Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Input about moving to JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The simple fact of the matter is parking for 2 cars is a problem in this area, I don't know that there is a good solution for it at your price point other than to move a bit further out.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 16:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/2 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
We rent in the heights, 2br, 2 parking spots, only one bathroom though, laundry, storage, dishwasher, living/dining room for under 1600. Downtown you can just get the $15 street permit but parking is hard to come by on the street on some nights. If you look at Bayonne and even in Greenville you can find places with driveways.

I looked into Heights, but don't see much that fits our needs for rent. DJTC parking is hard on the street - there is no denying this.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Port Liberte and SH aren't "Greenville" in the cultural sense. Please find me $1 mil townhomes in Greenville. Let's be real here.

/quote]

when u learn to read a map then we can talk, I live walking distance from PL and its not downtown in the "cultural sense"

Posted on: 2013/4/18 16:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/2 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

You shouldn't overlook Bayonne. I suggest you visit and look around a bit. You will definitely find a great place with parking spots. Bayonne has a bit of everything, but without the higher crime. And of course you will have access to HBLR and are minutes away from JC.

Jersey City wise the area around the border of Bayonne and JC isn't so bad. And lots of folks keep saying good things about the Heights.

Looked at Bayonne and parking seems to be the kicker. Most places do not have any parking spots and, if they do, they only have one. Also, most apts are within two family homes i.e. top floor for rent and we would rather not live in a shared house. Street parking on Bayonne can be a hit or miss.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Having a car in JC is all about personal preference.

I work in the burbs now so I need it, but even when I worked in the city, I liked having it. I can walk to the mall and supermarkets and Target but I can't walk to my parents, the shore, RU games...and NJT is inconsistent and the train station is a twenty minute ride from where my family lives. People in a similar situation will want a car.

While Port Liberte and Society Hill aren't particularly walkable, they do offer better access to the city than most of the burbs. They are still "cabbable" to the PATH.

Port Liberte and SH aren't "Greenville" in the cultural sense. Please find me $1 mil townhomes in Greenville. Let's be real here.

The "sketchy area" by the tunnel has a new building called Cast Iron Lofts with 3k a month apartments, and they are building the Van Leer Condos, they have Zephyr and 700 Grove as well. There is one project. OK. It is still safer than most any place outside of DTJC, with perhaps the exceptions being SH and PL.

People here again are far too critical of other's real estate decisions. Most of us don't have the views or parking afforded to most in SH and PL. It's a trade off, and one that appears postively for the OP. So what's the big deal?

Posted on: 2013/4/18 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I'm going to guess someone who wanted a 'safe' neighborhood isn't going to like Greenville too much (outside of the gated communities).

Everyone is different lets not put everyone in the same box you are hiding in.

True, I hear a lot of people like to be unsafe and like a high number of shootings and assaults. For all we know, the original poster could be a gangster in which case, greenville would be appropriate

http://spotcrime.com/#greenville%2C%20jersey%20city

Its safe to say not all of Greenville is unsafe just like its safe to say not all downtown is safe. You have good and bad parts... FYI
Country Village, Port Liberte, Society Hill, are pretty safe and also a part of Greenville just like the seedy area near the tunnel is part of downtown. Give it a rest, besides the poster was inquiring about PL and SH which so far most of you have no opinion on.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I'm going to guess someone who wanted a 'safe' neighborhood isn't going to like Greenville too much (outside of the gated communities).

True, I hear a lot of people like to be unsafe and like a high number of shootings and assaults. For all we know, the original poster could be a gangster in which case, greenville would be appropriate

http://spotcrime.com/#greenville%2C%20jersey%20city

Posted on: 2013/4/17 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
You can consider Secaucus. It's the most suburban of all towns in Hudson county. You can drive into the city via Lincoln, which I fin better than Holland traffic-wise. And you can easily get onto the turnpike for southbound travel.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:
Have you considered Journal Square?

Parking in Journal square is not easy, when I had one car over there I had to find private parking for 100 bucks a month.

IMO places like Journal Square,Greenville, and The Heights you actual do need a car because it helps you to get around, these parts of town are not pedestrian friendly and with limited public transportation options. So I understand two cars. Many of my coworkers drive into lower Manhattan from The Bronx and Brooklyn all the time not such a big deal. If the tunnel was free like the bridges we would see alot more drivers coming from Jersey.

I agree with you on this. We need to drive everywhere because of how far up in the Heights we are.

Exactly! I live in a two car home, but I have a driveway and garage. I live down the road from the lightrail but I never take it on weekends, so I drive everywhere. The Heights, BL, GV, etc are becoming the suburbs of dtjc.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:

Parking in Journal square is not easy, when I had one car over there I had to find private parking for 100 bucks a month.

