Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City mayor, teachers union warn of layoffs if opposition wins
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
On a side note -- Corey Booker also supports school vouchers -- click link below

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... ie_newark_mayor_cory.html

What do teachers think of Bloomberg's endorcement, LOL

Bloomberg likens teachers union to NRA

Link

Posted on: 2013/4/15 15:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I suppose if you ad Mr. Grecos public pension to his JCEA salary he probably doesn't shop at Pathmark or use too many coupons either!

http://nj-pensions.findthedata.org/l/185376/Greco-Ronald

Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Jersey City mayor, teachers union warn of layoffs if opposition wins

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
April 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM

A proposal by the Jersey City school district to outsource substitute teachers is becoming an issue in the May 14 mayoral race, with Mayor Jerramiah Healy and the local teachers union warning workers that their jobs will be on the line if Healy loses.

At a meeting this week at the Jersey City Education Association office on Kennedy Boulevard, a meeting that was advertised as mandatory for some union members, JCEA President Ron Grecco and Healy painted an ugly portrait of what the school system would become under a Mayor Steven Fulop.

Fulop, the Downtown councilman, is challenging Healy for the mayoralty on May 14.

?This is life or death for us,? Grecco told the workers on Tuesday, according to a recording of the meeting obtained by The Jersey Journal. ?These people are here to do us harm.?

Healy, who is seeking his third full term, joined in, saying Fulop and state education officials plan to bring in people ?from who knows where? to take the place of current school workers.

?A lot of people in this room, in this city are going to be unemployed,? the mayor said.

Grecco said that teacher?s aides, custodians and other workers are all at risk.

Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles, who took helm of the district last year with the support of Fulop and the opposition of Healy, said the district is seeking a company that could supply additional substitute teachers. But any suggestion that the district plans to outsource teacher?s aides, custodians or other workers is false, Lyles said.

?It is not true at all,? she said. ?That?s not true."

Fulop, who has been criticized by the Healy camp for his active involvement in school issues, decried Grecco?s and Healy?s comments at Tuesday?s union meeting.

"I do not support privatization, and the mayor continues to spread lies to create fear in order to protect himself,? Fulop said. ?To be clear, there is only one person that I am looking to relieve of their job and that is Mayor Healy for his poor performance, not anyone in the school district"

The JCEA has endorsed Healy and the mayor?s council slate. At the Tuesday meeting, Grecco, while saying he ?respects? Fulop, took a number of digs at the councilman?s supposed wealth.

?God bless the people that can take 18-month sabbaticals from their job to prepare to run for a mayoral election,? said Grecco, who makes about $100,000 annually according to payroll records. ?People that are in that earning category, they don?t understand what it?s like to go to Pathmark ? he doesn?t know what a coupon is.?

Fulop, a former Wall Street trader who indeed took about a year off to run for mayor, called Grecco?s statement ?lies.?

"My immigrant family owned a deli in Newark, I enlisted in the Marine Corps to serve, worked my way through college and it is shameful that Healy and Ron are resorting to lies to protect themselves,? he said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _heal_9.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/4/15 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This reminds me of the 1985 mayoral race. Some public housing buildings received what looked like an eviction notice signed by Gerry McCann. If McCann wins that rents would skyrocketed to then market rate housing. I know some people thought this was real and physical assaults did occur among different political groups.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
On a side note -- Corey Booker also supports school vouchers -- click link below

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... ie_newark_mayor_cory.html

Posted on: 2013/4/15 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Being forced into a meeting where you're told you'll lose your job if someone gets elected? Man that's sleazy. A lot of conservative business owners tried the same thing in the last presidential election, and that didn't really work so well. Hopefully the teachers won't fall for this.

Sadly they have already bought the lie. The very people they voted into leadership positions proves it. To see these leaders at a BOE meeting firing members & people up looks like something out of a 1940's movies.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 10:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Being forced into a meeting where you're told you'll lose your job if someone gets elected? Man that's sleazy. A lot of conservative business owners tried the same thing in the last presidential election, and that didn't really work so well. Hopefully the teachers won't fall for this.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The scary part is the letter in 2011 where Healy asks the legislature to support vouchers!

http://stevenfulop.com/sites/default/ ... _jersey_city_teachers.pdf

It's odd and disturbing. No matter how you are going to vote and no matter which way you slice it, using teachers as pawns by telling them they and other public education staff will lose their jobs if you don't vote in the guy who openly supports vouchers is nothing short of despicable. Surprising, no. None-the-less extremely cruel to toy with people's fear during tough economic times.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 1:37
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This is misleading scare tactic, under the state takover over no mayor or councilman can interfere with the running of the board of ed. The takeover started under the McCann administration but was finalized under Cucci administration. Mayor Cucci sued to keep the board of ed under local control and lost. If any mayor could do this it would have been Schundler. Schundler had Doria in the assembly introduce the charter school legislation. The state closed several charter schools in JC including CREATE started by Councilman Lipski.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

(I think this news got lost in Sandy, how can you turn down a 40 million dollar grant?)

