Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Input about moving to JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a link to an $1800 2BR in SH. Assigned and guest parking, so should fit 2 cars.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/3751715979.html

There were others in that price range.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/13 18:52
From Plovdiv
Group:
Registered Users
have you thought about buying?
if you can come up with a down payment
your budget of $2500 should get you
a home in a nice part of the heights
with a garage for one car and driveway
for the other. imho that beats renting

Posted on: 2013/4/19 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
Anyone know anything about the Alexan City View complex in Bayonne?

Nothing specific, but I think they flooded during Sandy (then again almost everywhere in the area flooded) and it's next to the port so I would assume you get some noise from that.

Should be easy in an out from there.

Thanks. Do you know anything about section 8 units in there? I think they do, but am not a 100% sure.

Check link for reviews.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
In all fairness to the poster, most of the advice that was given to him/her was to get rid of the cars or car, take mass transit or downsize, but with no real answer to his/her question.

Also Jclisters can be just as nasty and sometimes nastier.

Reading his responses, I sensed that the OP had a chip on shoulder. Maybe he felt defensive when people suggested that what we are attempting to do is not smart.

I sensed (this is all speculation) that he is someone who is coming from a suburb and hasn't realized that he has to change his thinking when he lives in an urban environment.

Don't you ever stop? You assumed a lot in your first arrogant response and now you continue to make an "ass" out of yourself by assuming more...

No, let's not stop. Let's keep fueling this fire! This is fun!

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/2 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:

Nothing specific, but I think they flooded during Sandy (then again almost everywhere in the area flooded) and it's next to the port so I would assume you get some noise from that.

Thanks. Do you know anything about section 8 units in there? I think they do, but am not a 100% sure.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know anything about the Alexan City View complex in Bayonne? It's a little pricey but almost brand new and I think it has some section 8 units.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
I know a few people who rent off of Sip ave near 440 and they all have 2-3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full laundry, stainless appliances, driveways and garage spots, all under 1700 a month. Keep looking and if you want to be in Jersey City you will catch a deal sooner or later.

Thanks. Been checking out craigslist for heights area. Some of the places on Ogden ave are pretty pricy, but I will keep my eyes open.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
I know a few people who rent off of Sip ave near 440 and they all have 2-3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full laundry, stainless appliances, driveways and garage spots, all under 1700 a month. Keep looking and if you want to be in Jersey City you will catch a deal sooner or later.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Quote:

I looked into Heights, but don't see much that fits our needs for rent. DJTC parking is hard on the street - there is no denying this.

I don't think Jersey City is the place for you. Try Westfield or Cranford, NJ. They are nice/safe towns. You can rent a place relatively inexpensively and they both have a walkable "downtown" area. It's roughly halfway between NYC and New Brunswick and is on the NJ Transit Raritan Valley line.

I am not sure where you are moving from... but based on your unique criteria it doesn't sound like you will be happy with Jersey City. Granted its not for everyone... but I LOVE it!!!

Thanks for your brilliant advice. I wasn't sure that I had to get your approval before moving anywhere.

Quite frankly, you asked people for input, yet you continue to provide nasty remarks based on the input received. I don't care where you move, nor does anyone else... people took time to respond to your message out of kindness and you respond with jerky comments???

Get lost!

I asked for input, not judgmental and condescending comments questioning my motives. This is JC for For cryin' out loud, not beverly hills!!

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I'm confused, didn't the OP grow up in JC? He/She should know JC inside out.

Way back in the day...JC has changed a lot in the last 15-20 yrs and just wanted to see if I was missing any info.

Well then you need to really take a 2nd look around, I don't think most of us on this board would be living in Jersey City, or GV, BL, TH, or JS if it was the 1990's.

Alot has change since the 90's. The secret to looking outside of downtown is to see how far the nearest section 8 housing is to the place you want to buy or rent.

The closest one near me is 3 blocks away and its for seniors. When I lived downtown I lived across from the projects which was a nightmare at times. When I lived in JSQ I lived near 12 section 8 buildings total fucking nightmare all the time.