IMO places like Journal Square,Greenville, and The Heights you actual do need a car because it helps you to get around, these parts of town are not pedestrian friendly and with limited public transportation options. So I understand two cars. Many of my coworkers drive into lower Manhattan from The Bronx and Brooklyn all the time not such a big deal. If the tunnel was free like the bridges we would see alot more drivers coming from Jersey.

I agree with you on this. We need to drive everywhere because of how far up in the Heights we are.

Have bike will travel.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 17:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Two people without kids living in Jersey City with two cars is a bit too much. Why even live in JC? The advantage of JC is walkability and public transportation. Why not live in the suburbs if you both prefer to zip around in cars? Especially if you are looking at gated communities like Society Hill. What is the advantage of living in an urban area?

Also, why drive to Gramercy Park in Manhattan? If you live near a Path station, the 14th Street and 23rd Street stations offer really good accesibility to that neighborhood.

Also, if you live near a Path station, the commute by rail to New Brunswick is about 45 minutes, which is the same as the commute by car, or even faster if you account for bad traffic every now and then (which you will encounter). This is, of course, assuming you work in downtown New Brunswick near the train station.

BIG 2nd! I don't get it at all. I live here because of the proximity to my job in Manhattan and that I can get things done without owning a car.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/17 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two people without kids living in Jersey City with two cars is a bit too much. Why even live in JC? The advantage of JC is walkability and public transportation. Why not live in the suburbs if you both prefer to zip around in cars? Especially if you are looking at gated communities like Society Hill. What is the advantage of living in an urban area?

Also, why drive to Gramercy Park in Manhattan? If you live near a Path station, the 14th Street and 23rd Street stations offer really good accesibility to that neighborhood.

Also, if you live near a Path station, the commute by rail to New Brunswick is about 45 minutes, which is the same as the commute by car, or even faster if you account for bad traffic every now and then (which you will encounter). This is, of course, assuming you work in downtown New Brunswick near the train station.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I guess I will add my vote for Bergen Lafayette. Relatively safe, and very close to downtown. Also, super easy access to the turnpike, making it easy for the person heading to New Brunswick.

As jcmiles pointed out, off street parking is super easy too.

Many areas in BeLa are slowly improving, with several new developments and many gut renovations. As far as amenities, there are really none, other than a few bodegas/corner stores, and the ever present laundromats, with a few small food establishments sprinkled around.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 16:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Queue the Bergen/Lafayette bashing in 3 . . . 2 . . .

Posted on: 2013/4/17 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
With two cars I would look at opportunities to rent or buy in Bergen/Lafayette. You can find quite a few properties with their own driveways, or at least easy, free street parking right in front of your dwelling.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would strongly consider the Heights you will be in proximity to public transportation plus it is eaiser to exit Jersey City north and south without all of the crazy traffic patterns else where in J.C. The Heights gives you a lot of house for the money it is more family oriented, many block associations, terrific places to eat, quiet neighborhoods, two bike shops, and The Reservoir ! The rents in the Heights are not that high compared to that of Downtown J.C. Try calling Laura Skolar at Plaza Realty she is very active in the community. 3677 John F Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07307 (201) 420-7400
http://www.century21plaza.com/

Posted on: 2013/4/17 14:56
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/17 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Parking isn't necessarily a problem if you have one car. Also, in DTJC. There are parking garages in that area too. (Do a search on this site, you'll find threads about it). I recommend doing a search on this site anyways to get more opinions on areas. People have already been more specific about Greenville, Journal Square etc. PL is like a retirement community. It has no city flavor. We always tease it's for retirees with boats and people from the 'burbs too scared to come any further. You'd be isolated there, unless that's what you want.

There are possibilities in DTJC. I've had friends find amazing things for less than you imagine. Outdoor space and all. This is the time right now. If I had to move to Jersey City with what I know now about all the areas my first choice would be DTJC near Grove Street PATH. My friends who couldn't afford it there chose Journal Square, then the Heights.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 0:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/17 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Everyone is different, and there's nothing wrong with Greenville for lots of people. The chances are high that most of those people don't have 'safe' as a high requirement as the original poster did.

It's not a box it's trying to answer the question that was asked.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 13:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Driving into NYC on a daily basis is insanity. Tolls, gas, parking in NYC will kill your monthly budget. traffic backups leaving NYC via the Holland Tunnel frequently can be an hour or more.

Focus your search in the Paulus Hook or Hamilton Park neighborhoods downtown.

I live in Hamilton Park Area and it's convenient and relatively safe. Its ideal for us because I work in NYC (PATH) and my wife works in central Jersey (car). We park on the street and have not had any issues.

