's the weird thing about this per a neighbor of mine, with which I agree.

Questions:

Contrast this with the speed with which the authorities acted after the accident that killed the infant. It was announced by the same sheriff's department that is responsible for the same county street, the very same day, that the jitney driver

"Idowu Daramola, 48, of New York, is being issued summonses for reckless driving and for using a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle, but he is being booked on the criminal offense of death by auto, a crime carrying a possible prison term of five to 10 years upon conviction, Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari told The Jersey Journal."

Posted on: 2013/8/7 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like there may be an indictment on the way for the cop.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ident.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, how ironic that both the deceased and the driver were from the Bellmore area.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 22:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please pray for the repose of the soul of
Stephen Clifford ?06
Brother of Jennie ?02, Kellie ?05
Wake:
Charles G. Schmitt Funeral Home
3863 Merrick Road
Seaford, New York 11783
(516) 785-3380
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
7:00 p.m. ? 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
2:00 p.m. ? 4:00 p.m.
7:00 p.m. ? 9:00 p.m.
Funeral:
Thursday, April 25, 2013
10:45 a.m.
St. Barnabas the Apostle
2320 Bedford Avenue
Bellmore, New York
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Stephen Andrew Clifford Memorial Scholarship Fund at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Regional School. Donations can be made payable to S.E.A.S. (memo line: Clifford Memorial) and mailed to 2341 Washington Avenue, Bellmore, NY 11710.
May he rest in peace.

http://www.kellenberg.org/please-pray ... ul-of-stephen-clifford-06

http://www.schmittfuneralhome.com/fh/ ... ?o_id=2071462&fh_id=11474

Posted on: 2013/5/1 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Again and again I tell people who don't live here that living in Jersey City is like being in one of those Sidney Lumet films of the 1970's and 80's. The corrupt politicians, the cops, some good, some terrible. The lack of response to public inquiry. The "Don't worry about it" attitudes. The lax city services and no-show jobs. And of course, the bags of money being passed off in crappy parking lots by odd-shaped cronies in ill-fitting shirts and ties.

Here, here! When you live here long enough each person you know has a first hand story of this boys club corruption. I refuse to participate any longer, I refuse to own and pay taxes to such a corrupt system. It's a lose, lose in JC.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 21:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Spolizino, a member of the Emergency Services Unit, was issued summonses for speeding, careless driving, no vehicle inspection sticker and failure to wear a seat belt. Police Chief Tom Comey refused to comment further and wouldn't reveal how fast they believe Spolizino was going at the time of the accident until the investigation is completed.

Comey said that the investigation is still active and the results will be handed over to the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office.

The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2013/5/1 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:
Witness in pedestrian death by auto calls for independent investigation

?Although I saw multiple people present, the public statement from the [Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey] says that the sole eyewitness they interviewed did not give a name or address,?

In response to Harkins? claim that he and other witnesses have not been contacted, Nalbach said, ?We don?t know Joe Harkins from a hole in the wall. I?m sorry that Mr. Harkins feels the way that he does. There are a lot of rumors out there, but they don?t jibe with what we know. We don?t have any other witnesses, other than a man [interviewed at the scene] who did not want to give his name or address.?

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Witness in pedestrian death by auto calls for independent investigation

Go Joe!Ok, maybe the cop wasn't drinking. But a man was killed. And he was thrown about half a block with no skid marks...on a road that has a 25mph limit. No doubt about it the driver was speeding. Also, note that no summons was issued at all. This is outrageous. The victim lived in my building. This needs a proper investigation and if JCPD has nothing to hide, let an outside reputable agency do it to show they have nothing to hide.

The Hudson Reporter article has one comment from Joeharkins | April 28, 2013
Quote:

Deputy Police Chief Nalbach offers yet one more reason why an independent investigation is necessary when he states, "In response to Harkins? claim that he and other witnesses have not been contacted, . . . . We don?t know Joe Harkins from a hole in the wall."

That ignorance can only be either deliberate or or incompetent; possibly even both. Exactly how hard am I to find?

