Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Old Guard Sees Threat in Youthful NJ Urban Influx
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Just to throw my two cents in ... I'm a 62 year old & I'm voting for the 36 year old.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
Tricks?

Intimidation.

I know of at least one 20+ year resident who's voting the Fulop ticket, but he refuses to post up a campaign sign on his building.

He explained that the JC machine historically has a vicious memory.

In fear of the old-guard retaliation, aka future property tax a$$essments should Team Healy remain, he's keeping his vote private.

I'm sure he is not alone.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
A lot of minority vote (which otherwise would have gone to the mayor) will go to Walker.

Quote:
I am not sure if Fulop can pull enough new voters in the other wards outside of downtown.

Sorry but whites are the minority in JC making up 21.5% of the population and I don't know one who is voting for Walker.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Healy will pull every trick in the book before this thing is over.

I've heard this before. At the risk of sounding naive, exactly what are the tricks Healy will be using? Not that I'm doubting he will pull tricks, but I'm just interested as to what the specific tactics are that a politician can use in an election.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
A lot of minority vote (which otherwise would have gone to the mayor) will go to Walker.

Quote:
I am not sure if Fulop can pull enough new voters in the other wards outside of downtown.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The problem that Fulop is going to face is the zombie vote. By 'zombies' I refer to the 20% or so of the voter base that stumbles to the polls and votes for the machine over and over again.

A lot of them get benefits (or a relative does) from the city: A no-show job that pays a few hundred bucks, or one that has no salary, but gets you on the city's health plan.

If Fulop gets in, a lot of those benefits are going to go away.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. I was almost indifferent to this election, figuring if I had the time on election day I would vote. After seeing Healy's comments I am definitely going to vote, and it will be for Fulop.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Healy is as cynical as they come. He's not an educated person, but he is quite street smart when it comes to the gutter level HCDO politics.

He knows he's full of it with much of what he says, but he also knows his audience/voter base and how to whip them into a frenzy. He's not to be underestimated.

Everyone in JC knows this is a make or break election for JC depending on which future vision you think it best. Healy will pull every trick in the book before this thing is over.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/13 17:20
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The Healy-Fulop debate at the Loews Theatre two weeks ago tells you all you need to know about these guys. The last question was about the future of the Loews. I think the answers provide more insight into the future of this city than answers on crime or taxes.

Here is my take on the debate, and why the "culture question" matters:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-l ... y-city-mayoral-candidates

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
If it weren't for the interlopers, the old guards' properties would not be experiencing such a nice increase in value. It's time for change and i'm looking forward to Fulop and his proactive vision for improving JC, not just being complacent like Healy. Further, i think it's good to have fresh blood in the administration as the older generation is too fixed in their ways to accept new ideas. It will only get better after the election.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 15:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder which one the author was referring to when she referred to political corruption, crime, fiscal mismanagement, and industrial pollution. Couldn't be Fulop because as Healy says he is a relative newcomer an interloper. Oh, by the way he is also talking about most of us on this forum. Many of us are relative newcomers and interlopers too. We should keep our noses out of it so that the status quo remains unchanged and the same people can remain in power.

Quote:

MightyOz wrote:
National media story: Old Guard Sees Threat in Youthful NJ Urban Influx

By KATIE ZEZIMA Associated Press Apr 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
To many longtime Jersey City residents, there's no better mascot than their mayor, a colorful veteran of the region's rough-and-tumble politics who released an album of Christmas classics while in office.

But there's a relative newcomer giving the mayor a run for his money in a race that embodies the changes happening as young urbanites flock to northern New Jersey, looking for some relief from New York City's oppressive rents while still living in an urban area in its orbit.

The campaign between 62-year-old Jerramiah Healy and 36-year-old Steven Fulop personifies the gentrification playing out in cities across the country, from California's Bay Area to New York City, as young, mostly white professionals priced out of certain areas build new lives ? and in some places a new political culture ? amid swaths of the old guard.

Perhaps no place displays the tension as acutely as this slice of northern New Jersey, where political shenanigans have long been a fact of life ? one that newcomers see a chance to change.

"This is indicative of a larger trend. I really think because of housing prices, cheap urban areas are kind of ripe for gentrification," said Brigid Harrison, a professor of political science at Montclair State University. "And as gentrification occurs, there becomes that subsequent change in political leadership."

In Jersey City, a place long plagued by political corruption, crime, financial mismanagement and industrial pollution, the newcomers have settled in gleaming new buildings around the newly developed waterfront. It's where financial companies including Goldman Sachs have put down stakes, creating a Wall Street West.