Head of teachers union refuses to sign race to the top application, says its a contract: report

By The Jersey Journal
on December 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM,
updated December 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Jersey City Educational Association head, Ronald Greco, was supposed to sign the district's application for the $40 million Race to the Top grants,but ultimately did not, saying the application read more like a contract, NJ Spotlight reported.

The application asked for new administrative positions, longer school days and financial incentives for schools and teachers, the article stated.
Greco, who ultimately refused to sign, posted his reasoning on the teachers union's website on November 9.

"The grant would be our new contract. It has spelled out extended day, extended week, and extended year. These are negotiable terms," Greco wrote on the website. "Now you know why I couldn't sign."

NJ Spotlight reported that Greco's refusal to submit the application "might signal that Jersey City schoolteachers might not be so accommodating to state demands."

Contract negotiations beginning this month with a new superintendent and "newly empowered" board of education, will be taking place during the mayoral campaign race in Jersey City, the article stated.

Incumbent Jerramiah Healy has support from the teachers union and city councilman Steven Fulop who supports charter schools and tenure reform are the two contenders for the spot.

JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... achers_union_refuses.html

Posted on: 2013/4/15 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Idiot, yes. Teacher, no. He's just a six-figure goon whose job is to spread fear. A friend of mine on the JCEA told me that Fulop didn't even get invited to interview with their panel to try to get their endorsement.

Sounds like another gorilla who is afraid of a merit-based world.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Grecco is an idiot and I hope he isn't a teacher educating our kids.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 16:25
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
So when did the Mayor get the power to hire and fire teachers?

He doesn't but like the Borg, they are all members of the collective, the HCDO. You hear them scream about Fulop's alleged control over the board BUT they conveniently forget when it was them, through Jolly Charlie Epps, who had control & made sure that family & friends got the plum jobs & it was their donors that were steered towards the lucrative contracts. But let's not let the truth get in the way of their paltry attempts at the only thing they know how to do when their backs are against the wall - character assassinate.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
So when did the Mayor get the power to hire and fire teachers?

Posted on: 2013/4/13 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
If the union meeting was mandatory for the union members who were there and they were called there to be told by Healy they they will lose their jobs if they didn't vote for Healy and Grecco orchestrated the meeting it definitely wasn't an opinion. That was racketeering and it's illegal.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, the lies from Camp Healy are so far fetched, they are becoming ridiculous. Along with this blatant lie that Fulop will lay off teachers, he is now claiming Fulop vote for an abatement fit Goldman Sachs. Check the records... Fulop abstained on that vote. He voted against the Goya abatement because it would only create 9 New jobs while costing taxpayers millions. Pretty sound decision in favor of us residents.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't talking about his opinion. I was talking about him telling union members how to vote. Isn't what he did along the same line as an employer telling an employee how to vote? I'd like to know if he lives in Jersey City. If he doesn't then his opinion really means nothing to me.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
I thought it was illegal in the United States to tell anyone how to vote

Regardless of the subject at hand, you thought wrong.
Not only it is perfectly legal to share one's opinion on how to vote, it is illegal for the Congress to make any law that would infringe on this right.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Shame on you, Terrence McDonald. How does this qualify as news? Dutifully recording the delusional rantings, innuendo and lies of a do-nothing mayor and his lackey friend as a stenographer would seems beneath the threshold of a legitimate news story, even for the Jersey Journal.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it was illegal in the United States to tell anyone how to vote. Shouldn't Grecco know this considering he's in charge? Oh wait. Maybe he just thinks he's in charge. I'm not sure. Maybe someone who pays those exorbitantly high union dues so he can run off at the mouth can explain if he gets paid to tell them how to vote or if that's wishful thinking on his part.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
The only one who should be afraid of being laid off is Greco & his flunkies.

It is NOT the Union president's job to throw fear into the rank & file by way of lies. It is his job to get everyone together, discuss both sides of the issue & let the membership decide or at least make a recommendation based on fact & not who's pulling his strings or lining his pockets. But would you expect less from this group?