I was born in Jersey City more than 80 years ago. My family on both sides (and very large families, too in the Irish tradition of the time) has been here 3 generations. My phone number is listed. I am a registered voter. I have lived at this same address, a short walk from Police HQ for many years. Only 3 weeks ago, I had a long, pleasant and mutually supportive phone conversation, and an email exchange, with one the highest ranking officers in the department on a subject of mutual interest. My statements of facts that the vehicle did not stop at the scene within my view, were made in front of the JC City Council at a public meeting where my name and address are publicly registered and I am known to at least 5 of those Council members and by the Mayor who married me and my wife not so very long ago. I am the Committeeman for Ward B, District 2.

Did DPC Nalbach even ask the reporter for my phone number or email address?

Yet, the Deputy Police Chief, an official one would expect has virtually instant access to that information and more, does not know how to find me. Or, if he does, he has not.

I do understand that the initial reaction is defensive of the department. But I repeat that the best way of defending the good reputation of the JCPD is to invite an independent investigation, free of suspicion of obfuscation or bias, where one of their own is involved.

Therefore, by the time this response appears in public, I will have sent a request to the Office of the Attorney General of the State of NJ that an independent investigation be launched that will reveal the unbiased truth about this tragedy

Posted on: 2013/4/30 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Again and again I tell people who don't live here that living in Jersey City is like being in one of those Sidney Lumet films of the 1970's and 80's. The corrupt politicians, the cops, some good, some terrible. The lack of response to public inquiry. The "Don't worry about it" attitudes. The lax city services and no-show jobs. And of course, the bags of money being passed off in crappy parking lots by odd-shaped cronies in ill-fitting shirts and ties.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:

?Although I saw multiple people present, the public statement from the [Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey] says that the sole eyewitness they interviewed did not give a name or address,?

In response to Harkins? claim that he and other witnesses have not been contacted, Nalbach said, ?We don?t know Joe Harkins from a hole in the wall. I?m sorry that Mr. Harkins feels the way that he does. There are a lot of rumors out there, but they don?t jibe with what we know. We don?t have any other witnesses, other than a man [interviewed at the scene] who did not want to give his name or address.?

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Witness in pedestrian death by auto calls for independent investigation

Go Joe!Ok, maybe the cop wasn't drinking. But a man was killed. And he was thrown about half a block with no skid marks...on a road that has a 25mph limit. No doubt about it the driver was speeding. Also, note that no summons was issued at all. This is outrageous. The victim lived in my building. This needs a proper investigation and if JCPD has nothing to hide, let an outside reputable agency do it to show they have nothing to hide.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children?

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
that is a rough-looking 36.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 20:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I see that he made his facebook private after we discussed him earlier, but as a matter of public interest, the images are here again:
Resized Image

Resized Image

also, this was his header image on his facebook profile while it was up:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/29 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Comey said there was no indication that Spolizino was under the influence of alcohol or any other substance and that a sobriety test was not administered.

Comey should lose his job over his handling of this investigation. How could they not give him a sobriety test??!! No skid marks? Didn't see him?

Protecting one of their own like the good old days.

If it was NYC, they'd just say "No Criminality Suspected"

Posted on: 2013/4/23 3:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Fat Ass Bike, sobriety tests should be compulsory in all fatal accidents, theres only 1 problem with that , which it is called the United States Constitution. Last time I checked we still have a Constitution and unless I am mistaken Police Officers in Jersey City are United States Citizens and as such are afforded those rights.In order for a sobriety test to be administered there must be Probable Cause, simply because it was a fatal ACCIDENT doesn't mean the driver was drunk. So enlighten me what is the Probable Cause for a sobriety test?

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Also, in reading the article again and in talking to neighbors, I cannot tell if the light was green in favor of the direction the pedestrian was crossing, or against him. See below & tell me what this means:

"A witness, who did not give his name, told responding police officers that Clifford "was crossing (Kennedy Boulevard) while the light was green, hesitated, then darted across and was struck by the vehicle," according to the accident report."

In learning more from some eye-witnesses, the victim was launched/pushed almost half a block down JFK and the driver did not stop. PErhaps he did return to the scene - but it is not yet clear or been reported as such. Which makes me think this whole thing smells doubly bad. The driver got no alcohol test, nor any summons. WTF??

Given the trajectory/distance that the victim traveled, how could this driver have been going 25mph or less? He had to be speeding. And also, as mentioned above - did the driver run a red light, or was the light green for him and the pedestrian jay-walked?