As for realtors, we used Natalia Chebalina (spelling?) and had good results. Hope this helps

Posted on: 2013/4/17 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lenovo wrote:
We are a young couple looking for a safe neighborhood to live in JC. One of us will be commuting into NYC driving daily to east side around Gramercy, while the other will drive south towards New Brunswick.

You guys must have a reason that one of you want to commute to NYC by car, but for the life of me, I can't guess what it might be!

A smart thing to do would be to get rid of one car because driving to New Brunswick does make sense.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I have only one car. I drive to Somerset and she takes PATH and MTA.

Quote:

Currently, we are looking at places in Society Hill and Port Liberte. Budget is no more than 2500, but would really prefer something closer to 2K, for a 2bed 2bath with parking spots. No kids and one small dog.

$2000 sounds like enough budget for a nice 1 bed room apartment. Again, you must have a good reason for looking for 2 bed 2 bath, but I can't figure out what that might be.

And if you have only one car, and if you use it to commute, having a parking spot is NOT necessary in JCDT. I live in Van Vorst Park neighborhood, and when I come home around 6PM, there are plenty of spots available (the longest I ever spent looking for a spot is 3 minutes). The only minor inconvenience is when you take a day off for whatever the reason. Then you need to know where you park because of street cleaning. But you can either move your car, or better, plan ahead when you come home. When I know I'm not going to work the next day, I park where I won't have to move it next day.

Quote:

We looked at a couple of places in PL and they are all 2.5K or more with only one parking spot. Overall, the place seems safe, but secluded. We have not had a chance to venture into Society Hill yet, but have read mixed reviews about the place. It seems the commute to Holland Tunnel will be quicker with PL, but not sure about paying the premium to live there as opposed to SH.

If you are a young couple with no kids, I just don't see why you want to live in a gated community. Again, you must have your reasons...

Quote:

Can you guys provide some insight about either place or which one would be better overall choice? DTJC is out because it is too expensive and parking will be almost impossible to find there. Also, can anyone recommend a good Realtor to use? Are there any other neighborhoods we should be considering? Any other comments/insights and jokes are also welcome

Have you heard of "down-sizing?" If you change your ideas about certain things, like why do we need a 2 bedroom apartment? or why do we need 2 cars? You can enjoy your life in a different but better way.

Well, it's just my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 13:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Driving into NYC on a daily basis is insanity. Tolls, gas, parking in NYC will kill your monthly budget. Traffic backups leaving NYC via the Holland Tunnel frequently can be an hour or more.

Focus your search in the Paulus Hook or Hamilton Park neighborhoods downtown.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/17 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Bayonne is a good choice as is the Heights. You probably can't afford DTJC with your wish list, but you could get lucky.

The one suggestion is you could give up one car and that gives might give you a wider range of places. It's relatively simply to find a place with one spot, but pretty hard to find a space with two.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
If you look at Bayonne and even in Greenville you can find places with driveways.

Agreed, and many of those places are minutes from the rail.

Quote:
Jersey City wise the area around the border of Bayonne and JC isn't so bad. And lots of folks keep saying good things about the Heights.

+1 I also like the area near the Liberty State Park rail off Communipaw but just be careful to choose something high around there, the area is known for flooding.

I live 5 min away from PL and yes it is secluded but I am guessing folks who live there they want that secluded vibe. I prefer neighborhoods than a gated community after living in DM for many years.

So if I had to choose between SH or PL I would choose PL which has a few more amenities than SH. PL has a cafe, gym, & its own ferry service.

SH which is also a gated community, sits in the middle of RT 440 which is noisy and sometimes smelly from all the traffic. There is also no way to get out of SH without a car.

The plus side to living in SH you are across the road from wonder bagels and Vinny's Piza which are quite good. PL and SH are two popular condo complexes within Greenville but neither of them add anything to the surrounding areas they are located. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2013/4/17 11:52

Edited by user1111 on 2013/4/17 12:10:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
We rent in the heights, 2br, 2 parking spots, only one bathroom though, laundry, storage, dishwasher, living/dining room for under 1600. Downtown you can just get the $15 street permit but parking is hard to come by on the street on some nights. If you look at Bayonne and even in Greenville you can find places with driveways.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 4:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

You shouldn't overlook Bayonne. I suggest you visit and look around a bit. You will definitely find a great place with parking spots. Bayonne has a bit of everything, but without the higher crime. And of course you will have access to HBLR and are minutes away from JC.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
if you stay downtown, you can take the PATH and the subway ... you save the driving (gas, toll, parking, depreciation, parking tickets) etc ... and you can raise your budget.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 3:56

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017