Right. I have had my share of nightmares while growing up in JC. Shootings/stabbings/robberies - you name it. I suppose that's why I am very cautious, but I am glad to hear JC is changing or has changed for the better. The spot crime thing about BL was probably silly, but I had no objective info about the place. I will take a drive around there and see exactly how it has changed. Any particular streets to avoid or favor?

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I replied to this guys post cause he was just looking for a safe and convenient place to move to. You figure this posting was no big deal and yet its turned some what ugly.

I'll get flamed and blasted for this ....but whatever.

I am going to assume this doofus is a passive aggressive douche!

Internet gangsters. Gotta love them.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
In all fairness to the poster, most of the advice that was given to him/her was to get rid of the cars or car, take mass transit or downsize, but with no real answer to his/her question.

2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 parking spaces -- no problem. $5,000 a month should do the trick in any of the waterfront buildings.

$2,000 -- no problem. 1 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 parking space fits that in many of Jersey City's neighborhoods.

Not willing to compromise on anything? Either Jersey City isn't for you or you are too stupid for life.

Another dimwitted citizen of JC comes out of the shadows to contribute zilch.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Way back in the day...JC has changed a lot in the last 15-20 yrs and just wanted to see if I was missing any info.

Well then you need to really take a 2nd look around, I don't think most of us on this board would be living in Jersey City, or GV, BL, TH, or JS if it was the 1990's.

Alot has change since the 90's. The secret to looking outside of downtown is to see how far the nearest section 8 housing is to the place you want to buy or rent.

The closest one near me is 3 blocks away and its for seniors. When I lived downtown I lived across from the projects which was a nightmare at times. When I lived in JSQ I lived near 12 section 8 buildings total fucking nightmare all the time.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Reading his responses, I sensed that the OP had a chip on shoulder. Maybe he felt defensive when people suggested that what we are attempting to do is not smart.

I sensed (this is all speculation) that he is someone who is coming from a suburb and hasn't realized that he has to change his thinking when he lives in an urban environment.

Don't you ever stop? You assumed a lot in your first arrogant response and now you continue to make an "ass" out of yourself by assuming more...

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
The OP seems to have a specific requirements however someone?s budget must always dictate which options are the highest priority. Is the town the most important? Safety? Space?

I have a large dog so an apartment or condo was somewhat out of the equation. I felt like my best bet would be to buy something in an area that was safe enough though my budget dictated areas that are more on the border. I chose a beautiful building that just requires some work inside.

I am able to get almost everything I want, including a yard for my dog. As the area around me continues to improve I?ll be able to benefit from an increase in property value. It would be great if a lot of other people see my area the same and jump on the opportunity, but it?s not going to happen overnight.

I know the OP was asking about areas of JC, however they might want to look in Harrison. There is a ton of new construction going in. It?s already safe and the prices are dirt cheap for renting. They?d be able to get a large place with easy access to highways for commuting south and into Manhattan.

Thanks, will look into Harrison and see what's available.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:

We were considering gated places bc of safety - I grew up in JC in the mid 90s and I know first hand what JC is all about. I agree the city is turning around for the better but there are still some very sketchy hoods around.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? You posted that you live walking distance to PL. How is that area around where you live?

The OP grew up in JC in the 90s so he knows about all the neighborhoods. He was trying to see which one fit his budget. He was priced out of all of his first choices, a 2 br for 2K with 2 parking spaces. I think if he went farther away he would still have the same problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Susan_N wrote:
Hi Lenovo,

You wondered why jcmiles brought up Lafayette, but in your original thread you asked: "Are there any other neighborhoods we should be considering?" I live in Lafayette, and actually thought about responding to your original post, but I was lazy and did not. When jcmiles wrote the first post about Lafayette, I agreed, but was still lazy. But given your questioning as to why anyone would mention a neighborhood other than PL or SL, I thought I would point out that you seemed to have asked for this kind of information.