Posted on: 2013/4/13 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Why is the head of the teachers union speaking his opinion about our Jersey City Mayoral race as if it's part of his job? I guess he doesn't have much to do during his work day.
The Mayoral race is for Jersey City residents. It's not a job related race. Grecco should shut up.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm assuming that layoffs would occur according to the regulations stipulated in the new NJ Tenure law which allows for dismissing teachers that perform badly in the evaluation process and retaining those with seniority and those that perform well. Seems like a win-win if you vote for Fulop. Get rid of some of the teacher deadwood and get rid of the deadwood in City Hall. As usual, Mr. Healy is siding with the do-nothings who want to continue to be paid for incompetence.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 0:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Exactly where are the current jobs going to be lost if there aren't enough substitutes now?

Healy is 100% fear-based and 0% reality-based on this. How are teachers going to lose jobs if there is a shortage of substitutes? You're adding teachers, not subtracting them. Maybe Mr. Grecco isn't qualified in math.

Anybody who has a problem with getting more substitutes should talk to the kids who signed up for a specialized class, and then diverted to month-long study halls when the substitute pool can't give them a teacher qualified in chemistry, art, or whatever. This is important to their education and critical to college prep.

BTW, it was the JCEA "leadership" which endorsed Healy. They didn't interview Fulop, or ask their members to participate in a selection process. That might have revealed problems when you compare the candidates issue by issue, especially with Healy's support for vouchers (which Fulop opposes). Instead, Ron Grecco chose crony politics over issue politics - an especially bad choice if he picked the wrong candidate.

My own informal poll says that teachers who actually live in Jersey City are about evenly divided between the two candidates.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
And there are plenty of teachers in my neighborhood that think this is really dirty politics on the part of Healy and don't think it is right for their Union to lie to them just to get them to vote a way that will benefit a few.

Why lie?

My feeling is that the Healy campaign is looking to turn people off so badly they don't even want to come out and vote. They rely on low voter turn out and lying to win. Really disgusting. I hope it back fires in their face. Teachers aren't stupid.

There are 100 substitutes on average needed daily city-wide. Many principals call up the administration to put in a request to find out that there is a shortage and they won't get their request filled. This hurts the students, they are the ones that pay the price.

Exactly where are the current jobs going to be lost if there aren't enough substitutes now?

Posted on: 2013/4/12 22:00
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are several teachers in my hood who can't stand Fulop. They can't wait till election day to cast their vote for the same old bullsh*t.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
April 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM

A proposal by the Jersey City school district to outsource substitute teachers is becoming an issue in the May 14 mayoral race, with Mayor Jerramiah Healy and the local teachers union warning workers that their jobs will be on the line if Healy loses.

At a meeting this week at the Jersey City Education Association office on Kennedy Boulevard, a meeting that was advertised as mandatory for some union members, JCEA President Ron Grecco and Healy painted an ugly portrait of what the school system would become under a Mayor Steven Fulop.

Fulop, the Downtown councilman, is challenging Healy for the mayoralty on May 14.

?This is life or death for us,? Grecco told the workers on Tuesday, according to a recording of the meeting obtained by The Jersey Journal. ?These people are here to do us harm.?

Healy, who is seeking his third full term, joined in, saying Fulop and state education officials plan to bring in people ?from who knows where? to take the place of current school workers.

?A lot of people in this room, in this city are going to be unemployed,? the mayor said.

Grecco said that teacher?s aides, custodians and other workers are all at risk.

Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles, who took helm of the district last year with the support of Fulop and the opposition of Healy, said the district is seeking a company that could supply additional substitute teachers. But any suggestion that the district plans to outsource teacher?s aides, custodians or other workers is false, Lyles said.

?It is not true at all,? she said. ?That?s not true."

Fulop, who has been criticized by the Healy camp for his active involvement in school issues, decried Grecco?s and Healy?s comments at Tuesday?s union meeting.

"I do not support privatization, and the mayor continues to spread lies to create fear in order to protect himself,? Fulop said. ?To be clear, there is only one person that I am looking to relieve of their job and that is Mayor Healy for his poor performance, not anyone in the school district"

The JCEA has endorsed Healy and the mayor?s council slate. At the Tuesday meeting, Grecco, while saying he ?respects? Fulop, took a number of digs at the councilman?s supposed wealth.

?God bless the people that can take 18-month sabbaticals from their job to prepare to run for a mayoral election,? said Grecco, who makes about $100,000 annually according to payroll records. ?People that are in that earning category, they don?t understand what it?s like to go to Pathmark ? he doesn?t know what a coupon is.?

Fulop, a former Wall Street trader who indeed took about a year off to run for mayor, called Grecco?s statement ?lies.?

"My immigrant family owned a deli in Newark, I enlisted in the Marine Corps to serve, worked my way through college and it is shameful that Healy and Ron are resorting to lies to protect themselves,? he said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _heal_9.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/4/12 21:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017