Like others said, crime is crime no matter who does it. It may very well have been an "accident" but all accidents need to get the same thorough investigation, no matter who the perp is. I love good cops. But justice needs to be served here.

I've also just learned that this victim lived in my building. Heartbreaking. Young guy just out of law school at his first big job trying to get his promising law career going.

Wow. That's really sad.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, in reading the article again and in talking to neighbors, I cannot tell if the light was green in favor of the direction the pedestrian was crossing, or against him. See below & tell me what this means:

"A witness, who did not give his name, told responding police officers that Clifford "was crossing (Kennedy Boulevard) while the light was green, hesitated, then darted across and was struck by the vehicle," according to the accident report."

In learning more from some eye-witnesses, the victim was launched/pushed almost half a block down JFK and the driver did not stop. PErhaps he did return to the scene - but it is not yet clear or been reported as such. Which makes me think this whole thing smells doubly bad. The driver got no alcohol test, nor any summons. WTF??

Given the trajectory/distance that the victim traveled, how could this driver have been going 25mph or less? He had to be speeding. And also, as mentioned above - did the driver run a red light, or was the light green for him and the pedestrian jay-walked?

Like others said, crime is crime no matter who does it. It may very well have been an "accident" but all accidents need to get the same thorough investigation, no matter who the perp is. I love good cops. But justice needs to be served here.

I've also just learned that this victim lived in my building. Heartbreaking. Young guy just out of law school at his first big job trying to get his promising law career going.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Comey said there was no indication that Spolizino was under the influence of alcohol or any other substance and that a sobriety test was not administered.

Not good enough - Any accident, especially when there is an injury, an alcohol and drug test should (compulsory) be performed on the victim and driver.

Comey suggests that if you 'look' sober then you must be sober ! I bet if Joe Citizen was behind the wheel, a test would be carried out.

Was the off-duty cop speeding and why would the pedestrian suggest there was hesitation on crossing and then returning to the kerb ?

A lot of grey areas in this fatality

Posted on: 2013/4/23 0:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live right at that intersection. While we don't know if the driver was speeding or not, this stretch of JFK has a terrible speeding problem from SPU all the way to Lincoln Park/Communipaw. Its especially bad as drivers make the curve when crossing Duncan. I believe this intersection has a red-light cam. I wonder if it caught the footage of him crossing.

Granted,the pedestrian should not have crossed against the light. But this roadway really needs better signage, reflective re-painting, and even some speed bumps IMHO. I'd even advocate for one of those live "MPH" signs that displays everyone's speed as they approach it.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

A witness, who did not give his name, told responding police officers that Clifford "was crossing (Kennedy Boulevard) while the light was green, hesitated, then darted across and was struck by the vehicle," according to the accident report.

Spolizino, who was driving a 2005 Chevrolet, told officers at the scene that he did not see Clifford crossing the street and that Clifford "came out of nowhere," the accident report said..

Posted on: 2013/4/22 21:51

Man crossing Jersey City street struck and killed by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal

Resized Image

Michael Spolizino, 36, a Jersey City police officer, struck and killed a man crossing Kennedy Boulevard Friday night, authorities confirmed.

A Jersey City man crossing Kennedy Boulevard Friday night was struck and killed by an off-duty Jersey City police officer, police confirmed this afternoon.
According to an accident report, Stephen A. Clifford, 24, was walking east on Fairmount Avenue at 10 p.m. when he was struck by Michael Spolizino, 36, who has been with the Jersey City Police Department since 2007.

Clifford, who had moved to Jersey City from Bellmore, N.Y. recently, was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center and pronounced dead at 10:35 p.m.

A witness, who did not give his name, told responding police officers that Clifford "was crossing (Kennedy Boulevard) while the light was green, hesitated, then darted across and was struck by the vehicle," according to the accident report.

Spolizino, who was driving a 2005 Chevrolet, told officers at the scene that he did not see Clifford crossing the street and that Clifford "came out of nowhere," the accident report said.

Jersey City police spokesman Stan Eason said no summonses were issued, but Jersey City police are investigating. Police Chief Tom Comey said the results of the Jersey City accident investigation will be forwarded to the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office.

Comey said there was no indication that Spolizino was under the influence of alcohol or any other substance and that a sobriety test was not administered. Comey also said that the investigation will attempt to determine how fast Spolizino was driving when he struck Clifford.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:25

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017