Others have moved into brownstones around a New Jersey-New York subway station, where some old-timers occasionally yell out to the "yuppies," or using a term that Jersey City natives have adopted, "interlopers."
"I've been around a long time, and Steve is a relative newcomer," [Healy] said. When asked why people should vote for him, Healy said touted reduced crime and increased development and park space.

"If it isn't broke, don't fix it," Healy said.

In an interview at his campaign headquarters, its walls painted with Jersey City landmarks, Fulop, a former Marine who moved to Jersey City shortly after graduating college and was elected to the City Council in 2005, said he cares deeply about quality of life in Jersey City and it doesn't matter whether he was born and raised here.

"I think there's a culture in this administration that's an acceptance of mediocrity," Fulop said. "I think people in this city want results, and Jersey City is at a real crossroads not only for the next four or eight years, but how it's going to be defined for a generation."

Posted on: 2013/4/15 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
"If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

It's plainly obvious that Healy has not the slightest intention of trying to sway the typical Fulop voter, and will attempt to win by via association with Obama and by scaring minorities.

Great way to set an example. A mantra we should all follow. This guy is so embarrasing. I'm just wondering if he truly believes the crap he spews or does he think he's just getting over on us?

Posted on: 2013/4/15 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
"If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

It's plainly obvious that Healy has not the slightest intention of trying to sway the typical Fulop voter, and will attempt to win by via association with Obama and by scaring minorities.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MightyOz wrote:

Old Guard Sees Threat in Youthful NJ Urban Influx

By KATIE ZEZIMA Associated Press Apr 14, 2013

To many longtime Jersey City residents, there's no better mascot than their mayor, a colorful veteran of the region's rough-and-tumble politics who released an album of Christmas classics while in office.

But there's a relative newcomer giving the mayor a run for his money in a race that embodies the changes happening as young urbanites flock to northern New Jersey, looking for some relief from New York City's oppressive rents while still living in an urban area in its orbit.

The campaign between 62-year-old Jerramiah Healy and 36-year-old Steven Fulop personifies the gentrification playing out in cities across the country, from California's Bay Area to New York City, as young, mostly white professionals priced out of certain areas build new lives ? and in some places a new political culture ? amid swaths of the old guard.

Perhaps no place displays the tension as acutely as this slice of northern New Jersey, where political shenanigans have long been a fact of life ? one that newcomers see a chance to change.

"This is indicative of a larger trend. I really think because of housing prices, cheap urban areas are kind of ripe for gentrification," said Brigid Harrison, a professor of political science at Montclair State University. "And as gentrification occurs, there becomes that subsequent change in political leadership."

In Jersey City, a place long plagued by political corruption, crime, financial mismanagement and industrial pollution, the newcomers have settled in gleaming new buildings around the newly developed waterfront. It's where financial companies including Goldman Sachs have put down stakes, creating a Wall Street West.

Others have moved into brownstones around a New Jersey-New York subway station, where some old-timers occasionally yell out to the "yuppies," or using a term that Jersey City natives have adopted, "interlopers."
"I've been around a long time, and Steve is a relative newcomer," [Healy] said. When asked why people should vote for him, Healy said touted reduced crime and increased development and park space.

In an interview at his campaign headquarters, its walls painted with Jersey City landmarks, Fulop, a former Marine who moved to Jersey City shortly after graduating college and was elected to the City Council in 2005, said he cares deeply about quality of life in Jersey City and it doesn't matter whether he was born and raised here.

"I think there's a culture in this administration that's an acceptance of mediocrity," Fulop said. "I think people in this city want results, and Jersey City is at a real crossroads not only for the next four or eight years, but how it's going to be defined for a generation."

Fulop, who represents downtown, said he wants to improve the city's schools, which are under state control. "Fixing the school system is a backbone of making this city livable," he said.

Fulop said Healy's administration has been tainted by corruption, while he has not been touched by it during his time in politics.

A number of Jersey City officials were arrested in 2009 during operation Bid Rig, an effort to root out political corruption in New Jersey that was spearheaded by Gov. Chris Christie when he was a U.S. attorney.

Healy said it was "absurd" to lump him in with those who "fell off the path of service" and were arrested.

"No one was vetted more thoroughly in the state of New Jersey than I was four years ago," he said. "Guess what? I came out clean."

While the two say they have different visions, both agree that things that have driven the influx ? art galleries, new construction, access to transportation ? need to continue. Fulop says he wants more artist types who are priced out of Brooklyn and Queens to consider Jersey City as an option.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 12:45

Old Guard Sees Threat in Youthful NJ Urban Influx
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users

By KATIE ZEZIMA Associated Press Apr 14, 2013, 12:08 PM

Posted on: 2013/4/15 11:59
Follow the yellow brick road.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017