So, I will now answer your question about whether there are other neighborhoods to consider, knowing full well from your earlier responses that you are not likely to be interested in Lafayette. But maybe someone else will. It's too bad because I actually think that this neighborhood fits all of your criteria.

My husband and I have lived here for almost five years after years in Manhattan and a stint in downtown JC. We have two cars. He commutes to Manhattan (by bus and PATH) and I commute to Jersey suburbia (by car; super easy access to 78/Turnpike extension). There's tons of street parking and we were able to buy a three-story row house (three bedrooms, three full baths) with mortgage and taxes together that are well below your limit. I frequently walk or jog by myself and have never once felt unsafe or had a problem. I find this to be a tight-knit community. I know all of my neighbors, and everyone keeps an eye out for everyone else. I've become friends with a number of neighbors, more than I did in Manhattan or downtown JC. The connections among neighbors may be why we have had fairly minimal crime in my immediate part of the neighborhood. Nobody I know has been directly affected by crime in the years I've lived here.

In any case, I suspect you will now attack me as well, so please let me apologize in advance for bothering you. I hope, though, that this information will be useful to others who are reading this thread. I know that Lafayette is not for everyone, but many of us truly love it. In case you think that I'm all about Lafayette because I bought here, I want to mention that my husband and I rented for a year before buying; when we bought, we already knew we loved the neighborhood.

Best of luck in your search,
Susan

Never was questioning why anyone would mention anything other than PL or SH, but BL just seemed a little odd to suggest. Anyways, that's what I came on here for - to get opinions on various neighborhoods and I am glad to hear you like BL. Maybe I will go check it out in person and to see whether it has changed for the better.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
The OP seems to have a specific requirements however someone?s budget must always dictate which options are the highest priority. Is the town the most important? Safety? Space?

I have a large dog so an apartment or condo was somewhat out of the equation. I felt like my best bet would be to buy something in an area that was safe enough though my budget dictated areas that are more on the border. I chose a beautiful building that just requires some work inside.

I am able to get almost everything I want, including a yard for my dog. As the area around me continues to improve I?ll be able to benefit from an increase in property value. It would be great if a lot of other people see my area the same and jump on the opportunity, but it?s not going to happen overnight.

I know the OP was asking about areas of JC, however they might want to look in Harrison. There is a ton of new construction going in. It?s already safe and the prices are dirt cheap for renting. They?d be able to get a large place with easy access to highways for commuting south and into Manhattan.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Why wouldn't SH or PL fit OP's budget?

There are places in SH with a two car garage and there is definitely guest parking OP could use...

I agree OP isn't rainbows and sunshine but I agree that people are get nasty and try to make it seem like if you live in JC you shouldn't have a car or drive or must be some kind of soccer mom if you drive places.

That and like I've said before, OP could have said someone wants to rent me a condo in Newport for 3 cents and someone here would say "Newport is generic" or something else ridiculous.

Not everyone is the same, especially in JC. Can't we get over that?

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 parking spaces -- no problem. $5,000 a month should do the trick in any of the waterfront buildings.

$2,000 -- no problem. 1 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 parking space fits that in many of Jersey City's neighborhoods.

Not willing to compromise on anything? Either Jersey City isn't for you or you are too stupid for life.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Lenovo, Jersey City is just not for you. You don't have enough money to get what you want without compromise, and you don't seem willing to compromise.

Perhaps you should consider someplace like South Orange, Montclair, Rahway, or New Brunswick.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

The problem being that there is no correct answer. No JC neighborhood fits what the poster wanted and when people pointed out potential compromises that could be made to actually find a place in her budget she got nasty.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hear the drumbeat

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I replied to this guys post cause he was just looking for a safe and convenient place to move to. You figure this posting was no big deal and yet its turned some what ugly.

I'll get flamed and blasted for this ....but whatever.

I am going to assume this doofus is a passive aggressive douche!

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
60 posts - wow. Epic troll.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:04

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »